Malik Hooker had two surgeries = no combine, 4-6 months

YoloinOhio

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hooker is a beast, he could develop into a game wrecker. Ed Reed type of instincts out there. Good luck to him and I'd still take him at 10. This year is a wash anyways with a new coach and this is the high ceiling player you can wait for.

huge fan of this player but he is a bit raw. I actually think that with AW planning to return though, he's a great pick for the Bills. He can get into the mix with AW and Graham assuming they both are back and will likely be starting for one of them sooner or later, but doesn't need to step in day 1. He needs to work on his technique and on field discipline. Talent is freakish. That reminds me- do we have a DB coach yet?

huge fan of this player but he is a bit raw. I actually think that with AW planning to return though, he's a great pick for the Bills. He can get into the mix with AW and Graham assuming they both are back and will likely be starting for one of them sooner or later, but doesn't need to step in day 1. He needs to work on his technique and on field discipline. Talent is freakish. That reminds me- do we have a DB coach yet?

I agree with all of it above, I don't think we have a DB coach. Tim McDonald was let go yesterday.

The question for me is, does he fall into the second round. If he does It could be an opportunity we might not have had otherwise. Get the big WR or QB in round 1 , and Hooker with our second pick.

They are projecting now between 10-17. I doubt that he would have been there at 10 otherwise. He's supposed to be ready by camp but we know how that goes. I don't see any chance of him being there in the 2nd round. He's a top 5 talent in this draft. If he slips a little someone is going to jump on him because of the value. How about Tennessee at 15? They could walk out of the 1st with Mike Williams and Malik Hooker as an example.

The question for me is, does he fall into the second round. If he does It could be an opportunity we might not have had otherwise. Get the big WR or QB in round 1 , and Hooker with our second pick.

No chance, IMO. The kid was widely considered a top 10 pick a day ago, and should be ready to go by TC. This is not a Myles Jack type situation.

He may not agree. Tough break for the kid.

This

Well, this is setting up nicely for a very Billsy type draft.

Whaley has to be in love with the idea of drafting this guy now! He loves broken football players.

and this.

Hooker has to know that injury debacle has just put him at the top of whaleys draft board. Dougie loves injured prospects :lol::lol:

so he had the same surgery that lawson had? the labrum surgery? and more than 3 months before lawson? if we go by lawsons time who had it may 17 and was back 10-23 that means hooker will be ready early to mid july latest. plenty of time for tc. you can bet he's gonna have a pre draft medical exam and i'd expect that to push him back to where he is slotted. i doubt this hurts his draft actually.

so he had the same surgery that lawson had? the labrum surgery? and more than 3 months before lawson? if we go by lawsons time who had it may 17 and was back 10-23 that means hooker will be ready early to mid july latest. plenty of time for tc. you can bet he's gonna have a pre draft medical exam and i'd expect that to push him back to where he is slotted. i doubt this hurts his draft actually.

both were labrum related but I'm not sure how much of a tear Hooker had. Not a peep of him being injured all year. Wonder when it happened.

both were labrum related but I'm not sure how much of a tear Hooker had. Not a peep of him being injured all year. Wonder when it happened.

shaq had the tear like his freshman year or something right? then just finally had the surgery after the draft.

firechan...i'll give you shaq in that his agent should have told him to have the surgery right after the season. but sammy was not injured until after he played for us.

I have to disagree. This response is simply too level-headed for a message board. You must be wrong.

@nfldraftscout

Malik Hooker had surgery Tuesday on a torn labrum and a hernia that he played through late this season. He will miss the Combine.

@nfldraftscout

Pretty impressive Hooker played through those injuries against Michigan and Clemson and still looked like a top 10 player.

shaq had the tear like his freshman year or something right? then just finally had the surgery after the draft.

firechan...i'll give you shaq in that his agent should have told him to have the surgery right after the season. but sammy was not injured until after he played for us.

Sammy was "reported" to be fine for TC in 2016. He wasn't.

Shaq was "reported" to be fine after we drafted him. He wasn't.

Labrum and hernia surgeries and will be 4-6 months recovery. Will not participate in combine or early OTAs. Should be ready for camp and not considered threatening to his rookie season. He may drop regardless.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill

He's still going to go first round. Like Shaq last year...potential top 10 guy that might slide to middle of first or so, maybe high teens. Seriously doubt he drops further than that. Maybe we can trade down a few slots and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd and grab him though. Would love that if it happened

Labrum and hernia injuries are wear and tear injuries.

Much like MLB teams have to be wary about drafting pitchers with worn out arms that require almost immediate TJS, it looks like NFL teams have to pay more attention to these players who have played so much football in high school and college that by the time the pros roll around, they are already needing maintenance and repair surgeries before they take the field as a professional.

There is a difference between the Hooker and Lawson surgeries IMO. Lawson chose not to get the surgery immediately whereas Hooker did. I think that's a smart move.

Edited by dpberr

Labrum and hernia injuries are wear and tear injuries.

Much like MLB teams have to be wary about drafting pitchers with worn out arms that require almost immediate TJS, it looks like NFL teams have to pay more attention to these players who have played so much football in high school and college that by the time the pros roll around, they are already needing maintenance and repair surgeries before they take the field as a professional.

There is a difference between the Hooker and Lawson surgeries IMO. Lawson chose not to get the surgery immediately whereas Hooker did. I think that's a smart move.

Hooker only played one season of CFB though - is that more concerning? He played very little last year as a backup and redshirted as a freshman.

Hooker only played one season of CFB though - is that more concerning? He played very little last year as a backup and redshirted as a freshman.

Not to me, I have seen enough. I had seen enough by week 3. The guy has those Honey Badger instincts and Ed Reed range "and you can't teach that."

Not to me, I have seen enough. I had seen enough by week 3. The guy has those Honey Badger instincts and Ed Reed range "and you can't teach that."

not in terms of projected performance but in terms of the poster who said these are "wear and tear" injuries typical of players who have played a lot of CFB.

not in terms of projected performance but in terms of the poster who said these are "wear and tear" injuries typical of players who have played a lot of CFB.

Oh yeah, he didn't play much high school football even. He was a basketball player. I think that he only played 2 years of HS football.

They are projecting now between 10-17. I doubt that he would have been there at 10 otherwise. He's supposed to be ready by camp but we know how that goes. I don't see any chance of him being there in the 2nd round. He's a top 5 talent in this draft. If he slips a little someone is going to jump on him because of the value. How about Tennessee at 15? They could walk out of the 1st with Mike Williams and Malik Hooker as an example.

One can dream.

If he were to make it to the back end of round 1 he becomes a trade up candidate is my point. It would be hard for me to pull the trigger on him with a Top 10 pick given the circumstances of the injury. I suspect some teams will feel that way as well. And, a fall to second half of the round. Of course, the question is how far.

Edited by horned dogs

If Hooker is there at 10 and the Bills don't take him, I'm going to pop a gasket.

He's one of the most exciting players I've seen in a long time. Reminds me of a defensive Randy Moss. He makes hard things look easy and just seems faster and smoother and more coordinated than everyone else on the field.

Would LOVE this guy - even if we have to write off the whole year to the injury, which doesn't appear to be the case.

Hooker is the next NFL star at the Safety position. These surgeries are just ensuring that he will be at full health for the team that picks him going into TC. He's a ball hawk who can cover the whole back end of the field. If he had been able to go to the combine his numbers would have been dazzling imo. I hate Ohio St., trust me, but watching this guy in the 5 games I did see he always stood out. Definitely reminds me of Ed Reed. If he is there at 10 we should make that selection.