Zay Jones drops huge catch. <radio edit>

r00tabaga

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He goes to the Pylon because it is a freaking corner route

He didn't go to the Pylon, he flattened his route and went to the sideline. Also cut down the padding on the coverage nearly allowing the defender coming back to disrupt if the ball was thrown right on him where he ran.

Had he opened his route up to the pylon he'd have been hit in stride. No need to turn, no need to stretch back.

Edited by SwaggatronMcCoy

It's not necessarily a bad throw or a bad route by Zay. Looks like it was a miscommunication where Tyrod thought he would stay inside... another play where it is impossible to know who is at fault. Only the coaches know.

That is irrelevant. Plays don't always go to script. The ball ended up in the receivers hands. It should have been caught.

You have to be kidding- that was a great effort from Jones to even get his hands on it - too high and behind him when he was running the opposite direction.

He's not. The QB who had a whopping 15 yards of offense on his shoulders at the half shall NOT be criticized.

I take the point about the route. It is tough to work out why he breaks to the sideline. It still is a badly thrown ball.

Not if you are expecting a veteran route decision.

I can't for the life of me see how anyone would expect Taylor to drop a ball into a bucket along the sidelines from 40 yards out...........that's rarified throw territory...........it was a route against zone that required an adjustment and had Jones made it properly he walks into the end zone with a TD.

The throw was bad. Zay sat down in a hole in coverage. Tyrod threw it behind him. Zay couldnt make the adjustment. However, I still expect a starting receiver to make that catch. They happen every Sunday, Monday, and Thursday. Tough catch yes. Amazing no.

The throw was perfect, he threw it to where the receiver would run UNDER the ball, Tyrod threw the ball right when Zay broke off his route. Zay made an unnecessary adjustment making a routine catch infinitely times harder( he still should've caught it as he got two hands on it) for himself.

Safety was beat bad. Zay didn't need to go to sidelines. Throw was good gentleman. Best luck to Zay going forward. I still believe in him but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now. I feel awful for him.

Did Tyrod have a chance to win the game....one that nobody saw coming? So many haters. Zay catches that and we score after, then we credit Def,McD & TT with a great win.

Over the inside shoulder and long because the receiver cut the route down flat to the sideline instead of opening it up to the pylon. That's how. That is why Zay had to turn and stretch back.

I'll take your word for it. I don't have the playbook and don't know what route Zay was supposed to run there.

He goes to the Pylon because it is a freaking corner route

And he had already put himself as close to the sideline as you want to be for a guy throwing the ball 40 yards away.........he didn't need to turn his shoulders to the sideline at that point.........he was past the defense and should have anticipated a more TD friendly throw.

I'll save y'all the click bait trouble in summation: "No one knows"

https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/909511839784034307

HAS to be caught. No argument here.

You guys have to be kidding saying that should have been caught. That would have been a miraculous catch.

Now, I don't know where the route was supposed to go, but it looked to be headed to the pylon. If true, the throw wasn't there. If not, then maybe was Jones' fault

Thats not on Zay guys. Lets see any one of you make that catch. Was behind him, he had to twist his body around while his momentum was taking him the other way. Yeah that's Zays fault tyrod missed an open throw.

huh?....and here I thought he would be the perfect fall guy for the "L" despite 59 minutes, 45 seconds of offensively offensive ineptitude............good game call Rick.......

Hands. Hit hands. Catch ball when hits hands. NFL.

Not if TT is the QB, even when the ball hits them in the hands its always his fault because the ball could have always been better. The great Qbs always throw the ball right at the numbers and never need WRs to make catches where the throw is off a bit. Beckham has made a career off of making toutine catches that always hit him in the numbers. has he ever had to make a catch where the throw wasn't perfect?

Except that it hit him in the hands and he dropped it. NFL WRs make catches like that all the time.

Not putting all the blame on Jones, but also not putting all teh blame on TT either. It could have been a better through, but an NFL WR should also be able to make catches on throws that don't have to hit them in the numbers. You think every one of Bradys throws are directly on target to his WRs? If the ball can hit a WR in both hands, they should be able to haul it in

I just watched that replay like 20 times. First thing is if pass is thrown to the sideline it looks like the cb could have made a play on it. Second, if you forget about what would have been a perfect placement of the pass, and view it as a qb throwing the ball up to a receiver to make a play, it was definitely a ball a hell of a lot NFL receivers haul in in that situation (not a CoT member, not a Zay hater)