If your not from WNY how'd you start to root for the Bills?

My boys grew up in Buc's country. When they turned 16 I took them both to a Bills game in Buffalo. A rite of passage. The older son had been to Bills/Buc's in Tampa just a few weeks earlier. I asked "so how did they compare?". He said there was no comparison at all, and they are both HUGE Bills fans today! The cool part is, I get texts almost daily from them, even in the offseason, about the Bills. Hearing from them is priceless! Thank you Buffalo Bills. :)

Great post. I think somewhere up there, Tim Russert is smiling down on you.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i recall, the Seahawks started off in the NFC West when they first joined the league

Off topic but interesting fact from Wikipedia:

"The Seahawks are the only NFL team to switch conferences twice in the post-merger era. The franchise began play in 1976 in the NFC West division but switched conferences with the Buccaneers after one season and joined the AFC West."

if i recall, the Seahawks started off in the NFC West when they first joined the league

Outstanding. I had to look it up but you are right and I had no recollection of that. Are they the only team that changed conferences twice? Can't think of another.

Off topic but interesting fact from Wikipedia:

"The Seahawks are the only NFL team to switch conferences twice in the post-merger era. The franchise began play in 1976 in the NFC West division but switched conferences with the Buccaneers after one season and joined the AFC West."

Outstanding. I had to look it up but you are right and I had no recollection of that. Are they the only team that changed conferences twice? Can't think of another.

....a minute late and a dollar short, thanks Uncle Joe.

....a minute late and a dollar short, thanks Uncle Joe.

The colts had like 4 division changes if that counts for anything.

Moved in the mid 70's from the NYC area where I was a Jet's fan. Also liked the Giants too. In Baseball I was a Met's fan and hated the Yankee's, In football liked both but if the Jet's played the Giants rooted for the Jets. From the mid when I arrived till around 1985 still rooted for the Jets. In the late 70's many of those years the Bills were real bad and didn't always sell out at home which would make me happy as often then the local TV stations would then televise the Jet's game instead. Rooted for the Jets' to beat the Bills in that one playoff game, in 1980 or 81?? Interception by the Jet's in the end zone at the end of the game won it for them.

Around 1984, the Jet's and the Bills both hit the skids so became hard to follow either. Kelly arrives the end of 86, all the media hype, couldn't help but get caught up in it and followed them ever since and have rooted for them to beat the Jets whenever they've played. Can say I've rooted for the Bills to beat the Jets more times than I ever rooted the other way. Back then was much harder to follow an out of area team without the internet and no Sunday Ticket for out of area games.

Since 2008 moved to North Carolina but still follow the Bills and root for them. Only reason I have ST is to watch their games. With sites like this, easy to follow the same team even after moving. Probably if Al Gore had invented the internet prior to when I moved to western NY in 1976, I would have still followed and rooted for the Jets as now is the case with me still following the Bills. But back then was much tougher to not just root for the local team.

Southern Ontario born and raised. My dad went to games when I was a kid, so I followed the team with him. First NFL game I went to was a Bills-Fins game and as a teenager in the early nineties, I wasn't buying the gear from the team in pastel. Been afflicted ever since.

That is very cool.

Although there are plenty of haters, I am often surprised at the number of Crimson Tide Fans that post here. I have been to 16 Bills games and have yet to see the Tide in Tuscaloosa (although I did see them years ago at the Meadowlands). It costs WAY more than watching the Bills.

The Bills are a qb, a good draft and a GM away from being a playoff team imo. I would not be surprised if TT gets us in the playoffs. If McDermott can coach and Whaley is isolated/fired, we just might creep in imo.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep I have been a Bills season ticket holder for since the 90's and I have been to at least two games per year in Buffalo plus almost every game they play in the Meadowlands and now New England but like you I have never seen the Tide in Tuscaloosa. We might have to make the journey together one year!

I can't believe we have fans who aren't from WNY (or their parents). Masochists I tell you.

Amen brother! I can't argue with that description of myself. Why else would I choose to cheer for the Mets over the Yankees, the Islanders over the Rangers and of course the Bills over the Giants. I even moved from the NYC area 10 years ago and could have jumped on the Brady bandwagon, life would be so much easier. "Without suffering how could we know joy"? :)

Amen brother! I can't argue with that description of myself. Why else would I choose to cheer for the Mets over the Yankees, the Islanders over the Rangers and of course the Bills over the Giants. I even moved from the NYC area 10 years ago and could have jumped on the Brady bandwagon, life would be so much easier. "Without suffering how could we know joy"? :)

I'm right there with you on Bills, Mets, Islanders. Bills and islanders each had one good stretch. Mets are like cicadas waking up every 17 years or so and then disappearing.

I'm right there with you on Bills, Mets, Islanders. Bills and islanders each had one good stretch. Mets are like cicadas waking up every 17 years or so and then disappearing.

Great description! I think we look pretty good this year. Its the Islanders who are break hearts this year

At least the Mets and Islanders have won it all at some point. Not in this century but they have. I mean hell the Islanders won 4 in a row.

Side Note; I cannot wait for opening day. Bought the weekday package with my cousins and step dad. Hopefully, Thor continues is rise to greatness.

In Mexico in the 80´s we used to have just a couple of games a week 2 or 3 maybe with the same teams playing Cowboys, Steelers, SF and Dolphins were the main attractions so I grew up watching Dallas a lot as my dad was a Cowboy fan.

I remember that I didn´t want to root for the same teams everybody like, so one day my dad and I were watching Dallas vs Bills in a winter game and I just loved the unis, the cold satdium, you could feel the energy of the fans, and they beat Dallas so from that moment I became a Bills fan for life.

Couple of years later they killed us in both Superbowls...

In Mexico in the 80´s we used to have just a couple of games a week 2 or 3 maybe with the same teams playing Cowboys, Steelers, SF and Dolphins were the main attractions so I grew up watching Dallas a lot as my dad was a Cowboy fan.

I remember that I didn´t want to root for the same teams everybody like, so one day my dad and I were watching Dallas vs Bills in a winter game and I just loved the unis, the cold satdium, you could feel the energy of the fans, and they beat Dallas so from that moment I became a Bills fan for life.

Couple of years later they killed us in both Superbowls...

Could that game have been in November of 1984?

I am from Connecticut.

I sat down on January 27th, 1991, to watch the Superbowl with my Dad. I was a 10 year old video game geek with no real sports interests, he was an adult computer geek with no real sports interests. But it was the Superbowl and I was really just becoming aware of this thing called sports. We had no loyalties to any team.

He said "well I guess it's more fun when you have someone to root for, I'm going to root for the Giants".

So I had a choice.

Should I root WITH my dad, or AGAINST my dad. I decided rooting against each other made the game more interesting.

The rest, as they say, is like the official Bills board. History. FML.

I can't believe we have fans who aren't from WNY (or their parents). Masochists I tell you.

This team and its fans just grew on me and I will probably never shake it in my lifetime. My 1st NFL game was at the Ralph and i feel like a child everytime I go there. If we ever get good again it will be ecstacy (the feeling, not the drug :lol: )

Edited by stuvian

This team and its fans just grew on me and I will probably never shake it in my lifetime. My 1st NFL game was at the Ralph and i feel like a child everytime I go there. If we ever get good again it will be ecstacy (the feeling, not the drug :lol: )

we are good. Starting now!

I grew up in WNY, but my sons were born in Hilton Head Island, SC. (Pretty cool.) Moved to Florida when they were young and watched me go through my weekly fits. Saint Mrs Augie would often take them for 3 hour walks on Sundays, with the 2 dogs. Kind neighbors would took them in and gave refuge. It WAS Sunday, after all.

When each of my boys turned 16 I took them up for a game at the Ralph, both against the Jets. It seemed like the best chance for a win! :) Stayed at the Williamsville Hampton Inn and went as part of their employee bus/tailgating outing. Great people from the Hampton Inn!!! Wherever we went, people heard the story and begged us to attend their tailgate. It was so cool and so 'Buffalo".

My oldest had been to a Bills/Bucs game in Tampa a few weeks earlier. He said there was ZERO comparison. The best part is I hear (at least by text) from both boys daily, usually about the Bills. Priceless! Best money ever spent!

I was 6 (91') and my mom had grounded me for God knows what. I wanted to watch the Superbowl so I flipped a coin to chose a team as my "favorite". It's about the only thing the Bills have won in my 26 years of being a fan. Just think I was a half rotation away from being a Giants fan. I could have 3 Superbowls under my fan belt. Go Bills!

Edited by BillsInMaine

It could, I don´t have that good of a memory I was very young. Do you remember that game?

My son was born on November 16 of 1984.

The first football game we watched together in the hospital was November 18.

The Bills won 14-3.

Iconic that was our first game to watch because I'm now a Bills fan too because my best friend is a HUGE Bills fan.

I grew up on the Michigan border in southern Ontario. Most folks are Lions fans there, but we would get all the Bills games on t.v as well. Although I will always like the Lions and the city of Detroit in general, Jim Kelly's K-Gun offense was something I loved to watch even more than Barry Sanders doing it all alone. I now live in Montreal and most people like the Patriots, nice huh? However, there are lots of Pats-haters up here who tend to be fans of other AFC east teams. Elderly Francophone (French-speaking) Quebeckers tend to cheer for the Dolphins as many spend parts of the winter in the Hollywood area of Florida.

VIVRE LES BILLS DE BUFFALO!!!!!! LONG LIVE THE BUFFALO BILLS!!!!!!

Edited by Marcel99bigdee