RD 2, Pick 37: Zay Jones (WR) - ECU

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love this move! He was my top target in round 2 and we still have another 3rd left and got back a 5th. Hoping we package some of those 5ths to move back into 3 or 4th.

Alpha, I think I am going to take you at your word for that, because I know a couple of you were all over this guy for second round.

Great pick.

For what it's worth, ESPN's coverage just listed him as one of the top fantasy rookies for the upcoming season. They premised this on his dependability and opportunity (especially if Watkins can't stay on field). PPR leagues > standard.

Again, not sure how much of that you want to take to the bank, but worth mentioning.

Saw Jones play several times (twice in person) and he catches everything near him. 22 catches against South Carolina last year (on the road). A few years ago when ECU beat Virginia Tech, the ECU QB was basically just throwing 50/50 balls up deep and Jones time-and-again kept coming down with it. As a Virginia Tech fan it was infuriating... but now that Zay is a Bill it makes me happy!

Think this is the best draft in a long time.

I feel you !

I don't remember being this excited/optimistic in our picks in quite a while. Although I did love our first 3 picks last year.

As for Zay, he is a really good WR that I feel will be another instant starter. When you watch his tape, he is a beast over the middle, no fear in making the catch and getting popped.

Hes Not super fast but he is super dependable, hands are great and he has a knack for getting a few extra yards.

I see him as a chain mover and he brings a different type of WR to that group. A tall , dependable, possession type WR that is willing and able to exploit the middle of the field.

And he's another McDermott type. Leader, competitor, got his head on straight.

Great first 2 picks and we have that 2018 1st Rd pick in the stash!

It's fun watching his highlights. He really has skills.

Definitely has great hands - reminds me of Larry Fitz that way.

Interesting comparison. I can totally see some Fitz in him as he gets coached up. The dude catches EVERYTHING, even in crowded areas, Zay is going to go all out to make that play, his dependability is really pretty amazing.

I can see him as a real chain mover. I hope # 14 can stay on the field because both these guys can consistently win in single coverage

The more I watch and read about him. Two words come to mind - Chain Mover

One of the offenses biggest issues was staying on the field and this kid can come in day 1 and improve our first down percentage

6 drops out of 164 targets. Has great instincts and will gladly work the middle of the field. At 6'2 he can use some more meat on them bones but he should be an immediate contributor..

None of these clown analysts are putting their name to this but I'm telling you, we might just have gotten the best WR in this entire draft. This guy reminds me so much of AJ Green when he came out of college.

Tim-

Can't lie, I was thinking AJ while watching his highlights. Amari Cooper also came to mind. I keep reading he lacks speed but I keep seeing him get behind defenses.

Either way, liking the pick.

We got the best hands receiver in the draft, no two ways about it!

Tim-

That's a Fact.

Can't lie, I was thinking AJ while watching his highlights. Amari Cooper also came to mind. I keep reading he lacks speed but I keep seeing him get behind defenses.

Either way, liking the pick.

40 speed is very deceiving a lot of the time. It really makes no sense they even let these guys run on tracks without pads on. I can never really remember Andre Reed getting caught from behind. Acceleration is not pure speed but it's often the difference in a game. Zay is plenty fast.

40 speed is very deceiving a lot of the time. It really makes no sense they even let these guys run on tracks without pads on. I can never really remember Andre Reed getting caught from behind. Acceleration is not pure speed but it's often the difference in a game. Zay is plenty fast.

They may be right about the speed but I think the better term would be quick.

He just looks like he has quicker hands and feet then the dbs covering him. I'll say it again - he's going to be a 1st down machine

They may be right about the speed but I think the better term would be quick.

He just looks like he has quicker hands and feet then the dbs covering him. I'll say it again - he's going to be a 1st down machine

The problem that you don't seem to be paying attention to is we have Tyrod at QB.

Tyrod is scared to throw to receivers that aren't wide open and he doesn't throw his receivers open or throw before they make their cut like good QB's are supposed to.

Now we have a WR with great hands but by all evaluations struggles to get any separation in college and in the pros it will be even harder. Now add the fact we have a QB who refuses to throw to someone like that and we will likely see or get very little out of him at least while Tyrod is QB.

The problem that you don't seem to be paying attention to is we have Tyrod at QB.

Tyrod is scared to throw to receivers that aren't wide open and he doesn't throw his receivers open or throw before they make their cut like good QB's are supposed to.

Now we have a WR with great hands but by all evaluations struggles to get any separation in college and in the pros it will be even harder. Now add the fact we have a QB who refuses to throw to someone like that and we will likely see or get very little out of him at least while Tyrod is QB.

I've seen plenty video of him finding the soft spot in the zone, and consistently making catches even with defenders closing in.

I agree Taylor lacks anticipation while throwing but I think Jones actually game helps Taylor. You can throw to him in traffic, underneath, over the middle and he makes plays even if he's not wide open, beating out defenders with better instincts and quick, reliable hands.

I see him being a 1st down machine

So your arguement is that Tyrod does not play better when he is targets are not better?

The numbers do not support your arguement

Me too. I live right up the road from St.John Fisher and I can't wait for camp!

Should be fun watching the young QBs fight for 1-2 spots.

Probably more like 3rd guy on the roster spot? Practice squad? Yes, it will be interesting!

Me too. I live right up the road from St.John Fisher and I can't wait for camp!

Should be fun watching the young QBs fight for 1-2 spots.

Ultimately, I think Taylor is going to be the starter. I don't think McDermott pulled to keep him if he wasn't going to be their starter, baring some sort of weird circumstance.

I do think that the backup position is more up for grabs than most people think.

If everyone stays healthy, no reason to believe there aren't enough pass catchers for these guys to succeed.