Torrey Smith on the block

Reed83HOF

David Harris never reached free agency; he was re-signed several days before free agency began. Not sure how the Bills were in on the bidding for a player that was never available.

That is accurate, but the idea that his agent hadn't been in contact with the Bills when it was just days prior to the official opening of FA completely ignores the fact that agents negotiate free agent contracts with new teams at this time and then sign contracts minutes into free agency. Rex wanted him but $7.5 per for 3 years was VERY rich for an older ILB. Jets overpaid because the Bills and the Dolphins were both in on Harris.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is precisely what I'm talking about. you completely invent timelines to suit your narrative. There was never a bidding war for David Harris because the Jets signed him before he could be FA. But that hasn't stopped you from railing about it for over a year.

Same with the Marshall trade. Of course Bills would have liked to have him, but the veteran QB was a priority, if you recall. You can't slam the team for things outside their control, like McCown deciding to go to Cleveland. There was no other FA QB available, unless you wanted to bring back Jordan Palmer. Why do you think Cowboys gave up a fifth for Cassell?

Not everyrthing works in a neat way that frames your arguments.

But they were wrong.......there WERE better QB's available.

And they needed Marshall. That was their primary need at a position where they could realistically expect to get a high quality player. Whoever they got as their QB they were going to need kickasss receiving targets to make him look good. EJ Manuel might have looked good with Watkins and Marshall but Tyrod would have had a field day.

And they needed Marshall. That was their primary need at a position where they could realistically expect to get a high quality player. Whoever they got as their QB they were going to need kickasss receiving targets to make him look good. EJ Manuel might have looked good with Watkins and Marshall but Tyrod would have had a field day.

Still blaming Whaley for Jabari Greer?

Name the better available QBs at time.

If there was a consistent voice among Whaley, Ryan and Roman in the winter it was getting a vet QB was a priority. After they lost out on McCown, the options were almost done.

Still blaming Whaley for Jabari Greer?

You asked for an example of a high pick directing a good value talent off of the team. The fact that they haven't had the opportunity to do so prior to this years top picks seems relevant. They've created that for themselves with the Shaq and Ragnuts selections. Watkins, Kujo and Darby weren't forcing any tough roster decisions.

Here's an idea........explain to me why they WON'T let either Brown go in favor of Ragnuts.

Your shtick is you never really say anything...........until that one time you do and then it's a bunch of heat mapped bulls*t excuses that only you buy. :lol:

Name the better available QBs at time.

If there was a consistent voice among Whaley, Ryan and Roman in the winter it was getting a vet QB was a priority. After they lost out on McCown, the options were almost done.

I have a better idea.......you give me the list of available QB's and I will point them out.......because it's pretty easy to find two that were available right in the AFC East that threw for about 60 combined TD's last year. How many did McCown and Cassell throw for again? Yeah, because they WEREN'T the best options.

Edited by #BADOL

That is accurate, but the idea that his agent hadn't been in contact with the Bills when it was just days prior to the official opening of FA completely ignores the fact that agents negotiate free agent contracts with new teams at this time and then sign contracts minutes into free agency. Rex wanted him but $7.5 per for 3 years was VERY rich for an older ILB. Jets overpaid because the Bills and the Dolphins were both in on Harris.

This was not possible unless the Bills and Dolphins wanted to expose themselves to charges of tampering. Harris was re-signed before the allowed 48 hour window for agents to contact teams prior to the official opening of the free agency period.

Harris was never more than a rumor for the Bills. To say we were in on him is pure conjecture.

Call me crazy, but I don't really put a ton of stock in WR blocking. Yeah, it's nice, but it's not why they're on the field. I view it as a tertiary skill, and in any event Hogan has been blocking downfield well in NE himself. Both are good route runners and both are size-challenged. Hogan seems to be a better deep threat and appears to be a little quicker (although Woods is likely faster). Woods has been playing well this season, but so has Hogan. Hogan is on pace for only 33 catches, but he's on a loaded team (Gronk, Bennett, White, Amendola, Edelman) in which the QB spreads it around. The Bills would be better off if they had both of them instead of just one.

Ok, crazy. When you're offensive philosophy is "ground and pound" with your QB attempting less than 30 passes per game, WR blocking is important.

Ok, crazy. When you're offensive philosophy is "ground and pound" with your QB attempting less than 30 passes per game, WR blocking is important.

Absolutely. Year in and year out, the top running teams in the league have WRs who can block. It may not be the first thing coaches look for in a wideout, but it's still a coveted trait. And it's emphasized by every team in the league to some degree.

The ceiling on Myles Jack is much higher than that of Shaq or Ragnuts. How would he be doing in Buffalo? How do you think Lorax or Zach Brown would be doing in Jacksonville? Jack is an extremely versatile talent.........and Jacksonville is an enormously underachieving team which indicates poor coaching.

But, wait, don't the Jags still have Saint Doug?

I've lost the thread a bit, or maybe the thread has lost itself.

In any event - it's pretty damn clear that they screwed up by not placing a higher tender on Hogan. They're now scrambling to find WRs and all they had to do was up the tender on him, he's not a world-beater but no one could seriously argue that the Bills wouldn't be better off right now with Hogan on the roster. What was the difference in yearly value, $500K? $1M? Whatever it was, it was well worth it. And that decision showed a complete lack of foresight and more of the "penny wise, pound foolish" thinking that we very much did see during the Wilson years. I don't know how anyone could dispute that it was a bad decision of the kind we've seen over and over again (through different GM administrations, sure, but the similarities of these occurrences suggest unchanged thinking).

OTOH, Preston Brown is a JAG. Ragland may be, also, but I'm hoping (and I think the Bills are betting) that Ragland makes P. Brown expendable. Now I agree with the general premise that high picks shouldn't be wasted on filling roster holes, and shouldn't be used for positions that easily could be filled in FA. I hated the Lawson pick and I hated the Ragland pick even more. That said, if Ragland can become David Harris (who was a 2nd round pick, himself), which is a big "if," it will mean very good things for Rex's defense (assuming Rex is still here by then, which I doubt).

But back to the OP - Torrey Smith is a one-trick pony who is easy to defend and who is too expensive for what he brings to the table.

Very good point , just don't do it like Landry, except against Burfict maybe.

You asked for an example of a high pick directing a good value talent off of the team. The fact that they haven't had the opportunity to do so prior to this years top picks seems relevant. They've created that for themselves with the Shaq and Ragnuts selections. Watkins, Kujo and Darby weren't forcing any tough roster decisions.

Here's an idea........explain to me why they WON'T let either Brown go in favor of Ragnuts.

Your shtick is you never really say anything...........until that one time you do and then it's a bunch of heat mapped bulls*t excuses that only you buy. :lol:

I have a better idea.......you give me the list of available QB's and I will point them out.......because it's pretty easy to find two that were available right in the AFC East that threw for about 60 combined TD's last year. How many did McCown and Cassell throw for again? Yeah, because they WEREN'T the best options.

My schtick is never say anything? That's rich. Explain that to my wife.

And no that wasn't the question. But true to YOUR schtick which you've already been called out for in the thread, you posited something that never happened, ran with it, and drew a bunch of wild conclusions which you treated like absolutes.

Speaking of schticks, didn't hear much from you during the month Shady dominated.

Anyways, here's something I'll say, the question was what evidence is there that--as you asserted--both Browns are likely to let walk and create holes and needs.

You said Jabari Greer. That **** was hilarious.

Then you asked what evidence is there they won't be let go.

That's a fair question, but to anyone who's been paying attention since DW took over it's a little odd, since the answers are obvious. Aquisitons or retentions or restructures which he's been responsible for since taking over which have not required finding replacements and have enabled signing other non hole creating players:

Dareus, KW, Clay, NRC, AW, TT, Glenn, Incognito, Wood, Hughes

All more relevant than Jabari !@#$ing Greer.

Now this is also all to satisfy your tangential premise that PB SHOULD be kept. I'm not even of the mind that he needs to be and that his departure wouldn't be as calamitous as your need for it to be would.

Yes that would be a good idea, because we can discuss the QBs who were actually available as opposed to the fantasy picks Bills had a shot on. Out of all of them, Tyrod ended up being the best signing, but there's no way you could have predicted that in February 2015. And it was clear that nobody at OBD wanted to go into training camp without a QB who didn't have real NFL experience.

Matt Moore & Brian Hoyer were the cream of the available crop, followed by:

1. Tim Tebow, QB, Eagles. Age: 28.
  2. Jimmy Clausen, QB, Bears. Age: 27.
  3. Christian Ponder, QB, Vikings. Age: 27.
  4. Austin Davis (RFA), QB, Rams. Age: 26.
  5. Tarvaris Jackson, QB, Seahawks. Age: 32.
  6. Luke McCown, QB, Saints. Age: 34
  7. Matt Schaub, QB, Raiders. Age: 34.
  8. T.J. Yates, QB, Falcons. Age: 28.
  9. Colt McCoy, QB, Redskins. Age: 28.
  10. Tyrod Taylor, QB, Ravens. Age: 26.
  11. Josh Johnson, QB, 49ers. Age: 29.
  12. Matt Flynn, QB, Patriots. Age: 30.
  13. Tyler Thigpen, QB, Browns. Age: 31.
  14. Thad Lewis, QB, Texans. Age: 27.
  15. Rex Grossman, QB, Redskins. Age: 35.
  16. Jason Campbell, QB, Bengals. Age: 33.
  17. Matt Hasselbeck, QB, Colts. Age: 39.
  18. Dan Orlovsky, QB, Lions. Age: 32.
  19. Blaine Gabbert, QB, 49ers. Age: 25.
  20. Jordan Palmer, QB, Titans. Age: 31.
  21. Kellen Moore (RFA), QB, Lions. Age: 26.
  22. Scott Tolzien, QB, Packers. Age: 27.
  23. Chandler Harnish, QB, Cardinals. Age: 27.

I've lost the thread a bit, or maybe the thread has lost itself.

In any event - it's pretty damn clear that they screwed up by not placing a higher tender on Hogan. They're now scrambling to find WRs and all they had to do was up the tender on him, he's not a world-beater but no one could seriously argue that the Bills wouldn't be better off right now with Hogan on the roster. What was the difference in yearly value, $500K? $1M? Whatever it was, it was well worth it. And that decision showed a complete lack of foresight and more of the "penny wise, pound foolish" thinking that we very much did see during the Wilson years. I don't know how anyone could dispute that it was a bad decision of the kind we've seen over and over again (through different GM administrations, sure, but the similarities of these occurrences suggest unchanged thinking).

OTOH, Preston Brown is a JAG. Ragland may be, also, but I'm hoping (and I think the Bills are betting) that Ragland makes P. Brown expendable. Now I agree with the general premise that high picks shouldn't be wasted on filling roster holes, and shouldn't be used for positions that easily could be filled in FA. I hated the Lawson pick and I hated the Ragland pick even more. That said, if Ragland can become David Harris (who was a 2nd round pick, himself), which is a big "if," it will mean very good things for Rex's defense (assuming Rex is still here by then, which I doubt).

But back to the OP - Torrey Smith is a one-trick pony who is easy to defend and who is too expensive for what he brings to the table.

Agreed on Hogan and Preston Brown is JAG or close to it. PB would likely be a cheap, easy re-sign and or could have been replaced fairly easily in FA. That's not to say Ragland won't be good or better but it's not apples and oranges, they are VERY similar.

Yes that would be a good idea, because we can discuss the QBs who were actually available as opposed to the fantasy picks Bills had a shot on. Out of all of them, Tyrod ended up being the best signing, but there's no way you could have predicted that in February 2015. And it was clear that nobody at OBD wanted to go into training camp without a QB who didn't have real NFL experience.

Matt Moore & Brian Hoyer were the cream of the available crop, followed by:

1. Tim Tebow, QB, Eagles. Age: 28.
  2. Jimmy Clausen, QB, Bears. Age: 27.
  3. Christian Ponder, QB, Vikings. Age: 27.
  4. Austin Davis (RFA), QB, Rams. Age: 26.
  5. Tarvaris Jackson, QB, Seahawks. Age: 32.
  6. Luke McCown, QB, Saints. Age: 34
  7. Matt Schaub, QB, Raiders. Age: 34.
  8. T.J. Yates, QB, Falcons. Age: 28.
  9. Colt McCoy, QB, Redskins. Age: 28.
  10. Tyrod Taylor, QB, Ravens. Age: 26.
  11. Josh Johnson, QB, 49ers. Age: 29.
  12. Matt Flynn, QB, Patriots. Age: 30.
  13. Tyler Thigpen, QB, Browns. Age: 31.
  14. Thad Lewis, QB, Texans. Age: 27.
  15. Rex Grossman, QB, Redskins. Age: 35.
  16. Jason Campbell, QB, Bengals. Age: 33.
  17. Matt Hasselbeck, QB, Colts. Age: 39.
  18. Dan Orlovsky, QB, Lions. Age: 32.
  19. Blaine Gabbert, QB, 49ers. Age: 25.
  20. Jordan Palmer, QB, Titans. Age: 31.
  21. Kellen Moore (RFA), QB, Lions. Age: 26.
  22. Scott Tolzien, QB, Packers. Age: 27.
  23. Chandler Harnish, QB, Cardinals. Age: 27.

Throw in Fitz and his 30 TD's and that's probably 4-6 better options. Point is that GM's aren't judged by being able to determine who was better several years ago but rather who will be better in the upcoming season.

I was on the Tyrod bandwagon quite early on. Someone else was too, perhaps Kirby. But admittedly it was because I felt that Cassell was a straight-up tomato can acquisition.

Throw in Fitz and his 30 TD's and that's probably 4-6 better options. Point is that GM's aren't judged by being able to determine who was better several years ago but rather who will be better in the upcoming season.

I was on the Tyrod bandwagon quite early on. Someone else was too, perhaps Kirby. But admittedly it was because I felt that Cassell was a straight-up tomato can acquisition.

I was on the bandwagon based on the unknown. The two VT guys here were driving it quite early on. IMO, if my options are EJ or Cassel give me door #3 & I will take my chances that it's better. That has certainly proven true regardless of where people stand on Tyrod. There is no case that can be made that the Bills made the wrong choice.

This was not possible unless the Bills and Dolphins wanted to expose themselves to charges of tampering. Harris was re-signed before the allowed 48 hour window for agents to contact teams prior to the official opening of the free agency period.

Harris was never more than a rumor for the Bills. To say we were in on him is pure conjecture.

its obviously conjecture.... but i would think its reasonable to say that teams and agents are talking outside the rules.

theres almost no way to police it, and minimal consequence. it obviously happens, even if we dont know if it happened here.

My schtick is never say anything? That's rich. Explain that to my wife.

And no that wasn't the question. But true to YOUR schtick which you've already been called out for in the thread, you posited something that never happened, ran with it, and drew a bunch of wild conclusions which you treated like absolutes.

Speaking of schticks, didn't hear much from you during the month Shady dominated.

Anyways, here's something I'll say, the question was what evidence is there that--as you asserted--both Browns are likely to let walk and create holes and needs.

You said Jabari Greer. That **** was hilarious.

Then you asked what evidence is there they won't be let go.

That's a fair question, but to anyone who's been paying attention since DW took over it's a little odd, since the answers are obvious. Aquisitons or retentions or restructures which he's been responsible for since taking over which have not required finding replacements and have enabled signing other non hole creating players:

Dareus, KW, Clay, NRC, AW, TT, Glenn, Incognito, Wood, Hughes

All more relevant than Jabari !@#$ing Greer.

Now this is also all to satisfy your tangential premise that PB SHOULD be kept. I'm not even of the mind that he needs to be and that his departure wouldn't be as calamitous as your need for it to be would.

Jabari Greer was a very good player your dismissal of him shows how little you follow the rest of the league. He was becoming a very good corner in Buffalo but became an excellent one in NOLA while the Bills struggled mightily with Leodis. Greer's footwork was unreal......some of the clips of his coverage would make great gifs, it looked like he was dancing with receivers at times. And to further dismiss your point......he was found by one GM and permitted to leave by another.

Regarding PB......I don't consider him special......it's an opportunity cost situation. They used a 3rd on PB......then two years later use a 2nd and two 4ths on his successor.........all at a position they could have filled for cheap in FA. It's about the opportunities they are losing in the process.

Oh and by the way I was present plenty in the Shady doubters must repent thread. The last thing I said was it was a long season then there was a popping sound. I'm not gloating that he re-injured his hamstring, I wanted him to have a great year but the odds of him recapturing his 2013 form for a whole season at his age/mileage were not great and some here felt it was a given. Hopefully he gets back, the Dolphins crashed the run hard Sunday but he looked very injured.

Edited by #BADOL

its obviously conjecture.... but i would think its reasonable to say that teams and agents are talking outside the rules.

theres almost no way to police it, and minimal consequence. it obviously happens, even if we dont know if it happened here.

There is no way to keep an agent from talking to a GM. It's really not even the least bit complicated whatsoever to circumvent tampering rules. The Jets overpaid Harris by $1M-$2M per because they knew they had to. And AGAIN, I didn't want them to sign Harris I just made the point that if the player(Preston) was the reason for the problems then they had no excuse because they could have filled the role with the maestro of his D........just as he did when he brought Bart Scott to NY.

Jabari Greer was a very good player your dismissal of him shows how little you follow the rest of the league. He was becoming a very good corner in Buffalo but became an excellent one in NOLA while the Bills struggled mightily with Leodis. Greer's footwork was unreal......some of the clips of his coverage would make great gifs, it looked like he was dancing with receivers at times. And to further dismiss your point......he was found by one GM and permitted to leave by another.

Regarding PB......I don't consider him special......it's an opportunity cost situation. They used a 3rd on PB......then two years later use a 2nd and two 4ths on his successor.........all at a position they could have filled for cheap in FA. It's about the opportunities they are losing in the process.

Oh and by the way I was present plenty in the Shady doubters must repent thread. The last thing I said was it was a long season then there was a popping sound. I'm not gloating that he re-injured his hamstring, I wanted him to have a great year but the odds of him recapturing his 2013 form for a whole season at his age/mileage were not great and some here felt it was a given. Hopefully he gets back, the Dolphins crashed the run hard Sunday but he looked very injured.

The fact that you keep harping on Jabari Greer means you're woefully incapable of understanding reality on its own terms.

I'm fully aware of what Greer did after the Bills. He did it seven years ago. The activity of the FO in those days has NOTHING to do with what's happened in the last three years. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Kdiggz.....that may well happen...but its not because Preston isnt playing well cuz he is

Our LB core as a whole has been playing outstanding.

John watch Preston on the all 22 if you get a chance. He picks the wrong hole or gets blown up and crumbles like a house of cards and is slow in his pursuit. Zach might make a mistake or get blocked but has great closing speed. Preston's stats are artificially inflated in Rex's defense where all plays are funneled to the LB. Zach is having his best year as a result. Preston is not because he's not very good unfortunately. Needs to fill the hole better instead of absorbing the block and being taken out of the play. I think Ragland in that position would be an upgrade and we can all see how well Zach is playing

Kdiggz gonna Kdiggz. Watch a game sometime.

My assessment was a little harsh. Let's just say he's below avg and Ragland would be an upgrade. More athletic and tenacious taking on and shedding blocks

Fitz falls into the category of a fantasy pick, who wasn't truly available to Bills at the time. May as well speculate how the Bills missed trading for Rodgers. It was highly doubtful Bills were going to trade to get Fitz back considering how he departed.

The fact that you keep harping on Jabari Greer means you're woefully incapable of understanding reality on its own terms.

I'm fully aware of what Greer did after the Bills. He did it seven years ago. The activity of the FO in those days has NOTHING to do with what's happened in the last three years. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are willfully missing the point.

How you use your early draft picks matters..

So if they DO keep both Browns.......having an ILB you traded a second and two fourths for ON THE BENCH........and weaknesses at a number of tougher to fill positions.......doesn't reflect well utilized draft picks either.

Fitz falls into the category of a fantasy pick, who wasn't truly available to Bills at the time. May as well speculate how the Bills missed trading for Rodgers. It was highly doubtful Bills were going to trade to get Fitz back considering how he departed.

You guys are so tiresome with your excuses. Buddy Nix and Doug Marrone were long gone. In any event, my point was that there were better options than Cassel and there were.

PFF: Five NFL trades we’d like to see

3. 49ers WR Torrey Smith to the Buffalo Bills

It’s no secret that pretty much everybody on the 49ers’ roster that wasn’t drafted in the first round over the past two seasons is available to any team that comes calling. Torrey Smith may not be an elite receiver, but he can be a productive one on a team that can get him the ball, especially deep. Buffalo lost a big weapon when Sammy Watkins went down hurt, and Smith would go a long way towards giving the Bills some of that deep weaponry back. Smith’s average depth of target this season is 15.6 yards downfield, but he has caught just 43.3 percent of the balls thrown his way because of disastrous San Francisco QB play.

Tyrod Taylor throws one of the league’s best deep balls, and the pair could form a potent deep-strike partnership that would give Buffalo’s offense some of its swag back.

PFF: Five NFL trades wed like to see

Its no secret that pretty much everybody on the 49ers roster that wasnt drafted in the first round over the past two seasons is available to any team that comes calling. Torrey Smith may not be an elite receiver, but he can be a productive one on a team that can get him the ball, especially deep. Buffalo lost a big weapon when Sammy Watkins went down hurt, and Smith would go a long way towards giving the Bills some of that deep weaponry back. Smiths average depth of target this season is 15.6 yards downfield, but he has caught just 43.3 percent of the balls thrown his way because of disastrous San Francisco QB play.

Tyrod Taylor throws one of the leagues best deep balls, and the pair could form a potent deep-strike partnership that would give Buffalos offense some of its swag back.

It makes sense and even the media sees it.

This means we definitely won't do it

It’s no secret that pretty much everybody on the 49ers’ roster that wasn’t drafted in the first round over the past two seasons is available to any team that comes calling. Torrey Smith may not be an elite receiver, but he can be a productive one on a team that can get him the ball, especially deep. Buffalo lost a big weapon when Sammy Watkins went down hurt, and Smith would go a long way towards giving the Bills some of that deep weaponry back. Smith’s average depth of target this season is 15.6 yards downfield, but he has caught just 43.3 percent of the balls thrown his way because of disastrous San Francisco QB play.

Tyrod Taylor throws one of the league’s best deep balls, and the pair could form a potent deep-strike partnership that would give Buffalo’s offense some of its swag back.

Obviously given my posts above, I agree with this.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are willfully missing the point.

How you use your early draft picks matters..

So if they DO keep both Browns.......having an ILB you traded a second and two fourths for ON THE BENCH........and weaknesses at a number of tougher to fill positions.......doesn't reflect well utilized draft picks either.

Preston Brown is under contract through 2017 so he'll still be here. I hope they re-sign Zach Brown. And if Ragland returns next year as expected, he'll start and Preston will backup.

For $8M/year plus the draft pick, you want more than merely a "productive" receiver. And a 1-year rental isn't worth it.

Preston Brown is under contract through 2017 so he'll still be here. I hope they re-sign Zach Brown. And if Ragland returns next year as expected, he'll start and Preston will backup.

For $8M/year plus the draft pick, you want more than merely a "productive" receiver. And a 1-year rental isn't worth it.

I assume they would try to redo his deal when he got here. He is only 27, and may end up being better than advertised. But the bottom line is are we really saying no to a WR to save money? Why do we care? It's not going to put us in cap hell.

I assume they would try to redo his deal when he got here. He is only 27, and may end up being better than advertised. But the bottom line is are we really saying no to a WR to save money? Why do we care? It's not going to put us in cap hell.

Redoing his deal means giving him more money in a bonus. No thanks.