Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Come on? So there is no chance that Marner ends up being better. No chance?

I guess I am wrong like last year (when you all got your panties in a bunch) when I said McD was way better than Eichel and you guys said "no they are 1 and 1A." Now you know!

It has nothing to do with being a Leafs fan.

I think this kid is going to be a superstar. You don't, that's fine but you don't have to be a dick about it.

There was no doubt by any organization in the league that McDavid was going to be the first pick in the draft. He was considered a generational player. Was Eichel considered by any teams as a more attractive prospect than Connor? Probably not. If Buffalo had the first pick last year without question McDavid would have been the selection. Almost all the Buffalo fans would agree with that ranking of the two players.

I disagree with you that Marner ends up being better than Eichel. The size and power factors too much favor Eichel. If you want to get into a more balanced debate you should offer up the either/or argument between Eichel and Austin Mathews. That is a better debate question than the Marner/Eichel comparison. Another good debate issue is whether Toronto who started their rebuild after Buffalo is on a faster track to being a serious team than Buffalo is? I thought I knew the answer prior to the season but my admittedly partisan view has been shaken this season.

Edited by JohnC

xXpLtZup_200x200.jpgVS. 7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpg

CxoTf_kVQAADgzu.jpg

PENGUINS (11-4-2) at SABRES (5-8-4)

SAT NOV 19, 2016 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 84)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 17 games
Jack Eichel (high-ankle sprain, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 17 games
Nicolas Deslauriers (knee, Oct. 30; injured reserve) – 10 games
Zach Bogosian (MCL sprain, Nov. 3) – 8 games
Tyler Ennis (groin, Nov. 9) – 5 games
Dmitry Kulikov (lower back, Nov. 11) – 4 games
Ryan O’Reilly (oblique, Nov. 12) – 3 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
11/13: Assigned F Nicholas Baptiste, D Justin Falk and F Cole Schneider to Rochester (AHL)
11/15: Recalled F Nicholas Baptiste, D Justin Falk and F Evan Rodrigues from Rochester (AHL)
11/16: Assigned D Casey Nelson to Rochester (AHL)
11/17: Recalled D Taylor Fedun from Rochester (AHL)
11/18: Assigned F Nicholas Baptiste and F Evan Rodrigues to Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Monday, Nov. 21: Calgary at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Nov. 23: Detroit at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 25: Buffalo at Washington, 5 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 29: Buffalo at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 1: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

PENGUINS at SABRES
This is the first of three meetings between the Sabres and Penguins this season.
Next meeting: Sunday, March 5 in Pittsburgh
Last meeting: Pittsburgh defeated Buffalo, 5-4 (SO), in Pittsburgh on March 29
The Sabres are 1-8-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Penguins; 2-8-0 at home.
This is the 183rd game all-time between Buffalo and Pittsburgh; Buffalo has a 64-76-42 series record.
The Sabres are 40-28-22 at home against the Penguins all-time.

Morning Skate: November 19, 2016 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am at KeyBank Center

@BuffaloSabres

NEWS: Sabres recall forwards Cole Schneider & Cal O'Reilly from @AmerksHockey - http://bufsabres.co/PPFgyI

CxoiuthUAAERPfa.jpg
CxoiutkUkAA7zfq.jpg
Getting ready for tonight vs. 1f427.png#SharpenUp: http://bufsabres.co/nSWQEZ

There was no doubt by any organization in the league that McDavid was going to be the first pick in the draft. He was considered a generational player. Was Eichel considered by any teams as a more attractive prospect than Connor? Probably not. If Buffalo had the first pick last year without question McDavid would have been the selection. Almost all the Buffalo fans would agree with that ranking of the two players.

I disagree with you that Marner ends up being better than Eichel. The size and power factors too much favor Eichel. If you want to get into a more balanced debate you should offer up the either/or argument between Eichel and Austin Mathews. That is a better debate question than the Marner/Eichel comparison. Another good debate issue is whether Toronto who started their rebuild after Buffalo is on a faster track to being a serious team than Buffalo is? I thought I knew the answer prior to the season but my admittedly partisan view has been shaken this season.

Well there were definitely some here who said they were 1 and 1A and like bbb said earlier some said there we 2 generational players in the draft.

I am comparing Marner because he has clearly been the best player on the Leafs this year. He makes everyone around him better. JVR is leading the team in scoring and is scoring at a almost 40% better pace than his career stats after been teamed up with Marner. Obviously we are only 17 games in, but so far this kid has been electric.

I don't think the size and power are as relevant in today's NHL. Marner doesn't get hit much and to tell you the truth, Matthews has taken a couple of huge hits this year, including last game where he took a shoulder right to the jaw. He's one of those fast, shifty players who is really hard to catch.

Right now it looks like the Leafs are ahead in the rebuild (I'm sure I will get called out as usual, because I can't be objective as a Leafs fan.) Like I said last year, they are loaded with young talent and are getting the experience with mostly 6 and sometimes 7 rookies in the lineup every night. (Edit - full disclosure) Zaitsev counts as one of those rookies, but is 25. It is his 1st year in the NHL though.

I'm sure the Sabres will close the gap once some of the big boys return, but I'm liking the way things are progressing in Leafland!

Edited by thebug

Well there were definitely some here who said they were 1 and 1A and like bbb said earlier some said there we 2 generational players in the draft.

Even if these two both turn out to be generational players that doesn't mean that one of those players can't be better than the other. I'm a Sabres fan and a devotee of Eichel. If I were asked whether I would prefer Eichel over McDavid either before the draft or now I would say with no hesitation McDavid.

I am comparing Marner because he has clearly been the best player on the Leafs this year. He makes everyone around him better. JVR is leading the team in scoring and is scoring at a almost 40% better pace than his career stats after been teamed up with Marner. Obviously we are only 17 games in, but so far this kid has been electric.

Eichel not only makes his linemates more effective he also infuses confidence in the rest of the team. As with McDavid what makes each a special player is that they uplift the rest of the team with their respective presence. The player in the league who most embodies the concept of elevating a team is Crosby.

I don't think the size and power are as relevant in today's NHL. Marner doesn't get hit much and to tell you the truth, Matthews has taken a couple of huge hits this year, including last game where he took a shoulder right to the jaw. He's one of those fast, shifty players who is really hard to catch.

I would take a good big over a good small when given the option. My preference and prejudice.

Right now it looks like the Leafs are ahead in the rebuild (I'm sure I will get called out as usual, because I can't be objective as a Leafs fan.) Like I said last year, they are loaded with young talent and are getting the experience with mostly 6 and sometimes 7 rookies in the lineup every night. (Edit - full disclosure) Zaitsev counts as one of those rookies, but is 25. It is his 1st year in the NHL though.

I'm sure the Sabres will close the gap once some of the big boys return, but I'm liking the way things are progressing in Leafland!

It is a good thing for both the Sabres and Maple Leafs to become good teams. An authentic rivalry is predicated on two good teams battling one another in meaningful games.

That was Cal not Ryan. :lol:

Are you !@#$ing serious?????? WTF is Cal doing in the shootout??????

I'm so !@#$ing done with this team!!!! lol

Oh well, at least I got a hat-trick from McD tonight!

Being an expansion franchise in a keeper league, i have had the last 2, first over all picks in the draft. Last year I grabbed McD. This year (as a Leafs fan) guess who I took? you are correct!!!!

I took Laine! All these long time owners looked at me like I had 2 heads!

Goals and PP goals are big in this league (and it's big bucks involved)

Matthews is very talented, but Laine is a goal scoring stud!!!

So I evaluate players based on skill.....not the jersey! So far so good!

Edited by thebug

Buffalo's goalie was their best player. Okposo was their best forward. Foligno was the most courageous player for them. He was battered and bruised and still kept pushing.

The Penguins were obviously the better team but the Sabres played hard and were gritty. This depleted team deserved this win.

The three on three overtime period was fantastic!

Edited by JohnC

I just sent this email to a bunch of my Penguin buddies:

Your boys just lost to the Rochester Americans, who happened to be playing in front of the Sabres back-up goaltender. I wonder if that is better or worse than getting run out of the building by the Caps?

For what it's worth you guys have an OK team with a little bit of potential. But looking at just 1 goal on 50 shots, it's pretty clear you need to add some speed to your wings and pick up at least a couple guys with some finishing skills. You've got a bunch of pretty solid role players (the Crosby kid is at least a reliable mucker) but if you don't add some legitimate stars to that mix you'll never get anywhere in the playoffs........

I just sent this email to a bunch of my Penguin buddies:

Your boys just lost to the Rochester Americans, who happened to be playing in front of the Sabres back-up goaltender. I wonder if that is better or worse than getting run out of the building by the Caps?

For what it's worth you guys have an OK team with a little bit of potential. But looking at just 1 goal on 50 shots, it's pretty clear you need to add some speed to your wings and pick up at least a couple guys with some finishing skills. You've got a bunch of pretty solid role players (the Crosby kid is at least a reliable mucker) but if you don't add some legitimate stars to that mix you'll never get anywhere in the playoffs........

That's almost like sending it to a *pats fan after a Bills win.

Buffalo's goalie was their best player. Okposo was their best forward. Foligno was the most courageous player for them. He was battered and bruised and still kept pushing.

The Penguins were obviously the better team but the Sabres played hard and were gritty. This depleted team deserved this win.

The three on three overtime period was fantastic!

Nilsson should be starting. That's a good news/bad news thing. It's good you find a good goalie. It's bad (for your GM) that it's not the guy you traded a first round pick for.

I want to choke the guy in the front row in the green bodysuit.

Sit the !@#$ down!

Yeah, that shtick was funny the first 12,000 times it was done. Why the hell do the ushers let people do that? (And for those who missed it, a d-bag in a bright green body suit sitting by the glass got up to dance wildly every time the puck, and the camera, was in his end. I'm sure the people who paid over $100 for their seats appreciated it.)