Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Nor do I. Your post made me think of Mikhail Grigorenko as they were drafted together. He was let go for the opposite reason, he always lacked effort. Zemgus will give you 110%, and that's what I like about him, but he does get careless with his responsibilities. BTW...Grigorenko has 6 points (1 goal and 5 assists) this season. The future looked so bright for both of these guys when drafted, very disappointing... One aspect of hockey that I find appealing is the greater willingness to make trades. As with most pro sports cap and contract considerations factor in player movements. The trade deadline in hockey for teams gearing up for the playoffs and also those teams selling off assets for teams not making the playoffs is a fun time for speculation and intrigue.

Our GM is a person who likes to make deals. He is not afraid to make mistakes or is the type of person who looks back and broods about the "what ifs" of a deal made or not. If I had to venture a guess of some of the players who might be available as the season advances I would say Girgensons, Ennis and Kane.

I like Ennis and like his creativity with the puck. Getting him healthy and on the right line is going to be a challenge, and getting the coach to be more tolerant of his free lancing style of play is also an issue to keeping him on the roster. I am enamored with Kane's raw talents and his consistent efforts. He plays hard! However, I'm still concerned about his lack of ability to mesh with his linemates. Maybe when some of the injured players return he will be in a better position to have his production match his physical skills?

Without a doubt this roster is still a work in progress. It is going to be fascinating to see what the GM has in mind in the not too distant future. It's obvious that the cautious Regier is not our current GMs role model

Edited by JohnC

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okposo was our best player tonight. He is a tremendous addition who is still adjusting. I thought Kane playing on a line with him played very well.

Foligno had the best goal in this game. He is a strong player who has some skill. He has an obvious presence because of his muscular play.

I thought Lehner had a strong game. Having two good goaltenders is not a problem. It is an asset.

Edited by JohnC

Does the posting of line combinations as numbers only drive anyone else crazy? I know why they have to do it that way, but it's even tougher to figure out when half of the Amerk roster is in there.

Drives me nuts. I don't see why they have to do it. These GR guys will tweet like that when it's not about line combinations.

Okposo was our best player tonight. He is a tremendous addition who is still adjusting. I thought Kane playing on a line with him played very well.

Foligno had the best goal in this game. He is a strong player who has some skill. He has an obvious presence because of his muscular play.

I thought Lehner had a strong game. Having two good goaltenders is not a problem. It is an asset.

I thought that Reinhart was a stud last night. Two beautiful passes that turned into goals. Can't wait until Jack comes back and those two pair up again.

Also, Fedun is looking like the PP captain that we've long been missing. Two more points, he's been a revelation so far.

Also, Fedun is looking like the PP captain that we've long been missing. Two more points, he's been a revelation so far.

He's played 3 games and is 3rd in points for the Sabres D. He's looking good, it would be nice to see some consistency on D and someone who doesn't break a stick every time he shoots! But he's 28 and hasn't been able to stay on a team for a reason, let's hope it just took a while to figure it out...

Edited by ricojes

I thought that Reinhart was a stud last night. Two beautiful passes that turned into goals. Can't wait until Jack comes back and those two pair up again.

The thing about Reinhart is that his style of play can best be described as being subtle and quiet. There is an intellectual and intuitive nature to his game that you can't teach: either you have it or not. The paradox is that when he scores he is usually in front of the net acquiring dirty goals demonstrating his toughness.

It is going to be interesting to see how the coach constructs his lines when O'Reilly and Jack get back. As I said in a prior post I though Kane worked well with Okposo in yesterday's game.

Edited by JohnC