Revis: an option for Bills at...Safety?

KDIGGZ

Can he make the secondary calls? The coverage has been so execrable since Williams went out that I'm actually less concerned at this point with the safety knowing his job than I am with the safety making sure everyone else knows their job.

We've been kicking this idea around in a couple different threads for a while now.

I think it makes A LOT of sense, especially if the Jets go into the offseason as uncertain at QB as they are now.

If it looks like a rebuild the Jets have less incentive to painfully extend and renegotiate his deal and he has less reason to want to stay.

There are still 2 AFCE teams that Revis has yet to rip off for a year or two. Why not make out three?

Git 'er done Terry....

Revis didn't rip the Pats off.

That's the only SB they've won since 2004 and it's no coincidence that that was the year that Belicheck went all in on free agent corners that offseason.

The one thing we as Bills fans have to be thankful for regarding the Patriots is that post being punished for video-taping opponents they have failed to win SB's commensurate with their relative dominance.

Belichick giveth on the chalkboard but he also taketh away with his perculiar stands on personnel.

In fact, if their success timeline had begun after 2004, their single narrowly-achieved Lombardi in 11 seasons of dominance would be viewed in an Atlanta Braves-esque "unfulfilled dynasty" fashion.

Revis didn't rip the Pats off.

That's the only SB they've won since 2004 and it's no coincidence that that was the year that Belicheck went all in on free agent corners that offseason.

The one thing we as Bills fans have to be thankful for regarding the Patriots is that post being punished for video-taping opponents they have failed to win SB's commensurate with their relative dominance.

Belichick giveth on the chalkboard but he also taketh away with his perculiar stands on personnel.

In fact, if their success timeline had begun after 2004, their single narrowly-achieved Lombardi in 11 seasons of dominance would be viewed in an Atlanta Braves-esque "unfulfilled dynasty" fashion.

The pats went to 2 other SBs without Revis and lost neither because of not having him, nor did they win their last SB because of him.

Hey, it's great he has milked so much money out of GMs/owners--he's the maestro. CBs have been doing this for years and it's a testament to the follow of FOs.

The pats went to 2 other SBs without Revis and lost neither because of not having him, nor did they win their last SB because of him.

You mean those two SB's where Eli Manning and his cast...... Plaxico, Tyree and Manningham........rained on their parade with critical late game plays in the passing game?

The SB they won........they made that play at the end. Thanks in great part to Revis taking one side of the field away and fellow FA Browner identifying and jamming the combination route that allowed Butler to get in front of that pass.

So did anyone read the article where it said his likely salary to his next team would be league minimum based on the offsets in his contract with The Jets?

That's my favorite part of the scenario. Apparently, if the Jets were to cut Revis, we could sign him for the league minimum and the Jets would have to pay him the rest of the $6 million owed to him while he plays in a Bills uni. What an awesome possibility.

I don't know if Revis would be a good safety but the cost of the experiment would not be high.

Edited by hondo in seattle

You mean those two SB's where Eli Manning and his cast...... Plaxico, Tyree and Manningham........rained on their parade with critical late game plays in the passing game?

The SB they won........they made that play at the end. Thanks in great part to Revis taking one side of the field away and fellow FA Browner identifying and jamming the combination route that allowed Butler to get in front of that pass.

Hmm in 2007 the amazing escape from a sack and Miracle catch wouldn't have changed... maybe Asante on Plaxico instead of god I forget his name... and Maybe Revis makes that INT that Asante dropped.

As for the other SB, nah great passes into tight windows, I don't even think Revis could have been any tighter on Mannningham that game..

The Tyree's catch could not have been defended more tightly. That won the game. Nothing Revis would have done in either game to change those plays. In the SB they won, Wilson was never looking at Revis's side of the field so, nope.

That's my favorite part of the scenario. Apparently, if the Jets were to cut Revis, we could sign him for the league minimum and the Jets would have to pay him the rest of the $6 million owed to him while he plays in a Bills uni. What an awesome possibility.

I don't know if Revis would be a good safety but the cost of the experiment would not be high.

I think this is the point. Seems like a pretty reasonable deal to me.

Ryan has worked wonders with John Meeks, Duke Williams and Corey Graham. Ed Reed has transformed our safeties into All Pros. Yeah...we should spend $15 mill/yr on Revis as a stop gap. Definitely.

Ha he's not making $15 million. More like 2 years, $15 million. I wouldn't mind that at all.

I vote that we actually draft a 1st round safety

I vote that we draft a first round wide receiver. Lot easier to find reasonably priced, more than competent safeties on the open market.