I keep hearing how deep this draft is at DB

stuvian

Deep in what? There are no sure Fire QB'S, some decent receivers, but no must haves. Pretty solid secondary players, but all in all I wouldn't say this is a deep draft class at all.

Literally every expert is saying this is the deepest DB class in 20 years. Now you can take what they say with a grain of salt, but when a load of people who's life work is football say something, you listen.

Guys going in the 3rd, 4th, and even 5th round this year could have been 2nd rounders last year.

I agree with this. This class of DBs is crazy deep. As far as I am concerned there are 2 open spots in the secondary right now. They have candidates in Seymour and Poyer but they may draft their replacements. There will be starting DBs this year that were drafted on day 3. Bandit and Gunner were talking about the depth of the group in the mock draft thread.

Literally every expert is saying this is the deepest DB class in 20 years. Now you can take what they say with a grain of salt, but when a load of people who's life work is football say something, you listen.

Some do, some don't and some never will...

I honestly feel that the Bills can address LB and WR in rounds 1 and 2 and STILL get a quality S and CB (quality zone corners can be found later, especially in a deep draft for the position) in rounds 3 and 5.

That being said, I expect it to be a very defense heavy draft. While they will likely address the QB, RT, and WR positions, something tells me it will be with later picks. We shall see soon enough.

The Bills find themselves between a rock and hard place. They just re-signed their starting QB, but with a pay cut! So while they like the fact that they're not going into the season without a starter, they certainly have shown a lack of confidence in Tyrod. So now what do they do? If you don't take a QB you've gone nowhere...again. And if you do take a QB while having so many holes to fill at other starting roster spots you've gone next to nowhere...again.

It would be so Bills like to draft a CB in the first round this year. Replace a proven player with an unknown. Assuming he could play, this yields a net zero in improving the team. That's how the Bills roll. :bag:

It would be so Bills like to draft a CB in the first round this year. Replace a proven player with an unknown. Assuming he could play, this yields a net zero in improving the team. That's how the Bills roll. :bag:

I could not agree more. This team needs to get off the CB Merry-Go-Round. Drafting CBs with high level picks year after year has proven not to work. These guys get picked apart by Brady twice a year (not to mention Fitzpatrick and others). Enough already!

Deep in what? There are no sure Fire QB'S, some decent receivers, but no must haves. Pretty solid secondary players, but all in all I wouldn't say this is a deep draft class at all.

I agree the QBs are more potential than sure fire and drops off a cliff quickly, the WRs are very good at the top but there is quality potential down the pipe. There is 2, 3 (depending on your thought about Peppers) high end Safeties, and being a draft-nik for 20+ years there have never been 2 top 5 safeties that I can recall like this year and the depth (high quality) potential through the 5th round. Corners outside of Lat and now S Jones injury are quality potential as well through the 5th round as well, the chances of landing a quality prospect in rounds 2-5 is better than I have ever seen. It's lacking at OL, DT and LB depth, but the RB, G and "Edge" class is quality similar to DB. It's a deep class like a good beer, good head and great body, the @$$ is always the @$$. While lacking in some areas the depth is there and it's a good year to have 2nd through 5th round picks, your chances of "hitting" on a lottery ticket there are good at a variety of positions...

This of course is IMO.

I think it is a very deep DB class. 15 corners and 11 safeties in my top 100, Bandit I think has a couple of additional corners in his as well.

Where else is there depth? I actually think there is day two depth at at Wide Receiver - I have EIGHT with second round grades. It does drop off after that though. I haven't got as deep into some of the late round WRs bur I don't think there is sleeper receiver talent on day 3 that would be ready to start. I feel a bit the same about pass rushers. Good class of round 1 and 2 graded rushers but not some of the depth in later rounds there has been in some recent classes.

Tight End is pretty deep. Rounds 4 and 5 should be a sweet spot there and I think there are some inside linebackers down in that early day 3 range that can play too, though they are skillset fits.

Where is it not deep? Offensive line for sure. I hate this line class. I only have 5 tackles in my top 100 and only 3 in my top 85. Inside depth might be slightly better but not much. I also don't think it is as deep of a running back class. The top 3 on the board could all go in the 1st round.... but it is not especially deep after that.

I think when looking at the Bills picks you go Quarterback if you like any of them in the 1st - if you don't stay strictly to your board and go BPA. After that there is a fair chance that value and need might marry up roughly as so:

2nd - Wide Receiver

3rd - Defensive Back

5th (2 picks) - Defensive Back and Tight end

Yes Rd 2.

It's deep at WR as well.

Bills trade down and take Reddick rd 1, CB then WR rd 2, in that order too

That's what I am thinking too. LB in first, S, CB, and WR next 3 picks- all after trade down

I think it is a very deep DB class. 15 corners and 11 safeties in my top 100, Bandit I think has a couple of additional corners in his as well.

Where else is there depth? I actually think there is day two depth at at Wide Receiver - I have EIGHT with second round grades. It does drop off after that though. I haven't got as deep into some of the late round WRs bur I don't think there is sleeper receiver talent on day 3 that would be ready to start. I feel a bit the same about pass rushers. Good class of round 1 and 2 graded rushers but not some of the depth in later rounds there has been in some recent classes.

Tight End is pretty deep. Rounds 4 and 5 should be a sweet spot there and I think there are some inside linebackers down in that early day 3 range that can play too, though they are skillset fits.

Where is it not deep? Offensive line for sure. I hate this line class. I only have 5 tackles in my top 100 and only 3 in my top 85. Inside depth might be slightly better but not much. I also don't think it is as deep of a running back class. The top 3 on the board could all go in the 1st round.... but it is not especially deep after that.

I think when looking at the Bills picks you go Quarterback if you like any of them in the 1st - if you don't stay strictly to your board and go BPA. After that there is a fair chance that value and need might marry up roughly as so:

2nd - Wide Receiver

3rd - Defensive Back

5th (2 picks) - Defensive Back and Tight end

Well said, I agree with almost all of this I dont think the RB class is as deep as I keep hearing it is with "starters" and such but I think the depth is above average to good with quality prospects, forgot to mention TE's in my post and agree with your assessment there positionally. Just wondering who your top 5 tackles are? I only have 4 in my top 100 that I would feel comfortable developing purely at T and most of the prospects IMO are better suited at G.

Edited by P51

JMO, I think they'll go CB in round 2 or later, it fits what McDermott has worked with and developed in the past with his D's and with his zone schemes value. If Latimore, Adams or Hooker falls to 10 I think they may bite the round 1 DB apple, but otherwise IMO its trade back, LDE, WLB, WR or Howard at 10 where the value and need match. Outside chance at QB if they love one of them, but I dont see the value there personally.

Agree 100% that if they take anyone other than Lat (who I dont see making it past 6 unless the Hammies are a real long term issue, in which case pass at 10) at CB at 10 is essentially a lateral move at best.

Just wondering who your top 5 tackles are? I only have 4 in my top 100 that I would feel comfortable developing purely at T and most of the prospects IMO are better suited at G.

I have Cam Robinson as my top tackle with Ramczyk just behind. Both with high 2nds. Then I have Grant Bolles with a mid to low 2nd and then Anthony Garcia and Roderick Johnson just sneaking into the 100. Don't have my full board with me at work but I think Garcia is like #87 and Johnson #98.

I have Cam Robinson as my top tackle with Ramczyk just behind. Both with high 2nds. Then I have Grant Bolles with a mid to low 2nd and then Anthony Garcia and Roderick Johnson just sneaking into the 100. Don't have my full board with me at work but I think Garcia is like #87 and Johnson #98.

Cam at LT or RT?

Fair enough with the top 4, I have Ram (21 overall w/a top 20 grade, LT), Bolles (27 overall w/a 1st round grade, LT), then Robinson (32 overall w/a 2nd round grade, RT/LT), then the position takes a nose dive to Garcia (100 overall w/a 3rd round grade, LT), but I am still working on my back 50.

What do you like about Johnson? Ive got a 5th round on him and just dont see it with him in terms of putting the physical ability with his on the field ability. He's in my "looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane" category, which historically has not panned out for prospects.

I could not agree more. This team needs to get off the CB Merry-Go-Round. Drafting CBs with high level picks year after year has proven not to work. These guys get picked apart by Brady twice a year (not to mention Fitzpatrick and others). Enough already!

Fantastic post!!!

Seems to be the case. While I've long Ben advocating for taking Ruben Foster at 10, if he's gone, I wouldn't pass on elite talents (imo) in adams or hooker. If all 3 are off the board trading down is the best option, where we could possibly draft Reddick, Cunningham or J, Davis. Or we could just take a QB if we deem him worthy. Then I'd go WR with our 2nd pick then DBs after WR.

The Bills find themselves between a rock and hard place. They just re-signed their starting QB, but with a pay cut! So while they like the fact that they're not going into the season without a starter, they certainly have shown a lack of confidence in Tyrod. So now what do they do? If you don't take a QB you've gone nowhere...again. And if you do take a QB while having so many holes to fill at other starting roster spots you've gone next to nowhere...again.

If you use your first round pick on a qb you are not mortgaging the rest of the draft. It is only one pick. This draft is not going to come close to filling all of our needs even if no pick was used for a qb. The draft is only a partial way to address needs. It is also done through free agency which is our main method of filling in holes.

I would like to see the Bills trade back, but there are not that many of those types of trades...circumstances outside of the Bills control would dictate such an opportunity. But, they should be ready in any event should they be approached. More picks better as needs are many this year.

Cam at LT or RT?

Fair enough with the top 4, I have Ram (21 overall w/a top 20 grade, LT), Bolles (27 overall w/a 1st round grade, LT), then Robinson (32 overall w/a 2nd round grade, RT/LT), then the position takes a nose dive to Garcia (100 overall w/a 3rd round grade, LT), but I am still working on my back 50.

What do you like about Johnson? Ive got a 5th round on him and just dont see it with him in terms of putting the physical ability with his on the field ability. He's in my "looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane" category, which historically has not panned out for prospects.

With Johnson I like the athelticism. I think there is decent physical potential there and I think he understands the position but his technique lets him down a lot. He gets beaten inside too often and I know what you mean about not playing to his physical potential I don't see that aggressive first punch that I want to see from a dominant lineman. I just see a kid who is athletic and seems to understand what he is being asked to do. If someone could spend a year working with him on technique I think you might get a player out of him.

It is a 3rd / 4th borderline grade he has and as I say he is somewhere around #98 without having my board right in front of me.

As for Cam I think you draft him and try him at Left Tackle first and that is the basis on which I have graded him but I feel like he might be the lowest risk of a bad class because I can see some RT and even some guard traits in there so if he doesn't stick at LT you have two other positions to shoot at before he totally busts.

I actually think Ramczyk ends up a very solid NFL right tackle. Whether he has the top end physical assets to play left tackle I am less sure.

Edited by GunnerBill

I also think its a deep DB class, now the question is, do you prefer to draft one of the top 3 prospects of a very good DB class or maybe wait and draft someone in the 2nd round were he could be the 7-12 best player at his position?

This reminds me a lot when we drafted Sammy, I was thrilled the Bills drafted Sammy, I still like the fact that he is a Bills, but we didn´t need to trade up to get the no. 1 WR when 2-5 were also very good prospects...

I think I would take BPA and if thats a DB so be it, even if you draft DB and DB with the first 2 picks, it´s not like we don´t need 2 of them or more.

With Johnson I like the athelticism. I think there is decent physical potential there and I think he understands the position but his technique lets him down a lot. He gets beaten inside too often and I know what you mean about not playing to his physical potential I don't see that aggressive first punch that I want to see from a dominant lineman. I just see a kid who is athletic and seems to understand what he is being asked to do. If someone could spend a year working with him on technique I think you might get a player out of him.

,It is a 3rd / 4th borderline grade he has and as I say he is somewhere around #98 without having my board right in front of me.

As for Cam I think you draft him and try him at Left Tackle first and that is the basis on which I have graded him but I feel like he might be the lowest risk of a bad class because I can see some RT and even some guard traits in there so if he doesn't stick at LT you have two other positions to shoot at before he totally busts.

I actually think Ramczyk ends up a very solid NFL right tackle. Whether he has the top end physical assets to play left tackle I am less sure.

Johnson still is young being 21 and not turning 22 until midish season next year I believe, so developmental time could certainly go a long way to helping technically and fundamentally. I was surprised he came out. I can see him going in the 3rd or 4th round given his natural physical traits and potential, I keep seeing him in the 2nd which is too rich for my blood, but he has things that can not be taught and teams like to think they can turn that into something more.

I am pretty much on the same page with Robinson, if he were more consistent Id like him alot more. I liked Ereck Flowers a lot (top 10 grade :wacko: ) and my notes on their issues are very similar regarding their balance issues in keeping their weight inline with their feet.

Ram is in a similar boat to Cam for me at the LT position, but I think his balance and overall technique is better and is less risky at LT, but if that fails I think his fall back is to RT and he'll be fine there. I think Ram is a day 1 LT, but I could see him starting at RT day 1 then moving to LT by the end of the season, IMO he's a immediate starter at a T spot either way.

I appreciate the response :beer:

Cam at LT or RT?

For whatever it's worth, I have Bolles at 25, Ramczyk as 30, Cam at 52, Garcia at 77, and Johnson outside my top-100, but with a R4-R5 grade.

Budda Baker is one of my favorite players in this draft. Right now I am guessing he goes in later 1st round/early 2nd. He fits our defense very nicely. And if we trade down and get Budda, that is a win in my book.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/17/bills-2017-nfl-draft-spotlight-s-budda-baker-scouting-report/

I have Baker as my 17th overall player--outstanding talent.

He may get knocked for his size, but to me he's a starter at either safety spot that can walk down and play slot corner as well.

I have said this in many threads before,... I think we need to get the best either DB or LB available in round 1, then either WR or TE in round 2, then again DB or LB in round three and use the few remaining picks for first OL, then maybe a developmental QB or specialty player, say a smaller quick WR who can return or a big fat DT with talent and just needs a little hard work to slim down.

Ya feeling me?? BPA might just be the best policy in this draft with a focus on DB and LB to help fill holes. Only McD really knows the type of player's we need, but I am sure we all know there will be at least one DB and one LB picked in the first five rounds from us.

I have said this in many threads before,... I think we need to get the best either DB or LB available in round 1, then either WR or TE in round 2, then again DB or LB in round three and use the few remaining picks for first OL, then maybe a developmental QB or specialty player, say a smaller quick WR who can return or a big fat DT with talent and just needs a little hard work to slim down.

Ya feeling me?? BPA might just be the best policy in this draft with a focus on DB and LB to help fill holes. Only McD really knows the type of player's we need, but I am sure we all know there will be at least one DB and one LB picked in the first five rounds from us.

My philosophy is pretty easy: if you feel a guy can be a franchise QB, then he's the pick. After (or failing) that, take BPA, focusing on critical positions like pass rusher and corner, but be willing to go with other positions if a guy is a special player.

So which CBs in the draft could come in and start for the Bills?

Which S could come in and start?

Just my opinion, of course, but

CB:

Marshon Lattimore

Tre'davious White

Corderea Tankersley

Gareon Conley

Fabian Moreau

Kevin King

Ahkello Witherspoon

Rasul Douglas

Marquez White

S:

Jamal Adams

Malik Hooker

Obi Melifonwu

Budda Baker

Josh Jones

Marcus Williams

Desmond King

Justin Evans

Xavier Woods

My philosophy is pretty easy: if you feel a guy can be a franchise QB, then he's the pick. After (or failing) that, take BPA, focusing on critical positions like pass rusher and corner, but be willing to go with other positions if a guy is a special player.

I agree, but I just don't think the QB is there. Maybe Trubisky or Mahomes, but I just haven't seen enough on tape to fall in love with either.

Then, as you said, BPA, with focus on critical areas, and maybe a stretch if the value is out of this world good at any particular pick. That's all good, and most draft rooms probably think the same way, it's just if they have evaluated talent and set their boards up well or not.

We will see soon!

For whatever it's worth, I have Bolles at 25, Ramczyk as 30, Cam at 52, Garcia at 77, and Johnson outside my top-100, but with a R4-R5 grade.

Sounds like the top three varies here, similarly to the draft community. Where is the drop off? For me it's after the top three...