GM Doug Whaley has been fired

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea Pegs are bad owners. Only thing I'll give them is a willingness to spend money.

They love McD it seems so hopefully his plan can work

Lol, bad owners? Ownership is over a lifetime. It's not like they signed a 5 year contract. The worst thing that happened was the Bills and Sabres won when they arrived. That meant stalling the process of bringing in their people. I also think they had a lot to learn about owning a sports franchise. Still learning.

Time will tell, but McD seems to have a strategy and a plan, more than I can say for our last 18 years...

You don't like the gamble? I think his odds are good for success.

Pegula gives rookie HC all the power, this is the same guy that hired Rex Ryan and has done such a great job with the Sabres. This should work just fine.

McD is going to bring a winner to this town, I am confident!

The same was said with the Rex hire. And the maroon hire before him. albiet different ownership. Brandon's shiny toy this year too market will be.simply hope for the 18th season. A great draft in rounds 1-3 replacing lost assets because of OBD cap hell.

They had to wait until now, teams won't let an executive go and give them their own draft plans and years worth of scouting knowledge to be used against them.

Standard protocol is to fire your GM at the end of the season, hire a new one, and then fire the scouts at the end of the draft. Doing it this way burdens your GM with a coach he didn't hire, and draft picks he didn't make.

there will be a line out the door willing to take Tpegs money....

doesn't matter, that decision has already been made

Brandon Beane from panthers will get the job.

Beane is highly thought of there and is next in line to take over for them. Getting him here would be big.

Would love some inside info on who was responsible for bringing coach McShifty to Buffalo. A couple months back people were saying "Whaley finally has the chance to bring in a coach of his choosing." Did he promote McBeady to the Pegula family? What does that tell you about coach McProcess if the first thing he does to the one responsible for his hiring is undermining and firing?

As you say...what qualified GM is going to want to walk into this mess of an organization? I say just give all of the power to McBaldy and sink/swim based on his abilities.

..and the 2 year countdown clock begins.. Now.

Standard protocol is to fire your GM at the end of the season, hire a new one, and then fire the scouts at the end of the draft. Doing it this way burdens your GM with a coach he didn't hire, and draft picks he didn't make.

so who would they hire to replace him? No team is going to let their executive go before the draft.

I'm not saying McDermott is going to be a good coach. But he must be great at convincing the Pegulas that he knows what he's doing. This guy is taking this over and cleaning out every inch of the leftover mess.

As did Wrecks...

Edited by cd1

The same was said with the Rex hire. And the maroon hire before him. albiet different ownership. Brandon's shiny toy this year too market will be.simply hope for the 18th season. A great draft in rounds 1-3 replacing lost assets because of OBD cap hell.

People were being naive when it came to Rex. McD has a much different vibe to him I think

Lol, bad owners? Ownership is over a lifetime. It's not like they signed a 5 year contract. The worst thing that happened was the Bills and Sabres won when they arrived. That meant stalling the process of bringing in their people. I also think they had a lot to learn about owning a sports franchise. Still learning.

Look at the win-loss record. Look at hiring a coach and then firing a GM. They are not good owners bc they are new to it. Maybe they'll get better but it's not good right now.

People criticizing the Pegula's time as owners are justified. Clearly they made mistakes. They are literally paying for those mistakes now.

However, it's clear they have seen something in McDermott that has set the course for both franchises. I don't see this as a random or floundering. I see an owner who finally has enough experience in owning professional teams finally set a course based on their first hand experiences and what they perceive to be an impressive individual like McDermott.

4 months on the job and has total control. EH!

What happens when McDermott doesn't win more than 8 games per year? Clean house again?

I liked the idea of the new owners at first, starting to have second thoughts though.

Thing that pisses me off the most is Whaley lost his job because if the Rex shenanigans. RussBrandon is the one who wanted to hire Rex and Whaley is getting screwed because Rex can't coach up a team.

I thought Whaley was a good GM and I've mostly liked his moves. But his ultimate downfall was not getting a QB in the draft (which I don't blame on him...we never had a good opportunity to grab one). There is so much more you need to draft a QB than just a need for one (coaching, good supporting/ complimenting teammates). I think Doug knew this and he also knew by forcing a QB could hurt the team longer down the line.

I think Doug was one of the best evaluators in the NFL at finding other NFL talent to sign for one or two year deals.

I hope we get a better GM than him. It would really suck if we hire some bum and we regress back to 4-12/ 5-11 seasons

Some might not like this, but I'm a firm believer in wiping the slate completely clean when you are starting over and doing things the right way at the start or it's going to come back and bite you. Hopefully Whaley finds himself another spot. This had to be done.