ESPN 30 for 30 on Mike and the MadDog

Ted Turner had the idea about a 24 hour news network and was panned viciously in some cases...

In the same ilk, 30 years ago, who thought Sports Talk radio, basically a call in show built around barroom and water cooler talk would take off.....and these two were the pioneers.

What was their beef?

If I had to guess, it's that Mike felt he was "better than that" and wanted a big network gig, while Russo always struck me as a "just happy to be here talking about sports" kind of guy.

Ted Turner had the idea about a 24 hour news network and was panned viciously in some cases...

In the same ilk, 30 years ago, who thought Sports Talk radio, basically a call in show built around barroom and water cooler talk would take off.....and these two were the pioneers.

Ted Turner would die if he saw the dung pile that CNN has turned into today. They're now one small step away from being "mad as hell and not going to take this anymore"!

I watched it. Have a friend who's got the sneak peak and sent it to me a few weeks ago.

Good watch.

Does Francesca fall asleep with his head on the mic then blame the interviewer and throw his sick kid under the bus? Giant POS.

If you think the John Murphy show is bad, then, you'll want to die listening to that.

At least Francesca doesn't get paid by any of the franchises he talks about. He shows an obvious negative bias towards the Mets and Jets, but he will criticize the Yankees and Giants when necessary.

If you think the John Murphy show is bad, then, you'll want to die listening to that.

Francesa's heavy breathing is gross and he sounds like he's 900 pounds. I stream WFAN on occasion and I always avoid that time slot Edited by YoloinOhio

Lol. He's definitely a pompous !@#$. That's what makes his show so great.

His little piece on what a joke Rex Ryan is when he was hired by the Bills was 100% dead on the money as time has proven.

Didn't stop many here from attacking him, at the time, because his comments were effectively anti-Bills.

The jets, yes. The Mets, no. Seeing as I'm a season ticket holder and from Long Island.

:What a horrible existence, Bills AND Mets? Jesus, who's you basketball team, the Washington Generals?

His little piece on what a joke Rex Ryan is when he was hired by the Bills was 100% dead on the money as time has proven.

Didn't stop many here from attacking him, at the time, because his comments were effectively anti-Bills.

True, but Francessa is still a delta bravo, and his callers usually aren't much better.

I've listened to Mike and the Mad Dog and then Mike alone on and off for years.

I can only stand so much talk radio, the discussion gets manufactured when there's not much going on. Anyone remember the "controversy" when Wagner had the audacity to come into games with "Enter Sandman"? They milked that for a few days. Yawn.

Mike usually has pretty informed and considered opinions. But he's so arrogant, treats his opinions as gospel and often berates his callers. As a result he gets called out on every mistake and misstep he makes. It's a shame, after Imus got fired he and Dog filled in on a non-sports capacity and Mike displayed a great sense of humor and was very engaging.

Dog is the crazed/passionate sports fan we all know and love (and hate). Haven't listened to him on Sirius but behind his dementia there was substance as well.

They remind me a lot of posters on this site. Great, well-considered opinions and sports knowledge, some arrogance and humor thrown in...and the occasional off-the-wall crusades that people get sick of. Like the two of them and all of you I try to pick out the pieces that make sense to me, enjoy that they challenge and shape my own opinions and hopefully have a laugh or two along the way.

Looking forward to seeing the 30 for 30.

NEVER liked this duo... so loud and obnoxious. There is attitude and then there is just plain noise that pierces the ears. It's tough to find quality sports talk radio these days to be honest.

:What a horrible existence, Bills AND Mets? Jesus, who's you basketball team, the Washington Generals?

True, but Francessa is still a delta bravo, and his callers usually aren't much better.

I am Bills and Pirates, and my basketball team is the New York Knicks, so yeah...

NEVER liked this duo... so loud and obnoxious. There is attitude and then there is just plain noise that pierces the ears. It's tough to find quality sports talk radio these days to be honest.

Disagree about the quality, but no argument with regard to obnoxious.

I'm a Bills and Mets fan too. It's a tough Professional Sports Exsistance. The good news is we have a express pass to heaven!! So we have that going for us which is nice

I must have the fast pass to the express...Bills, Mets, Islanders.

If I had to guess, it's that Mike felt he was "better than that" and wanted a big network gig, while Russo always struck me as a "just happy to be here talking about sports" kind of guy.

Sounds exactly like what's happening with Mike and Mike.

Who gets in line first Bills , Mets ,Sabers ? Or any other combination?

I'd give Sabres dibs, so you can have my place in line. I can always fall back on 4 straight and losing to the Oilers dynasty in the 5th. But it's been a sh*t show ever since and the Rangers managed to win one with the remains of the Oilers team that stopped the Isles.

I'd give Sabres dibs, so you can have my place in line. I can always fall back on 4 straight and losing to the Oilers dynasty in the 5th. But it's been a sh*t show ever since and the Rangers managed to win one with the remains of the Oilers team that stopped the Isles.

I don't care for basketball, I watch the playoffs just to watch Lebron lose.

Not that horrrible of an existence, the past 2 seasons I couldn't complain about the Mets with their two straight playoff appearances. This season sucks of course, but, Terry collins and the medical staff will be gone at year's end so that will be addition by subtraction.

Also the Yankees have missed the playoffs 4 out of the past 5 seasons ;)

Edited by Captain Murica

Mike was just miserable going to work a lot of the time towards the end of Mike and the Mad Dog and Russo was sick of working with him so requested to take the morning gig solo at WFAN. Mike found out was pissed so they didn't talk for a while and eventually Russo took the Sirius gig.

Yeah, I think Francesca has devolved from opinionated blow hard in earlier years to miserable prick as he's gotten old; and as Russo aged realized he has greener pastures that didn't require putting up with so much crap.

Sidebar: Russo lives in New Canaan, CT, where I lived for the last 10 years before moving west. My wife was going to a gym in town for a while and one day a guy brings in coffee for the staff. It was Russo. Of course she has no idea and says to one of the trainers, "I didn't know the coffee shop delivered!"

Always preferred. WFAN's Steve Somers since 1988 or so for the time I've tuned in by AM radio or the internet.

Totally agree. Steve is my all time favorite. As far as duos go, Mike and Dog. set the standard.

that is sour shoes from Howard Stern, he's awesome

I like when Mike from Mahopac calls in.

it's not at all off topic, DPR4444 brought up Mike from Mahopac earlier in the thread

A little off-topic, but Sour Shoes does the best Mad Dog impersonation I've ever heard.