Revive war memorial stadium and the rockpile

Howard

We won our last championship there. I saw my first game there, sat threw the 40 degree days and had our radio there. It had a great location and the site lines were really good. We used to bring in beer and whiskey and m and m's and schnapps. There wasnt much tailgating there in my day. It was mostly have friends to your house and take the bus or drive to the rockpile and watch the game. That was a great spot and we should revisit this location to build another 40,000 seat stadium. We would show the NFL owners that tradition matters. We could create a timecapsul and put in neat things like a Jim Kelly jersey and a Rich Stadium hot with foil wrapper. And a program from our Raiders championship game. Anyway, I think we need a stadium at the old rockpile so we can win another championship.

Hard to tailgate without parking, and there's no room for the parking lots, much less a 65,000+ seat stadium. They were questionable locations when they were built, and in the case of the Rockpile, 60 years has not been kind to the area.

Whenever I think I miss the Rockpile, I watch The Natural, and that makes the idea fade away.

We had seats about the 40 under the cover. Unfortunately, there were posts that blocked our views, and when it rained the roof didn't protect us. Instead, it collected the water and dumped it down on our heads like a fire hose coming through the gap in the roof. Still, some of my favorite memories! I was shocked and pleased to see the gates still standing.

Howard is one of my favorite posters.

You're just kissing up for some schnapps! :)

Edited by Augie

Howard- what's old is new again. I think you could rebuild it in almost the same spot but make it larger seating capacity, with the same design. Look at the popularity of older stadiums that have been renovated: solider field, lambeau, etc...

We won our last championship there. I saw my first game there, sat threw the 40 degree days and had our radio there. It had a great location and the site lines were really good. We used to bring in beer and whiskey and m and m's and schnapps. There wasnt much tailgating there in my day. It was mostly have friends to your house and take the bus or drive to the rockpile and watch the game. That was a great spot and we should revisit this location to build another 40,000 seat stadium. We would show the NFL owners that tradition matters. We could create a timecapsul and put in neat things like a Jim Kelly jersey and a Rich Stadium hot with foil wrapper. And a program from our Raiders championship game. Anyway, I think we need a stadium at the old rockpile so we can win another championship.

40 degree days.....that must have been cold compared to the 0 degree playoff games I've sat through

Fond memories of the Rockpile as well. If a downtown stadium does kill the tailgating atmosphere of Orchard Park, we wouldn't be the only franchise and we'd just get used to it like we did in the '60's. As for a the same/like design, no. The fans were closer to the field then, but upper deck supports killed many a view.

I was taking the garbage cans back to the garage this mornig and thought how neat it would be to have a nice big stadium on the site of the old rockpile. Instead of building it long enough for 80000 seats it could be build higher because really all we need is 100 yards and maybe 50 yards on either side so thats a total of 200 yards. Instead of building it only 300 feet high you can build it 700 feet high and double the occupancy. Think of a short long cardbored box and a tall narrow cardboard box. Build it taller and get more people in it with sky boxes way uphigh. Those rich people dont watch the field anyway they are too busy eating crockettes and can o peas. I'm going to the city council this month to look into this I think.

40,000 seats??? Try again old fella

(quote him) you wouldnt call me old fellow if you saw me. I get up at 3:30 every day. Oatmeal with keenwa and dates with my juice.

Either your in the middle of your REM cycle or you are high. The train station maybe but War Memorial is just a memory. I agree that there is work to be done and that this could someday be a prime area to be revisited but not with a stadium. We still have All High Stadium at Bennett which is great for High school football.

My first Bills game was the '69 home opener vs the Jets after Namath won the Super Bowl. We lost but it was fun being there. We walked from my neighborhood by St Stanislaus. By the time you got on Best it was like a parade.

A few years ago I went to a Hamilton Ti-Cat game at the old Ivor-Wynn Stadium and it was like a trip back in time to the Rockpile.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Youse guys need to cut old Howard a break. He remembers the good times at the old stadium.

But Howie I think you needs to move on from the stadium cuz it ain't happening. When they ripped it down you should have bought a seat. Or maybe a stall from the Men's room. That's where youse and Shirl met right?

P.S. J-E-T-S Jets JEts JETS.

I remember going to the Old Rock Pile with my father, he had season tickets. He once paid two kids to park in a driveway. Turns out it wasn't their driveway. After the game a very angry woman greeted us. Makes me laugh every time I think of it.

Youse guys need to cut old Howard a break. He remembers the good times at the old stadium.

But Howie I think you needs to move on from the stadium cuz it ain't happening. When they ripped it down you should have bought a seat. Or maybe a stall from the Men's room. That's where youse and Shirl met right?

(quote him) I thought I blocked you last year when you were commenting on my buddy Fran Mercurio and how I showed him what its like to learn a lesson in the parking lot at Dennys. Funny thing is he's a Jets fan too and it makes sense that you would show your pimpled face here in a message list about a ancient stadium which is the last time your team had any successes. The other funny thing is I was carrying the garbage cans into the garage this morning and i was able to see how you work your job each day. You can leave Shirl out of this message list because she and Howard are my family and I dont bring your family into these messages because I let sleeping dogs lie.

If you want to ever meet up at the mall some morning I'll be there. But you usually don't even wake up until 11am or so.

I was taking the garbage cans back to the garage this mornig and thought how neat it would be to have a nice big stadium on the site of the old rockpile. Instead of building it long enough for 80000 seats it could be build higher because really all we need is 100 yards and maybe 50 yards on either side so thats a total of 200 yards. Instead of building it only 300 feet high you can build it 700 feet high and double the occupancy. Think of a short long cardbored box and a tall narrow cardboard box. Build it taller and get more people in it with sky boxes way uphigh. Those rich people dont watch the field anyway they are too busy eating crockettes and can o peas. I'm going to the city council this month to look into this I think.

(quote him) you wouldnt call me old fellow if you saw me. I get up at 3:30 every day. Oatmeal with keenwa and dates with my juice.

I often think "Why am I spending time reading these posts?" and then I come across one like this and it makes it all worthwhile. Bravo!

(quote him) I thought I blocked you last year when you were commenting on my buddy Fran Mercurio and how I showed him what its like to learn a lesson in the parking lot at Dennys. Funny thing is he's a Jets fan too and it makes sense that you would show your pimpled face here in a message list about a ancient stadium which is the last time your team had any successes. The other funny thing is I was carrying the garbage cans into the garage this morning and i was able to see how you work your job each day. You can leave Shirl out of this message list because she and Howard are my family and I dont bring your family into these messages because I let sleeping dogs lie.

If you want to ever meet up at the mall some morning I'll be there. But you usually don't even wake up until 11am or so.

Listen up Howeird you might want to read a little better. I was being nice to you even about your stupid idea. I told the other guys in here to cut you some slack. The thing is I don't think podunk Buffalo is building any stadiums like the Jets has. It's too small and building it straight up in the air would get it blown over by all that snow. So get over it. And I wasn't talking about Shirl really just your memories of meeting her after waiting in that long line for the stall she was in.

And I didn't remember nothing about your affair with Freddy Mercury. I bet you pinned him right down there when you was teaching him a lesson but he was from England and those guys is easy to pin down. I'm from the city Howeird. Don't get out of your comfort zone cuz picking up your own teeth is never comfortable.

And I didn't know you had a kid named Howard too. Does he still live at home? Did he ever get a job?

My first Bills game was the '69 home opener vs the Jets after Namath won the Super Bowl. We lost but it was fun being there. We walked from my neighborhood by St Stanislaus. By the time you got on Best it was like a parade.

A few years ago I went to a Hamilton Ti-Cat game at the old Ivor-Wynn Stadium and it was like a trip back in time to the Rockpile.

Damn! That must have been when those neighborhoods were still nice. Couldn't imagine doing that these days.

I wonder how many hubcaps were stolen off cars while people were at the game back in the day when the Rockpile was still in use?

I have heard other guys talk about how it was normal for one guy in the group to wear a trench coat so he could carry in the booze and chasers. Good times I am sure.

Damn! That must have been when those neighborhoods were still nice. Couldn't imagine doing that these days.

Actually it was a rough neighborhood even in 1969. You just felt safe walking with thousands of people. But the old Humboldt Parkway was still a lovely tree-lined avenue. They hadn't dug it out for the new Kensington Expressway yet.

I wonder how many hubcaps were stolen off cars while people were at the game back in the day when the Rockpile was still in use?

I have heard other guys talk about how it was normal for one guy in the group to wear a trench coat so he could carry in the booze and chasers. Good times I am sure.

For a while they let people bring kegs. :w00t:

Actually it was a rough neighborhood even in 1969. You just felt safe walking with thousands of people. But the old Humboldt Parkway was still a lovely tree-lined avenue. They hadn't dug it out for the new Kensington Expressway yet.

which would have their own seat..

Edited by dwight in philly

giphy.gif

YAY! Twice today already!

Listen up Howeird you might want to read a little better. I was being nice to you even about your stupid idea. I told the other guys in here to cut you some slack. The thing is I don't think podunk Buffalo is building any stadiums like the Jets has. It's too small and building it straight up in the air would get it blown over by all that snow. So get over it. And I wasn't talking about Shirl really just your memories of meeting her after waiting in that long line for the stall she was in.

And I didn't remember nothing about your affair with Freddy Mercury. I bet you pinned him right down there when you was teaching him a lesson but he was from England and those guys is easy to pin down. I'm from the city Howeird. Don't get out of your comfort zone cuz picking up your own teeth is never comfortable.

And I didn't know you had a kid named Howard too. Does he still live at home? Did he ever get a job?

ATTENTION REFUGEES:

Meet Spags.

Discuss.

I was there too. We/the team honored the Jets in a pre-game salute for winning the SB. We tied them @ 19, but Namath took over, 33-19. OJ's 1st game as a Bill, wearing #32 for the 1st time and scored up the middle on a 5 yrd. run. Wonderful memory!

The Ralph, er, The NErF is our current Rockpile, relatively speaking.

It's the last bastion of the old-school NFL experience. I'm enjoying it while I can, because so much character and so much of the current routine will be lost with a new building.

• Like (+1) 1

(quote him) My son is Roger and my dog is Howard so you should read better. These guys on this message list have never met you until this list but Ive met you and have dealt with tough guys like you all my life. Your the type who used to swipe the bottles of wine and rye from my customers mailboxes during christmas that were for me. But thats how young criminals start by taking over innocent peoples things and I always knew it but figure carma will catch up to you. So now I see it has because you turned in to a real juvinile. I bet you havent even been to a game in the city because your scared what adults might say to you.

Fran Mercurio was italian not a brit and just like every other italian guy who bothers me, he learned what 45 years in the USPS can do to a man. He wont ever make fun of my team again.

So go watch your mtv heavy metal videos and polish your gold plated chains before you go on your next heist know it all.

Remember the Rock Pile well. Usually sat in the $5 end zone wooden bleacher seats.

Some kid stole my mom's purse once. A good Samaritan caught him & made the kid bring it back and apologize.

My dad would always park in private house's front lawns to save a couple of bucks (the cheap bastard!).

You didn't want to mess with those guys, or you would come back after the game with 4 slashed tires.

I never knew about the old Humboldt Pkwy (thanks for the history lesson). I did a google search on the Humboldt Pkwy and found a good article on the long, drawn out construction process of the Kensington Expressway. http://buffalonews.com/2016/05/08/buffalo-know-slow-death-humboldt-parkway-building-33-198-2/

The last time I went to mass at St. Stanislaus church was in the late 80's when we would have a yearly mass said on the anniversary of my grandfather's passing. I would have no clue if the old funeral home where he was laid out is even still there (which I believe was within walking distance of the church).

In regards to the Rockpile, I went there once (in 1986) for a Bison's game. I remember Joe DeSa was the Bison's big star back then. DeSa was killed in a car accident that offseason.