Bills "can't wait to unleash Tyrod Taylor"

HappyDays

Clay had his hands on it. Catch the damm ball

No kidding. It bounced off of his hands.

Because I already know the one who, after 6 years in the league, isn't taking any team beyond a .500-ish season.

How ish is 500ish?

In 30 games, the Bills have a .533 winning percentage with Hotrod under center.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you don't watch much football do you? I did the stat comparison and TT outplayed Cam last year by so much including Cam's MVP season only some of his numbers were better. If you don't like Tyrod you would despise Cam and his sub 60% completion percentage. You know if you watched him play at all.

Wow, that Cam guy sounds terrible.

Carolina should trade us Cam for Tyrod, straight up.

Think Carolina will do it?

I didn't think so.

How ish is 500ish?

In 30 games, the Bills have a .533 winning percentage with Hotrod under center.

Exactly. Unless he's on some team like the Denver and Baltimore, where you could throw a trained monkey under center and still win, no team he QBs is going anywhere above that .500-ish threshold. In my opinion, of course. Which is based on two years of fact.

Exactly. Unless he's on some team like the Denver and Baltimore, where you could throw a trained monkey under center and still win, no team he QBs is going anywhere above that .500-ish threshold. In my opinion, of course. Which is based on two years of fact.

You still didn't answer my question. Where does .500ish end. Evidently it's beyond .533 somewhere.

I'm not a TT critic, I think he's good enough to take us to the playoffs with a top 8 defense and top 5 rushing team.

With a few more breaks - or a few less injuries - the Bills could have gotten in the playoffs last year. That was (please remember) with a crappy defense often collapsing into full meltdown mode. If they hadn't thrown it away with Miami and given it away with the Jets, I think only one other game had to turn right. So on the face of it, to say the team needs a super elite defense to reach the playoffs seems counterfactual & strange. If I had to guess, the "logic" goes like this : Evidence notwithstanding, Taylor is a very, very "bad" quarterback. Evidence notwithstanding, all "bad" quarterbacks need a super-elite defense to make the playoffs. Ergo, the Bills need .... etc, etc, QED.

Edited by grb

Has he ever called an audible and have you ever noticed him call an audible are two different things.

I don't pretend to be an expert, but he audibled at least once in week one as the color commentator actually pointed it out.

Heck, I remember last year he audibled before completing a plus-minus forty yard pass - to Goodwin I believe - not sure of the game.

Don't you wonder about the mentality of people who pretend believing Taylor can't audible, or say he isn't even a starting quarterback?

It seems to go beyond mere trolling to some weird psychiatric obsession.......

• Item : Gugny loves the kid
  • Item : Gugny wants to believe in him
  • Item : Gugny isn't rooting for him to fail
  • Item : Gugny would love to be able to stick with Taylor and not draft a quarterback
  • Item : Gugny is full of (insert scatological obscenity here)

Of course you already knew that last one, right?

Edited by grb

I kept waiting to see these plays and they never came. Zay Jones got zero separation the entire half. Matthews got very very little.

This bothers me. This has to be the 3rd or 4th person Ive heard this from. Our WRs are gonna need to do better if this is true. We wont be able to wjn every game witn our WRs only contributing 5 recs.

Heck, I remember last year he audibled before completing a plus-minus forty yard pass - to Goodwin I believe - not sure of the game.

Don't you wonder about the mentality of people who pretend believing Taylor can't audible, or say he isn't even a starting quarterback?

It seems to go beyond mere trolling to some weird psychiatric obsession.......

Hahaha. Psychiatric obsession. Hahah

Well said.

I will look at it. To me, and I have seen it about eight times, it was both a kinda bad pass and a dropped ball. There is no question he could have made a better pass. And high and behind are extra hard to make. But to me there is also no question that your big dollar TE has to make that touchdown catch when it hits his hands like that. Both things can be true.

I don't think you can use a play like that as an example of "missing open receivers" when the play is clearly there to be had, he looks at Clay all the way, he's open for a touchdown and it should have been a touchdown. You can blame him for not throwing a good pass, sure. But IMO you can't say that he missed a way open guy in Zay Jones.

Btw, where is that link to the pass. I can't find it.

Edit. Found it. Doesn't change my opinion of it. Not great pass. Still should have been caught.

It is not the pass to me that is the issue and I feel very justified from my earlier posts. The pick is on TT not because of the pass - where he put the pass was not great, but Clay had a shot - it was how late the pass to Clay was.

I will repeat and for those that need to watch it there are links in this thread and others. TT gets to the end of his drop and he is looking for Clay. Clay makes a break at the 4 and pulls immediately away from the LB and is open. TT pulls the ball down and drifts one step to the left. Clay is still open and a throw there to the exact same spot he eventually throws it and it would have been a touchdown, but TT drifts one more step to the left and then tries to fit the ball into the only open spot left high and behind the TE at that point.

Clay gets a hand on the ball barely - He could of done better and that part is on Clay, but the pass at that point was way to late. That is what I saw live - that is what I saw on replay - now that is confirmed on the All-22. As I have repeatedly stated - it was not where he threw the ball that was the issue - it was when - especially after watching him stare at Clay the entire play - he has his eyes right on the final location from just after the snap - that part is all on TT.

As I said - this to me was a standard TT game - he made some nice plays and missed some plays. He made some good throws and some throws that were late. He moved out of the pocket unnecessarily a few times and into more pressure, but also stayed in the pocket. It was a standard game - nothing to complain about and nothing to get excited about. He will play better in a few games this year and will play worse in a few games and will have 7 or so other games in this very vein.

There is a ton of argument on both side because we are a passionate fan base and TT is so middle of the road. There are guys that want better and bash TT for things that an Elite QB can do - that TT will never do - and there are people that praise TT for doing things that make him a Top 10 QB like completion percentage and TD/INT ratio and running the ball. Both sides are correct and both sides want to see someone that will help the team win - it is all about perspective and what you are willing to look for.

I for one love the argument when both sides bring facts and info and there are many ways for both sides to be correct. I dislike the few extremes on both sides that just fling out crap like it is truth. The nice thing is it seems there a larger number willing to bring their opinions with some facts and we need more of that and less cold hard statements.

Edited by Rochesterfan

You still didn't answer my question. Where does .500ish end. Evidently it's beyond .533 somewhere.

Oh, I misinterpreted your question, I'm sorry, reddog. I'd say 9-7 would be the ceiling. But not this year. This year, I predicted 4 wins. Five would not shock me.

• Item : Gugny loves the kid
  • Item : Gugny wants to believe in him
  • Item : Gugny isn't rooting for him to fail
  • Item : Gugny would love to be able to stick with Taylor and not draft a quarterback
  • Item : Gugny is full of (insert scatological obscenity here)

Of course you already knew that last one, right?

I love you. You single?

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Football Outsiders says he has the 13th highest DYAR and 10th highest DVOA

Just a note for people who don't know - DVOA isn't very helpful until after Week 4, which is when they start adjusting for strength of opponent. The first 4 weeks they keep everything equal. That being said, it does at least tell us that in a vacuum and adjusting for game situation Tyrod Taylor played like the 10th most efficient QB in Week 1. That is only for passing, no rushes are included. Let's hope it keeps up! Edited by HappyDays

Yes.

Because I already know the one who, after 6 years in the league, isn't taking any team beyond a .500-ish season.

Why is that so difficult?

And go ahead and compare Tyrod to Cam Newton. I can respect that. Just don't put their stats side by side and as me to take it seriously.

Clay most certainly did not have 4 drops in that game.

He had 3 though, and said as much in his own interview the next morning. Also said he should have caught the TD that got picked as it "went right through my hands".

Recipe ideas?

(I just had to get to Page 40)

In honor of the Florida Keys, Key Lime Pound Cake

He had 3 though, and said as much in his own interview the next morning. Also said he should have caught the TD that got picked as it "went right through my hands".

This is good to hear, that he's taking responsibility. Now can he fix it.

It is not the pass to me that is the issue and I feel very justified from my earlier posts. The pick is on TT not because of the pass - where he put the pass was not great, but Clay had a shot - it was how late the pass to Clay was.

I will repeat and for those that need to watch it there are links in this thread and others. TT gets to the end of his drop and he is looking for Clay. Clay makes a break at the 4 and pulls immediately away from the LB and is open. TT pulls the ball down and drifts one step to the left. Clay is still open and a throw there to the exact same spot he eventually throws it and it would have been a touchdown, but TT drifts one more step to the left and then tries to fit the ball into the only open spot left high and behind the TE at that point.

Clay gets a hand on the ball barely - He could of done better and that part is on Clay, but the pass at that point was way to late. That is what I saw live - that is what I saw on replay - now that is confirmed on the All-22. As I have repeatedly stated - it was not where he threw the ball that was the issue - it was when - especially after watching him stare at Clay the entire play - he has his eyes right on the final location from just after the snap - that part is all on TT.

As I said - this to me was a standard TT game - he made some nice plays and missed some plays. He made some good throws and some throws that were late. He moved out of the pocket unnecessarily a few times and into more pressure, but also stayed in the pocket. It was a standard game - nothing to complain about and nothing to get excited about. He will play better in a few games this year and will play worse in a few games and will have 7 or so other games in this very vein.

There is a ton of argument on both side because we are a passionate fan base and TT is so middle of the road. There are guys that want better and bash TT for things that an Elite QB can do - that TT will never do - and there are people that praise TT for doing things that make him a Top 10 QB like completion percentage and TD/INT ratio and running the ball. Both sides are correct and both sides want to see someone that will help the team win - it is all about perspective and what you are willing to look for.

I for one love the argument when both sides bring facts and info and there are many ways for both sides to be correct. I dislike the few extremes on both sides that just fling out crap like it is truth. The nice thing is it seems there a larger number willing to bring their opinions with some facts and we need more of that and less cold hard statements.

Good post! Agree love discussion when both sides bring facts.

I might just be regressing to Hopeful, but I'm hopeful for progression. I thought I saw some things out of TT that I hadn't seen except Wk 16 last year - I felt he stepped up in the pocket more, I felt he bailed early less.

This is the sort of thing that isn't worth arguing about, because only time will tell. If it's progression, we'll see more and more of it. If it's a flash, it'll come and go.

On the Clay throw, I personally agree with those who thought Zay Jones was his first read and he was waiting for Zay to get open - which Zay finally did, after Taylor decided he had to move on. I think he moved left to get a throwing lane over the DLman. But that's just me, no salesman will call. I do feel our OL is still a problem, especially the R side still isn't bringing the "Nasty"

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

....great ASSESSMENT as usual ROCHESTER....folks dwelling on "FRANCHISE" or "ELITE" monikers, both of which are arbitrarily defined, miss the point IMO.....I'd take a steady, dependable and CONSISTENT guy everyday...IF he becomes elite or franchise, so be it....if he wins ball games being "Steady Eddie", I'd take it.....CERTAINLY 7-9 cannot be solely attributed to him with a big chunk of the blame going to the defensive dismantling by Wrecks......at the same time, citing his individual stats can become misleading as they are highly manipulative to make one's point.....yes he's seven years in the league with only two facing live ammo, but I still think he struggles with processing the entire field in <5 seconds for the passing game and that his wheels have extended .his opportunity to still be considered as an NFL starter....but I see that window of opportunity closing post 2017 if he doesn't demonstrate a highly improved read/field processing ability in short order.....just my opinion......

In honor of the Florida Keys, Key Lime Pound Cake

This is good to hear, that he's taking responsibility. Now can he fix it.

Good post! Agree love discussion when both sides bring facts.

I might just be regressing to Hopeful, but I'm hopeful for progression. I thought I saw some things out of TT that I hadn't seen except Wk 16 last year - I felt he stepped up in the pocket more, I felt he bailed early less.

This is the sort of thing that isn't worth arguing about, because only time will tell. If it's progression, we'll see more and more of it. If it's a flash, it'll come and go.

On the Clay throw, I personally agree with those who thought Zay Jones was his first read and he was waiting for Zay to get open - which Zay finally did, after Taylor decided he had to move on. I think he moved left to get a throwing lane over the DLman. But that's just me, no salesman will call. I do feel our OL is still a problem, especially the R side still isn't bringing the "Nasty"

I agree - I have looked at it from about a million angles. I think Zay is his first read - the issue I have and it is small, but there is 1 defender that he should be reading to determine where to go. There is a safety? (the one that ends up hitting Clay) that is the key to this play. If he slides toward Clay - Zay should be the read - if he slides down and out (as he does) then TT must come off Zay and hit Clay nearly immediately . It should of taken a 1/2 second to read during the drop back and then the ball has to come out to Clay.

TT holds the ball moves to the left to perhaps open a lane and then finally comes off and picks up Clayto late. At that point Clay is bracketed by defenders. The pass itself was within the realm of making a catch, but the time is where I had an issue.

Again overall TT was what we have seen and if the D can play at that level we will be fine.

Edited by Rochesterfan

but I still think he struggles with processing the entire field in <5 seconds for the passing game and that his wheels have extended .his opportunity to still be considered as an NFL starter....but I see that window of opportunity closing post 2017 if he doesn't demonstrate a highly improved read/field processing ability in short order.....just my opinion......

I grabbed the quickest stat I could find (from ESPN) :

League-wide, quarterbacks took 2.48 seconds to get rid of the ball in 2015. That number has gone down for four consecutive years. And there does appear to be the makings of a trend. Twenty quarterbacks were at 2.5 seconds or quicker last season; only seven hit that mark 2012

I seem to remember Taylor was the slowest of the slow in 2016, clocking in at 3.22 seconds. So if he can't "process the field" in under five seconds, no wonder he barely ever completes a pass and constantly throws interceptions. As an aside, the same ESPN article has Dalton, Brady and Peyton as the top three fastest (in 2015), starting at 2.20 seconds. It's a sign of the razor-sharp margins of high level athletics that there's only a second's difference between most lightening fast and slowest sluggard. It's like the Olympics, where the same athletes win time & again - but always in margins of a tenth or hundredth of a second. How can such a margin consistently exist?

Edited by grb

I grabbed the quickest stat I could find (from ESPN) :

League-wide, quarterbacks took 2.48 seconds to get rid of the ball in 2015. That number has gone down for four consecutive years. And there does appear to be the makings of a trend. Twenty quarterbacks were at 2.5 seconds or quicker last season; only seven hit that mark 2012

I seem to remember Taylor was the slowest of the slow in 2016, clocking in at 3.22 seconds. So if he can't "process the field" in under five seconds, no wonder he barely ever completes a pass and constantly throws interceptions. As an aside, the same ESPN article has Dalton, Brady and Peyton as the top three fastest (in 2015), starting at 2.20 seconds. It's a sign of the razor-sharp margins of high level athletics that there's only a second's difference between the most lightening fast and slowest sluggard. It's like the Olympics, where the same athletes win time & again - but always in margins of tenth or hundredth of a second. How is it possible such a margin consistently exist?

Time of release may be the stupidest stat in any sport without context. Grossly affected by play calling, line play, scrambling ability, teammates abilities, etc.

Time of release may be the stupidest stat in any sport without context. Grossly affected by play calling, line play, scrambling ability, teammates abilities, etc.

You could say the same kind of thing about virtually any stat. But given the slowest numbers were all from extremely mobile quarterbacks, it's pretty clear the bottom end was heavily influenced by scrambling. Of course a stat with all the numbers bunched within one second of each other has limited value, even before adding context. Suffice it to say Brady is more decisive than Taylor, and all NFL quarterbacks have to see, read, decide, and act by three ticks of a second hand. Even while being assaulted by 300lb behemoths, no less........

Edited by grb

You could say the same kind of thing about virtually any stat. But given the slowest numbers were all from extremely mobile quarterbacks, it's pretty clear the bottom end was heavily influenced by scrambling. Of course a stat with all the numbers bunched within one second of each other has limited value, even before adding context. Suffice it to say Brady is more decisive than Taylor, and all NFL quarterback have to be able to see, read, decide, and act by three ticks of a second hand. Even while being assaulted by 300lb behemoths, no less........

If Brady has the ball for over three seconds, he's throwing it away. TT (and Wilson, Tannehill, Cam) are far more likely to break from the pocket and extend the play to 5+ seconds. There are far more such outliers that will skew the average for mobile QBs.

If Brady has the ball for over three seconds, he's throwing it away. TT (and Wilson, Tannehill, Cam) are far more likely to break from the pocket and extend the play to 5+ seconds. There are far more such outliers that will skew the average for mobile QBs.

Based on Week 1, Time-to-throw is a mixed bag at both ends.

Sure, Tyrod and Russell Wilson are at the bottom (taking the longest), but so too is Brady.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

Then you've got more mobile guys like Watson, Prescott, and Mariota that find themselves in the middle of the pack.

Based on Week 1, Time-to-throw is a mixed bag at both ends.

Sure, Tyrod and Russell Wilson are at the bottom (taking the longest), but so too is Brady.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

Then you've got more mobile guys like Watson, Prescott, and Mariota that find themselves in the middle of the pack.

Brady was dealing with a Bills-like mess at receiver. People here have insisted it shouldn't make a difference - often citing Brady as their proof. Needless to say however, it does.

Brady was dealing with a Bills-like mess at receiver. People here have insisted it shouldn't make a difference - often citing Brady as their proof. Needless to say however, it does.

Well, it matters from a standpoint of comfort level IMO. He's missing Edelman and Amendola--the two WRs with which he has the highest comfort level. He hasn't played with Cooks at all, and only has 1 season with Hogan.

Last year he cant carry the offense. Did so vs Seattle in Seattle. He cant throw over 300 yards. Did so vs Miami. He wont use the TE. Over the last 4 games Clay leads the team in touchdown catches ans led the team in catches last year. This offseason and for 2 years, he cant throw over the middle. Goes 7-8 I believe. As a Bills fan I am happy with Taylor as a QB. Does everything you ask of him. Give him a defense that wont fold in the 4th quarter and he will lead us to the playoffs.

The issue is not whether he CAN do those things. The issue is that his level of play has been so inconsistent. We've seen scrub QBs have big games on occasion but they always revert back to their norm. Tyrod is similar except his norm is better than those scrubs. He's not a guy that's going to carry an offense or will put up big numbers. He's mostly a function of the things around him. If the running game and defense are doing well then he's usually good. Cherry picking a single instance in your scenario is flawed when it ignores his entire body of work. I play golf, and there are times off the tee where I have great drives down the middle of the fairway and score well on holes but those are few and far between. That's not who I am as a golfer consistently and the Miami and Seattle performances are not who Tyrod is consistently either.....yet

Edited by Bangarang

Well, it matters from a standpoint of comfort level IMO. He's missing Edelman and Amendola--the two WRs with which he has the highest comfort level. He hasn't played with Cooks at all, and only has 1 season with Hogan.

Amendola played and had 6 catches for 100 yards on 7 targets vs the Chiefs last Thursday.

Edited by old school