Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When he was sent back to the juniors he was given a training regimen. He was diligent in keeping up with the workouts even with his rigorous playing schedule. When he was sent to Rochester he was more physically ready to play in the minor league and was then more prepared to physically hand the rigors of the NHL.

In an interview he commented how doing the workouts after playing was exhausting. But he kept at it and now he is a burgeoning player. Good kid-high character-exceptional work ethic: A success.

Didn't know the backstory. That's great.

He's already playing against men in the SHL and presumably that'll give him a leg up with regard to his NHL readiness next season.

I'm optimistic about the franchise's future. There are always bumps in the road but overall the future is bright. Patience is the operative word here.

Colorado is first in the league in face off wins, goes to show you how much that matters...face offs in crunch time are all that really matter.

Are they really! I never looked, thank for that interesting fact. I will look @ that stat w/a different perspective now!

@BuffaloSabres

#1 power play in the @NHL again. Back-to-back in the win column. #SharpenUp 25b6.pnghttp://bufsabres.co/O2Tiwk

C44KF55XUAEIHxK.jpg

Always numero uno in greatest looking unis too!

:-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Where are you getting that from. Pretty much every commentary I hear on Nylander is that he's not ready physically yet. That's going to take time and there's no shame in him being in the AHL again next year. Maybe he winds up being a midseason call up, but I can't see him being anywhere near ready in October.

I don't have a link, but I recall an interview with GMTM where he said that his feeling was that it was going to be "hard to keep Nylander off the roster next year."

I hear what others are saying about his physical maturity though.

I don't have a link, but I recall an interview with GMTM where he said that his feeling was that it was going to be "hard to keep Nylander off the roster next year."

I hear what others are saying about his physical maturity though.

Not exactly setting AHL on fire

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000032017.html

We need to be very careful about over-valuing our own. Let's face it, outside of Guhle, there is no one in this system right now who is going to step directly from juniors/college into the NHL. They're going to need their development time in the minors. Hell, even with Guhle, he's been able to get his feet wet in the NHL part-time.

There's so much more to it than just looking at those stats. Just look at the two guys up top who both have no future at the NHL level.

We need to be very careful about over-valuing our own. Let's face it, outside of Guhle, there is no one in this system right now who is going to step directly from juniors/college into the NHL. They're going to need their development time in the minors. Hell, even with Guhle, he's been able to get his feet wet in the NHL part-time.

There's so much more to it than just looking at those stats. Just look at the two guys up top who both have no future at the NHL level.

At the end of the season Baptiste might be a call up.

I'm not in a hurry for Nylander to come up. It could take him another season or so to be ready. He comes from a hockey family so he understands what it takes to become a NHL player.

For a prospect like him it makes little sense to call him up even if he was border-line ready. Down in the minors he is going to get a lot of playing time while if prematurely called up he will be getting only 10 minutes or so ice time.

What is intriguing about Guhle is that even in last year's camp he did not look out of place. In this year's camp he clearly demonstrated he was ready. But allowing him another year down in the juniors was the right move because next year he is going to be a full time player.

Are they really! I never looked, thank for that interesting fact. I will look @ that stat w/a different perspective now!

Colorado is number 2 at the moment, sabres are mid pack.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?aggregate=0&gameType=2&report=faceoffsbystrength&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20162017&seasonTo=20162017&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,&sort=faceoffWinPctg

Most of the teams on the bottom are pretty good:

24 Chicago

25 Pittsburgh

26 San Jose

27 Cbus

28 MYR

29 Winnipeg

30 Edmonton

When he was sent back to the juniors he was given a training regimen. He was diligent in keeping up with the workouts even with his rigorous playing schedule. When he was sent to Rochester he was more physically ready to play in the minor league and was then more prepared to physically hand the rigors of the NHL.

In an interview he commented how doing the workouts after playing was exhausting. But he kept at it and now he is a burgeoning player. Good kid-high character-exceptional work ethic: A success.

Reinhart played a grand total of 3 games for the Amerks after his last junior season ended. He surprised a lot of folks by sticking with the Sabres last season and not going back the the A. His discipline in sticking with that prescribed workout regimen you mentioned when he was sent back to juniors after his nine game stint in the NHL in '14/'15 was the key I believe. I hope Nylander can do something similar but I'm not expecting that. In watching Reinhart in those nine games, even though he got knocked on his ass every other shift, you could see his hockey sense. The kid would put pucks where a teammate SHOULD have been routinely. He has elite hockey IQ.

GSiSD5lc_200x200.jpgVS. 7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpg

BLUES (31-22-5) at SABRES (25-23-10)

SAT FEB 18, 2017 @ 1:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 285)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 58 games
Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 22 games
William Carrier (knee, Feb.4; injured reserve) – 8 games
Zemgus Girgensons (middle body, Feb. 9; injured reserve) – 5 games
Cody Franson (foot, Feb. 11) – 4 games
Derek Grant (shoulder, Feb. 18) – 0 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/12: Activated D Zach Bogosian from IR; Placed F Zemgus Girgensons on IR

UPCOMING GAMES
Sunday, Feb. 19: Chicago at Buffalo, 6 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 25: Buffalo at Colorado, 10 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 26: Buffalo at Arizona, 8:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 28: Nashville at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, March 2: Arizona at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TODAY’S GAME

BLUES AT SABRES
This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Blues this season.
Last meeting: St. Louis defeated Buffalo 4-1 in St. Louis on Nov. 15.
The Sabres are 1-8-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Blues, 1-9-0 at home.
This is the 116th game all-time between Buffalo and St. Louis; Buffalo has a 45-54-16 series record.
The Sabres are 30-22-6 at home against the Blues all-time.

@BuffaloSabres

Evan Rodrigues has made it clear: He belongs. "He seems to have really taken off & feels comfortable out there." 25b6.pnghttp://bufsabres.co/R89hvm

C45SZE6WAAAfoI-.jpg

Reinhart played a grand total of 3 games for the Amerks after his last junior season ended. He surprised a lot of folks by sticking with the Sabres last season and not going back the the A. His discipline in sticking with that prescribed workout regimen you mentioned when he was sent back to juniors after his nine game stint in the NHL in '14/'15 was the key I believe. I hope Nylander can do something similar but I'm not expecting that. In watching Reinhart in those nine games, even though he got knocked on his ass every other shift, you could see his hockey sense. The kid would put pucks where a teammate SHOULD have been routinely. He has elite hockey IQ.

I'm a hard core Reinhart fan through and through. I remember a comment made about the GM shortly after he was drafted. He said that even though the Sabres selected second or third or whatever it was that if he had the first pick it still would have been SR. He went on to explain that the team he took over lacked hockey intelligence. For him that was the attribute that most appealed to him. If you look at him now you can see that he is much more bulked up than when he started with the team. A reflection of his hard work.

Jack and Samson are dramatically different players. Jack is speed and power, especially with his shot. He is scintillating to watch. On the other hand Samson is poetry on the ice. His anticipation passes and instinct to go to the right spot can be compared to in a certain small version of Gretzky hockey genius. Jack is a great player and a stat player. To appreciate Samson you have to go beyond his stats and watch him play. There is a subtle nature to his game that many people don't appreciate. Not I. I think he is brilliant and a great thinker on ice. And he will continue to get better.

With respect to the highlighted area if Kane who is physically stronger and tougher emulated Samson from a hockey sense standpoint and positioning around the net he would be so good that PlezMd1 would stop his determined campaign to trade him.

Are you referring to Bailey and Baptiste?

Their top two scorers are Cal O'Reilly and Cole Schneider. They're also two of the older forwards on that team. If you're pushing 30 and leading your AHL team in scoring, more times than not, your book is already written. I don't mean to say there's any shame in being that guy though. These are guys who are emergency call ups at best, which is still a role that will keep you employed for a few years.

Their top two scorers are Cal O'Reilly and Cole Schneider. They're also two of the older forwards on that team. If you're pushing 30 and leading your AHL team in scoring, more times than not, your book is already written. I don't mean to say there's any shame in being that guy though. These are guys who are emergency call ups at best, which is still a role that will keep you employed for a few years.

The most important role for these fringe pro players is to teach the young players in the minor league how to prepare on and off the ice. They are players but also act as coaches and mentors to the youngsters.

Traitor!!! Pegs should have given him 20 mill.

who should we get now?

Claude Julien was free, and a team in first place fired their coach to hire him. I think he would be the Sabre coach right now if Rex had not been fired after two years.

In terms of guys out there now, I am not sure I want any of the retreads, although does

Appear Lindy will be available.

I just want someone who wants to play a possession game, and who can live with the turnovers/mistakes that type of system inherently produces.

Traitor!!! Pegs should have given him 20 mill.

who should we get now?

Babock wanted the Toronto job. He played Pegula like a fine tuned fiddle.

Byslma is fine as a coach. He's certainly not the best and the most flexible but he is a good coach. The stumbles are player stumbles, not due to coaching. This team has roster issues, most notably on defense, that coaching has little to do with other than make do.

Just watch, if the Sabres squeeze their way into the playoffs the rock throwers will become fawning supporters. They will be throwing rose peddles at him like rice at a wedding. Please, just calm down and stop panicking. If the Sabres win today against a tough opponent the silence on the coaching issue will be deafening.

I'm fine with it. Especially when UB men's basketball is on at 3:30 on WatchESPN. They have been on a holy tear lately, winning 5 straight and averaging over 90 pts a game. Three-peat, baby!

Just to remind you Canisius beat Buffalo. :thumbsup: They beat Rider last night. Their season under Witherspoon has gone better than expected.

UB is not only a good team they are an entertaining team to watch. They shoot well and play a fast but controlled game. They are well coached and the team is getting better as the season moves on. I like them a lot.

Any one of Franson, Gorges, or Bogo can sit in favor of Falk tomorrow. Especially Gorges in a back to back scenario. Doubt Bylsma has the stones.

Speaking of which, if Reinhart should come back tomorrow, which I doubt, Bylsma should have the stones to sit Moulson instead of any of the Amerks call ups. Check that, I just remembered D Lo can be scratched instead.

Middle finger emoji to 1pm games.

Ask and ye shall receive.

post-2416-0-86686300-1487455099_thumb.jpg

Awesome win today. The kids, Baptise, Rodrigues and Bailey, all played well. Lehner was a beast. O'Reilly continues to be the best Sabre on the ice and Eichel makes a half dozen jaw-dropping plays per game.

This is becoming a very fun team to watch.

Claude Julien was free, and a team in first place fired their coach to hire him. I think he would be the Sabre coach right now if Rex had not been fired after two years.

In terms of guys out there now, I am not sure I want any of the retreads, although does

Appear Lindy will be available.

I just want someone who wants to play a possession game, and who can live with the turnovers/mistakes that type of system inherently produces.

are there more mistakes/turnovers with that system?

This was a good win against a good team that was surging after a coaching change. Lehner was the first star in this game. Collectively the three young Rocherster call ups (Bailey, Rodriques and Baptiste) inject speed and energy to the team. Bailey is getting more confident and and carrying the puck more the more he plays. In my mind he is a top two line forward.

Our blue line unit is lacking. That's obvious. You just have to ride the tired horses because there is little option other than using Falk and Fedun more.

The best part of the Kane goal is that he was in front of the net when he deflected it in. He needs to be there more.

Was Reinhart injured or ill?

Edited by JohnC