Marrone: "We have to rebuild Bortles' Foundation"

TPS

yep going to ruin the poor guy

:lol::lol:

Maybe that Coughlin and Marrone are birds in a feather.

but i do not expect any miracles with them the first year together. Both hard headed old school boys. and Marrone being the punk Kid to Tommy

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone said THAT??? LOL! -He would Know.... After destroying EJ Manuel, him and Hackett have a good bead on QB rebuilds. -If there is such a thing, which I doubt.

I have a theory too... -Blake Bortles might not be that good... All will be revealed by this time next year.

Edited by #34fan

You know I actually think Marrone is a decent HC but he has to let go of the offensive reins, cut Hackett lose and bring in a real OC. If he just focuses on the overall operation I think he can be effective.

Agreed. His loyalty to Hackett will be his downfall.

Since Marrone/Hackett arrived Bortles can't even throw a spiral. I'm assuming that's what Marrone is referring to when he talks foundation.

Agreed. His loyalty to Hackett will be his downfall.

Marrone only has loyalty to himself. If he could convince someone better to be his OC he would. Hackett is the only one willing/desperate enough to put up with his crap.

Deshone Kizer. Big, looks the part.

From your post at the beginning of the thread, I was reading through waiting to post "Sounds like Trubisky". But dang, I didnt realize Bortles is 6'5"...

I dunno, I think I still compare him to Trubisky, just for being the "rising star" who will likely disappoint if/when he goes to a perennial loser.

Since Marrone/Hackett arrived Bortles can't even throw a spiral. I'm assuming that's what Marrone is referring to when he talks foundation.

Marrone only has loyalty to himself. If he could convince someone better to be his OC he would. Hackett is the only one willing/desperate enough to put up with his crap.

Except Bortles had his best year of his career when Marrone and Hackett arrived. But don't worry, the rest of the posters in this topic also look equally as foolish.

So the first two years he was there with him didn't count?

Except Bortles had his best year of his career when Marrone and Hackett arrived. But don't worry, the rest of the posters in this topic also look equally as foolish.

i think maybe youvare confusing fantasy football and real football. He was a fantasy darling because he threw a lot of garbage time tds and threw for a lot of yards. It didn't result in many wins though.

Who knows, but he certainly didn't get the chance to develop. I suppose it was klutzy Kolb's fault...

No developing that...he just didn't have the skill set...it would be like taking you and trying to turn you into a pro tennis player. After a year and a half of you playing and sucking, people could argue that you "didn't have time to develop". Except that is just ignoring the fact that you simply sucked and didn't have the necessary skills to succeed at being a pro tennis player.

UCF's Blake Bortles is the best quarterback prospect in this year's draft class, according to NFL Films producer Greg Cosell.

"I would say he's more of finesse thrower than a true power thrower at this point, but I think there's a lot to work with, with Bortles," Cosell said on the Ross Tucker Football Podcast. "I think ultimately he's a pocket passer who can execute boot action. He can extend plays and he can run effectively if that's what you want to do. So, I think that he's someone I would look to as, given time, he could be a quality NFL starter."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330178/article/cosell-blake-bortles-is-best-qb-in-2014-nfl-draft

Yeah, nobody else thought Bortles was the best in that class either, did they? Except, you know, pretty much everyone.

No developing that...he just didn't have the skill set...it would be like taking you and trying to turn you into a pro tennis player. After a year and a half of you playing and sucking, people could argue that you "didn't have time to develop". Except that is just ignoring the fact that you simply sucked and didn't have the necessary skills to succeed at being a pro tennis player.

Skill set had nothing to do with it. He can make all the throws, moves well ... his skill set is fine.

He had mechanics problems that never got cleared up, probably because he never had the time to develop. And he has never developed the decision-making speed and precision, which could have been a result of not having the time to ingrain better habits or maybe just not ever having had the pure processing speed.

We'll never know.

What we know is that we had a plan to maximize his chances, and we were never allowed to put that plan into action. And minimizing a guy's chances, well for obvious reasons it's never a good idea.

Wayne, that doesn't even begin to make sense.

You know how everyone says, "That's a bad opening with that bad team but there are only 32 openings for NFL head coaches and they'll find someone," and they always do?

Same with OCs. Thirty-two jobs only. If he wanted to find someone else, he could. It would not be particularly difficult. There might be four or five top guys who might turn down that promotion, but probably not.

Edited by Thurman#1

pretty sure i'm in the minority here, but i expect Marrone will turn the Jags around.

I believe he will as well - but like others have said I think he has to learn from his experience here and not micro manage the offense. I think if he sticks to just being Head Coach he could do well there.

pretty sure i'm in the minority here, but i expect Marrone will turn the Jags around.

Any specific reasons why? I think Saint Doug, like most coaches, has some good qualities, but unless he has toned down the "obvious" arrogance I don't believe long-term success will follow him.

The Jags have been so bad for so long that they have a lot of 1st/2nd round talent on the roster -- they should be better -- but I'll be curious to look for signs of the same poor gameday decisions we saw in Buffalo.