Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

I thought he was the best candidate we interviewed. Like that he is a very experienced coordinator, like that he is a worker, like that he is not trying to make headlines. He was 2nd on my list of candidates last year after McDaniels and I think had Carolina not gone to the Superbowl he'd have got a HC job then.

My one question - is he a natural leader? I hope so.

Like they had no chance of getting a candidate like McDermott.

I am still fine with Lynn staying.

Who didn't think they could get McDermott?

He was lucky to get looks after some of the choke jobs by that D this past season and the arrogance they showed in cutting loose Josh Norman from his franchise tag because they said McDermott's system was what made Norman look good. :lol:

McDermott could have easily become cold product and viewed as just a career DC if he didn't get this chance.

He was lucky to get looks after some of the choke jobs by that D this past season and the arrogance they showed in cutting loose Josh Norman from his franchise tag because they said McDermott's system was what made Norman look good. :lol:

McDermott could have easily become cold product and viewed as just a career DC if he didn't get this chance.

Cant base a coaching hire over one season.....

He has had top 10 defenses in 4 of the last 5 years and has actually been to a super bowl in a recent time frame

Comparatively speaking? RR didnt do either

I like McDermott...I've been in the Carolina's for the better part of the past 25 years...The Bills could do a lot worse...

I like him better than Lynn at least... B-)

Well, unlike the hiring of Rex Ryan, I don't immediately disagree with the move. I knew instantly that Ryan would fail, but I will clearly reserve judgment on the new hire.

My biggest concern will be the quality and experience of his coaching staff he hires.

I hope he succeeds.

p.s. Why do all these head coaching candidates get (a minimum) 5 year contracts? Pegula can piss away all the money he wants, but I would feel that a three year contract would be a better choice. I know why the candidate wants a long contract, but why would the owner bet on an unproven entity for five years?

Or the field were taking a more reasoned approach looking at his overall track record, realizing that a defense doesn't hinge on one player ( as if Norman led the Redskins to a playoff berth even with a very productive offense) and that the entire Panthers team imploded.

Well, unlike the hiring of Rex Ryan, I don't immediately disagree with the move. I knew instantly that Ryan would fail, but I will clearly reserve judgment on the new hire.

My biggest concern will be the quality and experience of his coaching staff he hires.

I hope he succeeds.

p.s. Why do all these head coaching candidates get (a minimum) 5 year contracts? Pegula can piss away all the money he wants, but I would feel that a three year contract would be a better choice. I know why the candidate wants a long contract, but why would the owner bet on an unproven entity for five years?

Coaches want stability too. Why go somewhere that you could be shown the door in just two years (as most teams would have no problem eating one year of a deal) and possibly not get another look as a HC. It's so easy to change coaches- much easier than getting new players.