Could Ragland be surprise cut of 2017?

Yes, 4 days into training camp is adequate time to evaluate whether or not we'll cut young players.

Especially the 2015 SEC defensive player of the year and first team all American. Maybe cut Sammy and Kyle too. Cut Kim Pegula and the midget trainer guy. Also our punter, lets just go for it on every 4th down.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think MOST GM's want "their" guy, no?

I don't think that was the case here. Rex wanted guys for his scheme. Ragland fit that mold. The Scouting staff might have preferred another guy (they might not have) but they drafted scheme specific.

Well whoever it was should have been fired that night. From all the Rex chatter I can agree that he would have been pushing for Ragland. Instead of adapting to the changes in the game they attempted to reinvent 70's football.

Yep, and the Bills could have been good the last 2 years. I think if they would have had the same personnel with the coaching staff from 2014 the drought would be over.

agreed Kirby.

They fooled me, they avoided drafting Lee, I was psyched then they proceeded to kick me in the nuts.

Here's to hoping Beane and McD have a better working relationship and a grasp on where the NFL is now as far as style of play.

It would be a surprise to say the least. If this regime doesn't value him there is probably one that does, so a trade could be an option (they got something for Cardale) but I would say the possibility of getting cut is somewhere between SLIM and NONE

Yes, 4 days into training camp is adequate time to evaluate whether or not we'll cut young players.

Especially the 2015 SEC defensive player of the year and first team all American. Maybe cut Sammy and Kyle too. Cut Kim Pegula and the midget trainer guy. Also our punter, lets just go for it on every 4th down.

Analytics say going for it on fourth down is the correct call.

Will stick and be a good Situational LBer.

Just not athletic enough to stay on the field all three downs (knee doesn't help), ooo and then you question his desire as well (you question ANYONEs desire that has to have a weight clause put in their contract)

Just not athletic enough to stay on the field all three downs (knee doesn't help), ooo and then you question his desire as well (you question ANYONEs desire that has to have a weight clause put in their contract)

Go back and look at last years TC pictures where he has love handles hanging out of his shorts. A day later or so he blew out his knee. Can we call him Kripsy Kreme?

3 downs? Probably not - and in some games his role will be very limited. However, he can tackle better than probably anyone else on the team and he isn't a terrible zone coverage player. Seeing as we had a ton of missed tackles last year as the year went on, he'll definitely get some snaps.

The Surprise is going to be Preston Brown, you know the LBer that last time in a 4-3 made Kiko Alonso expendable.

Would be nice... Honestly our depth at the position isn't bad. PB, 2 rookies (basically 3 with ragland), hodges/humber, and lorax who might be playing end/edge rusher by the end of the year with the depth we have as it stands.

THIS is the biggest question I have for this team -this season and beyond. It appears we have a LOT of talent at LB, including the 2 rookies. But in this Pass-happy League, even 3 LB's on the field at one time is becoming rare. It isn't unusual anymore to see 6-7 DB's on the field -even on 1st down. I haven't heard anyone say this yet, but a 2-9 scheme is popping up more and more. If not actual DB's, certainly LB/DB 'tweeners are making inroads into the pro game. Much of which is dependent on opponents schemes and tendencies, but it's becoming the norm.

This thread has a few references to 'throwback LB's'. Yeah, as in 2 years ago.. JMO.

I am actually not worried about the Mike at all. SAM does worry me a bit (Can Lorax play that position in the 4-3). WILL scares the **** out of me

THIS is the biggest question I have for this team -this season and beyond. It appears we have a LOT of talent at LB, including the 2 rookies. But in this Pass-happy League, even 3 LB's on the field at one time is becoming rare. It isn't unusual anymore to see 6-7 DB's on the field -even on 1st down. I haven't heard anyone say this yet, but a 2-9 scheme is popping up more and more. If not actual DB's, certainly LB/DB 'tweeners are making inroads into the pro game. Much of which is dependent on opponents schemes and tendencies, but it's becoming the norm.

This thread has a few references to 'throwback LB's'. Yeah, as in 2 years ago.. JMO.

Yep if you look at the two Rookies drafted they are both that Hybrid S/LBer player 228lb and 223lb. Then look at the other Rooks / 1 year player in Camp - 235, and 220

The days of the 250 LB thumper that struggle with athletic ability are gone.

I'm with Maj Bobby on this. I think Preston Brown returns to solid form and Ragland is depth. He may play in short yardage but his future isn't as an every down guy. I hope that I am wrong about Ragland.

I dunno - he's a run stopper. Teams run the ball less, but they do still run it.

I can't say he's... exclusively a short yardage player. He was SEC defensive player of the year... so I do think there's some natural talent and instincts you can take advantage of.

Not to mention PB is a UFA, and we have ragland for 2 more years... so I think beane/SM want him to succeed.

put 9 db's on the field and i will run on you every single play... just saying...

I dunno - he's a run stopper. Teams run the ball less, but they do still run it.

I can't say he's... exclusively a short yardage player. He was SEC defensive player of the year... so I do think there's some natural talent and instincts you can take advantage of.

Not to mention PB is a UFA, and we have ragland for 2 more years... so I think beane/SM want him to succeed.

put 9 db's on the field and i will run on you every single play... just saying...

not likely on 3rd & long.

They likely do want him to succeed however being taken off the Field in the National Championship game when he faces with a team that has NFL speed is very telling to me with his long term viability in the NFL due to lack of athleticism for this level

Edited by MAJBobby

According to reports he has yet to take a rep other than backup MLB. I suspect they would rather have a backup MLB that can play multiple positions like the others have been doing. Just like Cardale Jones, this kid has no ties to this regime and seems at least on paper to not fit the defense.

I never liked the pick, but was hoping he could push P. Brown out of a job. So far the best I can hope for now is P. Brown bounces back to 2015 form.

Thoughts?

I don't know. Maybe, just maybe, we don't make crazy assumptions based on 4 days worth of practice. My gosh. 2nd year player, 2nd round pick, played very well last camp, recovering from significant injury, and no MLB depth. He will be given a fair shot eventually, no doubt in my mind, and he will be better than Preston and take over sooner rather than later.

They likely do want him to succeed however being taken off the Field in the National Championship game when he faces with a team that has NFL speed is very telling to me with his long term viability in the NFL due to lack of athleticism for this level

Very true, can't teach speed - but you also can't teach instincts. He's some intriguing in the middle type of guy.

Considering the injury though, I think it would be very premature to cut him at this juncture. Especially without extending your starting Mike backer.

Edited by dneveu

Where are all those experts on Ragland?!?!?! The ones who said he was great!

Where are the experts that know for a fact he cant play in a 4-3? Keep in mind...Frazier said before camp started that he believes that both Brown AND Ragland could be on the field at the same time. Meaning perhaps that Rags is a top 3 LB'er on this team. Just because he hasn't had first team reps yet, doesn't mean that he won't the more comfortable in the scheme, and on his knee he becomes. It's early. I still say if the best 3 play, its Brown at Will, Rags at MLB and Zo at Sam. Time will tell

The notion of Ragland getting cut is crazy. Why would you cut a guy who has talent and isnt costing much on a rookie contract. He hasnt even played a game yet. Ragland said he has lost weight so he will be fine. Everyone was exciting about the Hodges signing and he is just running with the 2's and 3's.

Where are the experts that know for a fact he cant play in a 4-3? Keep in mind...Frazier said before camp started that he believes that both Brown AND Ragland could be on the field at the same time. Meaning perhaps that Rags is a top 3 LB'er on this team. Just because he hasn't had first team reps yet, doesn't mean that he won't the more comfortable in the scheme, and on his knee he becomes. It's early. I still say if the best 3 play, its Brown at Will, Rags at MLB and Zo at Sam. Time will tell

oh my a top 3 LB on this team! ****,our best LB this team wouldn't start on 16 teams just throwing the number out there.

The OP proves he's not going to be good or something?

just waiting with baited breath

oh my a top 3 LB on this team! ****,our best LB this team wouldn't start on 16 teams just throwing the number out there.

***16 huh? Is that the number? That you're just "throwing" out? Give me the 16 then please? ****

Edited by BuffAlone

According to reports he has yet to take a rep other than backup MLB. I suspect they would rather have a backup MLB that can play multiple positions like the others have been doing. Just like Cardale Jones, this kid has no ties to this regime and seems at least on paper to not fit the defense.

I never liked the pick, but was hoping he could push P. Brown out of a job. So far the best I can hope for now is P. Brown bounces back to 2015 form.

Thoughts?

So, I watched Tropic Thunder last night, and I took one thing away from it that I think would benefit you.

- "Never go full retard!"

***16 huh? Is that the number? That you're just "throwing" out? Give me the 16 then please? ****

new England

Seattle

Miami

Atlanta

Cleveland

Cleveland

Cleveland

Cleveland

Cleveland

Cleveland

Cleveland