Pros and cons of keeping Rex next season

BillsFan130

Honestly I think you gotta keep Rex. The Bills can't keep switching coaches every 2 to 3 years and expect to ever get anywhere. However Rex really needs to change the culture of this team. It's getting to a point where teams are just doing what they want to our players and nothing is happening. Teams are taking cheap shots on us on a weekly basis.

This idea of coaching continuity makes sense...if you have the right coach. The downside of continuity above all else sometimes gives you a Jeff Fisher or a Marvin Lewis.

I'm not a Rex fan. I hated the hire and was ready for him to be gone after least season and after the first 2 games this year. Of course, I'm not the one paying him to coach or not coach. My personal feelings aside, I actually am in favor of keeping him for another season. The offense has made some great improvements and there are some bright spots on the defense, notably the linebacker play and the pass rush. While I don't think Rex will ever win a Super Bowl, I don't think the team has Super Bowl talent anyway, and I agree with the other posters who make the continuity argument. I also applaud Rex's improvement. Last year, he was awful with challenges (the KC game comes to mind) and this year, he addressed the issue and there is great improvement. And, as mentioned above, the offense and defense have both shown some improvement, and that is without many key players such as Watkins, Dareus, etc.

One other item to note is last night's game. This was a big game on a big stage in a very tough environment against a strong opponent. While they ultimately fell short, they played hard and were very effective, particularly on offense. After the Seattle took the big lead late in the first half, and the debacle with the FG attempt at the end of the first half, the team could have folded its tent. Many previous Bills teams have done just that in similar situations. This group fought hard and got themselves back into a position to potentially win the game.

Very good point.

I don't think rex is the problem so much as Whaley. This roster's been paper thin forever.

And this is not...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's 3 and out been working for the last 20 years? From what I have seen Rex is improving as a coach. I think he continues. What the guy who gave him a 5 year contract thinks is what really matters.

Yes I agree with you. I am not a huge Rex fan, but I do hope they give him another year

Guys....Rex is not going anywhere

The guy has not played with his best player on the O and the D side of the ball all season....had a 4 game winning streak....and this team is probably going to string together another one before the season is over.

but they have to do something about this secondary......the drop off from when Donnie Henderson was here is so dramatic it cannot be overlooked.

So from week 7 (the Jags loss) of 2015 I was firmly a Rex "OUTER". I am not normally a hire 'em, fire 'em type. I wanted Marrone to stay, I thought we were right to stick with Jauron as long as we did (and right to can him about when we did) and thought Chan maybe should have got an extra year. I like continuity and I value continuity. I was just so frustrated with the defense last year and none of the attempts to rationalise it from many good posters on this board convinced me that Rex was anything other than the primary fault for that.

However, I promised to "reset the clock" in the pre-season and judge him this year just on the job he does this year first and foremost. At the moment I am not actively a "Rex must Go" guy. I think he has done a better job this year than last, he takes some credit for the very brave decision he took to change OC after week 2, and the defense whilst not where I think it should be has got a bit better (needs to be more consistent). Whether he should get another year or not will depend for me on the stretch run. If he can get us to 6-6 and in the mix with 4 to play I think he makes a strong case for staying even if we end up 8-8. If, however, we are 5-8 only to run the table against the Jets, Miami and Cleveland in back to back dead rubbers (for all involved) then I think the Bills should consider a change and I will advocate for change again. The team is so darn inconsistent and remains inconsistent in the areas a Rex Ryan team and a team built this way (money on defense) should not be in my view.

So at the moment (a bit like my position on Tyrod) I am still there to swayed like a voter in a swing state....... some might wish to think of Rex as the bombastic Donald Trump in this scenario but I think he is actually more the "better the devil you know" Hillary Clinton equivalent. Rex is what he is at this stage - a mediocre NFL Head Coach. I don't believe he will ever lead this team to a championship but he might be the guy to keep the show on the road one more year try and get an even more definitive view on Tyord (If Rex stays TT is our 2017 starter without question) and giving Whaley who I think has been a solid (not great) GM one more shot to get this team over the hump.

It is up to Rex now to deliver some wins and prove he is the right man at least for 2017.

Guys....Rex is not going anywhere

The guy has not played with his best player on the O and the D side of the ball all season....had a 4 game winning streak....and this team is probably going to string together another one before the season is over.

but they have to do something about this secondary......the drop off from when Donnie Henderson was here is so dramatic it cannot be overlooked.

He had a 4 game string against a bunch of backup QBs. He's 1-5 against starters this year.

I asked this upthread...is there any 2016 final record where the Rex-should-stay posters would change their minds? There has to be, no??

Last time a Rex Ryan-coached team had a winning season: 2010 Jets. That and 2009 were his only winning seasons. In 2009 the Jets were the best D in the league; in 2010, #3.

Long story, short - Rich Kotite would have won with those teams.

Rex is all show. He talks the talk, but hasn't walked the walk in a very long time.

Pros:

Neat truck

Funny pressers

"Exciting" football

Cons:

No playoffs as long as he's here.

He had a 4 game string against a bunch of backup QBs. He's 1-5 against starters this year.

I asked this upthread...is there any 2016 final record where the Rex-should-stay posters would change their minds? There has to be, no??

Sure there is....the answer is, it depends. A record needs to be evaluated in context so I can't give you a hard number.

If they finish 4-12 and the team clearly quits on him, than of course he should go. But I didn't see much 'quit' on Monday night.

Not Rex's fault that Gilmore went from a top 10-15 CB to one of the worst CB's in the entire league. As others have stated, his defense is dependent on lock down CB's and right now, he has none. He has pretty much worked wonders with the front seven this season. He deserves another year and he'll get one.

Good post. Pretty much where I stand.

Maybe not bringing back Donnie Henderson has hurt and bringing in Ed Reed obviously hasn't helped. Maybe Rex deserves some of the blame.

Beat me to it. Ryan's defense plays well against bad QB's and poorly against the better QB's and this showed last year too. The only big name the team beat was Andrew Luck who was clearly injured and went 2-5 in 2015.

This year the Bills beat the Cardinals in Buffalo and for some reason, the Arizona coaches had a brainfart and attempted to emulate the Jets with constant deep passes instead of simply attempting to move the chains and make first downs.

The other two wins came against the 1-7 49ers and the 3-5 rams. The Bills managed to beat the Patriots in New England when they were forced to start a 3rd string rookie QB who was injured because they had no other QB on the roster.

This observation is also material to the perception that this defensive scheme is an antiquated relic from football past.

Not Rex's fault that Gilmore went from a top 10-15 CB to one of the worst CB's in the entire league. As others have stated, his defense is dependent on lock down CB's and right now, he has none. He has pretty much worked wonders with the front seven this season. He deserves another year and he'll get one.Good post. Pretty much where I stand.

My issue with the lockdown CB comment is that the recent WR friendly rule changes have made it nearly impossible for even the best CB to be that good. I don't know that there are two lockdown CBs in the league now. Even some of the best CBs are primarily zone CBs now. For example, Josh Norman pretty much played exclusively zone last season in Carolina.

I think Rex would be having a lot more success if his CBs could bump and grab all the way down the field, like they used to be able to do. I just don't see how that kind of defense can be successful today and Rex doesn't seem to be changing. I'll say this though, his safety situation isn't helping him either. Maybe that is hindering him.

My issue with the lockdown CB comment is that the recent WR friendly rule changes have made it nearly impossible for even the best CB to be that good. I don't know that there are two lockdown CBs in the league now. Even some of the best CBs are primarily zone CBs now. For example, Josh Norman pretty much played exclusively zone last season in Carolina.

I think Rex would be having a lot more success if his CBs could bump and grab all the way down the field, like they used to be able to do. I just don't see how that kind of defense can be successful today and Rex doesn't seem to be changing. I'll say this though, his safety situation isn't helping him either. Maybe that is hindering him.

Don't you have to be less than arm's distance from a wide receiver to bump and grab him?

Don't you have to be less than arm's distance from a wide receiver to bump and grab him?

Bumping a WR can slow him down and take him off his route. So can the grabbing that CBs used to be able to get away with. Even CBs being able to rest a hand on a WR was huge. It allowed the CB to look back to see what the QB was doing while still keeping track of the WR. If he changed direction, the CB knew it immediately. None of that is permitted anymore. That's why passing and receiving numbers have skyrocketed.

Rex was brought in because of his defensive mind and history with taking a team to the AFC Championship game. With that, here are my pro's and con's

Pros:

• Offensive Continuity - I believe the offense is getting better and will continue to do so. If you bring in a new head coach, you will pry lose Lynn as the new coach will want his own guys
  • National Attention and Demeanor - Rex has gotten a ton better with the media in regards to not being so obnoxious. I've been happy with how he's carried himself this year. I also believe that he is the reason for our two primetime games.

Cons:

• The defense has gotten worse. We went from top 4 to the 15-20. I don't see it turning around. He gets the flashy plays with sacks, but we aren't generating turnovers and gives up the big plays. We've gotten gashed by the Dolphins, Seahawks, and Pats (yes they gash everyone, but it's still our job)
  • I assume he's asking for positions in the draft and FA. We've gone big on defense and left ourselves weak at WR and OT.
  • So far, 0-2 when should have been 2-0 based off quality of opponent. We didn't show up for either game. While all of our games except the Pats was winnable into the 4th quarter, results matter and he's not getting us here.

I think they will bring him back, but I can't give you a strong reason as to why they should. There is nothing besides Lynn and TT progressing to make me believe his team will get any better. And in his system, we will occasionally need to put up 35 points a game to win. If Lynn is the offense, and the D is erratic, what exacly is Lynn bringing to the table?

I know it won't happen, but I really do believe that Schwartz and Lynn could have this team in the playoffs.

Lastly, !@#$ Dareus

Rex was brought in because of his defensive mind and history with taking a team to the AFC Championship game. With that, here are my pro's and con's

Pros:

• Offensive Continuity - I believe the offense is getting better and will continue to do so. If you bring in a new head coach, you will pry lose Lynn as the new coach will want his own guys
  • National Attention and Demeanor - Rex has gotten a ton better with the media in regards to not being so obnoxious. I've been happy with how he's carried himself this year. I also believe that he is the reason for our two primetime games.

Cons:

• The defense has gotten worse. We went from top 4 to the 15-20. I don't see it turning around. He gets the flashy plays with sacks, but we aren't generating turnovers and gives up the big plays. We've gotten gashed by the Dolphins, Seahawks, and Pats (yes they gash everyone, but it's still our job)
  • I assume he's asking for positions in the draft and FA. We've gone big on defense and left ourselves weak at WR and OT.
  • So far, 0-2 when should have been 2-0 based off quality of opponent. We didn't show up for either game. While all of our games except the Pats was winnable into the 4th quarter, results matter and he's not getting us here.

I think they will bring him back, but I can't give you a strong reason as to why they should. There is nothing besides Lynn and TT progressing to make me believe his team will get any better. And in his system, we will occasionally need to put up 35 points a game to win. If Lynn is the offense, and the D is erratic, what exacly is Lynn bringing to the table?

I know it won't happen, but I really do believe that Schwartz and Lynn could have this team in the playoffs.

Lastly, !@#$ Dareus

Thanks for sharing, good post. The defence has gotten worse since he took over there is no question about that. But the defence is a bit better than last year and they are missing a lot of key guys plus darby and Gilmore are just awful. . I for sure agree with your last comment. F*** Dareus

Totally disagree

And me. The roster is decent - not perfect but decent - the problem has been using the talent effectively. I don't know where people think all this bursting deep rosters are, because when I look at the league I don't see them. We were down to our 3rd choice NT starter on Monday night and gave up just 33 yards rushing. We have two areas where we are really thin - receiver and safety. As the law of averages would have it we have suffered injuries at both spots.

How many teams are deep at safety?

The problem is apparently Rexs system relies on safety's. And If that's the case why were we relying on a fragile, one hit away from retirement safety in Aaron Williams?

Why does the defense fall off a cliff due to a safety being injured?

I think the mistake here was to put the eggs in the Aaron WIlliams wont get hurt basket

Blanton was their fallback.....and this is not panning out

I know the season isn't over, and of course if the bills make the playoffs Rex will probably stay. And on the other end, if the bills go 4-12 he will be for sure gone, but chances are the bills will go 7-9 roughly. So here are some of my pros and cons if the bills end up finishing with a middle of the pack record

Pros

1. A Lynn/ Tyrod development- I for one am not a Tyrod lover, but i do think he is an average NFL QB who can get better. Since A Lynn came in, the offence has been much better. He makes the o line better, QB better, and WRS better. If Rex is gone, A Lynn surely wouldn;t be back in Buffalo as the new head coach would want to bring his own guy in. Same as Tyrod, as he is owed 27 mil or something next year? There is no guarantee he would be back as well. Keeping Rex means keeping A Lynn and Tyrod, which looks somewhat promising

2. Continuity/improvement- I might get blasted for this one, but even though the bills defence is below average this year, they are better than last year . No A Williams, Ragland, Dareus and Lawson for the most part, and sack totals are way up. The biggest problem is obviously the secondary. Is it Rex's fault that Gilmore and Darby can't cover anyone this year? I would say partially because he does put them on a island a lot, but at the end of the day, those guys need to make way more plays. Rex has shown, if you can give him a good secondary, his defence goes to elite level. In saying that, there still looks to be a lot of confusion out there. That is a huge problem

Cons

1. No Accountability- Pretty obvious that the bills don't have much accountability on the team. Penalties again are ridiculous again. Guys can make stupid plays then will continue to play the rest of the game. I don't think that will ever change for Rex

2. History shows him to be mediocre coach- Since 2011 I believe Rex hasn't had made the playoffs? He is a below .500 coach, and chances are if he's back next year, he will hover around that record again

- My personal opinion, I don't think Rex is a great coach at all and has obvious flaws. In saying that, if the bills finish with a 7-9 or 8-8 record, I would bring him back as long as Tyrod and A Lynn keep showing signs of improvement. I truly believe Rex can fix the defence when he has playmakers and when healthy. We all know the most important thing is to have a franchise QB, so if there is even a chance Tyrod is like that under A Lynn, bring all 3 of them back next year and rip up the AFC

Good commentary. I am concerned A Lynn might get promoted out of Buffalo if he keeps showing the capabilities he has shown as OC. It seems early, but in the NFL strange things do happen.

And me. The roster is decent - not perfect but decent - the problem has been using the talent effectively. I don't know where people think all this bursting deep rosters are, because when I look at the league I don't see them. We were down to our 3rd choice NT starter on Monday night and gave up just 33 yards rushing. We have two areas where we are really thin - receiver and safety. As the law of averages would have it we have suffered injuries at both spots.

I think the entire reason as to why Rex Ryan was hired in the first place was to bring all that talent on defense into being the best they could be. Now that hasn't happened and it's not even close! To see the defense go from #4 overall in 2014 to middling for two years in a row now.

Last season the excuse was that missing Kyle Williams after 6 games was the biggest reason for the drop-off and yet the defense was bad before then. Aaron Williams played in five games this season and the team still lost to the NY Jets by giving up 374 yards in the air to Fitz and almost 500 yards total. The defense was bad even with Williams. Missing one player or two players shouldn't cause the entire defense to decline as much as it has for two years now. The Patriots lose half their starters to injury and still compete for the AFC Championship.

Last season an all pro D-line was made to look ineffective and the entire line failed to get to the QB all season while being 31st in sacks! Now, this year two of the best corners in the league are made to look ineffective and lost? Suddenly after half a year the team realizes that they might need WR & Saftey help?

Now, this is just an excuse, after excuse as injuries do happen every year to every team! How many years of using the first few picks on defense will it take this coaching staff to get to #4 overall, if ever? One of the largest defensive coaching staffs in the league with the addition of an ex DC in Rob Ryan to and an all pro / future HoF S in Ed Reed and the latter looks to be making things worse on the field.

PROS- Rex Ryan helped bring in LG Richie Incognito and QB Tyrod Taylor because the current GM failed to find a decent LG or starting QB for the future. The offense has improved. So many things have changed as the loudmouth blowhard that kept making promises from the first year is gone and has been replaced by a head coach with a solid personality I really like. Game management has been better. Last years late incoming defensive play calls and player substitutions have improved considerably, save the NE game with Brady under center. The 2016 Buffalo Bills lead the league in sacks as opposed to 31st last year! Lorenzo Alexander is tired with Vonn Miller for the most sacks in the NFL and Buffalo has two more sacks then Denver to lead the league with 30!

CONS-The penalty problem from last year looked to be improved after the first few games and yet the team is again the #2 team in the league. This defense has a difficult time against average to really good QB's and for the past two years has done really well against the rookies or bad QB's. This was not the case in 2014 as the team faced the league MVP in Aaron Rodgers and shut him down(17 of 42 for 185, 2 INT's). Then faced a Peyton Manning that threw for almost 5000 yards and 39 TD's and held him to 14 of 20 for 173 yards, no TD's! and that was with McKelvin at CB!

Don't get me wrong here because I really like this year's version of Rex Ryan and would be delighted if the team was winning more games. But then I liked Chan Gailey too. What stinks is the defense that most fans said would improve this year with the addition of the new coaches and after having a year in such a complex system didn't improve very much. Come to find out it looks like it isn't the system at all but rather the coaching and schemes. The simple fact is this defensive scheme looks to have great difficulty in stopping even average QB's.

The Bills still face Andy Dalton, Blake Bortles, Derek Carr, Ben Rothlisberger, Josh McCown, and two QB's that already beat the Bills once in Ryan Tannehill, Ryan Fitzpatrick. So, it's no given that the Bills will beat any of these upcoming teams. My take is that Rex Ryan's future in Buffalo depends on how well his team plays in the next seven games.

We all want to see this team in the playoffs and with 8-8 or less would tell me that no matter how many years you give Ryan it just won't happen. I've been around long enough to see that if you hire the right head coach he could have this team in the playoffs and contending for the division very quickly.

$http://www.nflpenalties.com/index.php?view=total&year=2016

The team is so darn inconsistent and remains inconsistent in the areas a Rex Ryan team and a team built this way (money on defense) should not be in my view.

So we have to ask the question why the team is inconsistent? Is it game planning that stays similar despite the different offenses of the opponents or do the game plans change and some are effective and others not? Do the opponents change their offensive game plans, like Belechick, and the defensive game plan is not prepared for it and/or the coaching doesn't make good in-game adjustments?

All of the above is related to coaching. Other reasons for inconsistency are that the players are inconsistent or they have difficulty executing some of the game plans.

Playing Miami after Ajayi just ran for 200+ yards, should the Bills D have been better prepared and not allow him to again gain 200 yards? I actually think in that game, he heat and humidity were too much to overcome. Once Ajayi and his O-Line got going, there was little the Bills could do to stop them. The D-Line got outplayed. So, should the Ryan's have made adjustments and did they?

This makes sense to me.

I guess people here don't realize that this team has been injured since week 3 of last season. When we put a beat down on Miami 41-14. Rex is not a perfect coach but he's gotten alot of of the bkups that have been forced into action.. Rex has been dealt a really bad hand with these injures....

Give him another yr and clean house with the training staff and doctors on this team. Something is very wrong here with all these injures . I realize all teams have injuries but with us it seems to be the best and most important player that get hurt. A Will is a big huge injury for this team not only is he a really good safety but gets players lined up in this defense which is paramount to its success.

I hope we bring bk Rex and this excellent first class staff next season with the likes of A Lynn, Kromor, Sanjay, Palmer, Blake, April, Rob, Crossman, Tim & Reed this is a all star staff .. IF ONLY WE CAN BE HEALTHY THIS TEAM CAN GET DEEP INTO PLAYOFFS.

Lol.

Do any other teams deal with injuries or no? Just the Buffalo Bills?

Yea they hurt, but EVERY team deals with them. It's not just the Bills.

If AWs communication to the defense was that important they should've had a legit back up plan because there was a very good chance he was going down again to injury.... And he did. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I'm shocked it is.

Scotty, its Friday, go make a drink. 👍

Every team gets injures we just get bone crushing injuries to our best players.

AWill 3gms

Cordy 3gms

Sammy 7gms

Dareus 8gms

Woods 1gm

McCoy 2gms

Lawson 7gms

Ragland IR

I challenge anyone to show me a team that's winning with these types of injuries.

Stop.

AWill 3gms

Cordy 3gms

Sammy 7gms

Dareus 8gms

Woods 1gm

McCoy 2gms

Lawson 7gms

Ragland IR

I challenge anyone to show me a team that's winning with these types of injuries.

The Ravens last year.. ...oh wait

AWill 3gms

Cordy 3gms

Sammy 7gms

Dareus 8gms

Woods 1gm

McCoy 2gms

Lawson 7gms

Ragland IR

Dareus was injured for 8 games?!?

AWill 3gms

Cordy 3gms

Sammy 7gms

Dareus 8gms

Woods 1gm

McCoy 2gms

Lawson 7gms

Ragland IR

The Chiefs last year were absolutely decimated and they made it to the divisional round

Ron Rivera - 6-10, 7-9 his first 2 years. Carroll was 7-9 his first 2 years in Seattle. Lewis was 8-8 his first 2 years. Garrett was 8-8 for 3 years before finally making the playoffs.

Not to say all are created equal, but sticking with a guy can have its benefits. Rex seems to be finding himself a bit more here as well. Not playcalling the D anymore, and having more of a say on the offense. Things a HC should do.

Not sure why you are confusing this conversation with facts, data, and common sense?