Childress & Olson Both Reported as Out for Bills' OC

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Childress isn't as flashy as McCoy, but he's a solid hire. He has a LOT of experience in various positions and hasn't really had a big fail (outside of his last season as HC of the Vikes). I lived around Philly during his time there and saw the development of McNabb. I'd be confident that whatever QB we end up with will be getting solid developmental coaching.

Olson would be terrible. We'd be another team he'd be fired from.

Childress I'd like which probably means we're running a west coast scheme. Not sure Tyrod's strengths are a good fit for that offense though.

He can work in a West Coast, and I'm sure he'll tell them as much. The question will be whether the staff thinks he can.

The hire will not be about Tyrod but about developing a QB we draft in 2017 or 2018.

I would prefer youth and getting someone on their way up but McDermott seems to be favoring experience.

If they need time to develop someone they draft in 2018 it's unlikely they are around long enough to see how that turns out. Need a short term answer too.....WHO? The gazillion dollar question!

If they need time to develop someone they draft in 2018 it's unlikely they are around long enough to see how that turns out. Need a short term answer too.....WHO? The gazillion dollar question!

Good QBs play early now. We are going to get someone in the draft that is not a project like Cardale.

I wouldn't assume the Bills are on the same schedule they were on with Rex. I tend to think there will be a reset.

Olson would be terrible. We'd be another team he'd be fired from.

Childress I'd like which probably means we're running a west coast scheme. Not sure Tyrod's strengths are a good fit for that offense though.

What are you talking about? In 10 seasons he actually had two seasons where is team won more than 5 games!!!

Olson has pretty much just kicked around the drain in the NFL.

Rams, Jags, Raiders, Lions. Fired from all of them.

Id be pretty uninspired if hes who we're high on.

"There's two kinds of coaches. Them that's fired and them that's gonna get fired." ~ Bum Phillips

Here's how the NFL typically works. A team is under-performing. The GM and FO can either blame themselves for not getting enough good players for the roster, or they can blame the coaches. So, of course, the coaches get fired.

Pete Carroll was once fired from his position as DB coach of the Bills. He was later fired from HC positions with both the Jets and Pats. That track record of getting fired didn't stop Seattle from hiring him.

Marv Levy was fired from Cal, William & Mary, and Kansas City. Bill Belichick was fired from the Browns.

Good coaches are fired all the time. I'm not saying Olsen is a good coach. But he's thought highly enough in the NFL that he keeps getting OC gigs.

Edited by hondo in seattle

If it were Olson it would be a done deal already. McDermott really wants Childress I bet and Andy has already given his blessing. I would be okay with Olson as QB coach. I would be better with Greg Olsen at TE........

So.... Childress would be making a lateral move? Hmmmm

Not really-- he's a co-offensive coordinator right now...he would have the title exclusively.

Good QBs play early now. We are going to get someone in the draft that is not a project like Cardale.

I wouldn't assume the Bills are on the same schedule they were on with Rex. I tend to think there will be a reset.

Good QBs play good early now is like saying the winning powerball numbers produce millions. The problem is finding that good qb and not another EJ or Trent or JP.

If it were Olson it would be a done deal already. McDermott really wants Childress I bet and Andy has already given his blessing. I would be okay with Olson as QB coach. I would be better with Greg Olsen at TE........

Not really-- he's a co-offensive coordinator right now...he would have the title exclusively.

Spread game Coordtinator, very interesting! I've wanted to us to spread the field more and add another reciever like Mi.Williams. I have hope.

Good QBs play good early now is like saying the winning powerball numbers produce millions. The problem is finding that good qb and not another EJ or Trent or JP.

It's not as hard as the Bills make it. You have to prioritize the position. I also don't want Doug Whaley making the call. We need a QB guru to assist him.

Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, and Dak Prescott have all been there for Buffalo. Just last year Bills didn't get Prescott because they spent 3 picks on a linebacker.

It's not as hard as the Bills make it. You have to prioritize the position. I also don't want Doug Whaley making the call. We need a QB guru to assist him.

Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, and Dak Prescott have all been there for Buffalo. Just last year Bills didn't get Prescott because they spent 3 picks on a linebacker.

I agree that it shouldnt be that hard but the fact of the matter is that the bills have proven it is.

He also is not really in charge of the offense. Reid is, and maintains play calling responsibilities. The Bills could offer him an Asst. HC/OC title and more money I bet. Depends on if he still has any aspirations, or is content with staying where he is. Also, I think it is smart that McD is looking bringing in experienced people, with HC experience on their resumes. Invaluable it seems to me for a first time HC to have that experience to lean on. Edited by MDFan

I agree that it shouldnt be that hard but the fact of the matter is that the bills have proven it is.

The reason why it is hard for the Bills is they don't spend enough resources on the position. We also need to get Terry Pegula to bring in a QB czar. Pay the best QB scout in the NFL 2 million a year to help us draft and develop someone. Bills have only drafted 2 QB's in the top 2 rounds in TWENTY YEARS. That is gross negligence and I would like it to end now.

https://theringer.com/nfl-spread-offense-quarterbacks-72148a036561#.nzutbcsha

This is interesting relating to alot of what is talked about on this board. Check i out. Quotes from Childress. I personally would love it if we got a receiver like Mike Williams and another in FA to put with Watkins, and attack more. I think Shady would find lots of gaps.

The Bills and multiple other franchises,have proven it's harder than you seem to think it is.

And just because a QB has had success somewhere,does not mean that they would have success somewhere else. I.E. stop assuming Dak would have been as successful here as he was in Dallas.

@RapSheet

If #Chiefs lose, co-OC Brad Childress could be coaching his last game in KC. Sources say he’s a top target for #Bills OC, as is Greg Olson.

Would welcome Childress. He did a nice job here in Philly. Childress + Juan + Our Current State O - Line = Even Better Shady.

I'd prefer an alternate #2 instead of Olson

Edited by BillsinChesterSprings

The Bills and multiple other franchises,have proven it's harder than you seem to think it is.

And just because a QB has had success somewhere,does not mean that they would have success somewhere else. I.E. stop assuming Dak would have been as successful here as he was in Dallas.

Dak would have looked great here. Sorry, Bills messed up. He's not just a product of the system.

Dak would have looked great here. Sorry, Bills messed up. He's not just a product of the system.

He has played behind the best pass blocking line in the league in a conservative system where he has been asked to manage games. He's done it really well. He is in the absolutely perfect situation as well. It's not one or the other, it's both. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I'm not saying he is, I'm saying that he wouldn't have necessarily succeeded here in Buffalo. Or do you think Roman, and Lynn, could have schemed for Lynn as well as Garrett and Linehan. Or perhaps you think David Lee is a better coach then Wade Wilson. If it's not that maybe you like Charles Clay better than Jason Witten? Or do you think Sammy Watkins is better than Dez Bryant? Don't get me started on how much better the cowboys line is at passblocking either. Edited by mob16151