QB Depth Heading Into The Season

Right now we only have Tyrod Taylor and Cardale Jones. Unless Whaley is a complete idiot, I'm pretty sure he will draft a QB. Im not sure when though. With greater needs at WR & DB, Id be shocked if we go with a QB in the first two rounds. If thats the case we will likely end up with mid level talent for a QB like Davis Webb, Nathan Peterman,Joshua Dobbs or Chad Kelly.

So in logic we'll have a mid level talent starting QB, and 2 very raw and unproven QBs.

What Im trying to get to is where is the veteran back-up QB we can trust if god forbid Tyrod goes down. Sorry but Im not sold on Jones as back-up, there is a reason he lost out on the starting job at Ohio State. A strong arm will only get you so far on the football field.

Anyways, how have we not interviewed guys like Cutler, Kap, RG3 or Keenum? The going rate for back-up QB seems to be around 2 mill per. Im sure we can get 1 of these guys for that if not a little less.

Right now we only have Tyrod Taylor and Cardale Jones. Unless Whaley is a complete idiot, I'm pretty sure he will draft a QB. Im not sure when though. With greater needs at WR & DB, Id be shocked if we go with a QB in the first two rounds. If thats the case we will likely end up with mid level talent for a QB like Davis Webb, Nathan Peterman,Joshua Dobbs or Chad Kelly.

So in logic we'll have a mid level talent starting QB, and 2 very raw and unproven QBs.

What Im trying to get to is where is the veteran back-up QB we can trust if god forbid Tyrod goes down. Sorry but Im not sold on Jones as back-up, there is a reason he lost out on the starting job at Ohio State. A strong arm will only get you so far on the football field.

Anyways, how have we not interviewed guys like Cutler, Kap, RG3 or Keenum? The going rate for back-up QB seems to be around 2 mill per. Im sure we can get 1 of these guys for that if not a little less.

Given the situation at QB I'm surprised that this discussing hasn't been had. Your way out infront of this one, need some of that forward thinking at OBD.

Given the situation at QB I'm surprised that this discussing hasn't been had. Your way out infront of this one, need some of that forward thinking at OBD.

....have a thought on interviewing Chase Daniel as the "vet presence"?......also, I don't see Cardale ever panning out.....his collegiate body of work is about 1/2 page long..........

Tyrod Taylor isn’t a franchise QB. So the greatest need for the Buffalo Bills is at QB.

Unless your goal is to just be ok, be “in the hunt”. If that’s your goal, then why worry about a back up QB? It’s not like you’re trying to win a Superbowl anyways. Your roll in the league is to be “in the hunt” and just miss out in the final weeks, then go away and let the teams with real NFL QBs play for the championship.

Edited by 1billsfan

I honestly think we sign a vet this year,and by default go after a QB next year. If we're lucky,there shouldn't be qb starved teams ahead of us in the draft next year,as Cle and SF should get their guys this year,leaving us for the pick of the litter next year...im dreaming,i know. But it might be plausible to surmise that?

if we end up with a mid tier rookie draft pick this year....and i'm hoping it's chad kelly, why not bring in nassib for a visit? chase daniel will find a more lucrative deal elsewhere. nassib was behind ely all this time and in limited playing time was what?...9-12 128 and a td? cheap too

Edited by billsredneck1

This is new uncovered INFORMATION here! I have to wonder if the front office has even noticed we only have two? No wonder we have half a dozen threads about firing Doug. I must now do a search and see if in fact this has been discussed and I have been missing it. Truly I will find it has not because you would have done your due diligence and searched ahead of time to be sure you could give one of those many "QB situation"threads the very well thought out OP you did above.

Never mind. Just did the search....been rehashed before.

This is new uncovered INFORMATION here! I have to wonder if the front office has even noticed we only have two? No wonder we have half a dozen threads about firing Doug. I must now do a search and see if in fact this has been discussed and I have been missing it. Truly I will find it has not because you would have done your due diligence and searched ahead of time to be sure you could give one of those many "QB situation"threads the very well thought out OP you did above.

Never mind. Just did the search....been rehashed before.

Did they mention Mahomes in those threads? Maybe that could be a new topic.

with roughly 6mm in cap space, Cutler will not be coming here.

Don't forget A Williams was designated as a post June 1st cut so we carry roughly 6MM of salary until after June first then the cap is is much less. Also by Then Free agents will be cheaper if their are any less and we will be post draft.

I think all signs are pointing to a QB in round 1 or 2. Tyrod is essentially on a 1 year bridge QB deal. I don't think Cardale has shown enough to be seen as a franchise QB. They have not brought a veteran backup QB in because they are going to bring in a developmental prospect. I think they pick a QB in round one and trade back in round 2 to acquire a 4th round and a 7th round pick.

I think all signs are pointing to a QB in round 1 or 2. Tyrod is essentially on a 1 year bridge QB deal. I don't think Cardale has shown enough to be seen as a franchise QB. They have not brought a veteran backup QB in because they are going to bring in a developmental prospect. I think they pick a QB in round one and trade back in round 2 to acquire a 4th round and a 7th round pick.

.....2 cents for what it's worth....sign Chase Daniel and let him compete for starting job (why not? plenty of TT detractors here).....trade down as deep as possibly looking for an extra 1st in 2018 (maybe a 2017 2nd?)....I don 't get to see college ball, but many here seem to say the 2018 QB class is far superior......use a 2nd in 2017 to draft a QB, so you'd go into camp with TT, Daniel, draft pick and Cardale Whatchamacallit (based on his prolific collegiate career, Rome was built sooner than grooming this guy).....

I love the sarcasm guys, keep it going.

I know the topic has been talked about, and that the front office has some what of a plan. But before FA even started everyone pretty much said that the Bills would bring in a veteran QB. Almoat a month into it we haven't even interviewed 1 single QB. Just wondering why?

I love the sarcasm guys, keep it going.

I know the topic has been talked about, and that the front office has some what of a plan. But before FA even started everyone pretty much said that the Bills would bring in a veteran QB. Almoat a month into it we haven't even interviewed 1 single QB. Just wondering why?

I think simply because there is no need right now.

.....2 cents for what it's worth....sign Chase Daniel and let him compete for starting job (why not? plenty of TT detractors here).....trade down as deep as possibly looking for an extra 1st in 2018 (maybe a 2017 2nd?)....I don 't get to see college ball, but many here seem to say the 2018 QB class is far superior......use a 2nd in 2017 to draft a QB, so you'd go into camp with TT, Daniel, draft pick and Cardale Whatchamacallit (based on his prolific collegiate career, Rome was built sooner than grooming this guy).....

I actually really like Tyrod. He is the perfect bridge Qb with the new contract. I would keep Tyrod for the next couple years, I think you can build a competitive playoff team with him as the starter. He should continue to start until someone beats him out. I don't think I could go back to watching an EJ/Losman/Edwards type of QB. I would prefer to draft a guy this year so he has a chance to beat out Tyrod next season. The 2018 class is way over hyped right now, their grades will come down when they actually start being evaluated. Darnold seems to be the real deal, but he is going to go with the 1st pick (and no one is going to trade that pick away). If I was running the team I would go Watson in round 1 or Kizer/Mahomes in round 2 (and yes Mahome will be there in round 2, he is way overrated on this board).

.he couldn't even throw a Blue Light can to the right customer as a beerman....seriously??........

Stop with the hyperbole. He would be one of the best backups in the league and 2 years ago, he would have thrown the second most td passes in Bills franchise history.

I think we see a vet backup. Still some decent options out there. I don't see us drafting a QB unless we can trade down and grab Mahommes at the end of the 1st or Peterman later (5th Rd.) I think we draft DB's, WR, OL and perhpas DL/LB depending on BPA.

Stop with the hyperbole. He would be one of the best backups in the league and 2 years ago, he would have thrown the second most td passes in Bills franchise history.

...yer sir...he was nominated for Pope but Francis beat him out by a whisker.......seriously?.......where is your vaunted $12 million dollar extortionist signed now?.....

I'm OK with a QB at any pick of the draft. More likely, it'll be with our 5th, 5th, or 6th round pick. Evans, Dobbs, and Kelly make sense in those rounds.

Regardless of whether or not we draft a QB at all, signing Fitzpatrick as QB2 would be a great move. Top-end QB2 in this league. Never know when you need a guy to step up and string a couple wins together. Fear the beard.