Your 2017 QB will be.... Jay Cutler.

FireChan

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then 2014 happened.

The main problem with Cutler as a passer has always been his inconsistency.......which is most likely tied to his 10 cent head.

Fitz had 31 TD's with Marshall and Decker last year.......why don't we ignore the fact that HE has been inconsistent and needs a cast of all-stars around him to put points on the board?

Like I said, it's not impossible but you are throwing out a WHOLE LOTTA' bad football trying to find the upside of Jay Cutler.

I get what you're saying, no doubt.

Cutty is still a whole different animal from Fitz. In fact, you put Fitz's brain in Cutty's body and you have the next Brett Favre, IMO.

Cutty's biggest problem is, as you said, mental. But I don't know how comfortable he's been made in Chicago these last few years. It's been regime change and lifelessness for the last 3-4 years and that weighs on somebody like him a lot more than a natural leader rah-rah type. He's done in Chicago (and has been for 3 years honestly) and i think you see that seep out on gameday.

There's not a lot of guys out there with his arm talent waiting around to sign somewhere. If I put together a mental list of QB's I could say, "Hey that guy with a change of scenery, new team, new WR's, anything could really happen," about, Cutler is #1 on my list. That's not saying a whole lot, sure. But it is something.

Cutty is still a whole different animal from Fitz. In fact, you put Fitz's brain in Cutty's body and you have the next Brett Favre, IMO.

Cutty's biggest problem is, as you said, mental. But I don't know how comfortable he's been made in Chicago these last few years. It's been regime change and lifelessness for the last 3-4 years and that weighs on somebody like him a lot more than a natural leader rah-rah type. He's done in Chicago (and has been for 3 years honestly) and i think you see that seep out on gameday.

There's not a lot of guys out there with his arm talent waiting around to sign somewhere. If I put together a mental list of QB's I could say, "Hey that guy with a change of scenery, new team, new WR's, anything could really happen," about, Cutler is #1 on my list. That's not saying a whole lot, sure. But it is something.

Not really true. Fitz's issue is not his body, it's his brain. He makes a staggering amount of bad decisions for any QB, let alone one with his educational pedigree. He's the same as Cutler, with less arm and more leadership ability. Both of them are highly undisciplined and stupid when it comes to passing footballs.

Not really true. Fitz's issue is not his body, it's his brain. He makes a staggering amount of bad decisions for any QB, let alone one with his educational pedigree. He's the same as Cutler, with less arm and more leadership ability. Both of them are highly undisciplined and stupid when it comes to passing footballs.

It's his brain yes, but his brain in that sense that he thinks he can make throws he can't. He thinks he can gun the ball in there and can't. With more arm strength, he could lower those mistakes by actually making some of the throws.

Agree on the leadership part, which is where the Favre comp comes in.

Doubtful, Dennison was Tyrod's QB coach in Baltimore and was reportedly the driving factor behind the Broncos' push for him last offseason

Denver was exploring a lot of alternatives at that time. They had lost Manning, Osweiler. All they had was Zac Dysert their 3rd stringer.

Maybe if Tyrod re-negotiates his contract.

I don't see Dennison overruling McDermott or Whaley on Tyrod. Equally, I don't think they spend the money on Cutler as a bridge guy. For a bridge he'd be very expensive, which is a lot of the reason we're cutting Tyrod, apparently.

Edited by Thurman#1

How does a defensive coach become a WR coach?

How does a defensive coach become a WR coach?

How does a defensive back/player DC become a head coach and revolutionize NFL offenses? Won so much and changed NFL offenses so much he was put into HOF one year after he was fired after 29 seasons, 20 straight winning seasons, and 2 Lombardis?

I'm not saying Dennison is going to be the next Tom Landry, but this idea that a guy can only play/coach 1 position is silly IMHO.

If you know football, you know football.

Edited by reddogblitz

I expect a deal to be done or a pursuit of Cutty as an FA if he's cut this offeseason. Why?

Kromer Connection - NIXED Now why would we let go of an OL coach who performed admirably with his unit this year, if not to clear the way because he was somehow an obstacle? Kromer's resume dictated a very serious consideration of retaining him.

Dennison Medicine - Look at this man's track record with Cutler. Put him in the Pro Bowl with the #2 offense in the NFL in 2008. Along with these quotes:

Cutler was not shy in his praise for Dennison earlier in the week on his radio show, saying (h/t Chicago Sun-Times): One of the best coaches I’ve been around. Very dedicated, extremely hard worker. Takes it very personally. I think he’s gifted in his game-­planning.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1482046-chicago-bears-is-rick-dennison-the-perfect-candidate-to-help-jay-cutler

I mean, can't you just feel the Cutty fever?

In reality, it makes perfect sense. Cutty ain't commanding a big long term salary anymore. Perfect vet stop gap while we draft/develop guys with none of the TT long term baggage.

You're welcome.

is this you Leroi ??

I expect a deal to be done or a pursuit of Cutty as an FA if he's cut this offeseason. Why?

Kromer Connection - NIXED Now why would we let go of an OL coach who performed admirably with his unit this year, if not to clear the way because he was somehow an obstacle? Kromer's resume dictated a very serious consideration of retaining him.

Dennison Medicine - Look at this man's track record with Cutler. Put him in the Pro Bowl with the #2 offense in the NFL in 2008. Along with these quotes:

Cutler was not shy in his praise for Dennison earlier in the week on his radio show, saying (h/t Chicago Sun-Times): One of the best coaches I’ve been around. Very dedicated, extremely hard worker. Takes it very personally. I think he’s gifted in his game-­planning.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1482046-chicago-bears-is-rick-dennison-the-perfect-candidate-to-help-jay-cutler

In reality, it makes perfect sense. Cutty ain't commanding a big long term salary anymore. Perfect vet stop gap while we draft/develop guys with none of the TT long term baggage.

You're welcome.

Actually, I am pretty sure this means Taylor will be our QB. Sorry, get used to pissing and moaning about Taylor at least another year.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Actually, I am pretty sure this means Taylor will be our QB. Sorry, get used to pissing and moaning about Taylor at least another year.

Yeah yeah and CJ Spiller is gonna be great, forgive me for taking your opinion with a boulder of salt.

Denver was exploring a lot of alternatives at that time. They had lost Manning, Osweiler. All they had was Zac Dysert their 3rd stringer.

Maybe if Tyrod re-negotiates his contract.

I don't see Dennison overruling McDermott or Whaley on Tyrod. Equally, I don't think they spend the money on Cutler as a bridge guy. For a bridge he'd be very expensive, which is a lot of the reason we're cutting Tyrod, apparently.

They were looking at TT prior to Manning's and Osweiler's last season.

How does a defensive back/player DC become a head coach and revolutionize NFL offenses? Won so much and changed NFL offenses so much he was put into HOF one year after he was fired after 29 seasons, 20 straight winning seasons, and 2 Lombardis?

I'm not saying Dennison is going to be the next Tom Landry, but this idea that a guy can only play/coach 1 position is silly IMHO.

If you know football, you know football.

Yup.

Doubtful, Dennison was Tyrod's QB coach in Baltimore and was reportedly the driving factor behind the Broncos' push for him last offseason

I like this explanation better. I think TT still has upside that hasn't been reached yet.

There's really no option out there that makes more sense in the near-term without blowing up the team... if we went into a full re-build, we'd lose nearly all of our free agents, plus probably Kyle, Dareus, Hughes and Shady don't make much sense to keep, plus probably would alienate Sammy as we'll have wasted at least the first half of his career...

Judging by the pics his wife posted, Cutler's body is not "all that" any more and he's coming off an injury.

When a guy is 33, 34 years old, you can't assume that any problems he's had in the last 3 years are due to scheme or team or coaching issues. He could just be hitting a wall with cumulative injuries catching up to him.

Rare QB like Manning, Brees, and Brady manage to keep going. Schaub flamed out at age 31, Garrard at 32, Orton left the game at 32 but maybe he knew something about himself, bunch more.

If the Bills are serious about wanting to build for the future, Cutler is not the QB block for their building.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Judging by the pics his wife posted, Cutler's body is not "all that" any more and he's coming off an injury.

When a guy is 33, 34 years old, you can't assume that any problems he's had in the last 3 years are due to scheme or team or coaching issues. He could just be hitting a wall with cumulative injuries catching up to him.

Rare QB like Manning, Brees, and Brady manage to keep going. Schaub flamed out at age 31, Garrard at 32, Orton left the game at 32 but maybe he knew something about himself, bunch more.

If the Bills are serious about wanting to build for the future, Cutler is not the QB block for their building.

Great points. Pretty much debunks anything regarding him being part of the future doesn't it!

Trading up to get a franchise qb is bad ?

7-9 forever is better ?

Yes. It's still early in the process but per draft pundits there's no franchise qbs in the draft. So yeah the Bills should not trade the 1st pick to move up a few spots and give up the 2018 1st Rd pick and a 4th Rd pick to boot. If they draft a qb with an existing pick, I'm good with that. They have too many holes to give up picks plus it's just too costly. Edited by DCbillsfan

You're welcome.

You could be right. As long as we can get him for very cheap, I wouldn't totally hate it I guess.

Would still much rather keep Taylor.

You're welcome.

2008, just a short 9 years ago.

I'm in the minority here, but I'd take Cutler over TT for the next couple years as a bridge until the next franchise QB is found in the draft(or Cardale). I know he will make more mistakes, but is also going to make way more plays with his arm. I'm sick of having a QB who won't throw the ball in under 3 seconds and won't throw the ball into tight coverage(trusting himself and his WR's).

I'm in the minority here, but I'd take Cutler over TT for the next couple years as a bridge until the next franchise QB is found in the draft(or Cardale). I know he will make more mistakes, but is also going to make way more plays with his arm. I'm sick of having a QB who won't throw the ball in under 3 seconds and won't throw the ball into tight coverage(trusting himself and his WR's).

He'd also project an I don't give a **** attitude that's devoid of any leadership that will infect the team. Nope! Nein Danke! Nyet! NFW!

Trading up to get a franchise qb is bad ?

7-9 forever is better ?

Just a refresher for people here:

This offseason the Bills will very possibly lose to FA or release:

EJ Manuel

Stephon Gilmore

Eric Wood (increased likelihood since Groy fits the Kubiak offense better)

Which would mean that the Bills would have exactly THREE of their first round picks left on the roster to show for the last 17 years of non playoff seasons:

Marcel Dareus

Sammy Watkins

Shaq Lawson

That sure ain't much considering that a QB they passed on at the beginning of the drought......Drew Brees.....is still slinging it. :lol:

So anyone who thinks that taking repeated chances on QB's in round one is risky business really needs to look at the bigger picture provided by a Bills team that HAS NOT taken many shots at QB's in round 1.

The first round isn't for patching holes.......and if you aren't going to take a QB you really need to spend that pick wisely........but QB's you gotta' gamble on talent......the returns both on a game-to-game basis and LONG term are so much greater it's ridiculous not to take many shots, IMO.