The NFL Nickname Thread..

I've often wondered how some of the nicknames came to be so I thought I'd start a thread which contains how players/coaches etc got their nicknames...

So put your player nicknames here along with how they got them.

Lets start with The Big Tuna:

Parcells also found time to address the burning question of how he got his nickname: "Big Tuna."

"I think it goes back to my first time with the Patriots," said Parcells, who was New England's linebackers coach in 1980.

"There was an old commercial from Starkist with Charlie the Starkist Tuna, so my players were trying to con me on something one time, and I said, 'You must think I'm Charlie the Tuna,' you know, a sucker, and that's kind of how it started.

"We started with it that year and they used to wear those little tuna helmets, you know, tuna pictures on their helmets. That's where it all started."

Edited by matter2003

Craig "Ironhead" Heyward:

Hayward had a big head(8 3/4 hat size) and was exceptionally strong.

The rumor has it he would lower his helmet into defenders stomachs and one defender said it hurt so much his head had to be made of iron.

One time a youngster hit him over the head with a pool cue and it snapped in half.

Craig "Ironhead" Heyward:

Hayward had a big head(8 3/4 hat size) and was exceptionally strong.

The rumor has it he would lower his helmet into defenders stomachs and one defender said it hurt so much his head had to be made of iron.

One time a youngster hit him over the head with a pool cue and it snapped in half.

RIP

Jonathan "fast freddie" smith.

i have no idea why his nickname was fast freddie and have always wondered.

He was speedy and one of his teammates was a big fan of alliteration.

Wasn't Reed's nickname "horsecock," or something like that? I never understood that one.

Maybe he was a bike rider, according to the Urban Dictionary....

horsecock

A word commonly used in Reno, NV amongst a select group of people to yell at pedestrians and bicyclists while operating a motor vehicle

Passenger (at homeless guy): HORSECOCK!!!!!!!!

Driver: Ha, you horsecocked that guy pretty good

Riverboat Ron:

"After a conservative decision by Rivera contributed to a loss to the Bills in the second game of the 2013 season, he embraced Madden's advice and became "Riverboat Ron." The rest of the season, he went for it on 4th-and-1 nine times in a dozen opportunities. The Panthers converted eight times and won 12 of their last 14 games."

L.T. because his initials stand for Lawrence Taylor

Thunder and Lightning because Ron Dayne was big, so he was thunder and Tiki was quicker so he was lightning.

Thurmanator because it's a play off Terminator

L.T. because his initials stood for LaDainian Tomlinson

Beastmode because Marshawn Lynch goes on beastly type runs and he's hard to stop

The Fridge because someone said William Perry's as big as a fridge

Some good nicknames from the NFL's past:

Broadway Joe

Bambi

Ghost

Night Train

The Hammer

Sweetness

Following up on this...Dick "Night Train" Lane got his nickname because he was scared of flying and took the trains back home after away games...obviously they were at night, so the nickname "Night Train" stuck...I'm sure it didn't hurt that it also rhymed with Lane either... Edited by matter2003

There are rules now?

That's how I took it, too. In this context, I think the the nicknames nedd to be ones used by fans and players alike. Widely-accepted ones.

If players and coaches calles him Trentative also, then so be it. 😆

There are rules now?

The intent of the post was for players/coaches that actually have "real" nicknames that are used by media or well known...like "Prime Time" for Deion Sanders or "Sweetness" for WAlter Perry or "Machine Gun" for Jim Kelly, etc...

Was initially intended as an educational post so people could have a thread where they could find out how their favorite player or players growing up got their nickname, but apparently I should have specified that more clearly since most of the posts either just have made up names that a few fans gave to players or a nickname with no real mention of how it came about.