Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

I don't think we have all that much talent. Not really. We've got one bonafide 30-40 goal scorer in Eichel and that's about it. We have a smattering of 20-30 goal scorers in ROR, Okposo, and Reinhart, but they haven't shown that yet this season. Kane's offense is non existent. And I think our biggest problem is team speed. There's a reason we suck at pressuring the puck in the O zone and it's obvious Disco Dan has structured his forecheck to compensate. And I don't blame him for not being more confident in a defense missing two of it's top four.

But we just aren't that talented in the skill department. ROR, Eichel, and occasionally Reinhart and that's about it.

Kane and Moulson are legit 20+ goal scorers that you have forgotten about or have chosen to dismiss.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kane and Moulson are legit 20+ goal scorers that you have forgotten about or have chosen to dismiss.

I've dismissed Moulson, who is an albatross in 5 on 5 situations and Kane's offense has completely disappeared.

I've dismissed Moulson, who is an albatross in 5 on 5 situations and Kane's offense has completely disappeared.

He's an albatross on a 30 goal pace and I'm giving Kane time to round into form and play on a consistent line once Eichel is back before I write him off.

He's an albatross on a 30 goal pace and I'm giving Kane time to round into form and play on a consistent line once Eichel is back before I write him off.

6 of Moulson's 7 goals have come on the PP and you are far more optimistic than I am that he is gonna realize 25 power play goals this season. I'll be surprised if Kane skates with Eichel too often after last year's experiment; him and Jack both want the puck on their stick. Sure, there's still time for him to find his game, but we are a quarter of the way in already and 20 will be difficult for him I think.

But none of that addresses our main weakness which is team speed.

6 of Moulson's 7 goals have come on the PP and you are far more optimistic than I am that he is gonna realize 25 power play goals this season. I'll be surprised if Kane skates with Eichel too often after last year's experiment; him and Jack both want the puck on their stick. Sure, there's still time for him to find his game, but we are a quarter of the way in already and 20 will be difficult for him I think.

But none of that addresses our main weakness which is team speed.

The only real speed on the team among the forward group as it's currently built is Kane and Eichel. Kane scored 20 in just 65 games last season, so I'm not really worried about him. I'm not optimistic, but it's hard to make any judgments with so many guys out of the lineup. I'd rather wait and see how they play at full strength.

But we just aren't that talented in the skill department. ROR, Eichel, and occasionally Reinhart and that's about it.

I think you could also add #55 to that list as well as Okposo's outstanding hands. Ennis has a few 20 goal seasons also (although I think we've probably seen the last of them).

I'm a little more optimistic about what we're going to see from these kids when they're healthy. They'll have two good lines backed by a solid checking line, two good defensive pairings, a very good goalie rotation and probably the most professional coaching we've seen anywhere in Buffalo in a long time. In a watered down league that really only has a small handful of truly good teams, these guys should be able to play with just about anybody once they finally have some time to work together. If they can keep their noses above water for another month or so I can see them building the kind of momentum that not only gets them in the postseason, but actually winning a series if they can avoid the #8 (and maybe also the #6) seed.

The only real speed on the team among the forward group as it's currently built is Kane and Eichel. Kane scored 20 in just 65 games last season, so I'm not really worried about him. I'm not optimistic, but it's hard to make any judgments with so many guys out of the lineup. I'd rather wait and see how they play at full strength.

Problem with Kane is his style of play. I don't see him ever playing a full season the way he takes runs at guys. Has a lot of skill but takes himself out of the play and takes himself out of games because of the way he plays.

4-2 Leafs over Washington....

Did I mention MM? He was pretty good.

Braden Holtby said "we were embarrassed by a young team."

they are fun to watch. At dinner , the place had some stupid college football game on,we requested to watch Leafs...this as a diehard Sabre fan..in downtown buffalo. :sick:

What can you do..they are better and way more entertaining than the Sabres right now. Hopefully that changes, but i think it is bigger than just the injuries.

they are fun to watch. At dinner , the place had some stupid college football game on,we requested to watch Leafs...this as a diehard Sabre fan..in downtown buffalo. :sick:

What can you do..they are better and way more entertaining than the Sabres right now. Hopefully that changes, but i think it is bigger than just the injuries.

Surprised they didn't kick you out! :)

Problem with Kane is his style of play. I don't see him ever playing a full season the way he takes runs at guys. Has a lot of skill but takes himself out of the play and takes himself out of games because of the way he plays.

You succinctly describe the issues that prevent Kane from realizing his potential. He has the physical talents to be successful but he doesn't know how to translate those talents into a more refined style of play. He plays as if he is in the juniors where physical abilities alone are enough to prevail in that type of setting. That type of mostly physical and little intelligence approach to the game in highest ranks in the sport is not going to work, and will never work.

There comes a point when a player is not receptive to coaching and team play he will inevitably be moved. Then another team will become infatuated with his raw talents and take a chance on him. Then the "get him out of here" process will repeat itself. If Kane doesn't soon change his mind-set he is going to be a vagabond player who eventually may see the light when his career is past his prime.

The Sabres are not loaded with scoring talent. It's exasperating to watch a needed player squander his talents and hurt/not help the team he is on.

@JourdonLaBarber

#Sabres lines at practice:

Moulson-ROR-Okposo

Kane-Eichel-Reinhart

Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

Carrier-Grant-Girgensons

So much for my theory regarding Kane and Eichel. That experiment failed last year so lets hope Kane can stand to play without the puck because it would be, as Rob Ray would say, "luderous" for Eichel to have to adjust his game in that regard.