Torrey Smith on the block

Reed83HOF

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley was on wgr this morning seemed to think that talks around the league would start heating up on Sunday night... wouldn't be surprised to see him do a deal but he basically said alshon was off the table (without naming him) due to his tag and contract sitcheeayshun.

Whaley was on wgr this morning seemed to think that talks around the league would start heating up on Sunday night... wouldn't be surprised to see him do a deal but he basically said alshon was off the table (without naming him) due to his tag and contract sitcheeayshun.

Alston makes little sense here logistically. Smith actually would though.

Redoing his deal means giving him more money in a bonus. No thanks.

I'm pretty sure that everyone pointing that direction is thinking average pay being flat or a reduction AND adding cap flexibility. But sure, there would be some upfront payouts

I'm pretty sure that everyone pointing that direction is thinking average pay being flat or a reduction AND adding cap flexibility. But sure, there would be some upfront payouts

I just don't see him taking a pay cut.

For $8M/year plus the draft pick, you want more than merely a "productive" receiver. And a 1-year rental isn't worth it.

I wouldn't argue with anyone who didn't like Torrey Smith's salary/cap hit but he would not be a "1-year rental" like Alshon Jeffery or Michael Floyd. He's under contract thru 2019.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/torrey-smith-7777/

Edited by ExWNYer

I wouldn't argue with anyone who didn't like Torrey Smith's salary/cap hit but he would not be a "1-year rental" like Alshon Jeffrey or Michael Floyd. He's under contract thru 2019.

i keep saying this too. That's why it makes so much sense. We have no one under contract next year at the position other than Sammy and maybe Salas. And his contract is fine. Any decent FA WR isnt coming here for less in march.

He's young, can catch the deep ball, TT likes to throw the deep ball, under contract, vet experience, get r done.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i keep saying this too. That's why it makes so much sense. We have no one under contract next year at the position other than Sammy and maybe Salas. And his contract is fine. Any decent FA WR isnt coming here for less in march.

He's young, can catch the deep ball, TT likes to throw the deep ball, under contract, vet experience, get r done.

Good points. He's certainly a more realistic option than Jeffery who has a $14.599 million cap hit. The Bills don't have that kind of flexibility.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/alshon-jeffery-9855/

Edited by ExWNYer

So what is an acceptable draft pick? Keeping in mind the Jets got Marshall and a 7th for a 5th rounder.

So what is an acceptable draft pick? Keeping in mind the Jets got Marshall and a 7th for a 5th rounder.

Marshall was 3 years older and was a locker room cancer in Chicago and they couldn't wait to get rid of him. It was also not the seller's market for the Jets in the offseason at that time, that it is for the Bills mid-season in desperate need for a WR. Marshall was also a very different type of WR.

Regardless of that I would give up a conditional 5th that can become a 4th or 3rd.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I wouldn't argue with anyone who didn't like Torrey Smith's salary/cap hit but he would not be a "1-year rental" like Alshon Jeffery or Michael Floyd. He's under contract thru 2019.

By 1 year rental I meant they let him play out this season and then when he balks at taking a pay cut, cut him.

Then you keep him at 7.5m per with no guaranteed dollars

Again, not worth it.

By 1 year rental I meant they let him play out this season and then when he balks at taking a pay cut, cut him.

Again, not worth it.

Yes, worth it.

We have 0 offense outside of McCoy, and the receiver group hasn't had good depth and talent in a long time.

He is 27 - Tyrod can indicate if he likes him - would give us legit 2nd option - can redo contract to make it more cap friendly - we get a nice WR at a down price because kid was playing with poor team and poor qb play deflating his numbers

Woods to be free agent and Goodwin just cant be counted on to stay healthy

He is 27 - Tyrod can indicate if he likes him - would give us legit 2nd option - can redo contract to make it more cap friendly - we get a nice WR at a down price because kid was playing with poor team and poor qb play deflating his numbers

Woods to be free agent and Goodwin just cant be counted on to stay healthy

Goodwin also a FA

Swap meet: One trade for each AFC team to consider
Might the Pats connect with Steve Smith? Should the Jets dangle Ryan Fitzpatrick? Can the Titans sell high on DeMarco Murray? The Around The NFL team has trade ideas for each AFC squad.

Buffalo Bills: Buy Torrey Smith

Chris Wesseling: Provided LeSean McCoy bounces back quickly from a hamstring strain, the Bills have a strong enough roster to compete for a wild-card spot in the wide-open AFC. With No. 1 receiver Sammy Watkins sidelined by a nagging foot injury, though, the aerial attack has been unreliable. Smith excels outside the numbers and downfield, which meshes with the skill set and tendencies of quarterback Tyrod Taylor, who throws a beautiful deep ball. The rebuilding 49ers are already listening to offers for Smith and would likely accept a mid-round draft pick in return for a receiver due to earn more than $7 million in 2017.

Again, not worth it.

It's worth it for several reasons:

1. The going rate for a #2 receiver is going to be in the range Smith

makes now if not more.

2. He's only 27, fits into the "prime" of the other offensive weapons and adds an explosive element to the offense for not just this season, but the remainder of his contract as well, which paired with Watkins would be nice to have.

3. I believe the Bills only have Watkins, Powell and Listenbee under contract at the position after this season. Woods/Hunter/Goodwin/Salas are all FA.

4. He's been durable and dependable. A good locker room guy. Knows Tyrod too being from Virgina and playing for the Ravens. So there could be some good chemistry there.

5. They are not giving Gilmore what he wants. And they shouldn't. Which means it's very likely the Bills are looking at a first round CB to throw in the mix with Seymour. So it's better, to me, to get a proven WR through a trade. Or just re-sign Woods. But money being equal, Smith gives a team a more explosive option than Woods.

If Whaley could get Smith to re-negotiate the terms of his deal fine, but I think this is a trade I can see Whaley making either way.

Edited by purple haze

Rotoworld is now saying he could be had for a 4th or 5th round pick. That's beyond worth it to me. Yes, we don't have a 4th, so I'd make it a 5th and a conditional 7th next year.

We can also extend him after the season to reduce his cap hit.

The real question is, what Safety can we trade for after the **** show we saw at the position today.

Rotoworld is now saying he could be had for a 4th or 5th round pick. That's beyond worth it to me. Yes, we don't have a 4th, so I'd make it a 5th and a conditional 7th next year.

We can also extend him after the season to reduce his cap hit.

The real question is, what Safety can we trade for after the **** show we saw at the position today.

Maybe the 49ers will deal Antoine Bethea too.

He only makes 6.25 mil, so we could afford that with it being prorated.

I know this will never happen, but imagine taking the pressure off the draft. Give them a 3 and a 5 for those two guys and then we can go wherever we want with 1 and 2.

And before anyone says "we wouldn't have a 3, 4, and 5 pick?! Who cares if we are getting starting players for those 3 picks. You are gambling with picks 4 and 5 every year and these guys are both young.

He only makes 6.25 mil, so we could afford that with it being prorated.

I know this will never happen, but imagine taking the pressure off the draft. Give them a 3 and a 5 for those two guys and then we can go wherever we want with 1 and 2.

And before anyone says "we wouldn't have a 3, 4, and 5 pick?! Who cares if we are getting starting players for those 3 picks. You are gambling with picks 4 and 5 every year and these guys can contribute immediately.