• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good read by John Kryk

Bills stadium? Not so fast

http://blogs.canoe.com/krykslants/nfl/new-bills-stadium-not-so-fast/

With contentious new-stadium talk swirling again around Buffalo and Bills,

a reminder of what guides and constrains that process — and why building

later rather than sooner could cost Erie County taxpayers tens of millions

Only contentious talk is being generated by media - a class he is member of.

I'll call my shot. I won't be a Bills season ticket holder by the time a new stadium is built. I'll be 49 this year and I don't see me making the trek past 60. Having a hard time picturing everything coming together in 11 - 12 years. Location, funding, blueprints, workforce, time to build, I'd be shocked if it's ready in my season ticket lifetime.

How negative! The new stadium will come together right after the new Peace Bridge

You can buy seasons until 70 and still be in O Park LOL

Niagara Falls is not so silly.

It is. I can see it possible out in wheatfield or something... but then you ask: why?.

In the city of niagara falls there is a silly idea. Due to the unchangeable geography, game day traffic would be gridlock and would cost several hundreds of millions of dollars before you even break ground on a stadium. Then factor in the fact that you cant build a hot dog stand up there without corrupt government obstruction. I dont see why anyone would even begin to go down that path. Plus, erie county wouldnt allow the bills to even begin planning this until 2023.

Edited by May Day 10

I seriously doubt they throw more money in renovations. 2023 is most likely timetable. The real question is what will be the % of public vs. private funding?

Destinations like Vegas and San Diego have the luxury of increasing hotel taxes, etc. so the residents don't see any increase in taxes. Buffalo doesn't have that luxury.

• 2 weeks later...

And yet another conversation from Shutdown corner

John Mara said in March. "But there’s a growing disparity in income between the top quartile teams and the bottom quartile teams, and that’s something we have to be conscious of for which a new stadium will not cure."

Since in proper grammar you do not end a sentence with the word "of" I finished his sentence for him.

Of course Buffalo will never get a Superbowl, like Jiants/Jest were given, but they can dangle that thought over the desperate heads as well.

Since in proper grammar you do not end a sentence with the word "of" I finished his sentence for him.

Of course Buffalo will never get a Superbowl, like Jiants/Jest were given, but they can dangle that thought over the desperate heads as well.

So, what you're saying is: it can happen in Minneapolis, but *not* Buffalo?

Why is that exactly?

From the rumblings the past few days.... it is pretty out in the open that the Pegulas are actively researching and studying the options. Just seemed more concrete than in the past.

I do like how Pegula seems to recognize that the Buffalo market is not Atlanta or San Fran (or even Minneapolis). I do think we are a unique situation and that needs to be taken into account. We dont have as much high-end clientele of a lot of other places and our fans will probably be more interested in the game atmosphere as opposed to cigar lounges and such.

I believe we should have renovated the old thread.

Are you willing to pay for the PSL to do so? It is so difficult to get government funding ...

From the rumblings the past few days.... it is pretty out in the open that the Pegulas are actively researching and studying the options. Just seemed more concrete than in the past.

I do like how Pegula seems to recognize that the Buffalo market is not Atlanta or San Fran (or even Minneapolis). I do think we are a unique situation and that needs to be taken into account. We dont have as much high-end clientele of a lot of other places and our fans will probably be more interested in the game atmosphere as opposed to cigar lounges and such.

They should go Green Bay Packers model with Hall of Fame but go one step further incorporating virtual reality. The Bills fans (most) have shown they are fans who know the difference between the Wine and Cheese amenities and the amenities they want.

This should be a dead thread, pardon me if I keep it going. Blame Combo, or Ice or some other long gone poster.

This comment from Kim Pegula:

“We want to make sure we have all the information that is relative to our community, to our fan base. We’re not Atlanta, so it’s hard for us to say we’re going to build a stadium like Atlanta. We can’t. It’s not just a yes or no, it’s a lot more involved than that. We don’t talk about it now because we don’t have all the answers and we don’t want to get misconstrued because things change.”

Three sentences, in an interview format, so succinctly addressed a complex and emotional issue.

She is a force. The most under-rated owner.

This should be a dead thread, pardon me if I keep it going. Blame Combo, or Ice or some other long gone poster.

This comment from Kim Pegula:

Three sentences, in an interview format, so succinctly addressed a complex and emotional issue.

She is a force. The most under-rated owner.

The "Anti-Jerruh".

Isn't this from an old report based on a person who wanted to build the stadium on the outer harbor as part of a bigger development project? I'm not buying it. It seems like a proposal to the council would make more news than just a single blog. Just a couple weeks ago the owners, et al. spoke of nothing being imminent. I can't see a project being put forth so soon after such definitive statements. Unless it's a plan presented by an entity with nothing to do with Bills ownership. Which makes it even more worthless.

I would love it if it were something the Pegula's were presenting and it was true, but I don't think so.

Edited by purple haze

Should the Bills build a new stadium, or extensively renovate the Ralph like what Chicago did in 2002?

1. Would they move the stadium away from the snow belt and move downtown?
  2. Where would they play home games during the renovation?
  3. Is a retractable roof a possibility in either renovation or new build?
  4. How much would an extensive renovation cost compared to a new stadium?
  5. Would the state or NFL help fund the stadium?

I like the idea of a state of the art multi-use facility. However since the NFL is pushing us to get a new stadium then RENNOVATE, shove it NFL.

Every new stadium has a gimmick... What would the Bills stadium gimmick be?

Ex: Jerryworld has a giant TV and Arizona has a retractable field.

the Jills? :D

I'll call my shot. I won't be a Bills season ticket holder by the time a new stadium is built. I'll be 49 this year and I don't see me making the trek past 60. Having a hard time picturing everything coming together in 11 - 12 years. Location, funding, blueprints, workforce, time to build, I'd be shocked if it's ready in my season ticket lifetime.

Beyond that I like Orchard Park as the location, it feels like home. Keep it there and get some kind of legacy agreement from the NFL to allow traditional tailgating forever and ever.

Sorry about your health, hope you make it way past that.

Don't think this is a new post. Not dated and not on the home page or on their Twitter feed. Damond is usually pretty plugged in, but I have to question this one

It was on his Twitter feed last night. That's when I stumbled across it. If it's old then disregard. That makes sense as to why I didn't see it anywhere else. Sorry about that guys!! Edited by Kirby Jackson

I am calling my shots right now:

1.) New stadium will be build downtown

2.) New stadium will be a closed facility similar to Lucas Oil Stadium.

3.) Stadium will open some time around 2022

4.) The Pegula's will pay for about half of the cost of the stadium. The NFL will kick in a portion. Delaware North will fund some of it in order to secure the vending rights. And the state and county (along with some federal funds for infrastructure upgrades) will cover the rest.

5.) This project will create hudnreds of construction jobs in WNY over the next 10 years and will be a tremendous boost to the area.

this.......except I expect an opening in 2025.

Since you have been pushing for a wine and cheese stadium for many months does not surprise me that you posted it. Forget that road system would be inadequate and can not be expanded enough, NFTA is the same road block to many other projects and to accommodate necessary parking almost all spots which tailgaters which would not would be controlled by government agency (stadium authority, NFTA, parks) would almost nil it would be new, shiny and they could charge a PSL for it!

Since you have been pushing for a wine and cheese stadium for many months does not surprise me that you posted it. Forget that road system would be inadequate and can not be expanded enough, NFTA is the same road block to many other projects and to accommodate necessary parking almost all spots which tailgaters which would not would be controlled by government agency (stadium authority, NFTA, parks) would almost nil it would be new, shiny and they could charge a PSL for it!

Yep, you hit the nail on the head about me and my agendas!! Damond posted it last night, hadn't seen it anywhere else (which is why I provided the disclaimer) so I passed it along.

If you want to read why I believe a new stadium is necessary you can fee free to use the search button. I've weighed in extensively on the topic (often at the request of others). I don't feel the need to go round and round on the topic yet again.

You may want to accept that a new stadium means the end of tailgating as we know it...the new breed of tailgating would be at local establishments. I realize that will upset many fans, but that's just the way it is with new stadia.

As to the NFTA, well, when our firm designed an $18M building that ran across NFTA property, it was merely an issue of money.

Sure, it's a very large scale design that will involve years of work, but I can assure you that it can be done. I would imagine that AECOM could pump out a construction-level design in under 30 months; the big issues will be site/civil, geotechnical, permitting, and landscape architecture (including stormwater management). Some of that stuff can be handled concurrent to the stadium design, but some will require another 6-12 months of coordination after the actual design is in place. It's probably a 24-month construction at minimum, so for a stadium to open in 2022, it would need to be under preliminary design by next summer.

Regarding Kirby, my friendly advice is to listen to what he has to say on this topic. As far as I know, he's the only one on this board that has dealt with this exact issue from the business side. You don't need to agree with him, but the man knows what he's talking about.

Regarding Kirby, my friendly advice is to listen to what he has to say on this topic. As far as I know, he's the only one on this board that has dealt with this exact issue from the business side. You don't need to agree with him, but the man knows what he's talking about.

I listen but do not agree; as I state I think his attitude aligns with his business interests; only source I have is an architect who has been asked to consult on a number of stadiums.

I listen but do not agree; as I state I think his attitude aligns with his business interests; only source I have is an architect who has been asked to consult on a number of stadiums.

I listen, and I do agree with Kirby, because it makes sense and he has some background on this topic. I don't believe in any way that it aligns with HIS business interests, it's just the way it is. I love the Ralph, but I seriously doubt it's the long term solution. If you take out all the personal and emotional factors, it makes more sense for the Bills and the NFL to move on at some point down the road.

I try to be a realist here. I honestly could care less what happens with the stadium. I still have my season tickets and travel up as often I can. My best childhood memories are there.

With that being said, from a business standpoint, a renovation isn't realistic. I've given my reasons a thousand times but the gist is the sense of ownership associated with people's seats. The long story short is that the best locations, need to be paired with the best amenities and in turn the highest price. That's not the case now and can't happen without a clean slate. The alternative revenue opportunities that come with a new stadium are too appealing for the team to consider anything else. Just being real...

Heres a good read on what the Braves did to Cobb County to get their new stadium.

Deadspin ‏@Deadspin 48s49 seconds ago

The Braves are going to ridiculous lengths to squeeze every dime out of Cobb County: http://deadsp.in/wlfSIsr

Umm...... I live in Cobb County.

I have mixed emotions, but that was a pretty biased group of articles. The facts may have been correct, but the angry slant almost made it annoying to read. The new stadium is less than 3 miles from my house, but in a way that my immediate area won't be affected by traffic. It's near where the ticket buyers live and surrounded by restaurants, shops and bars (as opposed to blight). I'm looking forward to the new amenities surrounding the stadium and the 365 day/year shuttle going in the area. I am NOT looking forward to game day traffic if I need to go that way (I'll need a new route to the gym). I doubt I'll feel any financial impact whatsoever. (Not that it won't exist, but I won't FEEL it at all.)

I try to be a realist here. I honestly could care less what happens with the stadium. I still have my season tickets and travel up as often I can. My best childhood memories are there.

With that being said, from a business standpoint, a renovation isn't realistic. I've given my reasons a thousand times but the gist is the sense of ownership associated with people's seats. The long story short is that the best locations, need to be paired with the best amenities and in turn the highest price. That's not the case now and can't happen without a clean slate. The alternative revenue opportunities that come with a new stadium are too appealing for the team to consider anything else. Just being real...

We all know you're going to get rich off this deal, you wine and cheeser! :D:beer:

Another detriment to the renovation option would be a temporary home. There really isn't a feasible option. You would think a renovation to satisfy the needs/wants of the owners would be pretty major and couldnt be completed during off-seasons