Sully throws in the towel too

8-8 Forever?

Trolling is easy and easy to ignore. He's just pissed that the Sabres' and Bills' brass under the Pegulas keep TBN at an arm's length to prevent them from having any inside knowledge.

He's not interested in being an insider. That's not his job. There are other reporters who have better access than he does. So what? He can form his own opinions by watching the product outside of the inside room and then write his opinions based on the results.

The team has been out of the playoffs for 16 consecutive years while functioning in a system designed for parity. What do you want him to do? Praise the organization for the smart way it does its job?

Jerry Sullivan is a perennial cynic. There is a remedy to his jaundiced eye: play more intelligently, win more games and qualify for the playoffs. This team's record for a generation is mediocre. The problems afflicting this organization have nothing to do with the ornery people who comment on it; the substantive issue is how the organization and team perform in a bottom line business of wins and losses.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6-10 is Sully's prediction. Gaughan, now him... Why is everyone so down on this team? We actually have a quality starting QB, the roster is healthy (Shady, Kyle, Aaron) and is as good or better than last years and they have the systems down now. Top ten talent (we'll see if they perform at that level) at all key NFL positions. Until the injuries pile up and trash everything, What's not to like? I don't see a healthy roster 6-10. No way.

Fish swim, birds fly, and Sully whines because that's what they do.

He's not interested in being an insider. That's not his job. There are other reporters who have better access than he does. So what? He can form his own opinions by watching the product outside of the inside room and then write his opinions based on the results.

The team has been out of the playoffs for 16 consecutive years while functioning in a system designed for parity. What do you want him to do? Praise the organization for the smart way it does its job?

Jerry Sullivan is a perennial cynic. There is a remedy to his jaundiced eye: play more intelligently, win more games and qualify for the playoffs. This team's record for a generation is mediocre. The problems afflicting this organization have nothing to do with the ornery people who comment on it; the substantive issue is how the organization and team perform in a bottom line business of wins and losses.

TBN is definitely interested in being an insider and I detect a sentiment of resentment that they have been essentially shut out.

The team's documented mediocrity or worse for the last 16 years has nothing to to with an honest assessment of where they stand now based on the talent of the 2016 team under new ownership.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Hillary is Hillary, Trump is Trump, Rex is Rex and Rob is Rob. Not wanting to see people and their strengths and weaknesses because of your desires and hopes is human.

This team is 6-10 to 8-8.

This defense is not better than last years and TT didn't suddenly become able to read defenses and release before the receiver comes out of his break or put it down the middle of the field because he is acting like a leader in pre season.

I don't want them to be mediocre but they are.

Sully can be a weeny but I don't think he is far off on this one.

No it didn't happen suddenly but by most accounts he has improved dramatically. It's not unrealistic to expect big improvement after his 1st year as a starter

TBN is definitely interested in being an insider and I detect a sentiment of resentment that they have been essentially shut out.

The team's documented mediocrity or worse for the last 16 years has nothing to to with an honest assessment of where they stand now based on the talent of the 2016 team under new ownership.

What does it mean being an insider? There are other BN reporters who are inside the room. So what! Even if the BN reporters were shut out of the room, who cares? It's much more meaningful reporting on the games that are played than on reporting on some bullshiiit scoop about some players and coaches giving some inside information in the smelly locker room to cover their arses?

Sully is giving his opinion about the upcoming season. You disagree with it. That doesn't mean that Sully's negative opinion is implausible. It certainly is. There are plenty of football analysts outside of Buffalo who are not invested in the home team who don't believe that Buffalo is a playoff team. My point being that Sully is far from being off the wall with his prediction.

Trolling is easy and easy to ignore. He's just pissed that the Sabres' and Bills' brass under the Pegulas keep TBN at an arm's length to prevent them from having any inside knowledge.

This! They started right in on him when he bought the Sabres and doubled down when he bought the Bills. 1st news conference and Sully was asking about a new stadium and Pegs wasn't playing his game.

What does it mean being an insider? There are other BN reporters who are inside the room. So what! Even if the BN reporters were shut out of the room, who cares? It's much more meaningful reporting on the games that are played than on reporting on some bullshiiit scoop about some players and coaches giving some inside information in the smelly locker room to cover their arses?

Sully is giving his opinion about the upcoming season. You disagree with it. That doesn't mean that Sully's negative opinion is implausible. It certainly is. There are plenty of football analysts outside of Buffalo who are not invested in the home team who don't believe that Buffalo is a playoff team. My point being that Sully is far from being off the wall with his prediction.

If you respect his opinion, that's fine by me. I don't because Sully IMO is another whiny little B word who loves to insert himself into the center of a story and doesn't like being dismissed by the Bills' brass.

He's irrelevant! Just like when he showed up at last year's Super Bowl and asked Cam Newton an off the wall stupid question that was ignored.

He just dusted off his article from last year and changed the date. I respect his lack of work ethic.

Yes he did a real Yolo job. I do not respect the owners of Buffalo Snew who keep employing him. They (the Bills) should start weekly article questioning his and owners commitment to quality.

If you respect his opinion, that's fine by me. I don't because Sully IMO is another whiny little B word who loves to insert himself into the center of a story and doesn't like being dismissed by the Bills' brass.

He's irrelevant! Just like when he showed up at last year's Super Bowl and asked Cam Newton an off the wall stupid question that was ignored.

There are opinions of his I agree with and there are opinions I don't. He certainly can be obnoxious and irritating. However, what he is not going to do is be schmoozed by an organization into softening his opinions regarding its performances and decisions. No doubt he has deliberately cultivated a harsh critic persona and shtick to garner attention. But I'm going to give him credit for not being afraid to ask the pointed questions in the press conferences after one of the many sloppy performances. There are more than enough fawning reporters in the room who accept the sacharine responses from the podium. He's not one of them. For that I give him credit.

Sully and his BFF Bucky really have a hard on for the Pegulas.

It must kill them that the Pegulas own both teams.

At the end of the day, it must be horrible being Sully (or Mrs. Sully for that matter) and leading such a miserable and negative existence.

Edited by Peter

When a team has performed poorly for 16 years, coming off a year of high expectations to only go 8-8 (where the defense regressed), the top two draft picks go down, Marcel is suspended, etc.....It's easy for the media to stay "consistent" with the projections.

That said, I'm with you. I'm excited to see the offense perform in year 2 and healthy. Although we're out the top two draft picks, I think the defense is going to surprise alot of people. Here's to a great season, Go Bills!

Okay, so why bother making any predictions when the past dictates who you are?

I understand what you're saying but we've already had more than our share and the season hasn't started. We will probably have more like all teams and this will only add to the list. We've lost 2 Lawson's, Ragland, Dareus and A Williams in one way or another. That is 5 of 11 projected starters. Sammy and Kyle are question marks. Staying completely healthy from this point forward still leaves us pretty darn dinged up.

Where do you get this crap from?

Lost 2 Lawson's? Yeah, but 1 is for maybe 6 games, and the other just got beat out for a spot. That means somebody better will be playing.

Dareus? Only 4 games!

A. Williams He will be back, maybe even opening game.

Sammy is fine and poised for a pro-bowl year.

Kyle? By all reports he is recovered and ready for the season.

Glass half empty, huh? No man, half full!

Edited by Deadstroke

It is so easy for the "analysts" to predict a bad season for the Bills because history is on their side. Couple that with the fact that we showed almost nothing in the preseason and everyone has already written us off. The reality is, I believe we will be greatly improved on both sides of the ball this year, but it may take a few weeks for the team to shake of the rust and click.

If we can start the year 2-2, I believe 10 wins and the playoffs is a very real possibility.

Wait, we showed almost nothing in preseason??? I thought our starters looked good, or was that negated by the Detroit game?

6-10 is Sully's prediction. Gaughan, now him... Why is everyone so down on this team? We actually have a quality starting QB, the roster is healthy (Shady, Kyle, Aaron) and is as good or better than last years and they have the systems down now. Top ten talent (we'll see if they perform at that level) at all key NFL positions. Until the injuries pile up and trash everything, What's not to like? I don't see a healthy roster 6-10. No way.

I don't know, playing a bit of devils advocate here but are we as talented as we think on D?

Washington: unproven rookie

Kyle: getting old and hasn't played in forever

Corbin: solid DEPTH guy

J Hughes: solid when not taking dumb penalties

LoAlexander: old, special teams ace who somehow found his way to start on our team

Preston: good against run, suspect against pass

Zach: umm, I guess he looks decent, but who knows?

Darby/Gilmore: most solid part of D

AW & Graham: Hate to say it but AW may not ever be the same and Graham is just OK and not getting any younger.

Take off the glasses for a day.

Sully may have given "some thought" the first time he wrote a version of this article.

He and Bucky have a vendetta (or so it seems) against the Pegulas. When I read anything either write about them, I read through the "glasses" of Sully claiming our billionaire owner was lucky in business and Bucky's misogynist rants about Kim.

Except in rare instances (like when Sully writes about the Olympics or that Buffalo girl who died in the balloon accident), Sully has been phoning it in and writing (slightly different versions of) the same article for the past several years. Both Sully and Bucky have a narrative and pretty much everything they write seems to be designed to fit that narrative.

Given their (and some other's) negativity, I also find it humorous how thin their skin is.

P.S. My prior post was not a comment on you but rather a comment on Sully (as set forth above).

Edited by Peter

I have no significant issues with the Buffalo sports reporters, unless they report things that are not true or factually inaccurate. They express their opinions, and it is up to each of us to decide whether we agree or disagree. Sure they have been negative over the last number of years, but not always without good reason. Bottom line is that it is up to the team (and the overall organization) to shut them up with a winning season and a spot in the playoffs.

There are opinions of his I agree with and there are opinions I don't. He certainly can be obnoxious and irritating. However, what he is not going to do is be schmoozed by an organization into softening his opinions regarding its performances and decisions. No doubt he has deliberately cultivated a harsh critic persona and shtick to garner attention. But I'm going to give him credit for not being afraid to ask the pointed questions in the press conferences after one of the many sloppy performances. There are more than enough fawning reporters in the room who accept the sacharine responses from the podium. He's not one of them. For that I give him credit.

The elephant in the room is " what the heck does Sully know ". Has he ever played a sport - any sport ? If he hasn't, he ought not be a sports writer. I'm not talking about playing college ball or even HS. Has he even played Little league. It certainly would have given him some perspective on the day to day practices, conditioning, & the day to day socializing of the players & the concpt of team work.

He may turn out to be correct in his prediction. That only means that he & my wife agree. We shall see. As they say - that's why they play the game.

The elephant in the room is " what the heck does Sully know ". Has he ever played a sport - any sport ? If he hasn't, he ought not be a sports writer. I'm not talking about playing college ball or even HS. Has he even played Little league. It certainly would have given him some perspective on the day to day practices, conditioning, & the day to day socializing of the players & the concpt of team work.

He may turn out to be correct in his prediction. That only means that he & my wife agree. We shall see. As they say - that's why they play the game.

My theory is that he got picked on by people more successful in life (sports, business, journalism, life), and this his way of trying to get back.

I have no significant issues with the Buffalo sports reporters, unless they report things that are not true or factually inaccurate. They express their opinions, and it is up to each of us to decide whether we agree or disagree. Sure they have been negative over the last number of years, but not always without good reason. Bottom line is that it is up to the team (and the overall organization) to shut them up with a winning season and a spot in the playoffs.

So explain what good reason Sully has now? Remember when the narrative was you need a franchise QB. Well we have Taylor now, paired up with Watkins, McCoy and Clay, plus an O-line that has a year under their belts. Does that move the needle forward even a little? Nope. We still suck. So the story is nothing you do matters because of the playoff drought. So give up

Great quote. It is easy to write for TBN. Change the names and the dates. Rerun article.

When the bills reach the playoffs this year I have a standard reply for Jerry and all of the other Nattering Nabobs of Negativity.

GO. POUND. SALT.

Wow did it take you 16 years to think up that stinging retort? Problem with all the complaints about changing dates and rerunning things is that he's been right for 16 years on the team.

Agree with you. But after 16 years it's the default position. Any adversity hits and a lot of minds go belly-up.

Sullivan gona Sully

Which means

This guy heads to the punchbowl to take a leak at every party.....so beware

Health is gonna be key for this team.....injuries at the wrong spots will do us in (just like they will every other team)

I still like what Whaley has done to plug holes when bad things have happened this off season.....that said

- Our OL depth is scary

- The Manny Lawson thing is baffling to me

I can understand why the old queen Sully is frustrated . That said it's the entire local media that bashes the home teams. One day you get Tim Graham launching the going rougue bomb , then you have the play offs or bust story, or you get Mike Schoop Killing Whaley for an hour over risking behavor on late round draft picks.

No mentions of his drafting record against others. The pats launch high picks on a regular basis , Ted Thompson another media favorite, well he has a former second round pick on the bills roster. We know what both teams have in common that the Bills lacked for years and may still do. That's the league get a qb and you win. If you don't have one yes you can win but you have a lot less room for error.

Lately is seems Terry is taking hits, which is crazy he doesn't have a losing season on his resume. The rumor that the Peluga's are buying a media outlet surely plays into the new attacks . It is sad though sports is suppose to be fun but when every bit of information reported about your favorite team has a negative slant it just is frustrating. I get it they want to drive eyes and ears but the reporting is so basis that they just cause people to tune out.

Edited by baskingridgebillsfan