RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

I don't really love this pick.

Lawson is an edge rusher, the Jerry Hughes role. We already have Hughes!

My biggest needs for the Bills were ILB, NT, and WR. We had the best WR in the draft at making contested catches on the board, Josh Doctson. He would have replaced Robert Woods terrible 50% catch rate from last year.

We also need ILBs. Know who is a versatile linebacker who plays in the middle? Darron Lee.

I hope I end up being wrong but I feel like we could have done better.

he is a power rusher and Hughes is a speed rusher. He's different than the Huges role - he's the Mario role in this scheme. For comparison, a player like Noah Spence would fit into the Hughes role. Lawson is more like Bosa. They are similar players.

The power in Lawson's game makes him a very productive edge defender against the run. He consistently controls his opponent at the line. consistently setting the edge will give him tons of value in this defense. Additionally, he's displays great football instincts in being able to quickly diagnose the play.

The biggest question that teams try to find out with these guys is whether they love football and how passionate and relentless they are. He has no quit in his game. Once you get to the NFL and everyone has talent, these characteristics often prove to be the difference. He checks all the boxes plus he's a leader on and off the field.

Also Darron Lee has never played in the middle or as an ILB. Not to say he can't, but it's a projection that he can. If he came back this year they were going to let him play inside to get that experience, but he didn't. He is a great pick for the Jets, I like it. But he wouldn't have played in the middle for the Bills, at least not right away.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't think you can assess how Lawson is going to perform in the NFL based on his college career, especially in Rex's defense. Plus I don't think that scouts evaluate college players that way. They're looking for potential, even in the first round.

Everybody is big, strong and fast in the NFL. What separates players is their ability to adapt to the complexity and speed of the game.

It's the same with this guy. If he can adapt to the speed of the game, he'll be fine. His head is going to be spinning for a while, but it he can understand the defense and what they want him to do in it, we should have a pretty good player.

Shaq Lawson: Buffalo feels like home

shaq-lawson-feature.jpg

He was still in Chicago when he said it, but between Rex Ryan's Clemson connections to Sammy Watkins to the 'All in' motto the Bills have borrowed from his college team Shaq Lawson already feels at home with Buffalo.

Watch: Lawson Lands in Bills Lap on Day 1 (2:23)
Hear From GM Doug Whaley and Shaq Lawson himself on Buffalo selecting Lawson with the 19th overall pick of the 2016 NFL Draft.

I don't think you can assess how Lawson is going to perform in the NFL based on his college career, especially in Rex's defense. Plus I don't think that scouts evaluate college players that way. They're looking for potential, even in the first round.

Everybody is big, strong and fast in the NFL. What separates players is their ability to adapt to the complexity and speed of the game.

It's the same with this guy. If he can adapt to the speed of the game, he'll be fine. His head is going to be spinning for a while, but it he can understand the defense and what they want him to do in it, we should have a pretty good player.

You can say that for just about every player drafted

Great pick. Dave D. called him the funniest man in the draft. He's gonna be great to have in the locker room and on the field.

Another core young player to go along with Sammy, Tyrod, etc.

I stated earlier this year that he's the next Dwight Freeney. I think he's that good and could be monstrous in this defense.

I'm excited for Shaq.

Freeney is a good comparison. He's also being compared to Terrell Suggs.

Losers:

Offensive coordinators under Rex Ryan: This is the seventh straight year a Ryan-coached team has taken a defensive player in the first round. Rex gets what Rex wants.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000657483/article/winner-and-losers-broncos-nab-lynch-while-tunsil-falls

dual threat on short yardage....

he broke two tackles and picked up 4 yards after contact.

:lol::lol:

That video is great. We've all heard "he tackled him!" when a holding penalty is missed, but good God, he was literally tackled by two guys on that play, with absolutely no attempt to disguise the tackling!

:lol::w00t:

John Ledyard's Take:

19. Buffalo Bills: EDGE Shaq Lawson, Clemson

2016-nfl-draft-shaq-lawson-bend.jpg?w=15

Analysis: This is straight-up thievery. Lawson is my no. 6 overall player and an instant impact defender off the edge. Well-rounded, physical and dynamic, Lawson will beat up offensive lineman and be a fun chess piece for Rex Ryan’s defense. Huge steal.

First person narrative by Shaq

The Phone Call I Never Wanted to Get, and My Unconventional Path to the Draft

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2628857-the-phone-call-i-never-wanted-to-get-and-my-unconventional-path-to-the-draft

Great article, thanks for sharing. High character guy that is very driven. Can't beat that. Did you ever think about how many Buffalo Bills from the championship teams are still highly regarded and so intelligent? Think of all of them still in football as reporters, talk show hosts, etc....

Bucky Brooks

Steve Tasker

Marcellus Wiley

Frank Reich

anyways...

he is a power rusher and Hughes is a speed rusher. He's different than the Huges role - he's the Mario role in this scheme. For comparison, a player like Noah Spence would fit into the Hughes role. Lawson is more like Bosa. They are similar players.

The power in Lawson's game makes him a very productive edge defender against the run. He consistently controls his opponent at the line. consistently setting the edge will give him tons of value in this defense. Additionally, he's displays great football instincts in being able to quickly diagnose the play.

The biggest question that teams try to find out with these guys is whether they love football and how passionate and relentless they are. He has no quit in his game. Once you get to the NFL and everyone has talent, these characteristics often prove to be the difference. He checks all the boxes plus he's a leader on and off the field.

Also Darron Lee has never played in the middle or as an ILB. Not to say he can't, but it's a projection that he can. If he came back this year they were going to let him play inside to get that experience, but he didn't. He is a great pick for the Jets, I like it. But he wouldn't have played in the middle for the Bills, at least not right away.

Do you see Hughes and Lawson switching sides based on the formation, Lawson going strong side, with Hughes handling the weak side?

Do you see Hughes and Lawson switching sides based on the formation, Lawson going strong side, with Hughes handling the weak side?

i think Rex will take advantage of different matchups based on opponent. He had Hughes line up in a number of different ways last year and I think he will use them both to create mismatches. Edited by YoloinOhio

Very underwhelming, uninspired pick but as long as they don't use him as an excuse to pass on other pass rush prospects in this draft or future drafts it is just an isolated issue.

If you want to know what I mean......think Chris Kelsay and the years of suffering we had to endure because they adored his high motor.

Shaq is not really an NFL pass rusher at this point and as I explained in the face of the Reggie Ragnuts/Jarran Reed love the first round is about passing and stopping the pass game and true to form run gamers were all but banned from the first round.

Shaq doesn't have the bend or the frame or the long arms or handwork of a pass rusher and it shows in how he is always leaning on offensive tackles.....that's the surest way for a 260# DE to get and stay blocked in the NFL.

He is an overrated try-hard IMO and it seems like every year there are 1-2 of these types of guys that just HAVE to be selected by an NFL team because they have good character and a high motor.

My comparisons are Courtney Upshaw and Melvin Ingram.

Those are replacement level players and nothing you'd pay much for in free agency.

Ingram had something of a breakout year this year.......but he's been a 4 sack kinda guy....and he and Shaq are VERY similar athletes.......if anything Ingram might have been a bit more athletic having dropped into coverage at lot at South Carolina.

I'd love it if I am wrong and he turns into one of those players who transcends his physical ability and dominates behind the LOS.......Tamba Hali? I'll take that!!..... but on the hoof he's not that impressive and I don't really see where Mayock gets that comparison.

My pick, as always would have been a QB......Paxton Lynch was the top one there IMO.

Myles Jack was the best player in the draft IMO but I get why they passed......if the knee is that bad then so be it.......but for those who assume microfracture is a death sentence, Bruce Smith had it done and played another 10 years, was NFL DPOY etc. Great talents who are committed to the game can overcome it. Jack is a rare talent...a Sammy Watkins like talent. Jadeveon Clowney never wanted to be great. I don't think his knee is what's holding him back at this point.

With an understanding of why they passed on Lynch and Jack......I think they made a mistake passing on William Jackson........Cinci once again rakes a top 10 talent because other teams are reaching around it for need.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well said.

I'm wondering what this means for Manny. Is he relegated to a backup SLB role or does he play nickel LB with Zach Brown?

He gave tremendous effort last year, but, when Manny Lawson is a focal point of your defense you have problems.

Very underwhelming, uninspired pick but as long as they don't use him as an excuse to pass on other pass rush prospects in this draft or future drafts it is just an isolated issue.

If you want to know what I mean......think Chris Kelsay and the years of suffering we had to endure because they adored his high motor.

Shaq is not really an NFL pass rusher at this point and as I explained in the face of the Reggie Ragnuts/Jarran Reed love the first round is about passing and stopping the pass game and true to form run gamers were all but banned from the first round.

Shaq doesn't have the bend or the frame or the long arms or handwork of a pass rusher and it shows in how he is always leaning on offensive tackles.....that's the surest way for a 260# DE to get and stay blocked in the NFL.

He is an overrated try-hard IMO and it seems like every year there are 1-2 of these types of guys that just HAVE to be selected by an NFL team because they have good character and a high motor.

Those are replacement level players and nothing you'd pay much for in free agency.

Ingram had something of a breakout year this year.......but he's been a 4 sack kinda guy....and he and Shaq are VERY similar athletes.......if anything Ingram might have been a bit more athletic having dropped into coverage at lot at South Carolina.

I'd love it if I am wrong and he turns into one of those players who transcends his physical ability and dominates behind the LOS.......Tamba Hali? I'll take that!!..... but on the hoof he's not that impressive and I don't really see where Mayock gets that comparison.

My pick, as always would have been a QB......Paxton Lynch was the top one there IMO.

Myles Jack was the best player in the draft IMO but I get why they passed......if the knee is that bad then so be it.......but for those who assume microfracture is a death sentence, Bruce Smith had it done and played another 10 years, was NFL DPOY etc. Great talents who are committed to the game can overcome it. Jack is a rare talent...a Sammy Watkins like talent. Jadeveon Clowney never wanted to be great. I don't think his knee is what's holding him back at this point.

With an understanding of why they passed on Lynch and Jack......I think they made a mistake passing on William Jackson........Cinci once again rakes a top 10 talent because other teams are reaching around it for need.

My thoughts exactly. Ingram is a good comparison but you're right, Ingram is even more athletic and was used to playing coverage by the time he was drafted. Lawson is a locker room leader but not an elite athlete. I wanted Jack at that pick or if not, take the trade down opportunity. The Rex connection destroys this pick for me - they again bent to their vociferous head coach and it's costing them wins. Pisses me off.

There's our ray of sunshine

Bills GM: 'Rex is salivating' over Shaq Lawson

By way of the direct replacement theory, the Buffalo Bills were beyond thrilled to swap departed and disgruntled edge rusher Mario Williams for their first-round draft pick, Shaq Lawson.

"Very few times that you can go into a draft and have a really big need and that guy there standing out like a sore thumb is the guy you want and the guy that fills that need," general manager Doug Whaley said, via The Buffalo News. "We're extremely excited to have Shaq Lawson. We never thought he'd drop to us at 19."

My thoughts exactly. Ingram is a good comparison but you're right, Ingram is even more athletic and was used to playing coverage by the time he was drafted. Lawson is a locker room leader but not an elite athlete. I wanted Jack at that pick or if not, take the trade down opportunity. The Rex connection destroys this pick for me - they again bent to their vociferous head coach and it's costing them wins. Pisses me off.

so all the NFL scouts and analysts are wrong about Lawson? He's been consistently ranked as a top 15 talent in this draft and top 2 pass rusher with Bosa. You act as if the Bills took him only because Rex has connections to Clemson (like it is a negative) and he was some kind of reach. Clemson has incredible talent on both sides of the ball. We are lucky that he has a connection there tbh. Jmo

2016 NFL Draft: Quick-snap grades for AFC teams
The 2016 NFL Draft was filled with twists and turns few could have seen coming. While the Jets are among teams who snagged a key missing piece, which teams missed the boat?

bills_logo.jpg

Buffalo Bills

Draft pick: Shaq Lawson (No. 19 overall)

Day 1 grade: A

The skinny: Lawson isn't the physically-dominating player Mario Williams is, but he's a good find here in a draft without a lot of top-rated pass rushers. He was also the best player available, so fans should be happy with the selection.

so all the NFL scouts and analysts are wrong about Lawson? He's been consistently ranked as a top 15 talent in this draft and top 2 pass rusher with Bosa. You act as if the Bills took him only because Rex has connections to Clemson (like it is a negative) and he was some kind of reach. Clemson has incredible talent on both sides of the ball. We are lucky that he has a connection there tbh. Jmo

Yes, we are fans.....we know more than anyone.....

So why didn't he go Top 15? He's a "hair on fire" player with limited athleticism who made plays on a stacked defense. His passrush moves are non-existent - lean and push. IMO he's just a role player not an elite talent. But I guess Rex needs someone who will set the edge without complaint and won't divide the locker room.

I'd be pissed too, if I were you.

2016 NFL Draft: Quick-snap grades for AFC teams
The 2016 NFL Draft was filled with twists and turns few could have seen coming. While the Jets are among teams who snagged a key missing piece, which teams missed the boat?

bills_logo.jpg

Buffalo Bills

Draft pick: Shaq Lawson (No. 19 overall)

Day 1 grade: A

The skinny: Lawson isn't the physically-dominating player Mario Williams is, but he's a good find here in a draft without a lot of top-rated pass rushers. He was also the best player available, so fans should be happy with the selection.

Good player. Don't love or hate the pick. I keep reading reports about his explosive first step. But whenever you watch him, he is almost always a split second slower off the line than everyone else. Like he is trying too hard not to be offsides. That seems quite coachable and it would have a huge impact on his game imo.

So why didn't he go Top 15? He's a "hair on fire" player with limited athleticism who made plays on a stacked defense. His passrush moves are non-existent - lean and push. IMO he's just a role player not an elite talent. But I guess Rex needs someone who will set the edge without complaint and won't divide the locker room.

Ryans defenses also calls for DE's dropping into coverage as well. Would rather see a DE with more of a Chandler Jones skill set. Not sure about how good of a fit he is. LB's and secondary are the key to his scheme not lineman. Would rather have them go LB in the 1st.

However, Bills have done far worse in the 1st round.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Ryans defenses also calls for DE's dropping into coverage as well. Not sure about how good of a fit he is. LB's and and secondary are the key to his scheme not lineman. Would rather have them go LB.

However, Bills have done far worse in the 1st round.

He's going to play OLB.