Nate Peterman Love .. anyone vs. 2018 QB draft??

I admit that tonight was impressive. His release was as quick as I've seen from a QB, with some zip on the ball. HOWEVER, he was also only being asked to make one read. This is also the 4th preseason game, which we all know what teams show.

I think he showed enough to give him a chance when this season gets out of hand. And by that I mean, if TT isn't showing why he is ABSOLUTELY the QB of our future and we are below .500 halfway through the season, I give Peterman.

As for the comment about comparing him to Trent Edwards? Again, I don't know how you can compare them after such as short amount of time. Yes, he hasn't gone deep, but neither has Tyrod.

I'll have to watch the replay to see if that's true. Some were saying he was locking onto his primary receiver last week as well, and that wasn't true at all.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TT was one of the best QBs in 2016 under pressure.

But wasn't he also sacked the most? That may seem like a knock on the offensive line but a lot of those are on TT. He holds onto the ball way to long. Tyrod can do amazing things when it looks like a play is dead, but he needs to stop getting to that point on every singe series. Once in a while is ok, but it seems like every 3rd down is a backyard scramble drill. Drop back, go thru the reads and throw the ball. There is way to much dancing and waiting with Tyrod. Drop back make a decison and throw the ball.

You cant compare Peterman to Captain check down - Peterman had several completions of more than 5 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000837592/article/nathan-petermans-solid-preseason-continues-for-bills

In two drives, he completed passes that went for 15, 12, 11, 11 and 10 yards.

Do the math. 81 - 59 = 22. So the other 4 completions were for 22 yards.

Are we really going to argue about if he throws long passes or not?

"Nate Peterman is developing," Bills coach Sean McDermott said. "It's important he goes through the process. I was proud of the way he played."

I'll have to watch the replay to see if that's true. Some were saying he was locking onto his primary receiver last week as well, and that wasn't true at all.

His snap to release was so quick, I can't imagine how he could've done more than that. It seemed like a lot of quick plays and we were just a step ahead of the defense on them.

I'm not taking anything away from him and I agree that last week he made multiple reads. So it's not to say he can't do it. This week, the play calls and prep was just didn't.

His snap to release was so quick, I can't imagine how he could've done more than that. It seemed like a lot of quick plays and we were just a step ahead of the defense on them.

I'm not taking anything away from him and I agree that last week he made multiple reads. So it's not to say he can't do it. This week, the play calls and prep was just didn't.

Kelso said on the radio broadcast the plays looked like they were designed to avoid him getting hit, which was smart

There is one thing about Peterman in the preseason games that reminds me SO MUCH of Trent Edwards. Where are the throws downfield? I don't mean 40 yard fly patterns, but how about crossing patterns or slants where the ball travels 15-20 yards past the line of Scrimmage? It is like watching Trent Edwards all over.

It's the offense we run now...lots of short stuff

So my take on Peterman is that he has the potential to be a special starting QB in the NFL. I study football and have a NFL Draft War Room in my home! I doubled-up my accelerated Master's degree program at St. Bonaventure in Strategic Leadership so I could Graduate last December in advance of the rest of my class. It was critical that I did so, so I could watch all the bowl games, East/West especially, National Championshiip Game, watch video on college prospects, watch the NFL Combine in Indy, read about pro days etc... I have my own system of measures and analytics to determine the order of my draft board. My success rate in drafting NFL players has been much better than the Bills track record over the past 15 years! Although that isn't much to brag about, as I could've achieved that by purchasing 3 NFL Draft Magazines at the grocery store! The last QB that I felt so sure about and had as a Bills selection on my draft card was: Russel Wilson! We would have also drafted other great player's like Hali Ngnata, Rob Gronkowski, G.Bay's Clay etc.. My drafts would've netted us 13 current All-Pro's on our roster! (Much like our '90-93 roster) Not all of my picks have been hits, but few are misses! Drafting is an imperfect art, but you can increase your odds by staying clear of certain red flags: Behavioral, Medical... And putting emphasis on fully committed players who are Seniors! Certain physical characteristics are important factors, but not every outlier should be discarded...That's where I saw the value of Russel Wilson and weighed the intangibles of character, leadership, and work ethic! Barring injury, I just knew he was going to be elite... he may lack ideal height, but he more than compensates through improvising and finding a pathway to success! Everything I read and seen of him told me that he had something special within!!! There were clues that Ryan Leaf might fail... just some breadcrumb trails, but they were present to the watchful eye!

My point is that I had Nathan Peterman on my draft board in the 4th round. After everything was analyzed thoroughly, I was certain that Peterman had the character, drive and ability to potentially be a tier 1 QB! His height is adequate (not ideal) and he can needle the ball in tight windows and make most NFL throws. I believe he could add some arm strength to improve his velocity and ability to throw the long-ball which may be his two weaknesses. Peterman should and will work on his strength and conditioning and should improve his arm/shoulder strength.... He has good feet, can scramble when necessary and is a student of the game and makes intelligent choices both on and off the field! He played a pro-style offense as QB at Pitt and was a great leader who led his team past Clemson! (Their only loss) Everything I see tells me that Nathan Peterman is destined to be a Top Tier Starting QB in the NFL and win championships! I think he will get the breaks that give him the opportunities to showcase his talent at the position. I think he has many intangibles that outweigh any limitations that are revealed. He is the most NFL ready QB in the 2017 draft and I nearly lost my composure when the Bills selected Nathan Peterman!

In 2016 the opposite reaction was reserved for the Reggie Ragland pick! I was upset as the pick did not make sense to me as I had red flags on my draft board and could not fathom given up additional ammo (draft picks) to select him! Unfortunate, one year later I was proven right! I may have gotten off topic slightly, but I rarely comment as I learn much more from reading, watching and analyzing than talking (typing)! Thanks 🙏 for bearing with me and I don't expect many of you to agree with most of what I've said, but I have been proven right often enough where I have confidence in my opinions on drafting and on Nathan Peterman. I could envision myself in the front office of the Buffalo Bills. Not because of earnings...as that's not a true motivator... it's the passion that matters!!! Go Bills!!! 🏈

I've been impressed with Peterman this preseason, especially for a rookie.

You see him going through his progressions, making some nice reads to find his open receiver and is using the whole field. He looks very comfortable playing in the pocket. He knows how to step up/climb & keep his eyes down field and doesn't panic as soon as the pocket starts collapsing.

I thought he's picked up the offense quickly and looks very comfortable on the field running things. Doesn't seem to get too flustered out there. Seems to fit this offense well. He's been able to get the ball out quickly and his ball placement has been pretty good for the most part.

Peterman obviously still has plenty to work on and I don't think we should throw him to the wolves yet (unless TT isn't ready to go) but I definitely have hope for him. He's looking like a very good backup at the very least and I think he has potential to be the Bills starting QB, even if just as a bridge to a more permanent guy. I'm hopeful he can be more than that, though.

But It's really hard to make any real, definitive judgements on him during preseason. I want to see him against legit #1's when these a game plan against him.

Hes certainly made the team but predicting that hell be elite is guesswork at best. If/when he does start teams will break down his tendencies and take away what he does best, just like they did to Tyrod last year and many other QBs early in their careers, and thats when well find out just how good he is. If Tyrod is putrid in the first quarter of the season Peterman might get a shot by game five or six. If Tyrod is average I think Peterman continues to sit which IMO would be the best thing for his development. It would be great to not have to pick a qb next year and use all those picks on other needs. Maybe the Bills got lucky for a change. It would be nice.

Edited by Billsmovinup

How about no evaluations of day 3 qbs in their first preseason that include essentially saying they are without flaw and make the right reads, are highly accurate, strong armed and athletic leaders?

I didn't say he COULDNT succeed. I said he was a day 3 pick because 32 gms agreed he was a prospect with shortcomings - which stands to reason either he's changed as a player or all 32 whiffed incredibly bad.

He could succeed - but is likely a project and certainly a long shot.

OK .... let me ask you this after the close of Pre-Season ... has Nate showed you more, less, or what you expected as a 5th round pick playing in the pre-season?

Net of his throws under pressure and inability to throw a 60 yard bomb which are so prevalent in today's NFL ... where are his shortcoming versus what we have on roster?

JM2009, on 31 Aug 2017 - 10:26 PM, said:

snapback.png

TT was one of the best QBs in 2016 under pressure.

He has a FREAKISH ability to escape. How many times are you sure he's nailed, but then..... What he does next?

And one of the most sacked QB's in 2016. or should that be the most sacked QB of 16?

Am I telling a lie?

The long ball....

The Bills employed a bevy of three-step drops with Peterman in (likely to help keep him healthy). The rookie quarterback displayed good pocket presence, got the ball out quickly, showed good accuracy and timing with receivers. In two drives, he completed passes that went for 15, 12, 11, 11 and 10 yards.

5 first downs (unless some were down and 10+ yds)

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Yeah, a little while after I posted that, I figured he was probably told to get the ball out as quickly as possible.

Kelso said on the radio broadcast the plays looked like they were designed to avoid him getting hit, which was smart

It's the offense we run now...lots of short stuff

It was the smart decision.

I think people are forgetting too. Nathan Peterman is NOT a Brandon Beane pick. He is going to take his QB next year

Depends on how he plays this year. And where the Bills pick and who is available at that spot.

Yeah, a little while after I posted that, I figured he was probably told to get the ball out as quickly as possible.

It was the smart decision.

Depends on how he plays this year. And where the Bills pick and who is available at that spot.

He isnt going to play much

Interesting to me to see his ball compared to Kaaya. Coming out they were both knocked for arm strength but to me it looked like NP had way more zip.

Yeah, and Sal just said at this point last year Kaaya was supposed to be the best QB coming out. How things changed and how they again will change for next year. Who knows what will happen throughout this college year and in the draft. Better to develop the known in Peterman because what is thought will happen leading up to next year may not happen at all.

He was looking all over the field last night. No locking on at all.

If true, great. I'm recording the replay at 10 AM but won't be able to watch until tomorrow. I'll do that with my oldest, who is getting a man-crush on Nate (he previously and probably still has one on Chad Kelly, but I'm trying to wean him off of that).

There is no way to know this. Injury, a poor first month by TT, and getting knocked out of the playoffs are all scenarios where he could play a lot.

Anything could happen, but this is the QB plan according to Beane:

“He's our starter. Make no bones about it... he's gonna lead us out there and that's really all we're focused on. Nathan's a rookie. This takes time, that's a big jump. He's making his progressions, we think he's done a nice job. Tyrod has played in this league. He's started a lot of games. He deserves this opportunity, and that's really all we're focused on is him being our starter this year.”

There is one thing about Peterman in the preseason games that reminds me SO MUCH of Trent Edwards. Where are the throws downfield? I don't mean 40 yard fly patterns, but how about crossing patterns or slants where the ball travels 15-20 yards past the line of Scrimmage? It is like watching Trent Edwards all over.

Not at all, this is an amateur take of Peterman. Trent checked down on throws, the throws that Peterman are making are not checkdowns, rather they are routes that are designed by the offense and he's been making decisive throws that correspond with the intended routes.

No chance, the Bills aren't getting all of this draft capital to build around a guy that they passed on like 5 times in the draft. That should tell you how confident they are in him becoming the guy.

That could of been said for Tom Brady as well- sometimes the "resident experts" are wrong. It would be nice if that is the case with Peterman.

Anything could happen, but this is the QB plan according to Beane:

“He's our starter. Make no bones about it... he's gonna lead us out there and that's really all we're focused on. Nathan's a rookie. This takes time, that's a big jump. He's making his progressions, we think he's done a nice job. Tyrod has played in this league. He's started a lot of games. He deserves this opportunity, and that's really all we're focused on is him being our starter this year.”

No, I've been saying they all but have to go with TT as the starter. I'm just saying that things could happen to change that.

Not at all, this is an amateur take of Peterman. Trent checked down on throws, the throws that Peterman are making are not checkdowns, rather they are routes that are designed by the offense and he's been making decisive throws that correspond with the intended routes.

It's not an amateur take at all. They may end up being nothing alike but Trent Edwards came out of Stanford and was "known" for his quick release and decision making. His early success with the Bills was on a lot of short/quick routes, being quick to decide where to go with the ball and his quick release. He wasn't checking down in the beginning of his career. That sounds a lot like Peterman. And if you don't believe me go back and read what people had to say about Trent, there is plenty on this site and if you search via google. Or watch the games.

He became Captain Checkdown after teams took away the short stuff and made him look for longer routes. He would get rattled and check down.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

So the comparison to Trent Edwards is they both looked good in preseason and had similar traits? Problem with Edwards wasn't where he started but where he ended. So that's not a bad comparison.

Have a feeling that Peterman is better than Edwards.

Have a feeling that Peterman is better than Edwards.

Problem is, you won't know until a defense challenges him and takes away the short/quick throws. The 2 times I saw it happen, both against the Ravens, he almost threw an interception and he almost fumbled scrambling. Need to see more of what he's capable of doing in those situations.

Problem is, you won't know until a defense challenges him and takes away the short/quick throws. The 2 times I saw it happen, both against the Ravens, he almost threw an interception and he almost fumbled scrambling. Need to see more of what he's capable of doing in those situations.

The almost INT was a dumb decision to throw it trying to avoid a sack. He'll learn from that. As for the fumble, he'll also learn from that. But IIRC, they were jailbreak plays.

Definitely liked what I saw from Peterman last night, but again, it's a lot of 2nd/3rd string guys out there. But I like how quickly he gets rid of it. He's decisive and accurate for the most part. There were some downfield throws as well and overall he looked sharp. Sometimes I feel like he's a better fit for Dennison's offense than Taylor. I think Peterman has the potential to be a consistent, not overly flashy player while Tyrod can be inconsistent but can also flash with the big plays and has a knack for keeping plays alive.

So the comparison to Trent Edwards is they both looked good in preseason and had similar traits? Problem with Edwards wasn't where he started but where he ended. So that's not a bad comparison.

Trent had bad throwing mechanics that didn't help him either.

The way I see this season is Tyrod starting off 1-5 and the Nate comes in to finish off a 3-13 season. That gives the organization a good chunk to see if Petermen has a chance at being a starter in this league, looks like a decent back-up or just does not have it at all against legit defenses.

I believe that Petermen will start most of next year as the first rounder qb comes into his own.

The way I see this season is Tyrod starting off 1-5 and the Nate comes in to finish off a 3-13 season. That gives the organization a good chunk to see if Petermen has a chance at being a starter in this league, looks like a decent back-up or just does not have it at all against legit defenses.

I believe that Petermen will start most of next year as the first rounder qb comes into his own.

That's quite a bit of "forecasting" all the way into next season. Please provide the Winning PowerBall numbers? Thanks.

That's quite a bit of "forecasting" all the way into next season. Please provide the Winning PowerBall numbers? Thanks.

Just the way I see it for some reason. I can't see Tyrod having a good record after the 1st 6 games and and he may even be pulled (or injured) sooner. Ideally, I want Petermen starting week 1 with Tyrod going to Denver or Jax for a 2nd rounder.