Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

Im not the one that stated i didnt care if another player on my team was open when im not and i want the ball. Sammy was the one that stated that. We arent talking about favorable matchups. Because he wouldnt have stated he wanted the ball regardless of the whether or not another player was open. To insinuate or determine his motive in any other fashion than the words the player stayed would make you a mind reader.

Maybe if you were a mega talent like Sammy you would able to say such things and people would care.

Maybe if you were a mega talent like Sammy you would able to say such things and people would care.

Maybe Mr. Mega talent will be healthy for LA and make a difference in the win loss column for them. He might also be a team player for them. He might also stay away from bball when he isnt even cleared to stretch. He might also not antogonize a whole fan base over a few anecdotal comments from fans. But hey hes Julio right? I mean he single handily won every game for the Bills he played in.

Maybe Mr. Mega talent will be healthy for LA and make a difference in the win loss column for them. He might also be a team player for them. He might also stay away from bball when he isnt even cleared to stretch. He might also not antogonize a whole fan base over a few anecdotal comments from fans. But hey hes Julio right? I mean he single handily won every game for the Bills he played in.

Yup. Not being even a little dramatic in your dislike for the guy

Yup. Not being even a little dramatic in your dislike for the guy

I dont dislike him at all. He needs to mature a ton along with develop some discipline. If the young man does that he might realize his potential and he might see a turn for the better with regard to his health and more targets. If he doesnt he might just flame out with all the other high ceiling guys.

God forbid an athlete says something dumb on Twitter. That's reason enough to ship him out west

God forbid an athlete says something dumb on Twitter. That's reason enough to ship him out west

Nope. He would have to make other comments like give me the ball i dont care if another team mate is open or what read i am. He would have to play basketball when hes not even cleared to stretch. He would have to show that hes had an injury history.

We would also have to get compensation for him.

Nope. He would have to make other comments like give me the ball i dont care if another team mate is open or what read i am. He would have to play basketball when hes not even cleared to stretch. He would have to show that hes had an injury history.

We would also have to get compensation for him.

Ha ha ha ha, the star receiver wants the ball?!? Oh the nerve of that guy!! The other players need to get a turn as well. Why throw it to Sammy when Greg Salas hasn't seen the ball all game? Walt Powell wants needs his chance too. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Posted on the Bills app

In fact, according to Pro Football Focus, Matthews has been the most productive slot receiver in the league over the last three years.

PFF has Matthews with a total of 2,389 receiving yards out of the slot the last three seasons to lead the league. Behind him are names like Randall Cobb, Jarvis Landry, Doug Baldwin and Larry Fitzgerald.

And he was right - and his comments were a natural and foreseeable result of horrid planning by Whaley and Brandon, squandering high draft capital to bring in a puzzle piece that couldn't properly be used because there wasn't a foundation in place, i.e., a competent QB and an offense that would maximize the talents of a WR with his skills.

Whaley was an absolutely horrible GM.

I don't understand how anyone following this team doesn't see eye to eye with the above.

Sammy has a boatload of talent which was of little use to the Bills, and look at what it cost to draft him. I take pride in the fact that I hated this trade from day 1. As a Bills Fan, I learned long ago that the fact that a player is "good," or in this case potentially great doesn't necessarily translate into wins. Whaley wasted out best resources on a consistent basis. He had no idea what he was doing and no self control. Despite this, I think that both trades were idiotic, and the new brass has not shown me that they know how to build a football team, at least not yet.

What a mess.......

So Trumaine Johnson is talked about being traded from the rams and we get ej gaines????

What does that tell you? We covet the draft pick and not the player. It's a rebuild folks, just sit back and let it happen. They could have offered Johnson for Watkins straight up but it wouldn't come with the 2nd rd pick. They want to build their own team and I can't blame them.

So, it's done. I didn't believe my son when he called - it seemed too far fetched with the two trades. People backed up behind me when I couldn't get out of the car to fill up with gas. STUNNED!

Darby I can get over. A productive WR plus a 3rd. OK.

Sammy? He's got HOF potential. Arguably the best talent on the team. But I've cooled with time to ponder. Among the reasons mentioned, the first to come up was signability. Several times. I get we could franchise him, but that's a lot tied up in one player who may not fit what you want to do with your offensive scheme and more importantly your cap dollars. And the Franchise tag is a stop gap. Many have complained about being top heavy, and this would make us more so.

I get all the arguments against this, but i also like a FO that isn't focused on getting as many wins THIS season as possible, while losing track of the long term consequences and possibilities. And I would HATE a FO who did things to appease the fans.

How many fans did they actually lose? Few to none I bet. Regardless, they didn't do this to garner fan support. they have a vision. I'll let them play that out and see how it goes. (There's plenty of time for a lynching down the road! :). )

Good boy.

You'll eat that crap sandwich and like it.

Ha ha ha ha, the star receiver wants the ball?!? Oh the nerve of that guy!! The other players need to get a turn as well. Why throw it to Sammy when Greg Salas hasn't seen the ball all game? Walt Powell wants needs his chance too.

It isn't about Sammy wanting the ball, it's how he went about it. He went rogue to local media and bitched about his targets. I don't care who you are, it's immature. The getting in arguments on Instagram thing was immature too. Couple all of this with nagging injuries and an offense/team that he doesn't fit into. He wasn't coming back. We're better off getting something for him now. Elite receivers with top salaries don't win Super Bowls. Just looking at Super Bowl winners from the past decade it makes no sense to give Sammy a big contract.

I think this trade was awful for the Rams the more I think about it. Doesn't make any sense for them.

It isn't about Sammy wanting the ball, it's how he went about it. He went rogue to local media and bitched about his targets. I don't care who you are, it's immature. The getting in arguments on Instagram thing was immature too. Couple all of this with nagging injuries and an offense/team that he doesn't fit into. He wasn't coming back. We're better off getting something for him now. Elite receivers with top salaries don't win Super Bowls. Just looking at Super Bowl winners from the past decade it makes no sense to give Sammy a big contract.

I think this trade was awful for the Rams the more I think about it. Doesn't make any sense for them.

Way to convince yourself. With an investment in a young QB in Goff, acquiring a #1 WR like Sammy makes perfect sense and Sean McVay will know exactly how to get the most out of him.

He had to with Tyrod failing so hard. When he demanded the ball in 2015, Taylor actually listened and Watkins lit it up.

Way to convince yourself. With an investment in a young QB in Goff, acquiring a #1 WR like Sammy makes perfect sense and Sean McVay will know exactly how to get the most out of him.

He should just wrap it up with one of those Matthews is better drops that are going around

Those are cute.

Elite receivers with top salaries don't win Super Bowls, they just lead them by 25 points in the 2nd half.

What happened after Sammy made those comments? The answer is that he was targeted a rate that's comparable to other top receivers (a shocking concept) and was the best receiver in the league from that point forward. He was right, THROW HIM THE BALL!!

The Rams are about to sign him to a long-term deal. They invested heavily in their QB and now they got him a go-to guy along with a bright young offensive mind. This was a no-brainer for the Rams.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Goff was horrible last year. There's nothing to suggest he will take the next step. This is a lot like Whaley bringing on Sammy to try and make EJ into something he isn't. Obviously the Rams didn't give up nearly as much as Whaley did but it's still a poor trade for them, and they have to pay him like a superstar after his first year with them or else it's an indefensible trade.

FWIW Bill Barnwell says the draft pick value we got in both trades is equivalent to a 16th overall pick in an average draft.

Rams are taking the Whaley approach. We'll see if it works out for them

Goff was horrible last year. There's nothing to suggest he will take the next step. This is a lot like Whaley bringing on Sammy to try and make EJ into something he isn't. Obviously the Rams didn't give up nearly as much as Whaley did but it's still a poor trade for them, and they have to pay him like a superstar after his first year with them or else it's an indefensible trade.

FWIW Bill Barnwell says the draft pick value we got in both trades is equivalent to a 16th overall pick in an average draft.

So the Rams obviously didn't give up two first round picks and Goff is obviously not EJ Manuel. So obviously the situations are nothing alike. Obviously.

It's obvious the Rams went out and got a potential superstar pick for a second round pick and a throw away player. Their coach is offensive minded and he now has a young QB, stud wideout, stud running back. But hey let's pointing fingers at other organizations because obviously OBD knows best.

How's that when they invested a #1 overall pick to acquire Goff? Goff might not work out, but it's not even close to being the same approach.

Didn't they trade a boatload of picks in the last two years to target a few select players?

Kinda Whaley esque. They will be lacking depth in 3 years.

Guys. Goff is disgustingly bad. That has to play into the analysis of the trade for the Rams. Goff was so bad last year he was actually much worse than EJ Manuel was in his rookie year. He had the worst DVOA for a quarterback under pressure AND not under pressure. It isn't just that he was bad, he did nothing well. If he turns it around it will be an all-time shocker. Trading a top 40 pick for a receiver in a contract year is a horrible decision.

Rams are taking the Whaley approach. We'll see if it works out for them

This is exactly right. Whaley was fired because of moves like this.

Guys. Goff is disgustingly bad. That has to play into the analysis of the trade for the Rams. Goff was so bad last year he was actually much worse than EJ Manuel was in his rookie year. He had the worst DVOA for a quarterback under pressure AND not under pressure. It isn't just that he was bad, he did nothing well. If he turns it around it will be an all-time shocker. Trading a top 40 pick for a receiver in a contract year is a horrible decision.

What does that make trading a player taken with a top 50 pick for a mediocre WR in a contract year?

Sammy Watkins was a Communication major at Clemson. To suggest he wasnt or didnt have an opportunity to learn how to use proper English/punctuation and forming basic sentences is a very poor excuse. He chose not too and literally looked as if he hadn't received a day of education; couple that with an immature reaponse, and you have what is a true look at an unfiltered and immature Sammy Watkins.

You must have found a couple of rocks to live under. This is just one statetment that he gave:

"That's what I get mad at," Watkins said, "when I don't get looked at. I can look at film and his eyes go straight that way and I'm not getting looked at, at all. That's when I get frustrated. When I have one-on-one coverage, go to me. I don't care what's going on over there. I don't care if he's open. When I get one on one, just target me."

That shows selfishness, putting yourself before the team, and immaturity for not keeping this stuff in house via the coaching staff.

That is the epitome of a WR...

they were just discussing this on sirius. essentially la is taking watkins to help turn goff into a good qb, but it doesn't necessarily work that way. if goff develops, it was a big win for the rams. for now, they're dancing in that billsy territory.

Elite receivers with top salaries don't win Super Bowls, they just lead them by 25 points in the 2nd half.

What happened after Sammy made those comments? The answer is that he was targeted a rate that's comparable to other top receivers (a shocking concept) and was the best receiver in the league from that point forward. He was right, THROW HIM THE BALL!!

The Rams are about to sign him to a long-term deal. They invested heavily in their QB and now they got him a go-to guy along with a bright young offensive mind. This was a no-brained for the Rams.

Julio was an exception, not the rule. Matt Ryan playing at an elite level was more responsible anyways. In Buffalo of all places, where it snows in playoff season, I am sure that is not our best strategy. Sammy is fun to watch but not worth the money he will end up commanding. Edited by HappyDays

What does that make trading a player taken with a top 50 pick for a mediocre WR in a contract year?

A guy who puts up 900 yards a year is mediocre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julio was an exception, not the rule. Matt Ryan playing at an elite level was more responsible anyways. In Buffalo of all places, where it snows in playoff season, I am sure that is not our best strategy. Sammy is fun to watch but not worth the money he will end up commanding.

The Bills have a history of getting rid of premium talent for not enough return as shown with trading Jason Peters, Marshawn Lynch, and now Sammy. Your point about snow makes no sense with the history of the Bills' K-Gun offense.

One more year of experience...a better offensive coach...more talented players around him....just a few things

The Bills have a history of getting rid of premium talent for not enough return as shown with trading Jason Peters, Marshawn Lynch, and now Sammy. Your point about snow makes no sense with the history of the Bills' K-Gun offense.

So do the Pats*

Julio was an exception, not the rule. Matt Ryan playing at an elite level was more responsible anyways. In Buffalo of all places, where it snows in playoff season, I am sure that is not our best strategy. Sammy is fun to watch but not worth the money he will end up commanding.

When it snowed during the playoffs in the '90s Kelly had some of his best performances...so did Lofton and Reed

I don't understand how anyone following this team doesn't see eye to eye with the above.

Sammy has a boatload of talent which was of little use to the Bills, and look at what it cost to draft him. I take pride in the fact that I hated this trade from day 1. As a Bills Fan, I learned long ago that the fact that a player is "good," or in this case potentially great doesn't necessarily translate into wins. Whaley wasted out best resources on a consistent basis. He had no idea what he was doing and no self control. Despite this, I think that both trades were idiotic, and the new brass has not shown me that they know how to build a football team, at least not yet.

What a mess.......

Bill, I don't understand your logic. On the one hand you rightly criticize Whaley and the organization for not having a coherent plan as to how to build a franchise. This franchise has failed because it took a patchwork approach instead of using its resources to build a foundation for sustainable success. That's what they are now doing! That's the course of action that you for years has strenuously called for. So what is your response when the organization does what you have been calling for? Lambaste them.

The time to take this tough action is at the beginning of the tenure of this new regime. Wasting valuable time and resources to merely get by as a fringe wild-card team makes no sense to me. And it shouldn't to you as one of the most vociferous critics of how this wretched operation has historically been run.

The Bills are accumulating assets (draft picks) to build a deeper roster and put themselves in a better position to acquire a franchise qb. Those ardent advocates who believed that TT was an adequate enough qb to build around have forcefully been responded to by the last regime and this new regime. He's simply not good now or ever will be. Those that believed this team as it was constructed was at the doorstep to being a serious team were out of touch with reality. The process is painful but the smart way to handle this grueling process is to do in quick bursts rather than continuing the incremental approach that has gotten this team nowhere for the past two consecutive generations.

Bill, you have screamed for years that this franchise was riding the wrong bus and taking the wrong route. This new regime has gotten on a different bus and is going in a different but more rational direction. Instead of celebrating you are denigrating! I find that to be perplexing.

A guy who puts up 900 yards a year is mediocre?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mediocre in talent compared to Sammy? Yeah.

I'd say less talented but it's not mediocre. So you'd say Eli is mediocre compared to his bro but they both have the same titles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belichick and Brady say your comparison is :lol:

That is the point. What really matters in this league, and how do you get it? Are you going to argue that the Pats* don't constantly let there "star" athletes go for little compensation to avoid paying them?

The key is having a top organization with a system in place. All on the same page. And having a QB. Not just blindly acquiring talented players and hoping for the best.

Let's put a little trust in our new regime and let the process play out.