If Rex is fired, does a team hire him as DC?

YoloinOhio

He was a successful DC before becoming a HC and a pretty common pattern with HCs being fired is they go back into a coordinator role. I know he previously said this was his last stop. But he says a lot of things. I wonder if he would still want to coach to try to prove the "family name" and that the scheme works because he's so stubborn with it. And if he does, would another team want him?

That's an excellent coach. He has done nothing the last two years to help his rep as a defensive coach. But perhaps a team will say that if he just was to focus on defense he would be a good DC.

But he would be awesome on TV. I see him like Billick where he may be mentioned as head coaching candidate who never will get another serious look.

This two year tenure has shown me that the guy lacks any accountability...

1) not calling Seantrel Henderson-but saying he cares about players

2) not telling management about Clay

3) Side trips to Clemson and the world series

4) Hiring your brother

Individually no big deal but looking at the total package -- its a pattern too big to ignore -- there's always an excuse to take the path that takes away from the job. Once in a while I am fine -- but he's like a kid trying to push the Pegulas to fire him...

DC --not really...I think he might be a good T-ball coach if he has an assistant who can run 3/4 of the practices and coach 1/2 the games. Rex will handle all the press conferences.

Edited by JoeF

He was a successful DC before becoming a HC and a pretty common pattern with HCs being fired is they go back into a coordinator role. I know he previously said this was his last stop. But he says a lot of things. I wonder if he would still want to coach to try to prove the "family name" and that the scheme works because he's so stubborn with it. And if he does, would another team want him?

Dude are you shitting us here? The reason this is not a playoff team is because the DEFENSE SUCKS and he is responsible for breaking it. NIce troll job though.

Dude are you shitting us here? The reason this is not a playoff team is because the DEFENSE SUCKS and he is responsible for breaking it. NIce troll job though.

um I'm not talking about the Bills hiring him... why would you even think that? It says "another team". I gotta admit it's the second time ever I've been called a troll. The first time was when I said I thought Rex was a clown, when he was still with the Jets :lol:

Might want to actually read the post before attacking the poster.

Edited by YoloinOhio

If he is gone, I'd put the odds at: 5% another head coaching job this year. 10% he takes an assistant coach job of some kind. 25% he takes a year off. 60% he ends up broadcasting.

That's about right - it would be pretty surprising if he coached again in the next year or two.

Simply because his defenses have not been good in 4 years, and especially damning that the Bills D regressed badly since he took over, I suspect the league consensus is that the game has passed him by/his scheme doesn't work anymore.

Rob's going to have to find a college d/c job or maybe work as a position coach - his track record being even worse.

It's sad really - and especially believing that they were really determined this year to honor their father with a good performance. I certainly wanted it to work, but from the way I've seen the team NOT respond to his coaching and the overall lack of attention to detail that seems to be everywhere in his style, I agree with those who say he's just not a good enough coach/schemer anymore.

um I'm not talking about the Bills hiring him... why would you even think that? It says "another team". I gotta admit it's the second time ever I've been called a troll. The first time was when I said I thought Rex was a clown, when he was still with the Jets :lol:

You may want to read my reply again. Never did it say anything about me tninking he was being a coordinator for the Bills. My answer is still the same he broke a top 5 defense why shuld he be considered for a Coordinator job for any NFL team?

You may want to read my reply again. Never did it say anything about me tninking he was being a coordinator for the Bills. My answer is still the same he broke a top 5 defense why shuld he be considered for a Coordinator job for any NFL team?

so I'm a troll because I ask the question if anyone thought he'd be hired as a coordinator? A simple "no" would suffice. Many HCs are hired as coordinators after they are fired... even if their area of "expertise" in their HC role didn't go well. The idea is that they may be better as coordinators than HCs. He was a successful DC at one time. I realize his D didn't fulfill expectations here.. which is the whole reason I asked. Edited by YoloinOhio

HECK NO. I happen to think he does a reasonable (not good) job at "head coaching responsibilities". What is the problem w/ our team is that our defense is lacking. This is precisely his area of expertise and where we most critically need improvement. (One could argue that our passing offense is lacking, too, but IMO it is more than compensated for - largely by design, by minimizing turnovers and doing so well running the ball - We score a lot of points; we unfortunately let up a lot, too & are unable to stop teams at critical times.)

Personally, I'd keep him as a HC IF he dismissed the defensive braintrust (Thurman & that fat guy w/ long hair - what's his name? Rob something?) & let someone else bring in a new style/system of defense. But I seriously doubt that will happen.

Yep.

If Whaley is fired, he will resurface in the NFL helping some team with pro personnel, focusing on the defensive side.

IMO, if Whaley is fired he will be a GM elsewhere in the NFL, pick his own coach and succeed.

Nope. This should be the end of the line for both him and his brother. The game has passed him by, and who's gonna take a chance on Rob?

But then again, stranger things have happened.

Agreed Edited by Manther

so I'm a troll because I ask the question if anyone thought he'd be hired as a coordinator? A simple "no" would suffice. Many HCs are hired as coordinators after they are fired... even if their area of "expertise" in their HC role didn't go well. The idea is that they may be better as coordinators than HCs. He was a successful DC at one time. I realize his D didn't fulfill expectations here.. which is the whole reason I asked.

This is just so ludicrous. HCs are never hired as coordinators after unsuccessful HC gigs. It didn't happen for son of bum, or the Schwartz, or for Josh McDaniels*, or for Norv Turner, or for countless other coaches, so why would you even ask?! Sheesh. The nerve of some people.

This is just so ludicrous. HCs are never hired as coordinators after unsuccessful HC gigs. It didn't happen for son of bum, or the Schwartz, or for Josh McDaniels*, or for Norv Turner, or for countless other coaches, so why would you even ask?! Sheesh. The nerve of some people.

Kubiak... DelRio.. Crennel... Whisenhunt...

These guys just go around and around. Speaking of Schwartz, his defenses were not good in Detroit.

Edited by YoloinOhio

mike smith (atl/tb) says hi

Kubiak... DelRio.. Crennel... Whisenhunt...

These guys just go around and around. Speaking of Schwartz, his defenses were not good in Detroit.

I totally get your question and in my mind you missed the poster child: Wade Phillips. I think the difference is that Rex has too big of an ego/personality to take the step backwards.

I am not sure he can be a studio guy with that nasty neck scar. I know that sounds stupid but it is still TV and looks matter.

My guess is he ends up in college. I can't see him going back to being a DC. But as a HC of a bottom tier Power 5 team, I could see someone take a chance on him.