why draft a raw QB when we've got Cardale on the roster

Commish

My problem with this is: If Cardale was able to transition to the NFL, he would have already got his shot. Right now he hasn't progressed fast enough to give the Bills a confidence that he will be their future QB. The Bills can't wait and watch but pick another QB and continue the competition.

That's silly. Cardale was drafted in the 4th round by a team with an established starter and a former no 1 pick as a back up. He was never expected to play, much less start, last year and he was never given a chance to do so. We really don't know what the new coaching staff thinks of him. We'll find out more this year.

And BTW, I'm fine with the Bills drafting another QB this year, but not with their no 1 pick.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Summary would be awesome if anyone has listened to it.

the summary is in the first link, audio in the second

Thank you Mr. Buckeye.

Bills second-year quarterback Cardale Jonesicon-article-link.gif has been hard at work this offseason on the finer points of his game. Jones is motivated to win the backup quarterback job behind Tyrod Tayloricon-article-link.gif, but he'll have formidable competition in veteran T.J. Yatesicon-article-link.gif and first-year QB Josh Woodrumicon-article-link.gif. One particular part of his throwing mechanics that he's changed for the better is his grip on the ball.

Working with QB coach Jeff Christensen who runs the 'Throw It Deep Academy, and is a former NFL QB, Jones adapted the grip on his ball against his own preferences and is seeing a big difference in his passing power and accuracy.

Christensen, who made an appearance on the John Murphy Show, explained how he convinced Jones to change his grip on the ball.

"Cardale the biggest change we made was this year," said Christensen. "I put up with it last year with him because I saw he would fight it. There were times when he would miss and he would miss ugly. The problems was he was gripping the ball wrong, and I showed him how to grip the ball properly and explained why. And he told me, 'Oh I've been gripping the ball like that my whole life. I can't, I can't, I can't.'

"I said, 'Cardale it'd only take you 10 days. It'll take you 1,000 throws and your spin rate on the ball with go up and your accuracy will go up and you'll start feeling comfortable.' But he was acting like he wasn't going to do it.

"Then he calls me nine days later and he's all excited, 'Coach I've been working on that grip and it's been working really well.' So I told him, 'There's a reason why Marino, Favre and Elways gripped the ball like that.' So when you get a guy like Cardale who is a really good person it's great to watch them grow."

Christensen has also been working with Jones on his body mechanics as they relate to throwing the ball as well.

"Just educating him on the causes and effects of what makes the ball come out of your hand perfect on various routes," he said. "Whether it's front side shallow routes or front side vertical routes or back side. What you do when you come off of one, to two, to three and how you have to rotate your shoulders, your knees and hips. Just basically an educational thing."

Says something about his previous coaching if they are just now (last year) teaching him how to grip a football properly. Good god.

Yolo - you better call your people up and ask them WTF?

Edited by PolishDave

I love Jones as a prospect. He's a perfect third-stringer - a young guy with all the talent in the world who just needs to develop.

It would have done him good to transfer after his redshirt sophomore season at Ohio State but hindsight is 20/20. If he had gone to an FCS school like Eastern Illinois or South Dakota State and/or play in a pro style offense for two whole seasons he could have grown into a first round pick. He just wasn't a fit in Urban Meyer's offense.

Now he's behind the eight-ball and may never recover from his lack of real game reps - which is what a quarterback needs the most.

Thank you Mr. Buckeye.

Says something about his previous coaching if they are just now (last year) teaching him how to grip a football properly. Good god.

Yolo - you better call your people up and ask them WTF?

oh god his QB coach was horrible in 2015... he was just "reassigned" out of OSU

David Lee is the biggest waste of space on a coaching staff ever. For crying out loud, he's the QB coach and he can't correct the way a guy is gripping the football?

Jesus.

Edit: great hire, Cleveland. Good luck getting out of your QB purgatory.

Edited by eball

David Lee is the biggest waste of space on a coaching staff ever. For crying out loud, he's the QB coach and he can't correct the way a guy is gripping the football?

Jesus.

Edit: great hire, Cleveland. Good luck getting out of your QB purgatory.

not only did Cleveland hire him as QB coach, but they did not hire an OC. So he probably will have ever more responsibility.

What the heck did David Lee teach Cardale all last season. I knew about how he gripped the ball any way it landed in his hands when drafted .

not sure what pro coaches do in any sport to improve fundamentals, there's enough of a pool to not bother with a project unless it's a disastrous early draft pick who can't be cut...

they love when they are gift-wrapped Kobe or Shaq or Michael Jordan in their prime

What the heck did David Lee teach Cardale all last season. I knew about how he gripped the ball any way it landed in his hands when drafted .

First thing he retooled was his feet under center. Literally, the first thing was to tell a nearly 24 year old dude that everything he had ever learned was wrong.

I love Jones as a prospect. He's a perfect third-stringer - a young guy with all the talent in the world who just needs to develop.

It would have done him good to transfer after his redshirt sophomore season at Ohio State but hindsight is 20/20. If he had gone to an FCS school like Eastern Illinois or South Dakota State and/or play in a pro style offense for two whole seasons he could have grown into a first round pick. He just wasn't a fit in Urban Meyer's offense.

Now he's behind the eight-ball and may never recover from his lack of real game reps - which is what a quarterback needs the most.

I like Cardale, but with him I wonder if the drive and love of football is there. He seems like a great guy, but I just don't hear or see the stories of him working out like a mad man trying to overtake Taylor. Condrads on him graduating OSU BTW. I remember Mike Williams who had all of the traits you'd want in an OT, but he just wasn't into football all that much. I wonder if Cardale just wants to do other things with his life and football is just a "for now" thing until the next phase. You either have that drive or you don't.

I'm sure a big part of the decision on QB at #10 hinges on how they view Cardale as a possible destination of a bridge QB like Taylor. If the feelings aren't that strong that he could ever become the franchise QB, then QB becomes a real possibility in the first round.

On the John Murphy show 1/2 hour ago, Tasker said that Cardale would likely go in the second round in this draft if he were in it this year. They mentioned he would be right behind Trubisky in terms of Qb rankings. They didn't mention where Trubisky was in those rankings compared to Watson, Mahommes and Kizer though.

I was told that all QB coaches are the same.

On the John Murphy show 1/2 hour ago, Tasker said that Cardale would likely go in the second round in this draft if he were in it this year. They mentioned he would be right behind Trubisky in terms of Qb rankings. They didn't mention where Trubisky was in those rankings compared to Watson, Mahommes and Kizer though.

Bills State Radio trying to sell us on Cardale Jones. What a surprise. And they mention how many busts there are at QB but don't mention Bills greats such as Maybin, McKelvin, Whitner, etc Edited by jeffismagic

But many here say Cardale is a bust and will be a training camp cut.

But many here say Cardale is a bust and will be a training camp cut.

Do you believe Tasker? This draft is far more loaded than last year and Cardale went at the end of the 4th. What has he done other than spend a year in Buffalo with David Lee?

EJ got WORSE after 4 years of Bills coaching!

Do you believe Tasker? This draft is far more loaded than last year and Cardale went at the end of the 4th. What has he done other than spend a year in Buffalo with David Lee?

EJ got WORSE after 4 years of Bills coaching!

I don't necessarily agree with Tasker, but I don't agree with you that this draft is far more loaded at QB than last year. To me, they look about the same, with maybe a bit more depth this year. I don't see that Cardale has done much to help his stock since he was drafted a year ago, but I don't think he's hurt it either. I'm not sure what the Bills' coaching staff or FO think of Cardale, or what the buzz is about him around the league. The point is, he's not going get cut unless he really looks awful. I think folks who want the Bills to use a high pick on a QB this year are going to be disappointed. In fact, I won't be surprised if they don't draft any QB this year.

I don't necessarily agree with Tasker, but I don't agree with you that this draft is far more loaded at QB than last year. To me, they look about the same, with maybe a bit more depth this year. I don't see that Cardale has done much to help his stock since he was drafted a year ago, but I don't think he's hurt it either. I'm not sure what the Bills' coaching staff or FO think of Cardale, or what the buzz is about him around the league. The point is, he's not going get cut unless he really looks awful. I think folks who want the Bills to use a high pick on a QB this year are going to be disappointed. In fact, I won't be surprised if they don't draft any QB this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if we ignore QB. We have a young coach that might want to Jauron his way through a draft.

My problem with this is: If Cardale was able to transition to the NFL, he would have already got his shot. Right now he hasn't progressed fast enough to give the Bills a confidence that he will be their future QB. The Bills can't wait and watch but pick another QB and continue the competition.

Considering the draft has yet to happen, this post really doesn't make a lot of sense. He spent his rookie year as our #3, and has yet to be cut. TC hasn't started yet, so there hasn't been any competition. They have cut EJ, and it has been widely speculated that the main reason Yeats is here is because of his familiarity with the yet to be installed offense-- there is no guarantee he will be on the roster come September. And, what if they don't draft a QB?

Given the above points, what information do you have to suggest that the Bills are not satisfied with the speed of Jones' progression?

Edited by Rocky Landing