Power Rankings

Speaking of bets.

@TwitVI

The #Bills made the biggest jump in this week's #NFL Power Poll after upsetting the #Falcons: http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/power-poll/

Tony Mejia continues his coverage on VegasInsider.com this pro football season. Each week throughout the 2017 campaign, users can view his weekly Division Rankings, Playoff Projections, Super Bowl Prediction and Power Poll.

Super Bowl LII Prediction (2/4/18)

Seattle over New England -- As October begins, I'm standing firm with this preseason pick despite the warts both teams put on full display in September. Acquiring Sheldon Richardson to bolster a defensive line that was already capable of causing mayhem in opposing backfield will pay off in the long run. New England will iron out its communication issues on defense. Although Seattle's offensive line concerns are very real, they'll now be able to play conservatively and rely on a defense, that if healthy and whole, is by far the NFL's best given the new look. Earl Thomas is back and looks 100 percent, so the expectation here is that the Seahawks will wind up with the NFC's top record, turning home-field advantage in the playoffs into a Super Bowl appearance. They'll finish the job against the Patriots this time.

Highest risers
Buffalo 17 to 3
Houston 20 to 12
L.A. Rams 21 to 13
N.Y. Jets 30 to 22
Carolina 15 to 8
Detroit 8 to 2
Denver 12 to 7
Seattle 14 to 11
New Orleans 23 to 20
Arizona 24 to 21

How does a PR influence betting? I'm seriously asking. I can't see how anyone with even half a clue would use PR in making a bet. And, which PT rating would they use? They aren't used in setting the spread to any degree, as far as I know.

Depends. Bets start happening on Late Sunday/Monday on every NFL game. The "early money" on say Bills v Bengals on Monday said Bengals by three, and so bookies announced that (early line). Then the PRs come out...Bills #3! Bills #15! Bengals #22! It's all to help the bookies make dough. It's a suckers game

Ask yourself why they make these Power Rankings in the first place?

I'd probably have the Bills between 5-10. They are a drop from being undefeated. They would have 3 great wins if that were the case. Even the Jets aren't nearly as awful as we thought. Denver and Atlanta are great wins though.

I scribbled my list down earlier and had them at 10. I feel like that is fair. Could make a case for top 8. Just keep stacking these wins. 2 from the next 3 is a minimum requirement.

Depends. Bets start happening on Late Sunday/Monday on every NFL game. The "early money" on say Bills v Bengals on Monday said Bengals by three, and so bookies announced that (early line). Then the PRs come out...Bills #3! Bills #15! Bengals #22! It's all to help the bookies make dough. It's a suckers game

Ask yourself why they make these Power Rankings in the first place?

I'm still confused. If the early line comes out, and then PRs come out, what exactly happens? Which PR do the bookes use (since we see there are some big variances in their rankings)?

But for argument's sake, let's say some fans jump on the Bills, due to their high ranking. The line moves with the money, no? The goal is to get about the same amount of money on each team.

You still haven't told me how gamblers (or bookies) use the lines---just that they do (and do it to make money, of course).

power ranking is just a thing. nothing really substantial, just a thing.

a week to week positioning according to success or lack there of. keeps things interesting.

If you take all bias out of the equation then the PR could be as accurate as some stats.

(Did I just write that?)

Like it's done in playoffs seeding

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I scribbled my list down earlier and had them at 10. I feel like that is fair. Could make a case for top 8. Just keep stacking these wins. 2 from the next 3 is a minimum requirement.

That's about right. I'd have them closer to 10 than some of these places. If they stay healthy I think that they play a sustainable style. They are a nightmare for teams if they get ahead especially with the Haushcka addition. They don't make mistakes and sustain drives. It's hard to come from behind against the Bills.

power ranking is just a thing. nothing really substantial, just a thing.

a week to week positioning according to success or lack there of. keeps things interesting.

I must disagree. Power ranking is a real thing and its important. Here is mine:

1. Bills

2. Don't care

3. Everyone else

This actually pissed me off. We beat the Falcons and don't move at all? The Raiders and Redskins ahead of us?

I know these mean nothing, but that's BS

@PFF

Where does your team rank in the PFFELO rankings through four weeks?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-pffelo-power-rankings-week-5

BUF-Bills-Header.png

LAST WEEK: 11

The Bills started this season as PFFELO’s 16th-highest ranked team. I think most (including me) felt that that was a bit optimistic about a team that appeared to be tanking in August. Three wins in four tries later, it looks prophetic. The fifth-highest graded defense has been the backbone of the team, surrendering just 17 points to the reigning MVP Matt Ryan and the Atlanta Falcons on the road last week. Lorenzo Alexander has acclimated to the new defensive scheme, generating six pressures against the Falcons (bringing his total to 16 for the season). Tre’Davious White has been a fantastic rookie, generating a pass breakup in each of his games so far. They started 4-2 last season, so it’s a real question as to whether they sustain it this time around.

MMQB Week 5 Power Rankings has the Bills at #19: https://www.si.com/nfl-power-rankings-2017

19. Buffalo Bills (3-2)

Last Weeks Rank: 14

Points in MMQB Power Poll: 265

Highest-Place Vote: 12th (2)

Lowest-Place Vote: 23rd

Last Weeks Result: Loss at Cincinnati, 20-16

Week 6 Opponent: bye week

Sounds about right considering the injuries. The passing game isn't good enough to win and they're too reliant on D/ST.

@PFF

PFFELO Power Ranking for the NFL heading into Week 6 See the top 10 2b07.png

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2017-pffelo-nfl-power-rankings-week-6

BUF-Bills-Header.png

LAST WEEK: 9

A setback in Cincinnati has the upstart Bills at the bottom of the top 10. As with many teams, their struggles started at the quarterback position. Tyrod Taylor averaged only 4.5 yards per pass attempt overall against the Bengals, and just 2.6 yards per pass attempt when pressured. Losing Charles Clay after only 13 snaps with a knee injury certainly didn’t help, but their lack of efficiency in the running game (only 3.4 yards per carry, 1.58 after contact) has been an issue all year. If their 27th-highest graded run blocking can’t improve, moving the ball will continue to be a difficult proposition in Buffalo, applying additional strain on a defense probably already playing at their ceiling through five games.

fivethirtyeight has the Bills as 11th on their ratings after Sunday's games. If the Redskins beat the Eagles on Monday night, that could slip to 12th, but here's the interesting part:

4th highest rating in the AFC. NE, KC, PIT ... [gap] ... then Bills. And the projected record now? 9-7. Right at a 50% chance of making the playoffs. Bills continue to be competitive in every game (and actually winning most of them) while the competition (Denver? WTF?) continues to backslide. So am I saying this is a legitimate playoff contender? Yes. Yes I am.

@TheBillsWire

#GoBillsNFL_2017_BUFBills_v2.png fall out of top 10 in USA Today's Power Rankings despite win

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/24/buffalo-bills-usa-today-power-rankings-week-7/

Due to their flawed victory, Buffalo has dropped in USA Today’s latest power rankings. They’re now ranked at No. 12, a 3-spot drop from their Week 6 ranking. This is the Bills’ first time out of the top ten since Week 4.

lol...how many "flawed" wins does NE have...what a bunch of malarkey....

Yeah really... Pats would have lost to the Bucs if he wasnt for the Bucs kicker.

While the Bills led a majority of the game... its not like Humpheries just gave us the win. Tre White just made a great play after allowing a TD on perfect coverage.