Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

If our Safety situation was better; it might be easier to let him walk since you could scheme your way around it. With us, you almost certainly have to let Tyrod walk to sign Gilmore and I think that is a trade off I would make...

Darby, Robey-Coleman, Listenbee, Meeks, Williams, Graham just does nothing for me...I feel it's better if you add Hooker/Adams/Peppers, but I would feel really good with Gilmore tossed in there...

I don't get why your assuming we can't keep both. Even without a Tyrod restructure, we have $25 million now. Carp and Graham are easy cuts for another 6. Even with using the franchise tag, following the increase rate a CB is $14.2. After draft rookie deals, we are looking at $10.2 M in cap space. That's enough to sign one or two journeymen to plug holes and tag your RFA's and still have some extra even before you start renegotiating or thinking about hard cuts.

You can easily reduce Gilmore's hit my giving him a bridge with phantom years like the Jets with Fitz and the Eagles with Bradford.

Tyrod might want to renegotiate if he wants any security after this year.

There are ways to make it work.

Not sure if this is good or bad. On one hand you got the HC picking who does what. On the other hand you got the HC in charge of more people taking away from coaching players.

The head coach should be more like a CEO than a division manager. Beyond setting the tone, the philosophy, and implementing his rules, regs, goals, the coaching should be done by the assistants. All those support services should be under the HC if he's going to be held accountable for the outcome.

I don't get why your assuming we can't keep both. Even without a Tyrod restructure, we have $25 million now. Carp and Graham are easy cuts for another 6. Even with using the franchise tag, following the increase rate a CB is $14.2. After draft rookie deals, we are looking at $10.2 M in cap space. That's enough to sign one or two journeymen to plug holes and tag your RFA's and still have some extra even before you start renegotiating or thinking about hard cuts.

You can easily reduce Gilmore's hit my giving him a bridge with phantom years like the Jets with Fitz and the Eagles with Bradford.

Tyrod might want to renegotiate if he wants any security after this year.

There are ways to make it work.

We have 23 players as free agents - Sammy is the only WR under contract btw (I believe there is one more but it is like Dez Lewis or something). $10.2 million in cap space is not going to get it done and to have enough for the draft class. Fine cut Kyle and Graham and Carp to save some $$; how do you replace both starting safeties and a starting DT; Kicker is the exception...We will have to run the veer next year as an offensive scheme.

With the roster and the way it was constructed; there is no way you kick this can down the road and creating dead cap space. That has worked great for the Saints with Brees, no way we should be that foolish with TT, who is not a good QB. This team is no where near talented enough to win a SB right now as constructed to be bale to justify going all in and pushing everything to the middle of the table. It is irresponsible actually...

Edited by Reed83HOF

I will be less enthusiastic about McDermott if McCoy is not part of the package. I assume that McDermott has other OC options in mind. Wonder who they might be.

I agree. I'd be looking at them as a package deal right now if I were the Bills brass. No McCoy would take a lot of the sheen off this

If our Safety situation was better; it might be easier to let him walk since you could scheme your way around it. With us, you almost certainly have to let Tyrod walk to sign Gilmore and I think that is a trade off I would make...

Darby, Robey-Coleman, Listenbee, Meeks, Williams, Graham just does nothing for me...I feel it's better if you add Hooker/Adams/Peppers, but I would feel really good with Gilmore tossed in there...

Jabrill Peppers instantly upgrades the entire defense.

We have 23 players as free agents - Sammy is the only WR under contract btw (I believe there is one more but it is like Dez Lewis or something). $10.2 million in cap space is not going to get it done and to have enough for the draft class. Fine cut Kyle and Graham and Carp to save some $$; how do you replace both starting safeties and a starting DT; Kicker is the exception...We will have to run the veer next year as an offensive scheme.

With the roster and the way it was constructed; there is no way you kick this can down the road and creating dead cap space. That has worked great for the Saints with Brees, no way we should be that foolish with TT, who is not a good QB. This team is no where near talented enough to win a SB right now as constructed to be bale to justify going all in and pushing everything to the middle of the table. It is irresponsible actually...

If you think Graham is good enough at safety, I don't know what to tell you.

The way I see it, we need 2 S and 2 WR, maybe a LB to fill in the gaps. Whaley has had a lot of luck picking people playing beyond their contract there.

Decent journeymen at WR and S tend to go for $6 a year now. So get one with the cap space I mentioned and use the rest on RFA or UDFA for your depth. Then, come draft time take the best WR or safety at 10, whatever you don't get there in rounds 2 or 3 and pick up a later rounder of whatever you have journeymen for.

It's tight, but that gets you there without any restructures, and I haven't even mentioned tough potential cuts like Kyle or Wood.

Likely about those things you pointed out in the 2nd sentence as well as locking down key assistants.

Yeah, that seems to have become more important over the years. The HC candidates who have verbal commitments from good coordinators are the guys in demand.

I will be less enthusiastic about McDermott if McCoy is not part of the package. I assume that McDermott has other OC options in mind. Wonder who they might be.

What credible information do we have that McCoy is either in or out?

Everything I've seen - either way - is either pure speculation or really vague.

If you think Graham is good enough at safety, I don't know what to tell you.

The way I see it, we need 2 S and 2 WR, maybe a LB to fill in the gaps. Whaley has had a lot of luck picking people playing beyond their contract there.

Decent journeymen at WR and S tend to go for $6 a year now. So get one with the cap space I mentioned and use the rest on RFA or UDFA for your depth. Then, come draft time take the best WR or safety at 10, whatever you don't get there in rounds 2 or 3 and pick up a later rounder of whatever you have journeymen for.

It's tight, but that gets you there without any restructures, and I haven't even mentioned tough potential cuts like Kyle or Wood.

Graham isn't awful, but he is getting up there and honestly is our best one right now. Not sure you could dump him and upgrade, but he does look a lot better with Gilmore, Darby, Adams/Hooker/Peppers along side him. It also gives a you a pretty good overall secondary and you should be fine against most teams who aren't stocked with pass catchers. You can upgrade him the following year actually; I don't see how you could do it all at once.

Once you start doing what described, you really are drafting to fill holes and not staying close to BPA - you miss a lot of good players that way. You also start to mention the tough cuts like Kyle or Wood and how tight the cap space gets. Let me ask you this (not being a dick btw) how far does that get this team this year? How far does it get us next year? Is it worth it overall? Just remember we won 6-9 games with Kyle Orton, Kelly Holcumb, Fitz, Trent, JP etc...

Just saying you could cut TT lose, resign Gilmore, Keep Kyle and Wood, and still have $38 millionish to plug your gaps in FA (WR, LB, DT, OL, CB/S), draft BPA and go after the QB next year. It sets you up pretty nicely and gives you a ton of flexibility next offseason in regards to Kyle and Wood..