Pegula press conference today

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who just asked the Whaley question? They specifically said to keep questions to Sabres only

Adam Benigni....Just a stupid question, followed by several other stupid question. I though Terry handled himself very well, I would have been dropping F-bombs on these idiots...

Edited by ricojes

I love Terry, but he has a tough time articulating his thoughts, and as usual the media members are pushing his buttons and being negative.

Their framing of questions and derogatory tone are ever present these days. Terry did have a good point, too. "Cleveland can rebuild but the Sabres tanked?"

Athletes have canned cliches to help them through interviews. I'm thinking Terry needs a bus ride with Crash Davis. Terry, repeat after me, " We have high expectations. We give our coaches and executives the authority to make decisions and we back them up with significant resources to the best of our ability. We expect results. We will hold those decision makers responsible for the results of their decisions and we don't need to apologize for it."

Athletes have canned cliches to help them through interviews. I'm thinking Terry needs a bus ride with Crash Davis. Terry, repeat after me, " We have high expectations. We give our coaches and executives the authority to make decisions and we back them up with significant resources to the best of our ability. We expect results. We will hold those decision makers responsible for the results of their decisions and we don't need to apologize for it."

Could throw in "We'll give 'em the tools to finish the job" for good measure...

I love Terry, but he has a tough time articulating his thoughts, and as usual the media members are pushing his buttons and being negative.

Their framing of questions and derogatory tone are ever present these days. Terry did have a good point, too. "Cleveland can rebuild but the Sabres tanked?"

No one can speak publically in either organization.

And the only person who probably can ( Kim) they do not let her.

It's been like this with Pegula since he bought the Sabres. Just a total disaster in front of cameras. Whaley was too but at least they got wise to silence him.

It's been like this with Pegula since he bought the Sabres. Just a total disaster in front of cameras. Whaley was too but at least they got wise to silence him.

McD is pretty good imo

I actually wonder why they don't put Russ out there. Seems like it would be in his wheelhouse.

You must have forgotten our star speaker, Rexy

McD is pretty good imo

I actually wonder why they don't put Russ out there. Seems like it would be in his wheelhouse.

Russ is good in front of a camera, but Terry catches so much **** from fans and media about his role, I doubt he wants to feed that fire.

Russ is good in front of a camera, but Terry catches so much **** from fans and media about his role, I doubt he wants to feed that fire.

i would just put them both out there, based on Russ's role with the organizations. They can both talk and Pegs can only answer the questions he wants to answer, Russ can BS the rest.

Absolutely agree. They drool all over Cleveland's "rebuild", but Buffalo tanked... Can't have it both ways, like Pegula said.

If Buffalo tanked, Cleveland absolutely tanked. They released a ton of good players last year.

Funny thing is there were some Buffalo News writer(s) calling for the Sabres to rebuild/tank before it happened, and then when it does happen they change their tune and criticize it.

You know, I still blame the Buffalo News to this day about a lot of the terrible, negative publicity the Sabres rebuild/tank got. So many things became a national headline/punchline because of stories written by TBN that would get picked up by the national media.

IMO that was one of the main differences between the Sabres "tank" and Toronto's "rebuild". Both teams tanked, but Toronto's media was on board and did nothing but praise it and Buffalo's media did nothing but slam it. I think the Buffalo News was definitely a factor in turning the Sabres rebuild into such a big story at times.

I think we can also put to bed the rumors of Pegula hiring Dan Bylsma. He specifically said that he didn't have much involvement in hiring the GM or the coach and he really regrets that.

So I think it's safe to say that Bylsma was indeed a Tim Murray hire. (and we all know Murray was a LaFontaine hire, obviously).

i would just put them both out there, based on Russ's role with the organizations. They can both talk and Pegs can only answer the questions he wants to answer, Russ can BS the rest.

I would not mind this. I think some of the pressers with Terry, Russ, and even Whaley have been successful. Also I like hearing from Kim, she is honest but diplomatic, and her presence is more disarming than anyone else inside the organization.

I think we can also put to bed the rumors of Pegula hiring Dan Bylsma. He specifically said that he didn't have much involvement in hiring the GM or the coach and he really regrets that.

So I think it's safe to say that Bylsma was indeed a Tim Murray hire. (and we all know Murray was a LaFontaine hire, obviously).

Yeah as surprised as I was by TM being fired, I will not argue with getting your own people. They tried trusting someone else and clearly Terry wants his stamp on the next hire.

I agree with Harrington that Pegs did well. Kept his balance the whole way.

He certainly didn't Whaley the press conference. Kept his composure for the most part. I didn't expect much in terms of new information from Terry today.

Absolutely agree. They drool all over Cleveland's "rebuild", but Buffalo tanked... Can't have it both ways, like Pegula said.

If Buffalo tanked, Cleveland absolutely tanked. They released a ton of good players last year.

Funny thing is there were some Buffalo News writer(s) calling for the Sabres to rebuild/tank before it happened, and then when it does happen they change their tune and criticize it.

You know, I still blame the Buffalo News to this day about a lot of the terrible, negative publicity the Sabres rebuild/tank got. So many things became a national headline/punchline because of stories written by TBN that would get picked up by the national media.

IMO that was one of the main differences between the Sabres "tank" and Toronto's "rebuild". Both teams tanked, but Toronto's media was on board and did nothing but praise it and Buffalo's media did nothing but slam it. I think the Buffalo News was definitely a factor in turning the Sabres rebuild into such a big story at times.

Some excellent points here about TBN's role in creating the negativity surrounding our rebuild/tank. Buffalo is not a nationally popular market, so national writer just look at what the local hacks are churning out for direction. If this was a larger, more popular market, the natiinal guys would actually know about the team and have their own opinions (such as with toronto, as you mentioned, or with the Pens when they did it)

It's called the reporter circle jerk. National guys will report stories that say "a source close to the team", but national guys tend not to have a lot of local sources. They'll have a few for some teams, but not every team. So what they do is they call up local schmoe reporter and ask him..that reporter may or may not have any actual sources, but it then goes on to a national story as "a source close to the team".

Edited by jeremy2020

He certainly didn't Whaley the press conference. Kept his composure for the most part. I didn't expect much in terms of new information from Terry today.

The biggest tidbit was that he was not involved in hiring Murray or Bylsma.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

McD is pretty good imo

Russ doesn't handle criticism well. He'd be a disaster.

The biggest tidbit was that he was not involved in hiring Murray or Bylsma.

Because everyone said - you want a hockey guy to do all this yadda yadda. His gut says, i should meet and hire the people who are replacing the GM/Coach of the last 15 years. He didn't follow his gut and now looking back regrets it. Whether thats right? Not sure.

Edited by dneveu