I hope everyone realizes...

Worst case scenario. Tyrod plays Meh, the Bills finish 8-8 to 9-7. Miss the playoffs and end up drafting 19-20 again.

Tyrod wants to be paid $15-20MM which he would not be worth, the Bills would not be in a spot to draft one of the top QB's next year.

That sounds pretty freaking bad to me.

No kidding they're not drafting in the top 5 - so if that's what you want then enjoy your dream. I was speaking in terms of their situation with Tyrod and having to decide to draft a QB - so in those relative terms they're not in a bad spot. You just said it - if they finish in the 19-20 range they'll be in the same spot next year if they choose to not draft a QB in round 1-2 this year.

You really didn't think I meant great spot relative to picking first overall did you?

Edited by Triple Threat

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it really boils down how the FO feels about Tyrod. If they reasonably think he can make a big jump forward then you wait on a QB. If they really feel he has a ceiling and he's almost reached it then you have to draft one early.

If Tyrod has a similar year to last year - he'll get 18-22 million. If they draft a QB after the 4th round they have to franchise him. The Bills are in a good spot but evaluating each QB as they've done extensively is a great plan.

Similar, as in getting a pro bowl nod or similar to overall QB play? Last year the Bills fielded about the most QB friendly offense they have had in over a decade, IMHO. The Bills had a solid O-line on the left side, a decent receiving corps and they ran the ball to help set up the passing game. Plus, they ran the ball very well averaging 4.8 YPC and were the #1 rushing team in the league and had 19 rushing TD's. Still, the Bills were 31st in three down and out percentage. Conversely, they were 28th in the league in passing yardage and Taylor was ranked 23rd in yards passing.

If Tyrod has a similar year to last year while not being able to carry the team with his arm I think the team moves on from him because he was very ineffective at times in some games and every time the team needed to throw more then run that was the case. Should he show some growth in being able to carry the game with his arm then he will indeed get that huge contract. That inability to carry games when the run game wasn't working is what caused the Bills to wait a year to pay him and to look for another QB.

That 31st in 3rd down and out is why I hope the Bills spend an early round pick on a RT and in particular I kinda doubt they want to go forward paying Glenn 13.7 mill or even 11+ mill per. Then the RT situation in Buffalo is still rather Iffy.

Should make for an interesting draft.

That of all the QBs discussed in this draft we'll be lucky if one capable starter emerges. That's just the reality. Every year we talk like there are 4-5-6 viable options and most of these guys are selling cars within 2 years.

That said do you really want the Bills to pass on a player who can realistically contribute to pick what is essentially a lottery ticket? I don't.

"we'll be lucky if one capable starter emerges"

i don't think we'll be lucky, thats about the expected value - i'd put the over/under at 1.5 "capable starters"

Similar, as in getting a pro bowl nod or similar to overall QB play? Last year the Bills fielded about the most QB friendly offense they have had in over a decade, IMHO. The Bills had a solid O-line on the left side, a decent receiving corps and they ran the ball to help set up the passing game. Plus, they ran the ball very well averaging 4.8 YPC and were the #1 rushing team in the league and had 19 rushing TD's. Still, the Bills were 31st in three down and out percentage. Conversely, they were 28th in the league in passing yardage and Taylor was ranked 23rd in yards passing.

If Tyrod has a similar year to last year while not being able to carry the team with his arm I think the team moves on from him because he was very ineffective at times in some games and every time the team needed to throw more then run that was the case. Should he show some growth in being able to carry the game with his arm then he will indeed get that huge contract. That inability to carry games when the run game wasn't working is what caused the Bills to wait a year to pay him and to look for another QB.

That 31st in 3rd down and out is why I hope the Bills spend an early round pick on a RT and in particular I kinda doubt they want to go forward paying Glenn 13.7 mill or even 11+ mill per. Then the RT situation in Buffalo is still rather Iffy.

This is a bit of cherry picking on some things here.....if your gonna be a run the ball dominant team then your not going to have high passing yardage.

Still.....I do hope that the bills open it up and have more balance this year so that Tyrod can prove he can do it before getting the 18 plus milllion a year contract.....

I think the bills are playing it right.

The part you're missing is that a projection is needed now on what the FO foresees Tyrod doing this year in terms of progression. That decision should dictate whether a QB is taken in round 1 or 2 IMO. They can already reasonably assume he'll get 18-20 mil if he has a similar season or tagged - if he plays better statistically he'll get 20-22 mil. The decision on whether he's worth that should also be considered prior to determining if they take a QB. Once that decision is made and I think it already has - I believe we'll know based on the draft results.

It's interesting indeed.

The part you're missing is that a projection is needed now on what the FO foresees Tyrod doing this year in terms of progression. That decision should dictate whether a QB is taken in round 1 or 2 IMO. They can already reasonably assume he'll get 18-20 mil if he has a similar season or tagged - if he plays better statistically he'll get 20-22 mil. The decision on whether he's worth that should also be considered prior to determining if they take a QB. Once that decision is made and I think it already has - I believe we'll know based on the draft results.

It's interesting indeed.

Good posting T T.

I too think Bills know where Tyrod can take them.

And he does not have to supersize it to be successful under Roman, just improve and execute in his second year and first year as recognized starter.

Interesting Draft days Indeed.

What ? OP wants to pay him by the billions. We've already waited too long and are doomed.

and this is also true.

have no hope and there will be no dreams destroyed

Let me step in. I am in favor of locking up Taylor now if possible in a cap-friendly way. Flame away.

No kidding. Wasn't getting to this statement your whole point when you started the thread? At least you didn't start this one with "Tyrod's feeling will be hurt if we don't pay him now!" My first thought upon reading the original post was "I wonder how long it'll take for Promo to get to his 'Pay Tyrod' conclusion?" Your premise that there'll be only one and only one quality QB in the draft is ridiculous by the way. Could be zero. Could be several. Could be one. Every draft is a snowflake. Every QB prospect has to be evaluated on their own merits. But, dude, please put this on the shelf. Come back and I-told-you-so us to death if the current tact blows up on the Bills and Taylor moves on and is a stud elsewhere. We'll remember your stance, honest.

Let me step in. I am in favor of locking up Taylor now if possible in a cap-friendly way. Flame away.

Alright well perhaps I stand corrected. I did not gather this from your original post.

There is no such thing as locking Taylor up to a contract that would meet his market value (think Brock Osweiler's 4 years, $72 million + a whole lot more) in a "cap-friendly" way right now. Thanks to Terry Pegula owning the Bills, they are actually up against the cap for once. Everybody understands this. If he plays well next year, they'll make it work. The key point here is that the Bills hold all the leverage. They can always just franchise him. I kind of feel like the adamantly pro-Taylor people, the optimistic but wait-and-see types (like me and 95% of Bills fans- you know, the people that Ryan L Billz refers to as "fanboys") and the five guys who inexplicably hate him, all understand and agree on this.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Why not? He's already pretty mad he's playing for peanuts. He could just demand a trade because he's so mad.

You could DEMAND a trade. But that's not how contracts work.

Reminds me of a movie quote "Everyone needs money, that's why they call it money." That short Italian guy.. what's his name?

And from the press I've seen, TT isn't mad.

Good posting T T.

I too think Bills know where Tyrod can take them.

And he does not have to supersize it to be successful under Roman, just improve and execute in his second year and first year as recognized starter.

Interesting Draft days Indeed.

Thanks and you too. Interesting that you bring up Roman which I think is part of the evaluation process. I think the Bills have to make sure that it's not just Roman's system that's making Tyrod successful - and that he's actually developing into an NFL QB. I think the FO has to be conscious that Roman wants to be a head coach and you can't be left with a QB that can't transition to a new OC. Similar to what may have happened to Kaep. There's a lot to think about when determining whether to give out that top 15 QB money.

My hunch is the same as yours - that the Bills and certainly Rex (however long he stays) are Tyrod believers and the contract thing is we're going to wait but we think he'll step up.

Thanks and you too. Interesting that you bring up Roman which I think is part of the evaluation process. I think the Bills have to make sure that it's not just Roman's system that's making Tyrod successful - and that he's actually developing into an NFL QB. I think the FO has to be conscious that Roman wants to be a head coach and you can't be left with a QB that can't transition to a new OC. Similar to what may have happened to Kaep. There's a lot to think about when determining whether to give out that top 15 QB money.

My hunch is the same as yours - that the Bills and certainly Rex (however long he stays) are Tyrod believers and the contract thing is we're going to wait but we think he'll step up.

You have pointed out another factor to the equation that even I forget sometimes. Roman and his tenure with the Bills.

Important feature for sure .

little secret, if Rex Ryan's defense goes 8-8 again and the offense improves even slightly , guess who Pegula is talking to Whaley about.

I suspect it will not come to that though. Always gotta have a plan B and C.

On the other side of the coin , maybe Roman has reached his ceiling. haha !

Just because Buffalo has been risk averse taking QB's for the better part of 20 years doesn't mean it's right. Of course there's risk a player won't work out. EJ was a bust and everyone seems to understand that. OTOH, not taking a QB guarantees you don't have anyone.

Tyron may be their guy or he could regress. Doesn't mean you don't take one because the player might not work out.

There aren't many teams that have invested less the past 20 years in the game's most important position. It's time to change that.

Innaresting take, and I agree in part.

I looked up the drafting records of The League wrt the QB position going back to 1996. Over that time period 238 QBs were drafted1. The Bills drafted four QBs - nearly a League low2. However, the first QB drafted in that period was JP - yes, that JP in 2004.

So, I thought I would use 2004 as the "turning point" time frame to focus on. Including the 2004 draft teams have drafted an average of 4.6 QBs.

Taking that perspective, it seems The Bills are a little more mainstream these days. 5 teams have drafted fewer than 4 QBs in that time frame. 11 teams - including The Bills have drafted 4 QBs, 10 teams have drafted 5 QBs during that same period. While 4 teams have drafted 6 QBs and only the JESTS and Denver have broken the curve by drafting 8 in that 12 year period.

These are the stats of the matter:

Team	QBs Drafted from 2004 to 2015
Jacksonville	2
Dallas	2
Seattle	3
New Orleans	3
Detroit	3
Sand Diego	4
Pittsburgh	4
Oakland	4
Miami	4
Kansas City	4
Indianapolis	4
Houston	4
Giants	4
Carolina	4
Buffalo	4
Atlanta	4
Washington	5
Tennessee	5
Tampa Bay	5
San Fran	5
Philadelphia	5
Pats*	5
Minnesota	5
Cincinatti	5
Chicago	5
Arizona	5
St Louis	6
Green Bay	6
Cleveland	6
Baltimore	6
Jets	8
Denver	8

1Edit: 238 is the correct number.

2Edit: Dallas actually only drafted 3 Qbs since 1996.

I hope The Bills select a QB this year.

Edited by Nanker

You have pointed out another factor to the equation that even I forget sometimes. Roman and his tenure with the Bills.

Important feature for sure .

little secret, if Rex Ryan's defense goes 8-8 again and the offense improves even slightly , guess who Pegula is talking to Whaley about.

I suspect it will not come to that though. Always gotta have a plan B and C.

On the other side of the coin , maybe Roman has reached his ceiling. haha !

I absolutely think if Rex is in trouble they'll look Romans' way.

Here's my issue with todays coordinators - not that I blame them. They game plan instead of teach. Teaching is harder and more time consuming. There's a ticking clock for these guys to prove themselves worthy of staying an OC or becoming a head coach - and QB's suffer the most. If we look closely at this only the elite suffer very little from OC turnover. That's why the player all the more has to be special. I'm hoping Tyrod through is unusually beneficial road to learning then getting a shot - is that player that actually knows the game.

Edited by Triple Threat

I looked up the drafting records of The League wrt the QB position going back to 1996. Over that time period 238 QBs were drafted1. The Bills drafted four QBs - nearly a League low2. However, the first QB drafted in that period was JP - yes, that JP in 2004.

So, I thought I would use 2004 as the "turning point" time frame to focus on. Including the 2004 draft teams have drafted an average of 4.6 QBs.

Taking that perspective, it seems The Bills are a little more mainstream these days. 5 teams have drafted fewer than 4 QBs in that time frame. 11 teams - including The Bills have drafted 4 QBs, 10 teams have drafted 5 QBs during that same period. While 4 teams have drafted 6 QBs and only the JESTS and Denver have broken the curve by drafting 8 in that 12 year period.

Jacksonville	2
Dallas	2
Seattle	3
New Orleans	3
Detroit	3
Sand Diego	4
Pittsburgh	4
Oakland	4
Miami	4
Kansas City	4
Indianapolis	4
Houston	4
Giants	4
Carolina	4
Buffalo	4
Atlanta	4
Washington	5
Tennessee	5
Tampa Bay	5
San Fran	5
Philadelphia	5
Pats*	5
Minnesota	5
Cincinatti	5
Chicago	5
Arizona	5
St Louis	6
Green Bay	6
Cleveland	6
Baltimore	6
Jets	8
Denver	8

You know its interesting about the jets

They have been drafting a lot of QBs

They do not have a better QB situation

You would think they would be giving Bryce Petty a shot in here somewhere?

Jacksonville	2
Dallas	2
Seattle	3
New Orleans	3
Detroit	3
Sand Diego	4
Pittsburgh	4
Oakland	4
Miami	4
Kansas City	4
Indianapolis	4
Houston	4
Giants	4
Carolina	4
Buffalo	4
Atlanta	4
Washington	5
Tennessee	5
Tampa Bay	5
San Fran	5
Philadelphia	5
Pats*	5
Minnesota	5
Cincinatti	5
Chicago	5
Arizona	5
St Louis	6
Green Bay	6
Cleveland	6
Baltimore	6
Jets	8
Denver	8

Very interesting. Thanks. Does put things in perspective. I note, however, that New England, who had (and still has) the ultimate Franchise QB during this time, still drafted more QBs than the Bills did.

Jacksonville	2
Dallas	2
Seattle	3
New Orleans	3
Detroit	3
Sand Diego	4
Pittsburgh	4
Oakland	4
Miami	4
Kansas City	4
Indianapolis	4
Houston	4
Giants	4
Carolina	4
Buffalo	4
Atlanta	4
Washington	5
Tennessee	5
Tampa Bay	5
San Fran	5
Philadelphia	5
Pats*	5
Minnesota	5
Cincinatti	5
Chicago	5
Arizona	5
St Louis	6
Green Bay	6
Cleveland	6
Baltimore	6
Jets	8
Denver	8

I'm too lazy to do the research, but I would like to know in what rounds the QBs were drafted. Taking a 7th round flyer on Levi Brown is not the same vibe as using a first on EJ Manuel, just to give an example (I do not intend for this example to be a referendum on Brown or Manuel or the people who picked them).

I'm too lazy to do the research, but I would like to know in what rounds the QBs were drafted. Taking a 7th round flyer on Levi Brown is not the same vibe as using a first on EJ Manuel, just to give an example (I do not intend for this example to be a referendum on Brown or Manuel or the people who picked them).

The Bills would be 2 in the 1st (Losman, EJ), a 3rd (Edwards) and a late rounder Brown.

I assume the teams that drafted 6 or 8 QBs took a lot of late rounders.

Just eyeballing it but does anyone have more than 2 in the 1st (besides Cleveland)? Jacksonville would be 2, Minnesota 2, Bills 2 but I don't know if anyone else would have 2 in that timeframe? I haven't really gone through it but just trying to think back.

Just eyeballing it but does anyone have more than 2 in the 1st (besides Cleveland)? Jacksonville would be 2, Minnesota 2, Bills 2 but I don't know if anyone else would have 2 in that timeframe? I haven't really gone through it but just trying to think back.

Washington maybe? What year was Campbell?

And Tennessee - Mariota and Locker.

Edited by GunnerBill

The point being, one can't look at every year's draft as a uniform enterprise. Some years have better QB talent than others. (A secondary point appears to be that facts don't back up your statement)

There are facts, damn facts and facts which make my crusade seem silly and all appear applicable here.

I can't help but wonder if Rex Ryan still passionately hates the Jets and they pick 20th right after Buffalo and it's pretty much a given by many that if Paxton Lynch is still there the Jets will go for him...

At 6'7' 244 lbs and he can run like Kaepernick. I'm hearing the Dolphins want to trade up to make sure they get Zeke and the Cowboys might want him at four. Gonna be a very interesting draft.

I did not hear that Rex Ryan was promoted to GM; when did that happen?

I posted in the Kevin Hogan thread that he *reads* like the type of QB the BILLS will be looking for....but the more this whole process goes on, the more I'm thinking the BILLS go in a direction few are thinking / predicting.

Alright well perhaps I stand corrected. I did not gather this from your original post.

There is no such thing as locking Taylor up to a contract that would meet his market value (think Brock Osweiler's 4 years, $72 million + a whole lot more) in a "cap-friendly" way right now. Thanks to Terry Pegula owning the Bills, they are actually up against the cap for once. Everybody understands this. If he plays well next year, they'll make it work. The key point here is that the Bills hold all the leverage. They can always just franchise him. I kind of feel like the adamantly pro-Taylor people, the optimistic but wait-and-see types (like me and 95% of Bills fans- you know, the people that Ryan L Billz refers to as "fanboys") and the five guys who inexplicably hate him, all understand and agree on this.

There IS a way to do it but it is not a way Taylor appears to want to do it; have a large bonus option applicable in 2nd year which Bills have option to pay to keep his services. TT would get a raise but not the ridiculous, desperate Texans-style raise and if he does not live up to contract Bills do not pay option and he is free without risk of franchise tag. Of course TT could go sell cars like over half of the QBs drafted after 2 years but I was trying to stick to the facts.

NFL Did a lot of research for you ...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

No research shows that most of the these guys however are selling cars after 2 years. Maybe NFL needs to add that skill to rookie training.

That of all the QBs discussed in this draft we'll be lucky if one capable starter emerges. That's just the reality. Every year we talk like there are 4-5-6 viable options and most of these guys are selling cars within 2 years.

Belichick has masterfully worked the system to stockpile lots of valuable picks, but his execution of those picks has been underwhelming, at best. There was one sixth rounder that covered up a lot of crappy picks over the past 10 years. That Gronk pick really hurts, though.

Underwhelming? How many AFC east titles do they have in this century? Super Bowl Trips? Wins?

I'm certainly not OK with Drafting a QB at #19 or #49...But I think it enters the conversation at #80...I would rather wait till #117, but QB's get pushed up...And If you can get your pick of 3rd tier guys (I'm assuming Goff, Wentz and Lynch are tier 1...Cook and Hackenberg tier 2) at #80...You might as well do it...Because the reality is the Bills have 2 QB's with only 2016 left on their deals...It's insurance...

I do think the Bills are in a position where they should take a QB...And I think that position is a nice one for a developmental type...Outside of preseason this Draft pick will very likely not see the field in 2016...That gives the kid a full year of development...No rushing them in...I like the idea...No question it's a long-shot...But at least you take out the possibility the kid gets thrown into the fire and is completely ruined by year 2... B-)

Yeah this is my opinion, too.

I think 3rd round and after is a good spot to pick up a kid like the QB from NC State and let them sit behind EJ and Tyrod for a year. See if he can beat out Johnson.

Yeah this is my opinion, too.

I think 3rd round and after is a good spot to pick up a kid like the QB from NC State and let them sit behind EJ and Tyrod for a year. See if he can beat out Johnson.

What would be the goal of a pick in the 3rd or after?

The reality of our QB situation is we have a former first round draft pick who's paid for...for this season to be the backup. We have a guy starting while new to starting, has been in the league for a few years. And the reality is that guy.... with a great runningback, stud receiver and better OL didnt really move the W-L record over Orton and EJ. Am I thinking long and hard about putting 15 plus million into Tyrod and the no 2 minute drill combined with EJs last year. Yeah Im pumping the breaks there. You would be a fool not to think QB by at least round 4, just thinking backup for 2017.