Torrey Smith on the block

Reed83HOF

This team needs to draft a WR early next year, and bring in a vet starter in the off-season. I don't see them trading for Smith.

This should have been expected with us so thin at WR to start the season. We seem to always get depleted at that spot.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This team needs to draft a WR early next year, and bring in a vet starter in the off-season. I don't see them trading for Smith.

This should have been expected with us so thin at WR to start the season. We seem to always get depleted at that spot.

this is what I don't get. They need to bring in a vet starter. Now. Why wait until the offseason? Why wouldn't they trade for Smith?

this is what I don't get. They need to bring in a vet starter. Now. Why wait until the offseason? Why wouldn't they trade for Smith?

Dealing from a position of desperation. Does Torrey Smith save this season? I'm not sure about it without knowing the playbook, scheme, etc. He is a solid deep ball threat with a big contract.

What would the 49ers want? A 3rd-4th+? I wouldn't give up a 3rd for him. Player for Player trades are difficult, especially in season.

Edited by HeHateMe

This crap again

Do you really expect Chris Brown, who is a mouthpiece for the team, to put it out to the public that the Bills are interested? Why? So that they can tip off other teams and/or alert the 49ers as to the level of their interest?

Dealing from a position of desperation. Does Torrey Smith save this season? I'm not sure about it without knowing the playbook, scheme, etc. He is a solid deep ball threat with a big contract.

What would the 49ers want? A 3rd-4th+? I wouldn't give up a 3rd for him. Player for Player trades are difficult, especially in season.

yes they are desperate. They need a starting caliber WR to stay alive this year and they need one after this year too. I guess they should just throw their hands in the air and give up. I really don't care about the money, it's not that much for a starting WR. They aren't signing a decent FA at this position because anyone who has a choice in the matter isn't coming here. Plus that doesn't help them this season. Edited by YoloinOhio

yes they are desperate. They need a starting caliber WR to stay alive this year and they need one after this year too. I guess they should just throw their hands in the air and give up. I really don't care about the money, it's not that much for a starting WR. They aren't signing a decent FA at this position because anyone who has a choice in the matter isn't coming here. Plus that doesn't help them this season.

So what are you giving up for him?

and worth stressing that when looking at the down the line cap hits on spotrac -- those are the niners that include the prorated bonus. if traded, they would all come down.

essentially youd be making the decision to move on from woods (who will get a nice contract and may net us a 4th round comp pick to help offset whatever we send)

I think Watkins, Woods and TSmith will make a great receiving corps. Do you not see woods as coexisting with Torrey Smith?

If Spotrac numbers are to be believed, the entire $8 million in 2017 pay becomes guaranteed in April. $8mill is too much of a cap hit next year for a #2 WR

are we ever actually discussing cutting him after April? for all intents and purposes for a discussion in this thread, his contract moving forward isnt guaranteed.

I think Watkins, Woods and TSmith will make a great receiving corps. Do you not see woods as coexisting with Torrey Smith?

in that we would be paying 15m a year for a #2 and #3 i dont. otherwise, sure, who wouldnt like that talent

So what are you giving up for him?

a 3rd. I wish it wasn't the case but we are dealing in reality, which is a position of desperation. SF has all of the leverage. It's similar to the position the Vikes were in at QB when their starter went down right before the season. You are going to overpay mid-season when you are clearly in the position we are at WR. Edited by YoloinOhio

are we ever actually discussing cutting him after April? for all intents and purposes for a discussion in this thread, his contract moving forward isnt guaranteed.

in that we would be paying 15m a year for a #2 and #3 i dont. otherwise, sure, who wouldnt like that talent

Right. So the numbers have to of course make sense but it almost immediately takes the pressure off to draft a WR early. We would be set at WR for a while

According to Spotrac, his contract calls for $22 million guaranteed, of which $16 million is paid through the end of the 2016 season. Don't know how the other $6 million rolls in, because footnotes say that the 2017 pay becomes guaranteed in April and that amount is $8 million. If I'm paying that much for a #2 WR, I'd rather have Woods than Smith because he's a better fit for Bills offense.

I'll gladly take Smith at $2.5 mil for the last nine weeks though

yes they are desperate. They need a starting caliber WR to stay alive this year and they need one after this year too. I guess they should just throw their hands in the air and give up. I really don't care about the money, it's not that much for a starting WR. They aren't signing a decent FA at this position because anyone who has a choice in the matter isn't coming here. Plus that doesn't help them this season.

I agree -- desperation is where they're at. I worry that they don't realize this.