why draft a raw QB when we've got Cardale on the roster

Commish

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The knock I've read about him in addition to his accuracy is that he doesn't read defenses very well, makes bad decisions and isn't the hardest worker. I hope the Bills continue to draft QB's until they get it right. Let Jones earn the back-up role.

Coming in far behind the curve and then rumblings about not being at the facility enough make it easy for me to chalk him up as not going to work out.

There's a chance he succeeds but guys with all the tools, more experience and top notch work ethic are still long shots.... even if he does everything right he's an even longer shot because of his raw he is...

No he won't. He looked bad his last year in college against MAC teams. Qbs can come play well for a few games but the true test is when teams get tape on them and they have to adjust.

I still don't mind the pick because he has a lot of tools. But the odds of him developing into a NFL starter seems really small.

^^^ This 100%.

I laughed at the thread title referring to him as a "top prospect".

Jones has great size, intelligence, athleticism, good mechanics, and a rocket arm. Is there some kind of huge flaw I'm not seeing? If not, then why is anyone talking about the Bills taking a QB high in the draft? Please someone explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybKuO8fqaOU

In hindsight Jones should have transferred to another pgoram either after the National Championship or to an FCS program like Eastern Illinois or North Dakota State for his final year of eligibility. Having such a small playing career has killed him.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

If you honestly think that Cardale Jones is equal to a Patrick Mahomes or Mitchell Trubisky as a prospect then you are welcome to continue with that opinion.

That would be like saying don't draft OJ Howard because we have Logan Thomas on the practice squad.

It's not even close, cardale IMO is as good or better then what is coming out this yr. big body and can move, his arm is better then all coming out this yr. dam let him learn the play book. No one wants these qb's unless you don't have nothing in that position now.

There are a few ways to look at an NFL prospect (at any position).

The first is physical ability. Size, speed, strength, agility, etc. Basically the things you get from the Combine.

This is by far the easiest way to measure and compare players, which is why this area is always overrated by scouts and analysts.

Cardale Jones is overflowing with physical ability. So did EJ Manuel. But physical potential doesn't always translate into success.

The second way to judge a prospect is on-field production. Basically game-film and tape.

This gives you a better idea of how physical ability can translate onto the football field. You can see how a defensive lineman's strength allows him to beat his blocker. You can see how a receiver's speed allows him to get open. With film, you can also get a sense of how polished a player is in the technical aspects, like accuracy, throwing mechanics, etc.

In this area, Cardale Jones has much to be desired. His accuracy was all over the place in college. As was his footwork and mechanics. His decision making was often poor. His throws often lacked anticipation and timing.

Edited by mjt328

It's not even close, cardale IMO is as good or better then what is coming out this yr. big body and can move, his arm is better then all coming out this yr. dam let him learn the play book. No one wants these qb's unless you don't have nothing in that position now.

Well, then you believe Cardale Jones would fetch a 1st round pick this year.

Think again.

Cardale's maturity is an issue the prior staff implied. Not yet mature enough to be a true pro. Let the new staff decide.....I have had it with projects.......give him another look, and , if McD doesn't like what he sees, lets move on. Although he had t hat famous run at Ohio state when they won the national championship...it was three games....and he didn't have the starting job the next year....beat out by a guy who will never play an NFL down. Urban Myers saw something lacking.....so did Ryan''s staff. Kid is on his third strike imho.

Aside from perhaps Trubisky [and he's no sure thing] these are all project QB's in the draft.

We've already got one on the roster, Cardale Jones, who people say has a huge ceiling, and who looked like what you'd expect in his one quarter of play in late '16: a confident athlete with a monster arm but raw. I'm not saying he's going to be a great one, but why do many people [including the media] with no access his work on the practice field or classroom write him off already in favor of another raw QB?

There's only so many snaps at practice and so much time the QB coach can give these players...why add another raw rookie?

The fact that the Bills played Manuel instead of Cardale in the season ending game was indicative that he was not game ready, even for a tryout!

A Dak Prescott was able to learn the Cowboys playbook by beginning of regular season and Cardale had yet to master it at the end of the regular season that the Bills chose to start EJ in a meaningless game.

Here is the thing.....as raw and C. Jones is you could very well be right and the signing of Yates might actually back that up.

The plan might be

TT starter

Yates vet backup

C. Jones extremely raw developmental prospect lets see how he looks in year 2 battleing Yates for the backup spot guy

I DID see some things that I liked out of C. Jones last year......the guy has all the phyical tools you could ask for.

Maybe the bills are thinking that way.....we are gonna find out here really soon

Here is the thing.....as raw and C. Jones is you could very well be right and the signing of Yates might actually back that up.

The plan might be

TT starter

Yates vet backup

C. Jones extremely raw developmental prospect lets see how he looks in year 2 battleing Yates for the backup spot guy

I DID see some things that I liked out of C. Jones last year......the guy has all the phyical tools you could ask for.

Maybe the bills are thinking that way.....we are gonna find out here really soon

Yeah, why not!?!? None of us have seen enough to know what he's capable of. If they cut bait, they know more than we do. Fine. But I'd hate to spend a precious pick just to draft a QB so we can check a box.

After having him on the roster for a year the staff knows a lot more about him and his level of development than anyone else. If they think he's not worth much I'm willing to defer to them.

Plus, the new staff may not have thought much of him in the first place and/or don't factor him into their decision making process.

I love it, people clamor for us to draft a QB, we draft a developmental type in a fitting round and already people write him off.

There is no pleasing Bills fans at all.

People want to see QBs drafted early as if the position is taken seriously at OBD.

The plan might be

TT starter

Yates vet backup

Something that also stood out to me is he wasn't timid. What I like about him is he will show you what he's got good or bad. When he's in the game he acts like he's ready.

Having such a small playing career has killed him.

So, Cardale is done? A bust? What did I miss?

The fact that the Bills played Manuel instead of Cardale in the season ending game was indicative that he was not game ready, even for a tryout!.

It was indicative of absolutely nothing, other than perhaps the Bills' desire to improve their draft position.

The fact that the Bills played Manuel instead of Cardale in the season ending game was indicative that he was not game ready, even for a tryout!

A Dak Prescott was able to learn the Cowboys playbook by beginning of regular season and Cardale had yet to master it at the end of the regular season that the Bills chose to start EJ in a meaningless game.

I think it was much more about giving EJ one more chance, to show if he had what it took to even be the backup this year. Other than how bad EJ was, there wasn't any real need to play Jones. It wasn't his future that was even remotely on the line.

I would also have serious doubts as to how much the Ryans were actually bothered about developing Jones. Their collective attention span doesn't seem to extend to 'projects'.