New Era sign is atrocious

mrags

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like the name of the field. The sign is weak. Hopefully just temporary until they get a better one. Would like to see a Bills player in action on the sign. Maybe Sammy catching a pass. Right now it looks like you're walking into a giant oversized Bills store.

Oh good, so the sign matches the reality.

not really, it's more the mention it gets during games that is the payoff.

your 100% right. So why bother changing the sign out front?

Facts:

-- Ralph named the stadium after himself when the Rich Foods deal expired; how classy is that?

-- Ralph continued to preside over his personal memorial until 2012 when he finally gave the go ahead to sell the naming rights

-- Pegula chose not to pursue a naming rights deal during his first year of ownership out of respect for Ralph

-- Once they did pursue a deal, they didn't sell out for the most money, they targeted a locally-owned, nearly 100-year-old business that is already affiliated with the NFL -- completely illogical!

-- What other owners have their names associated with their teams' stadiums?

I just don't understand people.

Ralph named the stadium after himself because after The Rich naming rights expired he didn't have any takers for the rights thy made it worth it.

To my knowledge, Ralph used the naming rights in his own name as a tax right off and donated that money every year I believe. Could be wrong about that hit I heard that before.

your 100% right. So why bother changing the sign out front?

Ralph named the stadium after himself because after The Rich naming rights expired he didn't have any takers for the rights thy made it worth it.

To my knowledge, Ralph used the naming rights in his own name as a tax right off and donated that money every year I believe. Could be wrong about that hit I heard that before.

because they still paid for the naming rights.

because they still paid for the naming rights.

naming rights are one thing. Painting a giant Billboard add with a few hats in it is something else.

Opinions differ. You don't care. I think it looks like a cheesy billboard.

Why not just title this thread GET OFF MY LAWN!

I believe the phrase for this one is "NIHBY"!

Not

In

Hammer's

Back

Yard

!

:beer:

he just wants the sign to show a little understated elegance. like the fans in the private tailgating lots.

Ha, they should run Deadspin video highlights of Bills fans tailgating on all screens at the stadium!

It is a bit sad that welcome to Ralph Wilson stadium is replaced by a billboard. But so it goes.

It's not Ralph Wilson Stadium anymore.

But if they are to honor the builders, they should name it - Thanks Erie County Taxpayers Stadium.

Again, just because this is done doesn't make it right. The fact is the stadium is named after the founder and should retain that name. No football in this town without Ralph. I am less likely to buy the goods of New Era if his name is not part of this stadium.

Makes sense from a community point of view and for the company to include his name. So, why not done? Answer: because others have not done so. Poor reason.

No class without it.

They don't owe him anything!!! In fact, what they've done far exceeds what other teams have done. They built him a statue and named a plaza after him!! Why don't Wellington Mara, Lamar Hunt or George Halas have their names on stadiums?

They don't owe him anything!!! In fact, what they've done far exceeds what other teams have done. They built him a statue and named a plaza after him!! Why don't Wellington Mara, Lamar Hunt or George Halas have their names on stadiums?

Halas has his name on the jersey, Kirby.

I get it, you just paid millions for the naming rights. But you are really going to stand there and replace the front door of the stadium with the former deceased owners name with a stupid advertisement for hats? You couldn't come up with some sort of decent logo, signage. Instead it looks like a stupid billboard off the 190.

Ralph is probably rolling over in his grave right now.

Pegula should be ashamed of himself as well. For someone who is such a pansy when he talks about his teams and his town, sure sells out like a B word.

Ralph kept the team in Buffalo and for that we all say a huge thank you.......other than that a terrible owner who wouldn't pay head coaches, assistant coaches or scouts I'm not gonna keep going but one word synonymous the Ralph losing. 80-112 .417 winning percentage rounding up That should make him roll over in his grave but guess what it wont.

Time for a fresh start - looks great !

If the OP's message is simply that he thinks the sign itself looks like garbage, I agree.

I welcome our new corporate overlords, and think we lucked out with our new stadium name (heck, the raiders play at the "O.com Stadium") The advertisement on the back of the video screen is pretty hideous.

For a company all about branding and style, they really should have just slapped their logo on the back with a black background or something. Simple will always be better, and trying to promote a specific product on the main stadium graphic is really lame.

Here's my quick 3 minute mock-up:

Jk0TBce.jpg

Edit: There are those making the argument that every stadium's name is sold essentially as an ad, and while you're technically correct, you don't see giant 50 foot razor blades next to "Home of the New England Patriots" in Foxboro. You don't have to make the front door of the stadium literally a grouping of your new hats for sale. Some have said this is only temporary, and I hope that it is. It does look like a billboard.

Edited by fridge

Ralph kept the team in Buffalo and for that we all say a huge thank you.......other than that a terrible owner who wouldn't pay head coaches, assistant coaches or scouts I'm not gonna keep going but one word synonymous the Ralph losing. 80-112 .417 winning percentage rounding up That should make him roll over in his grave but guess what it wont.

Time for a fresh start - looks great !

calling Ralph, Cheap is just a clueless term made by clueless people that don't know what they are talking about. Ralph spent money to better this team. The problem is he made the wrong rescissions on what and who to spend the money on. But congrats, if it makes you feel better thinking he was cheap and a terrible owner.

naming rights are one thing. Painting a giant Billboard add with a few hats in it is something else.

Opinions differ. You don't care. I think it looks like a cheesy billboard.

The deal just got done. I'm sure it is just temporary for the announcement and until they get a permanent (7 yrs) version.

If the OP's message is simply that he thinks the sign itself looks like garbage, I am completely in agreement.

I'm not even sure how that would offend you like it has some people. I welcome our new corporate overlords, and think we lucked out (heck, the raiders play at the "O.com Stadium") with our new stadium name, but the advertisement on the back of the video screen is pretty hideous.

For a company all about branding and style, they really should have just slapped their logo on the back with a black background or something. Simple will always be better, and trying to promote a specific product on the main stadium graphic is really lame.

Jk0TBce.jpg

that was the reason for my disgust Fridge. I think the billboard looks hideous.

I too, welcome New Era as a sponsor and name for the stadium. I don't even care too much about removing Ralph's name from not only the stadium name but the front sign itself. New Era Field seems fine by me. I just think the advertisement is lame.

I agree with your photoshopped logo. Something along those lines. Maybe red white and blue in the background. Maybe the name New Era in big huge letters. Anything but 3 stupid hats in a billboard.

I get it, you just paid millions for the naming rights. But you are really going to stand there and replace the front door of the stadium with the former deceased owners name with a stupid advertisement for hats? You couldn't come up with some sort of decent logo, signage. Instead it looks like a stupid billboard off the 190.

Pegula should be ashamed of himself as well. For someone who is such a pansy when he talks about his teams and his town, sure sells out like a B word.

Looks to me like the hat portion is a digital image and would/can change. It could rotate in and out of different images, etc.

The deal just got done. I'm sure it is just temporary for the announcement and until they get a permanent (7 yrs) version.

so why bother to put up the signage overnight then? If it's just temporary, why bother putting anything on their for now. Why not just wait until opening day of the season and unveil a newly designed logo on the stadium in a professional way. Not a bunch of wallpaper on a billboard

so why bother to put up the signage overnight then? If it's just temporary, why bother putting anything on their for now. Why not just wait until opening day of the season and unveil a newly designed logo on the stadium in a professional way. Not a bunch of wallpaper on a billboard

For an announcement/press conference. Most people are visual and don't wanna just hear about it, they wanna see it. Like Buddy said, show me the baby.

How do you know they're not doing that?

I feel like I'm at work - everyone is a Creative Director (even those of us NOT in the Creative department). :D

Also, without Ralph's name on the stadium, how will we remember the ONE other owner the team had for its first 50+ years!? HOW??

They paid the big bucks and can put what they want on there, but I Come down on the side that it's pretty tacky and ugly. Having said that, they built the giant business operation and I did not, so......what do I know? I just wish it was a little classier looking and less like a Foot Locker billboard.

So, this is what we get nowadays? a topic is generated we get 3 of the first posts as pure BS. Of the first 10 posts, a minority offer constructive thought.

Hey, kids. This IN crap has to go. You're not the moderators. Let them decide what happens. If you dont like it, don't bother posting. You look like whiny bitches.

The season starts soon, buckle up your chin straps

From a branding standpoint I thought that it was pretty good. They stayed true to their brand that is recognized around the world and tied it into the Bills. You would never see Mercedes-Benz use a square to promote their brand or Nike a diamond. They have built these brands up over many, many years and they don't want you to have to figure out who it is. New Era is the most famous cap company in the world. They are going to keep their brand message and marks the same in all advertising.

Totally agree with this. Does the name Ralph Wilson appear anywhere at the Stadium. Is it New Era Field at Ralph Wilson Stadium?

calling Ralph, Cheap is just a clueless term made by clueless people that don't know what they are talking about. Ralph spent money to better this team. The problem is he made the wrong rescissions on what and who to spend the money on. But congrats, if it makes you feel better thinking he was cheap and a terrible owner.

do some fn research bud...always the lowest or next to lowest paid head coaches and DEAD ASS last for assistants and by quite a bit. Your wrong it's a fact

Are you ashamed of yourself everyday you get out of bed?