Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Cap issues become less relevant if you can clear Bogosian, Gorges, Moulson, and Ennis.

That said, the need for a veteran D-man is more than palpable. I'm not opposed to getting it done by moving Kane, but I would want to feel good about a guy like Fasching or Bailey being able to step into a physical role in the top-6.

I like both Fasching and Bailey. However, I don't consider them top two line players because they are not adequate finishers. The one young player I will be closely watching with is Baptiste. He is a terrific scorer and has demonstrated that he can score in the minors. Whether he can do it with the big club is the issue.

Cap issues become less relevant if you can clear Bogosian, Gorges, Moulson, and Ennis.

How does one clear the above mentioned players? Gorges I believe has one more year on his deal? Although Bogosian is demonstrably over-paid if he can modify his gorilla game and become more of a finesse puck mover he can be useful as a third pairing defenseman. Moulson is an adequate finisher who can't skate. In hindsight that was a bad deal. With respect to Ennis he needs a fresh start somewhere else to reinvigorate his game.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think they almost have to make a run at Shattenkirk in FA.

Just think how different the top-5 D could look next season if it includes Risto, Shatty, McCabe, Antipin, and Guhle.

As I've said though, Shattenkirk will be the prize of all FA prizes, so I'd probably be prepared to settle for Karl Alzner as a consolation. More of a 2nd/3rd pair guy, but solid.

Someone is going to seriously regret signing KS to a big deal. The playoffs were an excellent indication of exactly what kind of player he is. By the end of the Pittsburgh series, he was barely a third pair defender.

Someone is going to seriously regret signing KS to a big deal. The playoffs were an excellent indication of exactly what kind of player he is. By the end of the Pittsburgh series, he was barely a third pair defender.

He was brutal in the playoffs, a liability on the ice more times than not. Maybe he was playing hurt, it is the playoffs. But that's a big leap to justify signing him to a big contract after that performance...

Edited by ricojes

I think they almost have to make a run at Shattenkirk in FA.

Just think how different the top-5 D could look next season if it includes Risto, Shatty, McCabe, Antipin, and Guhle.

As I've said though, Shattenkirk will be the prize of all FA prizes, so I'd probably be prepared to settle for Karl Alzner as a consolation. More of a 2nd/3rd pair guy, but solid.

Please God no...on both Shattenkirk and Alzner. I have never understood the love for Shattenkirk. Now, that is based more on seeing him in playoffs more than the regular season, and assuming he gets 6yr x $7m...not interested.

Alzner I like a bit more, but again depends on the term and money.

Best name in hockey though. Sounds like something George Takei wishes he did back in the day.