EJ time! Starting vs Jets

KDIGGZ

I think that the book is closed on EJ but I wouldn't fall under the pretty respected poster category. He has a chance to latch on somewhere as a number 2 or 3. I don't think that his career is over but at the same time I don't think that anybody is considering him as a starter (or even in a competition).

This reason he is starting is because they don't want to force TT on the next coach. An injury in this game would do just that. The flexibility helps the Bills in the hiring process. Cardale just isn't ready to play. That leaves EJ as the guy.

Im looking foreward to seeing if he can throw some passes with touch. If he can read the defense. If he can hit Sammy downfield in stride.

Cant be THAT hard to do? Right?

Edited by Lex Lyon

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im looking foreward to seeing if he can throw some passes with touch. If he can read the defense. If he can hit Sammy downfield in stride.

Cant be THAT hard to do? Right?

If I were the Bills there is no chance that Sammy would play this week. He'd have his surgery tomorrow. Get a head start on getting it fixed. There's no upside to playing him.

I wouldn't play anyone of value this week though. The last thing that you need is a Jaylon Smith injury to McCoy for example. It isn't likely but there is no upside and only downside.

If I were the Bills there is no chance that Sammy would play this week. He'd have his surgery tomorrow. Get a head start on getting it fixed. There's no upside to playing him.

I wouldn't play anyone of value this week though. The last thing that you need is a Jaylon Smith injury to McCoy for example. It isn't likely but there is no upside and only downside.

I thought he was done with surgeries and just needed time to heal. He needs another surgery?

Agreed.

I was under the impression that he did but I could be wrong. I thought that it was one of those things that he couldn't do more damage to but needed to have fixed. Maybe I'm wrong

Either way that test should start yesterday so they can make the decisions on any hiccup as early as possible. Why even crack the door in him screwing it up or getting hurt some other way

Agreed.

Either way that test should start yesterday so they can make the decisions on any hiccup as early as possible. Why even crack the door in him screwing it up or getting hurt some other way

This might sound self-serving but I'd probably let all of the free agents play. They may help their cause with a big game (2.5 sacks for Alexander as an example). At the same time, it won't set your team back if something goes wrong. I'd just take a conservative approach to this game with nothing to gain.

Makes sense, i suppose

Everyone keeps saying Cardale is not ready, says who? The game is worthless and the Jets are horrible and the kid looked pretty good in preseason. So why not help EJ out with a free audition instead of seeing what we have in Cardale. This organization is so *^%#uped.

Everyone keeps saying Cardale is not ready, says who? The game is worthless and the Jets are horrible and the kid looked pretty good in preseason. So why not help EJ out with a free audition instead of seeing what we have in Cardale. This organization is so *^%#uped.

The people who watch him everyday in practice.

As an OSU fan I've seen every in game snap that he's taken since HS. I like him as a prospect but he was a long way from being ready at the time of the draft. 2 full years before I think that he should see the field. The reports have him a little ahead of that schedule which is good.

I bet the Bills are 100% sold on Tyrod already and they intend to pick up the option - and smile and celebrate while doing so. I happen to think if TT hits the market, he will make a lot more money than Buffalo is going to pay him. But that is just my opinion.

The most logical reasons to "not play him" this week are:

1) If he does get injured they are married to him because of cost - by being married to him for a few years it may limit which coaches would be willing to come to Buffalo - this is the overwhelming reason why they can't play him

2) they probably don't mind losing the game - better off playing a backup and hoping he is rusty

My bet is that they will get a coach to come in and sign. That coach will realize upon agreeing to the job here that Tyrod is his best option to build a playoff team right away. And he will agree to Whaley picking up the option on TT.

It all depends on who they decide on and/or can convince to become head coach here.

Chances for getting Tyrod back are very good in my opinion. But, you never know. A coach that wants a pure pocket passer may pass on Tyrod. A Bill Parcels type guy who adapts to his personnel would build a Superbowl team around TT. Don't know how many coaches out there are the Bill Parcels type that will adjust to the players rather than make the players try to fit their system. Perhaps we already have that guy - A Lynn. I don't know. If he is, then I bet he wins the job.

It seems contradictory to say that you believe the Bills are 100% sold on TT, yet they don't want to be "married" to him. I can't help but see this as indicating that the team is done with TT. If they are 100% sold on him, why would they be worried about an injury on Sunday? It really doesn't matter who the next coach is. It should be someone who can work with TT. There is no way we find an upgrade over TT going into week one 2017. If we let him walk we are left with nothing. I'm not a fan of any rookie QBs entering this draft so that plays a role in my option as well. I just fear this means he's done in Buffalo, and it doesn't make sense. We need to look for a QB upgrade, but we should keep him on the roster. We're not going to do better. I just don't think this looks positive for his future here. You don't just sit next seasons starter for the regular season finale. TT was all Rex. He has never been a Whaley guy. Now this is the Whaley show. I think that could mean there's a good chance TT goes.

It seems contradictory to say that you believe the Bills are 100% sold on TT, yet they don't want to be "married" to him. I can't help but see this as indicating that the team is done with TT. If they are 100% sold on him, why would they be worried about an injury on Sunday? It really doesn't matter who the next coach is. It should be someone who can work with TT. There is no way we find an upgrade over TT going into week one 2017. If we let him walk we are left with nothing. I'm not a fan of any rookie QBs entering this draft so that plays a role in my option as well. I just fear this means he's done in Buffalo, and it doesn't make sense. We need to look for a QB upgrade, but we should keep him on the roster. We're not going to do better. I just don't think this looks positive for his future here. You don't just sit next seasons starter for the regular season finale. TT was all Rex. He has never been a Whaley guy. Now this is the Whaley show. I think that could mean there's a good chance TT goes.

Maybe they are sold on Tyrod but want to see EJ one more time before his contract ends?

i think that his story is mostly written. you dont hand him the keys to the franchise off of one game. but if he has been practicing well, killing it in the film room and he comes out and shows well on the field i am ok with him being treated as a respected vet that you dont expect to start and seeing where things go from there.

Not poking at you but is a nice point to go off of. A lot of the Taylor supports are using the Miami game as a reason to extend him because he turned it on for one game. Yes there were other games in the season that he threw a lot on but this was the one that people are going to use as his "he has the potential" game.

I'm not sold on TT even though he was given more than twice the amount of games that EJ had but people are still holding out for him to be the answer.

On the other side I don't think EJ was really put into a good situation when he was drafted and still don't know what he is actually capable of. His book may be written in Buffalo but honestly don't think he has shown his potential.

I do think that 1 or both is going to be kept but depends on the contract for TT and what EJ wants to do (go to another team or possibly be a BU QB in buffalo).

It does matter who the coach is. And I am sure Whaley wants to keep his options open and wait to hear what his potential coaches have to say about who they want to be QB or at least what type of QB they want.

To Whaley, finding a good coach is more important than marrying yourself to Tyrod. I think that is a perfectly reasonable train of thought and I am a Tyrod fan.

I think people are reading way too much into the "Whaley likes EJ and might not really like Tyrod thing". Whaley isn't stupid. He watches the games too.

If you were to be out for a beer with Whaley and asked him who the better QB is, I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind he would tell you Tyrod.

Edited by PolishDave

Not poking at you but is a nice point to go off of. A lot of the Taylor supports are using the Miami game as a reason to extend him because he turned it on for one game. Yes there were other games in the season that he threw a lot on but this was the one that people are going to use as his "he has the potential" game.

I'm not sold on TT even though he was given more than twice the amount of games that EJ had but people are still holding out for him to be the answer.

On the other side I don't think EJ was really put into a good situation when he was drafted and still don't know what he is actually capable of. His book may be written in Buffalo but honestly don't think he has shown his potential.

I do think that 1 or both is going to be kept but depends on the contract for TT and what EJ wants to do (go to another team or possibly be a BU QB in buffalo).

No worries- I agree tyrod generally had better grooming and opportunities. The big worry I have is his extended college career, lots of NFL coaching and extensive playing now. At some point it isn't potential it's just an inconsistent player with a lot of raw talent but lacking the fundamentals to do it week in and week out

Maybe they are sold on Tyrod but want to see EJ one more time before his contract ends?

So if EJ lights it up, what do they do with that information? There no way you keep both EJ and TT. So if they're sold on TT you don't need to know anything about EJ. Plus one game against a Jets team who have mentally headed home tells us nothing.

No worries- I agree tyrod generally had better grooming and opportunities. The big worry I have is his extended college career, lots of NFL coaching and extensive playing now. At some point it isn't potential it's just an inconsistent player with a lot of raw talent but lacking the fundamentals to do it week in and week out

Can't argue with any of that. I still think that both TT and EJ lack the fundamentals week to week but TT is one of two (or both) things: less lacking the fundamentals or compensating his lack of them by running.

This might sound self-serving but I'd probably let all of the free agents play. They may help their cause with a big game (2.5 sacks for Alexander as an example). At the same time, it won't set your team back if something goes wrong. I'd just take a conservative approach to this game with nothing to gain.

There is also this: a loss would push the Bills up as much as ten draft spots. I'd like to see them start the UB defense this Sunday.

So if EJ lights it up, what do they do with that information? There no way you keep both EJ and TT. So if they're sold on TT you don't need to know anything about EJ. Plus one game against a Jets team who have mentally headed home tells us nothing.

Why wouldn't they keep both (assuming he lights it up)? A back-up QB is still a thing of need in the NFL. Especially when you have a running QB.

All this is is a going away present for EJ. Nothing more.

Why wouldn't they keep both (assuming he lights it up)? A back-up QB is still a thing of need in the NFL. Especially when you have a running QB.

I admittedly don't know a lot about the financial aspect of football. Wouldn't resigning EJ while also paying TT be more costly than signing a rookie QB or going with Cardale as number two? Honestly any rookie QB or cheap free agent wouldn't be that big of a downgrade from EJ.

I admittedly don't know a lot about the financial aspect of football. Wouldn't resigning EJ while also paying TT be more costly than signing a rookie QB or going with Cardale as number two? Honestly any rookie QB or cheap free agent wouldn't be that big of a downgrade from EJ.

It would be more costly (at least more than likely), but from the looks of the draft and the status of Jones doesn't leave me to believe that the downgrade would be less than significant.

Honestly even if the bills offer him a contract I don't expect him to stay anyways so it's not really worth discussing but wouldn't be against it if it happened for the right price.

Edited by The Wiz

Un-effing-believable. Tyrod Taylor, whatever his flaws, has had an objectively solid season and has played well lately. Manuel's contract is up and he is not as good as Taylor. Some here are no doubt looking forward to celebrating drafting 13th instead of 17th -- as if that will change things.

This is a pure money decision...

Yeah, what's up with that? I wasn't a fan of Hackenberg in his final year at PSU, but him not playing in this game makes zero sense. I really don't understand it. There is no reason to play Fitz.

@taylorrooks

If Hackenberg doesn't play Sunday...first QB drafted in first or second round since 2008 to not play a single snap as a rookie.

I repeat: second round picks are supposed to contribute.

@salsports

There you go. The risk of Taylor being injured and having to pay his guarantee was too great. But Rex was going to start him.

Rex was right.

How do you think Kyle Williams or Hughes or Gilmore or a host of others feel about the team risking an injury to them in a meaningless game? Either play it like a preseason game or play to win.

Rex was right.

How do you think Kyle Williams or Hughes or Gilmore or a host of others feel about the team risking an injury to them in a meaningless game? Either play it like a preseason game or play to win.

I don't disagree with the last line. I just lean towards preseason game. Only bad can come out of it. A loss gives better draft position and you don't risk major injury to anyone important moving forward. When I do the pros and cons, the pros of a preseason approach outweigh the cons for the franchise.

Rex was right.

My guess is they want to play. Most players want to play. If they don't, they are lazy.

Whaley should ask coach to sit them. But I think the players would want to play.

Edited by PolishDave

Rex was right.

I wonder if the players themselves will end up giving the same amount of effort that Mario did last year or Gilmore on that "tackle."