Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Wasn't Marner picked 2 spots after Eichel?

Not necessarily, but right now he looks pretty darn good.

That was Strome; Marner was 4 picks later.

He looks pretty damned good because he's a pretty damned good player. But he's no Eichel and he doesn't have Eichel's ceiling, either.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was Strome; Marner was 4 picks later.

He looks pretty damned good because he's a pretty damned good player. But he's no Eichel and he doesn't have Eichel's ceiling, either.

I think you are wrong on both accounts. Edited by thebug

I think you are wrong both accounts.

Was the entire scouting community wrong at the time, too? Eichel put up 56 points in his draft year, Marner went back to juniors. The only advantage Marner has is stick handling; there is simply no other facet of his game, especially as a centerman, that is on par with Eichel's. I'm confident that time will bear that out, too.

Was the entire scouting community wrong at the time, too? Eichel put up 56 points in his draft year, Marner went back to juniors. The only advantage Marner has is stick handling; there is simply no other facet of his game, especially as a centerman, that is on par with Eichel's. I'm confident that time will bear that out, too.

Time will tell, but right now it looks like the 4th overall pick is better than the 2nd IMO. If you think stick handling is his only advantage, I would question if you have even seen him play much?

Time will tell, but right now it looks like the 4th overall pick is better than the 2nd IMO. If you think stick handling is his only advantage, I would question if you have even seen him play much?

Hard to say given that Eichel hasn't played at all in his second season.

I've seen Marner play about 30 games in juniors and a half dozen games in the NHL. So yeah, I'd say stickhandling is his only advantage.

Seems like Leafs' fan bias is influencing this opinion.

Right back at yah! If Eichel was a Leaf, you guys would have him labelled as injury prone and a bust!

I've seen Marner play about 30 games in juniors and a half dozen games in the NHL. So yeah, I'd say stickhandling is his only advantage.

Well then, I have to question your "vision" then. Which by the way is one more thing he has as an advantage.

Edited by thebug

Right back at yah! If Eichel was a Leaf, you guys would have him labelled as injury prone and a bust!

Well then, I have to question your "vision" then. Which by the way is one more thing he has as an advantage.

Not after the rookie season he had while your guy was still a prospect in the minors.

If there was a proposed deal with a one for one swap, your team wouldn't say be able to yes fast enough while the Sabres would laugh hysterically.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Not after the rookie season he had while your guy was still a prospect in the minors.

If there was a proposed deal with a one for one swap, your team wouldn't say be able to yes fast enough while the Sabres would laugh hysterically.

Who cares where he was? It was junior hockey by the way. He was drafted young. Just like both Nylanders. Seems to have worked with William and you guys have done the same with Alex.

:lol: Sure!

Edited by thebug

Ah, I understand now. I didn't realize you were a Laughs fan. That explains your total lack of objectivity in the matter. I'll just cut to the chase and agree not to engage your irrationality again:

Mitch Marner and the Toronto Maple Leafs are the greatest player and team, respectively, in the history of hockey.

Now we are done.

Ah, I understand now. I didn't realize you were a Laughs fan. That explains your total lack of objectivity in the matter. I'll just cut to the chase and agree not to engage your irrationality again:

Mitch Marner and the Toronto Maple Leafs are the greatest player and team, respectively, in the history of hockey.

Now we are done.

Come on? So there is no chance that Marner ends up being better. No chance?

I guess I am wrong like last year (when you all got your panties in a bunch) when I said McD was way better than Eichel and you guys said "no they are 1 and 1A." Now you know!

It has nothing to do with being a Leafs fan.

I think this kid is going to be a superstar. You don't, that's fine but you don't have to be a dick about it.

Come on? So there is no chance that Marner ends up being better. No chance?

I guess I am wrong like last year (when you all got your panties in a bunch) when I said McD was way better than Eichel and you guys said "no they are 1 and 1A." Now you know!

It has nothing to do with being a Leafs fan.

I think this kid is going to be a superstar. You don't, that's fine but you don't have to be a dick about it.

When you want to have a grown up conversation and are able to look at things objectively let me know.

Of course there's a chance Marner will be better. I fully agree he can be a superstar and I never even came close to saying otherwise. I'd just like to wait until they are well into their respective careers before deciding that.

All anyone has to go by in the meantime is what the scouting reports all said during their amateur careers. And it was unanimous that Eichel was the much better prospect coming out. Their respective performances in their draft years proved that in the short term. Feel free to discount all that if you wish. But the ONLY thing you have to hang your hat on is an unfortunate injury that has kept Eichel from picking up where he left off last year. In the meantime, Marner has looked very good. Hurray for you. I prefer to wait until some objective data is in.

OK, now we're done.

When you want to have a grown up conversation and are able to look at things objectively let me know.

Of course there's a chance Marner will be better. I fully agree he can be a superstar and I never even came close to saying otherwise. I'd just like to wait until they are well into their respective careers before deciding that.

All anyone has to go by in the meantime is what the scouting reports all said during their amateur careers. And it was unanimous that Eichel was the much better prospect coming out. Their respective performances in their draft years proved that in the short term. Feel free to discount all that if you wish. But the ONLY thing you have to hang your hat on is an unfortunate injury that has kept Eichel from picking up where he left off last year. In the meantime, Marner has looked very good. Hurray for you. I prefer to wait until some objective data is in.

OK, now we're done.

Are you sure? Because you said last time we were done? Just want to be sure. I know you are always right! Like when you told me where Marner was drafted. So I will just take your word for everything from now on. Got it! Cheers!

Exactly why I prefaced it as such, Eichel is and will be a hell of a player, but McDavid is a generational talent just like you stated. That's exactly the point of the qualifier.

I thought we were tanking because there were two generational talents in that draft?

I thought we were tanking because there were two generational talents in that draft?

Yes, 1 and 1A. But don't listen to me, I have a lack of objectivity because I am a Leafs fan. Only Sabres fans can be objective!

Edited by thebug