Bills Hire Sean McDermott as New Head Coach

I'm backing McDermott because he is now my team's coach. I was not inspired by the hire, nor was he my first or second choice of reasonable possibilities. It's hard not to like what you read about the guy, what other people think of him, his work ethic, etc.

But let me pose this question: How many Steve Tasker, over-achiever types, like he inarguably is, have eventually made great NFL coaches? Not saying there hasn't been any. But who comparably has become a great coach. The great coaches, to me, have almost always been the strong personality, bigger than you, Lombardi/Parcells/Bellichick/Pete Carroll leader of men types. Marv/Bill Walsh were the intellectual type. Just a question.

Since when does Belichick have a "strong personality, bigger than you"?

Guy is an amazing coach but he's dull as a door nail. IMO he's the guy who one mentions to counter your argument, not support it.

@jeannathomas

The Jaguars, Bills and Broncos all have new head coaches, and we've graded their decisions: http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/12/14223870/new-nfl-head-coach-hirings-2017-bills-broncos-sean-mcdermott-vance-joseph

Buffalo Bills hire Sean McDermott

McDermott has a well-earned reputation for being a coach who values relationships, between himself and the players and among the players themselves. It’s sounds like a new-agey way of calling him a players’ coach, but mostly what it means is that he’s a defensive coordinator who puts his players in the best position to succeed.

Unlike Rex Ryan and his brother Rob, who insisted that players conform to their system, McDermott builds a game plan based on his players. What a revolutionary concept.

He’s the antithesis of Rex Ryan.

Recognizing that you win football games with “Jimmys and Joes not Xs and Os” is a big step forward for getting the Bills back to the playoffs, a promise Ryan made but couldn’t deliver. But it will take more than putting players in position to succeed. McDermott takes over a team with serious questions about who calls the shots in the front office and how that translates to the product on the field. Just look at the team’s handling of the Tyrod Taylor situation in the final week of the season, benching him for financial reasons without actually making the head coach a part of that decision.

Weirdly enough, the offense was working fine in Buffalo under OC and interim coach Anthony Lynn. McDermott’s success will in part hinge on who he picks to run the offense, and the team’s decision about Taylor’s future as the starting quarterback there.

Grade: A-

Since when does Belichick have a "strong personality, bigger than you"?

Guy is an amazing coach but he's dull as a door nail. IMO he's the guy who one mentions to counter your argument, not support it.

Just because he doesn't like speaking to the press doesn't mean he's not a strong personality. He dominates everything there. Players fear him.

breh. i am a !@#$in child. im not supposed to grow up yet.

Im a minority and some of my best friends are filipino. So that point is mute. Maybe yall need to grow up and not let **** thats not PC affect you on a message board

Technically mute points aren't supposed to be heard...

Just because he doesn't like speaking to the press doesn't mean he's not a strong personality. He dominates everything there. Players fear him.

I guess we just have differing opinions about what strong personality is. Being ruthless or cut throat doesn't mean one has a big personality, at least not in my book. Belichick dominates the room because of his success, not his personality.

I guess we just have differing opinions about what strong personality is. Being ruthless or cut throat doesn't mean one has a big personality, at least not in my book. Belichick dominates the room because of his success, not his personality.

Players "fear" him because of his success not personality and actions?

I'm backing McDermott because he is now my team's coach. I was not inspired by the hire, nor was he my first or second choice of reasonable possibilities. It's hard not to like what you read about the guy, what other people think of him, his work ethic, etc.

But let me pose this question: How many Steve Tasker, over-achiever types, like he inarguably is, have eventually made great NFL coaches? Not saying there hasn't been any. But who comparably has become a great coach. The great coaches, to me, have almost always been the strong personality, bigger than you, Lombardi/Parcells/Bellichick/Pete Carroll leader of men types. Marv/Bill Walsh were the intellectual type. Just a question.

When Belichick started he was seen as a hard working lifelong coach overacheiver. Belichick only gained his mystique once he started winning.

@JoeBuscaglia

Plenty to digest since yesterday, so here are my Top 5 questions for new #Bills HC Sean McDermott as he gets going: https://t.co/UoKcTbNvIN

sounds like either way, whichever decisions are made Joe B is prepared to argue the other side of each before he even knows the answers? Why is the first question, How will you get along with Whaley? They are just starting out on this working relationship, he's gonna say all the right things. Even though the questions were not posed to McD directly, Joe B is bein a dick asking the question IMO.

sounds like either way, whichever decisions are made Joe B is prepared to argue the other side of each before he even knows the answers? Why is the first question, How will you get along with Whaley? They are just starting out on this working relationship, he's gonna say all the right things. Even though the questions were not posed to McD directly, Joe B is bein a dick asking the question IMO.

Joe B is a crappy analyst.

This is possibly the smartest, most well thought out and insightful post I've read in my near 20 years on TSW...

I could not possibly agree more with this take!

Well said...Post of the Year caliber stuff man!!! :thumbsup:

One Bald Buffalo!!! B-)

You know,im not gonna lie, it took years of extensive research to post my analysis, but thanks for the compliment.

I'll keep em coming when i have time.

You go for the watermelon and fried chicken jokes too? Those are knee slappers.

Funny I made a **** load of fried chicken 2nite. Watermelons great to clean out the toxins. They both part of my normal diet.

Ey you might wanna check out CVS my girl told me they got maxi-pads on sale. Sounds like you might need a few.

@NewsRadio930

Sean McDermott: Jim Szoke @wbtradio says he's not Rex Ryan. He's definitely a leader and has respect of his players

@NewsRadio930

Jim Szoke.with @wbtradio on Sean McDermott: "good guy, great personality...easy-going" http://media.wben.com/a/118090504/what-to-expect-from-sean-ncdermott-wbt-s-jim-szoke.htm

Guys respect Belichick because his teams win all the time.

Great teams lose the occasional 35-20 game in the regular season all the time. NE loses a game like that once every 5 years.

IF they lose at all it's a 24-23 type game where they either just come up short or the other team scores right at the end.

So if he tells a player something who is going to argue? The system obviously works, so shut up and do your job and you get to win all the time, make tons of $$, be on prime time half the season, play in the playoffs and win Super Bowls.

Nobody is interested in why a player might not like his style/schemes/system. Leave then.

As much as I hate the Patriots winning all the time you have to admire that.

My hope is that we hit the lottery this time with a coach. You never know. I love everything I have heard so far.

Edited by TheFunPolice