If your not from WNY how'd you start to root for the Bills?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best guess? I was a horrible person in a previous life.

Grew up in Cleveland and spent my whole life between there and Columbus. Moved to B-lo 5 years ago this summer. I'm 48 now and I'll always root for my Cleveland teams and Ohio State, even the Blue Jackets a little athough I'm not a huge hockey fan. We are definitely a football family. My wife grew up in Pennsylvania and is a Steelers and Penguins fan. My son follows me rooting for Cleveland teams, but my daughter keeps switching allegiances for football. We all root for the Buckeyes and the Cavs, but when we moved we decided to all root for our new home's teams too. I always had good feelings for Buffalo's teams anyway. The Kelly era Bills were so much fun to watch, I loved watching Hasek play for the Sabres and the Bisons were the Indians AAA team for a long, long time. Plus there was definitely a simpatico feeling for the two cities' droughts. So I'm not sure what I did past life to wind up rooting for the Browns AND the Bills, but I'm pretty sure it was a lot worse than what you did.

I have a lot of similarities to others.

Born and raised in Northern California, and as a kid I liked teams that were winning. I was actually a Dolphins fan for awhile. Even cheered for the Bengals a little.

In my case it was Long Island and somehow I became a fan of the Super Bowl winner every year until my father took me aside and explained how bogus that was. He was from Chicago, Mom from Boston so no allegiance to Jets or Giants and neither team had a real superstar except for Namath whose knees were shot. But there was:

...a certain generational running back from USC... who, despite all that's happened in the intervening years, might just have been the most exciting football player that I have ever seen

Yup, blame it on OJ! I decided on the Bills as my team in large part due to OJ and I've stuck with them ever since.

... my boys are fans if they want to live in my. House. Just kidding, but I raised them to love the Bills. It's too bad they've never seen a top Bills team.

Pretty much the same. I wonder if this could be considered a form of child abuse. Both are all in with the Bills and lately have been nagging me that they want to go to a game. I won't take them to see the Jets so a trip to Buffalo is in order.

I still have yet to go to my first game in Buffalo. I

I've made the trip twice. Both wins (Pats and Bears) with Flutie under center, so it's been awhile. One was a guy road trip and the other time my GF surprised me with tix for my birthday. I married her. Will more than likely make it up next year with the whole family.

Edited by LI_Bills

Born and raised in Fort Worth Texas.

Always been​ a Dallas Cowboys fan HOWEVER in May of 2008 I met a HUGE Bills fan at a swimming pool at a club we had joined.

Hang around this person you become a Bills fan too! So now the Bills are my AFC Team.

Watched the Bills in Bloomfield, NJ on Sunday afternoons in '64 & '65 with my Uncle Joe - hence my moniker.

Followed the Bills in Oregon since 1970. Subsequently found out in 1976 that my Uncle Joe was a Giants fan first and foremost.
The Giants have always been my NFL/NFC team.

I rooted for the the Bills in Superbowl 25. When they lost I was ok because it was the Giants and I knew the Bills would return to the Superbowl.
Little did I know what fate would hold for them...

A Friend of mine got me into the nfl ten years ago and said I should support a poor tram to then see them turn it around rather than hopping on the bandwagon of a team like the Steelers or patriots.

I googled bad nfl teams and the bills were the first hit. Still waiting for that turnaround....

Edited by Jasovon

Growing up in NYC, i was really disappointed to find out that the Jets and Giants played in NJ. I was 11 years old. My Dad told me that NY State has another team...That was it for me! Been a die hard fan since.

Edited by KGun12TD

I am from Kearny, NJ and now live in Levittown, NY, which is Long Island.

I became a Bills fan back in 82.

In 81, when I was 9 years old, my fandom was all over the place. So, my father, who was a big Jets fan, told me to pick a team or face a lifetime of persecution, lol.

So, the Bills and Jets happened to be playing the 81 Wild Card game at the time and I told my father I will root for whichever team wins this game.

It just so happened that I was rooting for the Bills during the game anyways cause the entire crowd was for the Jets. I was always rooting for the bad guys when I was young, lol.

So that's the strange story of me becoming a Bills fan.

I am from Kearny, NJ and now live in Levittown, NY, which is Long Island.

I became a Bills fan back in 82.

In 81, when I was 9 years old, my fandom was all over the place. So, my father, who was a big Jets fan, told me to pick a team or face a lifetime of persecution, lol.

So, the Bills and Jets happened to be playing the 81 Wild Card game at the time and I told my father I will root for whichever team wins this game.

It just so happened that I was rooting for the Bills during the game anyways cause the entire crowd was for the Jets. I was always rooting for the bad guys when I was young, lol.

So that's the strange story of me becoming a Bills fan.

I am from Port Jefferson Station, Suffolk. Spent about 27 of my 29 years of existence there.

Kind of funny cause my father is a die hard jets fan. Growing up we werent allowed to watch games in the same room.

To this day I have to give the man some credit for letting all four of his boys be Bills fans while he was a Jets fan.

My son is 2 and heaven help me if he roots for another team lol.

Born and raised in Queens. My friends and I would go to Shea and watch Jet games. I liked them because of Namath (my father was born in Alabama) and I much preferred the AFL to the NFL.

When the Jets moved to New Jersey I didn't forgive them. I became a Bills Fan and never looked back.

Being a Bills Fan and a Crimson Tide Fan is really strange. As an Alabama Fan, you are an immediate member of a cult that wins. It's crazy. Sometimes they will be losing and you can just feel that they will come back. Then the other team makes one mistake and it's lights out.

I have been a Bills Fan for decades now. I've got to meet and know some of the best, nicest, and most knowledgeable fans in the country. Also, they are some of the funniest people on earth. Much of the humor is pain based.

I have no regrets. My daughters are Bills Fans and they are fighters, and loyal people. I guess the most weird thing is that I admit to feeling just a tad guilty after the Tide rolls over someone. Bills Fans deserve a team like this.

Let's just make the playoffs, OK?

Grew up just outside Syracuse (Baldwinsville) and was passed down fanhood from my grandfather during the Super Bowl years. I just remember I could feel his excitement and passion for this team. It meant everything to me that he wanted to share this moment... Came over with candy and Bills hoodies. We were pumped!!

He left in the 3rd quarter.

Now I spread the sadness to the younger generation.

Maybe this year?! Go Bills!

Dad took me to a Raiders / Bills game when I was a kid. I was a Raiders fan. Read "Ken Stabler and the Oakland Raiders" hundreds of times. Was a huge fan. Dave Casper was my favorite player. Rooted for the Raiders during the game, but the Bills fans, the stadium, the environment, and most importantly, seeing my Dad rooting for them changed me. I've been a Bills fan ever since.