Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

Bill Belichik spoke at the Ohio State coach's clinic last week and said something I found kind of interesting, since we have seen kind of different approach from them this offseason. He said that at this point in his career, he wants to coach players he likes. Insinuating that he really has nothing left to prove, but he still wants to coach, and he doesn't feel the need to deal with any players he "doesn't like" just because they are talented, something he did in the past when he felt pressure to win. He also said he trusts certain programs and college coaches and prefers to draft from them over others which narrows down his prospects but he likes it that way.

really interesting. thanks.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills are nothing more than a minor league farm team to the Patriots. How many wasted years, 17 years, can one person take.

To me their best chance to eventually catch the Pats is to build their own strong identity and stand up to them. The constant re-shuffling when they inevitably realize that they can't beat the Pats at their own game is getting them nowhere.

Gillisiee is part of that identity as a team that will run at will on you. A team like the Seahawks has given the Patriots trouble simply by pounding the rock and playing D whenever they meet.........it would be nice to be able to out-pass the Pats but it's unrealistic for the near future.

They should just keep their strength intact and try to build on it.

Are we 100% positive that Taylor was Whaleys call? Or is it possible that Taylor was part of the Rex effect? We might have rolled with EJ if it had been Whaleys call.

No I think he was Rex's call.

But praying to the god of scrap heap QB successes when you already have lucked out big time with the one on your roster is just a lack of awareness IMO by Real McCoy. :lol:

on buffalobills.com:

Corry weighs in on Gillislee offer sheet

On Tuesday afternoon the New England Patriots signed Bills RB Mike Gillislee to a two-year offer sheet worth a reported $6.4M with a $4M figure in the first year of the deal. It’s a deal former NFL agent and CBSSports.com NFL analyst Joel Corry doesn’t see Buffalo matching.

Corry, in an appearance on the John Murphy Show, said that the Patriots, like any other team, tried to make the deal cost prohibitive to match.

“You always do that,” said Corry. “That’s what the Bills did to get Charles Clay from Miami as a transition player. The Bills had a balloon payment in the second year so Miami couldn’t match. You do it by design where you front load them or put a lot of guaranteed money in there to discourage the team from matching the offer.”

When asked if he thought it would be wise for the Bills to match the Gillislee offer sheet, Corry doesn’t believe it makes sense.

“No, I think that ship has sailed,” said Corry.

The Bills would add a fifth-round pick to their current lot of six draft choices in the 2017 draft if they ultimately choose not to match. In a draft that is uncommonly deep, including the running back position, perhaps it was Buffalo’s intent to have another team try to sign Gillislee in the hopes of adding another draft choice.

It would give Buffalo three fifth-round picks next week.

I am so happy Pats admire the talents we have! Can you imagine what they can do if their coaches take over our team? OMG!

And what does that tell us about our team? What we need is BETTER COACHING! Hopefully McD is the answer.

The fact that you imply that Taylor wasn't a ridiculously good find....or a "gem in a trash heap"........tells me how unrealistic your expectations are.

Franchise he's not but realistically you might have to go back to Kurt Warner nearly two decades ago to find a better such out of nowhere second-hand QB find.

If you call a stop gap QB a good find that assessment is problem #1 between us and we disagree 100% on it.

Where did Gilly come from and where is Los now?

The O-line and McCoy make this run game go, not LoS or Gilly. Some fans on this forum are funny and way over reach on every single topic. J Williams and another late Rd pick this year will do just fine.

We lost our back-up running back so "lets trade one of our better Defensive players for a 1st rd pick and draft RB in Round1"

Edited by Real McCoy

If you call a stop gap QB a good find that assessment is problem #1 between us and we disagree 100% on it.

The O-line and McCoy make this run game go, not LoS or Gilly. Some fans on this forum are funny and way over reach on every single topic. J Williams and another late Rd pick this year will do just fine.

We lost our back-up running back so "lets trade one of our better Defensive players for a 1st rd pick and draft RB in Round1"

A stop gap QB for peanuts? Yeah, that's a good find. TT may have been the second best FA QB this decade.

Is it raining here in Buffalo today or is it just tears from Bills fans crying over a back up running back.

It's raining. Also there are a bunch of frustrated Bills fans. It would've cost an extra $900k this season to have given Gillislee a second round tender instead of original round (5th). Now the Bills have to decide between paying him even more or losing him and gaining a 5th round pick. It's not the end of the world, but it was a mistake (which I pointed out at the time of tender) and I'm frustrated with watching Whaley repeatedly make such mistakes.

Run game importance of units to Bills:

1. Taylor......keeps defenses out of the backfield with fear of gashing them with big runs or big passes in broken field if he breaks contain......allowing Bills relatively slow developing blocking game to get into blocks and open huge holes.....Bills backs lead NFL in yards before contact.

2. The Runnin' Bax.......McCoy and MG are both good.......MG hasn't proven he can carry a huge load, but hasn't proven he can't either.......and he is the better fit in new scheme and the more versatile player.

3. The OL......these guys are not much above average as a collection of parts but are propped up big time by a running QB that can stretch the field with deep vertical throws and two backs that can take the ball to the house. Without Taylor they struggle getting into blocks prior to penetration.

It's incredible.

How do you make the same mistake two years in a row?

How does Pegula not see this guy as incompetent as a GM?

Buffalo sports is a sad state of affairs.

I don't understand the 'same mistake' thing.

Do you watch what other teams do? Good players leave good teams for other teams EVERY YEAR.

He didn't leave. He got stolen.

Stealing would imply a one sided transaction. We get a 5th and cap relief.

As others have said, it's the kind of thing.the pats do all the time. They already lost 3 players this year who are arguably better at their position than MG.

Stealing would imply a one sided transaction. We get a 5th and cap relief.

As others have said, it's the kind of thing.the pats do all the time. They already lost 3 players this year who are arguably better at their position than MG.

"cap relief"

Holy smokes.

"cap relief"

Holy smokes.

I didn't say it was much. But with a draft pick, it's part of what they get.

The pats didn't steal anything. We did what they do, a lot. But some here complain about everything.

If this situation was reversed, we'd be idiots for overpaying a 6 carry back.

He didn't leave. He got stolen.

So if we had let him leave for nothing you would have been okay with it? I'll take the free 5th rounder from a division rival in exchange for a backup RB. It's insane to me that everyone else wouldn't take the same thing.

I didn't say it was much. But with a draft pick, it's part of what they get.

The pats didn't steal anything. We did what they do, a lot. But some here complain about everything.

If this situation was reversed, we'd be idiots for overpaying a 6 carry back.

No.

That signing is still totally baffling to me.

Did you think Whales cared about a third round pick? I'm afraid he lost his will to GM this team after Pegula vetoed re-signing EJ.

I'd rather MG then Vlad Ducasse.

The guy blows and we gave him a pretty wealthy contract.

Line is a much bigger need, and the pickins at guard are much more slim.

Love MG, but we overrate him a bit. He can be replaced with a late rounder, and likely without much drop off.

So if we had let him leave for nothing you would have been okay with it? I'll take the free 5th rounder from a division rival in exchange for a backup RB. It's insane to me that everyone else wouldn't take the same thing.

No. I wanted him tendered at second. That's staying not leaving.

No. I wanted him tendered at second. That's staying not leaving.

I will never agree that a backup RB with one year of good production is worth more than an additional draft pick. I'm not a huge Whaley fan but this was played exactly right. We are getting a free 5th round pick. I'll be pissed if we end up matching the offer but I don't expect we will.

I will never agree that a backup RB with one year of good production is worth more than an additional draft pick. I'm not a huge Whaley fan but this was played exactly right. We are getting a free 5th round pick. I'll be pissed if we end up matching the offer but I don't expect we will.

It's costing us a player, so it's not free. And he had two years of good production.

Hopefully our 5th round pick is more Kyle Williams and less Cyril Richardson, Jonathan Meeks, Jonathan Williams, Tank Carder, Johnny White, Ed Wang, Nic Harris, Alvin Bowen.

No.

Did you think Whales cared about a third round pick? I'm afraid he lost his will to GM this team after Pegula vetoed re-signing EJ.

I think many facets of the personnel approach they've taken this offseason have been ill-advised.

- I would never have been in the Ricky Wagner running for $9M/year.

- I'd have taken a different course with Gillislee

- I never would've gone near Ducasse

- I would've tried to focus on cap casualties like Bethea etc to take advantage of the comp pick formula

Not saying I'm right and Whaley's wrong, but I haven't really liked the general path this offseason...that's not to say that some of the signings haven't been good ones.

on buffalobills.com:

Corry weighs in on Gillislee offer sheet

On Tuesday afternoon the New England Patriots signed Bills RB Mike Gillislee to a two-year offer sheet worth a reported $6.4M with a $4M figure in the first year of the deal. Its a deal former NFL agent and CBSSports.com NFL analyst Joel Corry doesnt see Buffalo matching.

Corry, in an appearance on the John Murphy Show, said that the Patriots, like any other team, tried to make the deal cost prohibitive to match.

You always do that, said Corry. Thats what the Bills did to get Charles Clay from Miami as a transition player. The Bills had a balloon payment in the second year so Miami couldnt match. You do it by design where you front load them or put a lot of guaranteed money in there to discourage the team from matching the offer.

When asked if he thought it would be wise for the Bills to match the Gillislee offer sheet, Corry doesnt believe it makes sense.

No, I think that ship has sailed, said Corry.

The Bills would add a fifth-round pick to their current lot of six draft choices in the 2017 draft if they ultimately choose not to match. In a draft that is uncommonly deep, including the running back position, perhaps it was Buffalos intent to have another team try to sign Gillislee in the hopes of adding another draft choice.

It would give Buffalo three fifth-round picks next week.

Great point Except the deal is not even close to being cost prohibitive. If the Bills don't match it, it's because they don't want to keep him.

It's costing us a player, so it's not free. And he had two years of good production.

Hopefully our 5th round pick is more Kyle Williams and less Cyril Richardson, Jonathan Meeks, Jonathan Williams, Tank Carder, Johnny White, Ed Wang, Nic Harris, Alvin Bowen.

We would have had to lose the player anyways. I don't think we ever planned on paying Gillislee $3 million a year or whatever to be our backup. By placing the tender we got something out of it, and it just so happens we took it away from our division rival. Seriously I couldn't care less about Gillislee on the Pats, that doesn't scare me at all. I'll take their 5th rounder. It is a good deal for us.

jwilliams is already a bust? Damn that sucks, so now we need a 2nd and 3rd string rb

A stop gap QB for peanuts? Yeah, that's a good find. TT may have been the second best FA QB this decade.

This is about our former backup RB.

If you think TT is the best FA the Bills have signed in 10 years please show me why in another thread.

Run game importance of units to Bills:

1. Taylor......keeps defenses out of the backfield with fear of gashing them with big runs or big passes in broken field if he breaks contain......allowing Bills relatively slow developing blocking game to get into blocks and open huge holes.....Bills backs lead NFL in yards before contact.

2. The Runnin' Bax.......McCoy and MG are both good.......MG hasn't proven he can carry a huge load, but hasn't proven he can't either.......and he is the better fit in new scheme and the more versatile player.

3. The OL......these guys are not much above average as a collection of parts but are propped up big time by a running QB that can stretch the field with deep vertical throws and two backs that can take the ball to the house. Without Taylor they struggle getting into blocks prior to penetration.

1. This is simply a false Bills fan myth. It takes what 1 second to hand the ball off and another second for the RB to hit the LOS correct? if you call 2 seconds slowly developing a hole your very mistaken.

2. MG can't hold McCoy's jock strap. MG is a completely different change of pace back to McCoy. One that throws the opposing D off after taking numerous snaps against one of the premiere running backs in the league.

3. See #1. the OL is average at pass protection but top 5 hands down in the league at run blocking. Selling the line short whom dominate at run blocking is sad man.

Edited by Real McCoy

If you think our free agent scrap heap signing backup RB is worth $4m and a 5th round pick, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Totally agree. I like MG but between McCoy, Tolbert and J Williams -- I don't worry about the backup running back spot. Even if they don't draft a RB replacement in a deep draft - I would rather take the pick and let McDermott find players that fit his style. As for the comments critical of Whaley -- I think he was right in assigning an original round tender-- NOONE was giving up a second round pick for MG.