Tyler Dunne Asks: Was the Watkins Trade Worth It?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think it's a closer question than many of you. But regardless, they drafted Sammy for a coach who ran a simple "two yards and a cloud of dust, then punt" offense, who didn't want him. And then they hired an offensive coordinator who doesn't feature his receivers. You can't look at the pick/trade in a vacuum. What's the long-term strategy? I'm still not sure...

agreed. Sammy is kind of wasted in a Rex Ryan ground pound / Greg Roman offense, but I'm glad we have him. Just imagine what a highlight reel he would already be if he was with Bruce Arians in Az. for example. . he won't resign with the Bills unless something dramatic happens at the QB position and Roman's approach evolves further... conservative offense plus great defense can win for sure, I just don't think you need a sammy watkins to do that strategy , which is what Rex and Roman are pushing --- I predict Sammy is one contract and done with the Bills , hard to imagine it playing out any other way. the kid is a generational talent at WR with a ground/pound team with average QB play in a pass favoring league full of pass oriented teams. I don't reasonably see him staying... he will get a $15m/yr from some passing team and take it

i almost don't want him to stay in hopes he gets with a pass oriented offense so I can really see his full potential play out... just sayin'... so many great talents have been wasted in schemes that don't let them play

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

conservative offense plus great defense can win for sure, I just don't think you need a sammy watkins to do that strategy

I don't agree actually. I think it is often the great passing offenses that don't need special receivers and just 3 or 4 good ones will do because of the way they are spreading the ball around.

A team that is going to be balanced on offense has a much greater need for a feature wide receiver to open things up for them in the run game and to see most of that team's targets and defeat double coverage.

The second half of last season Sammy was all of that and more.

I still think it's a closer question than many of you. But regardless, they drafted Sammy for a coach who ran a simple "two yards and a cloud of dust, then punt" offense, who didn't want him. And then they hired an offensive coordinator who doesn't feature his receivers. You can't look at the pick/trade in a vacuum. What's the long-term strategy? I'm still not sure...

I agree 100%. Similar situation with the defense too. There is little to no coherence to the talent and coaching staffs Whaley (and nix before him) have assembled. Putting together a winning team involves a lot more than identifying individually talented players.

The Browns said it wasn't worth it.

Ceooj6GUUAALtCj.jpg

Giants are glad the Bills made the deal.

I agree 100%. Similar situation with the defense too. There is little to no coherence to the talent and coaching staffs Whaley (and nix before him) have assembled. Putting together a winning team involves a lot more than identifying individually talented players.

Gilmore and Darby said. :lol: :lol:

It's still very early, but currently it looks like last years draft class was a bit of a dud, especially outside of the top 10. Marcus Peters went #18, right before our pick, Lockett made the Pro Bowl as a returner, but very few if any guys stand out between 19 and our pick in the 2nd round that I'd rather have over Darby.

ODB is obviously the elephant in the room on this question, unavoidable to discuss in review, but Watkins for Justin Gilbert / Cam Erving might go down as one of the most lopsided draft deals in recent history.

In my opinion kind of a stupid question at this point. It's been 2 seasons, the guy is 22 right now -has played with Kyle Orton and a first year starter in Tyrod. This trade wasn't just about 2014-2015, he's gonna be unstoppable.

giants are 12-22 last 2 seasons with the same qb throwing it 1229 times

bills are 17-15 last 2 seasons with three starting qb's throwing it 1044 times

It helps having a HOF QB.

Watkins would put up identitcal numbers as OBJ if he was with the Giants, IMO.

I would find it astonishing if Sammy didn't put up better numbers if he were in Beckham's place--he's done more with fewer targets from what appears to be a lesser QB.

it's over picks have been paid the Bills have a true #1. The chatter if he was worth it, observations Beckham so far is better aside from being a head case. Sammy will prove in time to be the guy.

IMO the trade that was not worth it is shady. Not the trade itself, the insane extension and crazy money they threw at him to make him feel wanted. Then he kisses the eagle at mid field. Time will tell but his salary is obstructive to the cap when things like depth and even some starters Are missing. Since this year cap hell exsists. bad extension. next years cap situation is nice but this year more than one good depth player was let go that with a well managed budget would still be with the team.

Giants were probably getting Beckham either way. The Bills were taking Ebron. Maybe the Lions would have taken Beckham but otherwise he probably would still be with the Giants.

Sammy is a total stud.

I think he is going to be explosive this season.

Agreed. His production in our system has been stellar. On a more pass heavy team, his numbers would be even bigger. We're just scratching the surface with him. Got to continue to get him more touches.

A BUBBLE OR TUNNEL SCREEN ONCE IN A WHILE PLEASE??

Saying the move was worth it, because if we didn't do it we'd draft bums, is an interesting argument.

I said that according to most- not according to me- we would've drafted Ebron.

I don't care who we would have drafted; Sammy Watkins is worth a 9th and a 20th pick. Any elite receiver is.

Yes it was worth it.

I've been re-reading and digesting this article for 24 hours now and still have no idea what point Lofton was trying to make with that restaurant analogy.... :huh::blink:

It makes sense to me because we have had just appetizers in Sammy's first two seasons with the main course yet to be served that will be his full talents on display. The expensive restaurant is the cost involved 1st and fourth draft choices to move up.

He has a 5 year contract if Buffalo wants to rightfully exercise the 5th year of the contract.

If only 57%, or whatever that stat is, of 1st rid picks hitting then using two 1st rd picks to insure that we get a bonafide star makes it a bit more palatable for me. Of course one cannot ignore that we also threw in a 4 th rder but I'll chalk that up to being Buffalo just being, well, just Buffalo being Buffalo. When it's all said and done I'm very happy that we made the trade now, especially that Sammy is from Fort Myers (239 baby!) and I just got done living there for the last 21+ years, it only made it sweeter.

Agreed, and that five year contract could easily become more with tags if they got into a pickle. It would be a monumental disaster if he walks after his rookie deal, and that's something the front office probably couldn't stomach. The optics alone, considering the trade to get him, would look too bad -- even if Whaley is no longer the GM by that point.

Sammy's a star in the NFL and you need star players to win consistently. That's why they paid what they did to get him and that's why I'll be stunned if he doesn't play at least two contracts in Buffalo. He'll only be 23 when camp starts... it's mind bottling to think what he's capable of as he gets more of his man-muscles.

I would find it astonishing if Sammy didn't put up better numbers if he were in Beckham's place--he's done more with fewer targets from what appears to be a lesser QB.

Agree as well. Despite the hype around OBJ, he's not as good as Sammy. He's quicker, maybe, but Sammy's bigger, stronger, faster, has better hands and runs better routes. Doesn't mean OBJ is a scrub, he's not. But even though some on here wanted to give him a gold jacket after one catch, he showed some warts in '15 that could fester if he doesn't work his ass off to get better.

I fully expect Sammy to have a better year statistically than OBJ in '16... unless the Giants get Treadwell in the draft. Maybe even then.

Probably agree.

Sammy's said a few things here and there that leaves you scratching your head, but as some posters already pointed out he became a leader on offense in the 2nd half of the year and really impressed. OBJ is an ass clown. I like the trade.

He said, give me the ball. Let me show how good I can be.

Then he backed it up

I would like to think the passing game just grows on Roman.

As TT and Watkins have now gotten some trust developed.

This could become the beginning of a beautiful relationship !

And i would also be surprised Bills if were unable to retain him for his second contract.

They got him for the long haul.

agreed. Sammy is kind of wasted in a Rex Ryan ground pound / Greg Roman offense, but I'm glad we have him. Just imagine what a highlight reel he would already be if he was with Bruce Arians in Az. for example. . he won't resign with the Bills unless something dramatic happens at the QB position and Roman's approach evolves further... conservative offense plus great defense can win for sure, I just don't think you need a sammy watkins to do that strategy , which is what Rex and Roman are pushing --- I predict Sammy is one contract and done with the Bills , hard to imagine it playing out any other way. the kid is a generational talent at WR with a ground/pound team with average QB play in a pass favoring league full of pass oriented teams. I don't reasonably see him staying... he will get a $15m/yr from some passing team and take it

i almost don't want him to stay in hopes he gets with a pass oriented offense so I can really see his full potential play out... just sayin'... so many great talents have been wasted in schemes that don't let them play

I agree. This is probably exactly why Sammy spoke up last year. Players with that skill level have a burning desire to be great and make the hall, get a ring and he sure wouldn't be doing either as a decoy for Woods / Hogan. Watkins was basically wasted under Marrone most of the time and even with TT learning as he goes also isn't the best place to put up great numbers.

It would be very interesting to see how Watkins would perform in a high powered offense with another decent top WR on the other side to help open things up. The 2015 Bills had the 28th passing offense last year and I can see him as a top five WR in a top passing offense. Sadly, under Ryan / Roman, the Bills offense simply isn't built that way.

As for resigning with Buffalo in two years, I have to wonder if Marcell Dareus's contract would have been up this offseason if he would have resigned with Buffalo or looked to be a fit in a 4-3 somewhere else. The man was vocal about how he disliked Ryan's scheme from training camp last season and I'll wager he probably isn't looking forward to playing in Ryan's 3-4 as a gap control NT.

On another note, should Ryan pull off a miracle with his defense and the Bills make the playoffs 2016 then everyone should be happy...even me! :D

The Browns said it wasn't worth it.

Ceooj6GUUAALtCj.jpg

If the Browns weren't the Browns, this could have be a franchise changing trade for them. Unfortunately for Cleveland, they blew 2 1st rounders.

It's a tough call. Watkins is a flat out stud. He has the potential to be one of the best Wrs in the league. At the same time, how many great teams are built around Wrs? I think you only pay the price is for a franchise qb.

Gun to my head, I like the known of Watkins' talent over the unknown of a draft pick. But it may have been too much for a player who plays a dependent position.

If the Browns weren't the Browns, this could have be a franchise changing trade for them. Unfortunately for Cleveland, they blew 2 1st rounders.

It's a tough call. Watkins is a flat out stud. He has the potential to be one of the best Wrs in the league. At the same time, how many great teams are built around Wrs? I think you only pay the price is for a franchise qb.

Gun to my head, I like the known of Watkins' talent over the unknown of a draft pick. But it may have been too much for a player who plays a dependent position.

The Browns continue to be one of the most dysfunctional NFL teams in the league and the epitome of how to build a continuous loser. I have no idea how their scouting dept works but If I'm the new owner I'd hire more then just a new GM.

Since 2000, the Browns have had 12 different head coaches with a minimum of 12 starting QB's. In the 90's the Browns had Bill Belichick as HC and Butch Davis and both made the playoffs. They went 10-6 under Crennel in 2007 so it must why all head coaches are not good enough and those men are the real reason the team keeps drafting bums at QB, right?

In 2000 they drafted QB Spergon Wynn in the 6th :wacko: -2004 QB Luke McCown in the 4th- 2005 QB Charlie Frye in the 3rd- 2007 QB Brady Quinn with their second 1st pick- 2010 QB Colt McCoy in the 3rd- 2012 QB Brandon Weedon with their second 1st pick after they took RB Trent Richardson with the first 1st. 2014 Johnny Manziel with their second first, and CB Justin Gilbert with their first 1st.

Perhaps this year they might finally be smart enough to use that first pick on a QB in either Wentz or Goff.

Anyway, after firing GM Ray Farmer and hiring Hue Jackson as HC the Browns are looking at a "Moneyball" type strategy. http://www.clevelandsportszone.com/2016-state-of-the-cleveland-browns-front-office-and-coaching-staff/

I have my doubts.

I agree. This is probably exactly why Sammy spoke up last year. Players with that skill level have a burning desire to be great and make the hall, get a ring and he sure wouldn't be doing either as a decoy for Woods / Hogan. Watkins was basically wasted under Marrone most of the time and even with TT learning as he goes also isn't the best place to put up great numbers.

It would be very interesting to see how Watkins would perform in a high powered offense with another decent top WR on the other side to help open things up. The 2015 Bills had the 28th passing offense last year and I can see him as a top five WR in a top passing offense. Sadly, under Ryan / Roman, the Bills offense simply isn't built that way.

As for resigning with Buffalo in two years, I have to wonder if Marcell Dareus's contract would have been up this offseason if he would have resigned with Buffalo or looked to be a fit in a 4-3 somewhere else. The man was vocal about how he disliked Ryan's scheme from training camp last season and I'll wager he probably isn't looking forward to playing in Ryan's 3-4 as a gap control NT.

On another note, should Ryan pull off a miracle with his defense and the Bills make the playoffs 2016 then everyone should be happy...even me! :D

How would it be a miracle given his track record?

Agreed.

And I have trouble excusing Whaley for the fact that he would NOT have drafted Beckham.

Whaley tends to over spend for contracts (Clay, McCoy, and even Marcel if he is to be used as a 350 pound corner) and over pay for trades (a 4th for Bryce Brown). He certainly made a few good draft selections (Darby and Karlos come to mind), but again, he has a propensity toward spending which has left us with a possible problem in paying Tyrod.

Jmo.

How would it be a miracle given his track record?

Because last season the defense was a disgrace of epic proportion. The talented defense was down more than 60% in sacks. How much worse could it have been?

Edited by Bill from NYC

Agreed.

And I have trouble excusing Whaley for the fact that he would NOT have drafted Beckham.

Whaley tends to over spend for contracts (Clay, McCoy, and even Marcel if he is to be used as a 350 pound corner) and over pay for trades (a 4th for Bryce Brown). He certainly made a few good draft selections (Darby and Karlos come to mind), but again, he has a propensity toward spending which has left us with a possible problem in paying Tyrod.

Jmo.

Because last season th defense was a disgrace of epic proportion. The talented defense was down more than 60% in sacks. How much worse could it have been?

There is an exaggeration of epic proportions. It could have been 32nd in total defense.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Agreed.

Jmo.

Because last season th defense was a disgrace of epic proportion. The talented defense was down more than 60% in sacks. How much worse could it have been?

That really isn't the case. The Bills are about $45M under the cap next year (or something like that). They can pay Tyrod whatever they want without releasing a guy.

The only way it's worth it if there is a way to prove the trade of picks and choice of Sammy Watkins translates into more wins, playoffs, championships. There's no real way to tell.

The question for me is, could we have picked another WR or equal impact player at # 9, and had a second impact player in 2015 at #19?

What we now possess is a highly talented WR who has sustained injuries in 2 consecutive seasons that kept him off the field and who doesn't have a Tom Brady caliber QB throwing to him. Having a middle of the road QB with limited experience diminishes the value and impact that a star WR gives to the team. Would the Bills have gained more by selecting a player with potential to be a dominating RT or LB? I don't know.

It's possible the Bills could have had a WR like Beckham, drafted a top edge rusher, safety, or LB in 2015, leaving the 2016 1st rounder available for a different need position - possibly #2 receiver or RT.

It's impossible to measure at this point. If the Bills never get to double digit wins, continue to miss the playoffs, and Watkins becomes a FA in 3 years, it could be viewed as a wasted move.

The simplest way to guage it is asking:

Is Watkins + no 2015 1st Rd pick more likely to get the Bills into contention than

(e.g.) Beckham + 2015 1st Rd.

If Watkins stays healthy and is complimented by other offensive players who can make plays, it will turn out to be a good trade. If he's doubled up and nobody else is getting them into the end zone, it was a waste.

The only way it's worth it if there is a way to prove the trade of picks and choice of Sammy Watkins translates into more wins, playoffs, championships. There's no real way to tell.

The question for me is, could we have picked another WR or equal impact player at # 9, and had a second impact player in 2015 at #19?

What we now possess is a highly talented WR who has sustained injuries in 2 consecutive seasons that kept him off the field and who doesn't have a Tom Brady caliber QB throwing to him. Having a middle of the road QB with limited experience diminishes the value and impact that a star WR gives to the team. Would the Bills have gained more by selecting a player with potential to be a dominating RT or LB? I don't know.

It's possible the Bills could have had a WR like Beckham, drafted a top edge rusher, safety, or LB in 2015, leaving the 2016 1st rounder available for a different need position - possibly #2 receiver or RT.

It's impossible to measure at this point. If the Bills never get to double digit wins, continue to miss the playoffs, and Watkins becomes a FA in 3 years, it could be viewed as a wasted move.

Is Watkins + no 2015 1st Rd pick more likely to get the Bills into contention than

If Watkins stays healthy and is complimented by other offensive players who can make plays, it will turn out to be a good trade. If he's doubled up and nobody else is getting them into the end zone, it was a waste.

Good thoughts! It was a gamble that Whaley and the Bills were willing to take to acquire a player they saw as the best in that draft class. I can't fault them for that line of reasoning. Now it's up to the coaching staff to maximize his talent within the structure of the offense to help the team win games.

Really good, well thought out post. Although, I have other thoughts on this.

I think there is more to it when a team makes a jump in spending three draft picks on a WR (two firsts) when they didn't already have an established franchise QB to throw to him!

That 2014 team had holes all over the roster in different areas. Specifically, that team lacked other receivers to keep opposing teams from doubling up on that one star. Like in only having one other decent WR, no real top TE. Then had serious holes in the offensive line at LG, RG, RT and questions at linebacker. This last area left me asking what QB is going to be standing up long enough to throw to that super star WR. The 2014 Buffalo Bills fielded the very worst offensive line for most of that season and only moved to 30th near the end.

So, when I saw the team use three draft picks and two firsts on a WR when the team has all those other needs, I can't help but ask where is the critical thinking in building a "complete" playoff team? That might have been a great move to sell tickets, but not to fill out the roster properly IMO. Then, not having that 2015 first round pick left another hole on the team unfilled.

The current 2016 roster still has many questions at different positions and still looks to have several holes. Not to mention that the most important position on the team is still under question.

Really good, well thought out post. Although, I have other thoughts on this.

I think there is more to it when a team makes a jump in spending three draft picks on a WR (two firsts) when they didn't already have an established franchise QB to throw to him!

That 2014 team had holes all over the roster in different areas. Specifically, that team lacked other receivers to keep opposing teams from doubling up on that one star. Like in only having one other decent WR, no real top TE. Then had serious holes in the offensive line at LG, RG, RT and questions at linebacker. This last area left me asking what QB is going to be standing up long enough to throw to that super star WR. The 2014 Buffalo Bills fielded the very worst offensive line for most of that season and only moved to 30th near the end.

So, when I saw the team use three draft picks and two firsts on a WR when the team has all those other needs, I can't help but ask where is the critical thinking in building a "complete" playoff team? That might have been a great move to sell tickets, but not to fill out the roster properly IMO. Then, not having that 2015 first round pick left another hole on the team unfilled.

The current 2016 roster still has many questions at different positions and still looks to have several holes. Not to mention that the most important position on the team is still under question.

Whaley took a chance on EJ taking another step and he gave him a weapon to do it with. Remember that the offensive cupboard was pretty bare going into 2013. We drafted 3 WR's in each of the first 3 rounds in 2 years. There really wasn't any other way to address the WR position through the draft more than we did.

I'm not a big Whaley cheerleader, and I do think he gets ahead of himself. That said, being a gambler has paid off sometimes in the NFL. In Sammy's case, it probably did. For better or worse.

While I understand the idea of taking a gamble on a once in a decade type player and the GM wanted to reach for a player with Watkins talent. Outside of Bills fans, most of the NFL world thinks that Beckham is the best WR in that years draft and he was the #5 WR in yards last year. Allen Robinson was #6, Mike Evans was #11, Jarvis Landry was #13, Brandin Cooks was #14 and Watkins came in at #22.

I just happen to think that the 2014 NFL draft was probably the best Wide Receiver draft in the entire history of the NFL. Just look at the WR talent in that draft. Mike Evans- Sammy Watkins- Odell Beckham Jr. Brandon Cooks, Allen Robenson, Jarvis Landry, John Brown, Kelvin Benjamin and with like another six players who could end up being very good.

Like Bill from NYC stated that It's like Whaley gets a pass for not thinking of drafting Odell Beckham Jr rather than TE Eric Ebron. Why didn't this scouting staff / GM recognize all that WR talent? They could have stood pat and taken Beckham, and still gotten Robinson or Landry in the second round.

Anyway, I wasn't a fan of the trade then and I'm still not a fan when the team still doesn't know if they have that franchise QB to throw to him. That QB position is the only position on the team I think is worth trading away three draft picks for and especially when the team has other areas of need.

Think of those areas of need, like that godawful 2014 O-line with Pears at RG :sick:

What he said.

Edited by Nihilarian

While I understand the idea of taking a gamble on a once in a decade type player and the GM wanted to reach for a player with Watkins talent. Outside of Bills fans, most of the NFL world thinks that Beckham is the best WR in that years draft and he was the #5 WR in yards last year. Allen Robinson was #6, Mike Evans was #11, Jarvis Landry was #13, Brandin Cooks was #14 and Watkins came in at #22.

I just happen to think that the 2014 NFL draft was probably the best Wide Receiver draft in the entire history of the NFL. Just look at the WR talent in that draft. Mike Evans- Sammy Watkins- Odell Beckham Jr. Brandon Cooks, Allen Robenson, Jarvis Landry, John Brown, Kelvin Benjamin and with like another six players who could end up being very good.

While all of those guys are pretty good I would bet (with the possible exception of Beckham) the GMs of those teams would trade any of those guys straight up for Watkins. That was a great WR draft. When all is said and done though I think that the guy the Bills got will be one of the 2 best. They went out and got an elite player with little downside. In addition to his massive upside he had little downside. There was no risk with Watkins.

While all of those guys are pretty good I would bet (with the possible exception of Beckham) the GMs of those teams would trade any of those guys straight up for Watkins. That was a great WR draft. When all is said and done though I think that the guy the Bills got will be one of the 2 best. They went out and got an elite player with little downside. In addition to his massive upside he had little downside. There was no risk with Watkins.

Are they going to pay him when his rookie contract is up?

Are they going to pay him when his rookie contract is up?

Absolutely (and it won't be cheap). They knew that coming in. I have my thoughts in one of the cap threads but the good news is the Bills will have their best players locked up long term (except Watkins) by next off-season. It's not like they have money tied up in Albert Haynesworth.

Whaley made a deal for a player who he thought was going to be an elite player. In my view that is what he is. Has his talents been maximized? No. But that is mostly due to the qb play. I don't understand the criticism Whaley is drawing for a player who turns out to be a top end talent.

There are opportunities to fill in holes through the draft and free agency. But there are few opportunities to get elite players unless you are at the top of the draft. Watkins has demonstrated that he was well worth the cost. The argument that Becham was also available has some merit but I am not bothered by not taking that option because the player that Whaley targeted as special turned out to be the caliber of player he envisioned.

I get tired of the argument that we gave up two first round picks for Watkins. That is not accurate characterization of that transaction. We gave up one first round pick for him. We moved up the draft in his draft year and we gave up a first in the next year. As it turned out our second round selection was worthy of a first round value. So the deal was on balance very fair and reasonable.

Whaley made a deal for a player who he thought was going to be an elite player. In my view that is what he is. Has his talents been maximized? No. But that is mostly due to the qb play. I don't understand the criticism Whaley is drawing for a player who turns out to be a top end talent.

There are opportunities to fill in holes through the draft and free agency. But there are few opportunities to get elite players unless you are at the top of the draft. Watkins has demonstrated that he was well worth the cost. The argument that Becham was also available has some merit but I am not bothered by not taking that option because the player that Whaley targeted as special turned out to be the caliber of player he envisioned.

I get tired of the argument that we gave up two first round picks for Watkins. That is not accurate characterization of that transaction. We gave up one first round pick for him. We moved up the draft in his draft year and we gave up a first in the next year. As it turned out our second round selection was worthy of a first round value. So the deal was on balance very fair and reasonable.

Well said, John and pretty much my exact feeling. The difference between Watkins and Beckham coming out was a matter of production. There was some risk with OBJ. He has turned into a fantastic player but there was some risk. Worst case scenario with Watkins was a low end #1. The team had a glaring hole and got a star. I'm fine with it.