Not a flattering assessment of Adolphus

I'm ok with a mid round pick being a situational pass rusher. That's an important role.

Full time starter would be great but as settling goes I'm ok with that option

I think this line of thought often gets lost in the typical post draft exuberance. People see nothing but upside as they learn about the players their team drafted and get emotionally attached to them. But the draft usually progresses from getting guys you expect to help in major roles to guys you expect to help in lesser roles to guys you don't count on, but who have traits that could push them into one of the first two categories. The 4th round is not a bad place to get a player from that second category and situational pass rushers on the DL are important to every team.

"Right Now I think Washington is a situational pass rusher with limited upside and only a small chance of ever developing into a full time starter. His technique and pad level are poor, he lacks significant anchor at the line of scrimmage, and his hand usage is really disappointing for a player with his experience. The combine revealed that Washington is not the elite athlete we hoped he was, as the lineman tested in the 20th percentile in every athletic exercise except the 40 yard dash."

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/03/07/2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report-ohio-state-dt-adolphus-washington/

This guy seems to be in love with the PJ Olympics for evaluating a player. I don't watch enough college football to have any worthwhile opinion on the critique of his technique and his pad level.

It does seem clear he's not a prototypical NT, which is one thing I personally thought Rex needed/wanted.

I don't see the logic when we REALLY need a RT and there were better DT's available. I bet Zimmer ends ups better than him.

Whatever the fluff about Rex's scheme may be, it seems most closely to align with a 3-4, in which case, wouldn't it be a NT not a RT that we need? And it seems clear that this guy is NOT a NT.

But Rex has his own ideas about what he needs, and was clearly given priority to acquire them. If the D lays an egg again this year, it will be on the Ryan Bros.

This. It seems to me that the Bills are going to use him on passing downs. It's a way to utilize and extend Kyle Williams effectiveness. I believe that Rex Ryan's defense isn't conventional and Washington's talents serves a purpose in it. I think that when it's a passing down Rex is looking to pressure right up the middle, adding Lawson and Hughes as compliments eliminating long passes in these situations. I like it, it'll be an exciting pressure defense.

I don't believe this at all. While it is true that he needs to work on stopping the run, it has been repeated over and over that the defense is predicated on keeping guys on the field and making them play multiple roles. When you rotate guys that have just one skill set, you are literally telling the offense exactly what you want to do on defense. Washington will play multiple downs and not just passing downs. Not doing that is a terrible idea. He may rotate with Kyle in order to stay fresh, but Ryan's defense does not give away where the pass rush is going to come from by rotating a guy in that specializes in that very role. Unless of course he rotates in as a decoy and an overload blitz comes from the other side of the defense.

Remember that the Ryan defense is designed to keep the offense guessing. Washington will be required to play multiple roles. You can bank on that. That being said though, yes he will also be given opportunities to rush the passer. Just not as a situational(3rd down) rusher.

Edited by Rockinon

I don't believe this at all. While it is true that he needs to work on stopping the run, it has been repeated over and over that the defense is predicated on keeping guys on the field and making them play multiple roles. When you rotate guys that have just one skill set, you are literally telling the offense exactly what you want to do on defense. Washington will play multiple downs and not just passing downs. Not doing that is a terrible idea. He may rotate with Kyle in order to stay fresh, but Ryan's defense does not give away where the pass rush is going to come from by rotating a guy in that specializes in that very role. Unless of course he rotates in as a decoy and an overload blitz comes from the other side of the defense.

Remember that the Ryan defense is designed to keep the offense guessing. Washington will be required to play multiple roles. You can bank on that. That being said though, yes he will also be given opportunities to rush the passer. Just not as a situational(3rd down) rusher.

& yet it is something that all teams do. If you don't expect situational substitutions you will be disappointed. If Rex does not use situational substitutions on both offense and defense then we will all be disappointed.

& yet it is something that all teams do. If you don't expect situational substitutions you will be disappointed. If Rex does not use situational substitutions on both offense and defense then we will all be disappointed.

True, but I am trying to prevent people from pigeon-holing our new recruits. We need to give them an opportunity to grow and not just say this is what he does and leave it at that. I'm also trying to get people to think of other possibilities. Gotta keep it interesting. Can't have the board turning dull, unimaginative and boring.

True, but I am trying to prevent people from pigeon-holing our new recruits. We need to give them an opportunity to grow and not just say this is what he does and leave it at that. I'm also trying to get people to think of other possibilities. Gotta keep it interesting. Can't have the board turning dull, unimaginative and boring.

One of the things Whaley and Rex have is flexibility on the line with Kyle and Dareus and now S Lawson and Washington. So I would like to think the main reason to get them off the field would be to give a breather to.

It might take some time for Wash and Lawson to get dialed in. But they both have enough potential for 3 downs and situational football.

so i agree, don't pigeon hole any of them at this point.

A lot of times how they grow is getting those reps playing to their strengths while they get used to the speed/athleticism

There isn't a single team in the league that added 3 starters on defense in a single draft, and that includes us, regardless of Whaley's statement.

Adolphus has never played a single snap against an NFL lineman, and judging things like leverage and pad level are meaningless against college blockers.

It's why we have camp, and also why its impossible to make any type of meaningful analysis until the hitting starts.

We got a runner, a backup qb, and 3 defensive players that are locks to make the team. That's pretty awesome, and thats about all we know at this point.

Listenbee might crack the top 53, but if he doesn't, keep in mind how many 6th round WR's ever do.

What did 'they' say about Kyle when he was drafted?

http://www.scout.com/nfl/story/462369-nfl-draft-scouting-report-kyle-williams

Full Name: Kyle Williams School: LSU

Ht: 6-1 Wt: 295 40: 5.25 Yr: 4Sr

Pos: Hard working, scrappy defender who plays with good fundametals. Quick off the snap, gets leverage on opponents and displays solid hand technique. Tenacious, goes hard until the whistle blows and chases to get involved in the action. Displays an array of moves getting off blocks. Makes plays laterally up and down the line of scrimmage.

Neg: Not strong at the point and driven off the ball by opponents. Marginal skills as a pass rusher.

Analysis: A high revving defender, Williams' ability to get leverage on opponents gives him an upper hand. May never be a starter at the next level yet his tenacity and approach to the game will find him a spot on an NFL roster.

Edited by Xanthos

http://www.scout.com/nfl/story/462369-nfl-draft-scouting-report-kyle-williams

Full Name: Kyle Williams School: LSU

Ht: 6-1 Wt: 295 40: 5.25 Yr: 4Sr

Pos: Hard working, scrappy defender who plays with good fundametals. Quick off the snap, gets leverage on opponents and displays solid hand technique. Tenacious, goes hard until the whistle blows and chases to get involved in the action. Displays an array of moves getting off blocks. Makes plays laterally up and down the line of scrimmage.

Neg: Not strong at the point and driven off the ball by opponents. Marginal skills as a pass rusher.

Analysis: A high revving defender, Williams' ability to get leverage on opponents gives him an upper hand. May never be a starter at the next level yet his tenacity and approach to the game will find him a spot on an NFL roster.

nice! I'd say he found a spot on an NFL roster alright. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think this line of thought often gets lost in the typical post draft exuberance. People see nothing but upside as they learn about the players their team drafted and get emotionally attached to them. But the draft usually progresses from getting guys you expect to help in major roles to guys you expect to help in lesser roles to guys you don't count on, but who have traits that could push them into one of the first two categories. The 4th round is not a bad place to get a player from that second category and situational pass rushers on the DL are important to every team.

? Wasn't Adolphus Washington our 3rd round pick? Cardale Jones in the 4th?

Yes, he did.

Yolo, since you are a Buckeyes fan, what is your take on this assessment of Washington?

i talked a lot about him in the original Adolphus thread. I think he will be a good to great pass rusher in the NFL. The OSU defense was really built to stop the passing game. Their LBs were good against the run but if even one went out it was obvious. Adolphus eats QBs, that's what he does. He's the prototypical 5-technique with his size. He will need to get a little better against the run to play 3-4 DE but with all the sub packages, as a rotational pass rusher and perhaps eventual replacement for Kyle, he's a strong pick in the 3rd. He will need some development as all rookies do, very few walk on the field a finished product as a rookie. People forget he was a 1st team all American, though. He's a good player and I think a good fit for our scheme. Edited by YoloinOhio

This guy seems to be in love with the PJ Olympics for evaluating a player. I don't watch enough college football to have any worthwhile opinion on the critique of his technique and his pad level.

It does seem clear he's not a prototypical NT, which is one thing I personally thought Rex needed/wanted.

Whatever the fluff about Rex's scheme may be, it seems most closely to align with a 3-4, in which case, wouldn't it be a NT not a RT that we need? And it seems clear that this guy is NOT a NT.

But Rex has his own ideas about what he needs, and was clearly given priority to acquire them. If the D lays an egg again this year, it will be on the Ryan Bros.

could use a true NT but they are going the way of the FB so not a huge need. I Don't know why they picked Washington he seems very weak and like to get overwhelmed in the NFL, hopefully he overcomes this but I would have went with Matt Ioanidas who would make a great 5tech DE.

The thing to remember is that he's a 3RD ROUND PICK!!!! I think you draft for potential 3 years down the road in the 3rd and below. Each round you need to afford more risk, and draft for long-term upside because that's how you have to look at those players. Obsessing over taking a DL over an OL in the 3rd round because it was an immediate need is absolutely insane. Chill, dude.

Anyone further interested in being depressed should read the Buffalo Rumblings post-draft scouting report on Washington. It appears well-researched and is pretty negative. Sorry Doug, no day one starter here. Situational pass rusher which is ok, we needed that too. But everyone should temper their enthusiasm on this guy,

Anyone further interested in being depressed should read the Buffalo Rumblings post-draft scouting report on Washington. It appears well-researched and is pretty negative. Sorry Doug, no day one starter here. Situational pass rusher which is ok, we needed that too. But everyone should temper their enthusiasm on this guy,

Untill they hit the field.........

WEO

In all seriousness.....wtf do you expect him to say?

Seriously? What should a GM say about a somewhat raw 3rd rounder with well-discussed questions about his skills? How about anything but "game one starter"?

Why must that be the only option for him to describe this guy as such right after the draft? Your comment doesn't make much sense. Why put that kind of pressure on him?

willie henry was the better choice.

Love that guy

WEO

In all seriousness.....wtf do you expect him to say?

LOL agreed. Somebody with time on their hands.. like me, watch the Michigan St. game. Washington is consistently pushed off the line of scrimmage on run plays.... consistently. In other games he showed VERY good moves to get to the passer. No, I'm not a scout, just an ex-coach of 17 years. LB's not D-Line, so again, not saying I'm an expert. Just sayin' there is a lot of teaching needed.

Seriously? What should a GM say about a somewhat raw 3rd rounder with well-discussed questions about his skills? How about anything but "game one starter"?

Why must that be the only option for him to describe this guy as such right after the draft? Your comment doesn't make much sense. Why put that kind of pressure on him?

So you expect him to say "well....Washington has some potential but will need to be coached up"

You REALLY expect the GM to say that when we also need OT help....WR help....etc etc

Just because he didnt say what you WANTED him to say?

1 - You might be right and Washington might be John McCargo

2 - That makes absolutely no difference when the GM is talking to the media....his JOB after the draft is to talk up his picks (by the way.....EVERY GM IN THE LEAGUE DOES THAT......

He did the same thing with Goodwin.....raved about him after the draft.

If a GM cant justify his picks after a draft he will not be GM for long

So you expect him to say "well....Washington has some potential but will need to be coached up"

You REALLY expect the GM to say that when we also need OT help....WR help....etc etc

Just because he didnt say what you WANTED him to say?

1 - You might be right and Washington might be John McCargo

2 - That makes absolutely no difference when the GM is talking to the media....his JOB after the draft is to talk up his picks (by the way.....EVERY GM IN THE LEAGUE DOES THAT......

He did the same thing with Goodwin.....raved about him after the draft.

If a GM cant justify his picks after a draft he will not be GM for long

i feel like this is a bit dramatic. you often see GMs say that they think guys can become impact players with the right work instead of declaring them day 1 starters.

that would be plenty of justification if you arent looking at the selection through crazy glasses (in which case what does it matter if he says a guy is more polished and ready day 1 or a higher upside project).

Love that guy

LOL agreed. Somebody with time on their hands.. like me, watch the Michigan St. game. Washington is consistently pushed off the line of scrimmage on run plays.... consistently. In other games he showed VERY good moves to get to the passer. No, I'm not a scout, just an ex-coach of 17 years. LB's not D-Line, so again, not saying I'm an expert. Just sayin' there is a lot of teaching needed.

I watched his clips from that game on draft breakdown - seems to me MSU was not shy about sending two guys his way. I like to see the opposing coaching staff pay that much attention to someone. On the other hand I thought it was odd that they singled Bosa a lot even though they had Conklin and Bosa did not impress me.

I like Washington because I do not think Rex will have him catching blockers - something he doesn't do well yet. I think he will be calling a lot of stunts for him as the LDE because he seems to do that well. We drafted a run defender in Ragland and Lawson seems to stay at home well so all the interior guys can get after the qb along with Hughes and to a lesser extent Lawson. Contrary to some of the noise on TBD, I don't think we've played the run well for a long time and I think adding these outdated, non-modern run stopping types are what the defense needs to balance the team talent and get the defense to the next level.

i feel like this is a bit dramatic. you often see GMs say that they think guys can become impact players with the right work instead of declaring them day 1 starters.

that would be plenty of justification if you arent looking at the selection through crazy glasses (in which case what does it matter if he says a guy is more polished and ready day 1 or a higher upside project).

Maybe Whaley is genuinely excited about his draft? Maybe he really would have pulled the trigger on Ragland at 19 for instance?

If a little hyperbole is not acceptable on draft day then when is it? What did you expect Whaley to say? That he drafted a player with no potential and that his chances of success are improbable? Expecting Whaley to declare that his third round selection was a dud before he even stepped on the field is like new parents proclaiming their baby is ugly.

The notion that Washington is going to feel added pressure because of the glowing comments the GM made about him at the draft makes little sense. Every player drafted, top to bottom, was praised by the GM when they were selected. There certainly are pressures on players selected by their respective teams. I'm confident that they have nothing to do with positive descriptions of the players and the roles they might have on the team. WEO, you are reaching here. You are reaching to the point of absurdity. Striving to be the designated curmudgeon doesn't suit you. You can do better---you usually do better. :rolleyes: