Chris Hogan visiting Patriots-Signs $12M offer sheet

Nobody did that when we did it with Clay

Once again

Anything Patriots do = Genious

Bills do essentially the same thing with a higher caliber player = stupid

What did I say about Clay? As for the Pats, not everything they do works out. But their actions work out at a far higher rate than those of other teams. I'll play the percentages with the Pats on this one.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I trust that the Pats - who are FAR better at cap management than any other team - know what they're doing. The bottom line is that he's a good signing. They have the space this year, and if you notice, his cap #s go DOWN in years 2 and 3 of the contract (in contrast to what usually happens)--$5.5 million of the total $12 million is being absorbed in year one of the deal. Note that they don't have to pay a first round pick this year either.

People need to look at the larger context of NE cap management before passing judgment on this deal.

The Bills really should be investing in players side businesses to get around the cap. Thats the key

Why is it that when New England overpays for our mediocre players we go into a panic?

Anyone with eyes could tell you that Scott Chandler was a middling tight end with major athletic limitations. We get a real TE in Clay but suddenly because Belichick signs him Chandler must be some secret weapon.

Chandler is on the street, because amazingly, Brady couldn't turn him into a superstar and a red zone nightmare. Now they have discovered a diamond in the rough in Chris Hogan. I'm so scared.

its pretty amusing if using the equation Kirby noticed that the more the bills targeted chandler/hogan the more they lost. chandler didnt magically become a better player for them, and hogan too will have his limitations. he will make some plays, but unless they fix his field awareness, route running, etc.... im quite alright with him coming up short of the chains against us.

"The film" - LOL. I watched all the games on TV, just like you did. It happened a couple of times.

The film meaning not just the TV feed. The all-22s are excellent for seeing that it happened far more than you're acknowledging. With those you can isolate players and watch the whole play develop far better than you can on TV when you're only seeing half the field. Field awareness is a skill Hogan lacks.

we're worried about losing Chris Hogan? This team has more serious concerns on defense to be worried about losing a 3rd/4th WR

I don't think people are worried, even the ones who are arguing he's better than most think. Hogan is JAG. Always has been.

"The film" - LOL. I watched all the games on TV, just like you did. It happened a couple of times. Will it continue to be an issue, or were those events outliers?

It didn't happen a couple of times in just one season. It's been a consistent problem for the past few years. Hogan is a guy the Bills can easily replace, this wouldn't even be a concern if it wasn't for the Pats being the team that signed him. Had it been anybody else people would have said, "ehh, let them have him."

we're worried about losing Chris Hogan? This team has more serious concerns on defense to be worried about losing a 3rd/4th WR

I don't know if I'm specifically worried about Hogan, but rather the lack of talent behind Watkins and Woods. Hogan is a solid WR3/WR4 type in our offense, and could very well be a WR2 target in NE, depending on circumstances.

We need to pick up some depth at WR if Hogan, Harvin and Goodwin are gone*

I assume the Bills aren't keeping Goodwin around, but he hasn't be released yet afaik.

I think it's a bit early for these claims.

Scott Chandler was suppose to be a stud there too.

EDIT: Amendola was suppose to be a "stud" when they signed him away from St. Louis, that hasn't really worked out.

I never said it about Chandler. I rate Hogan. Always have. Think he is a fit in New England and I will stick my neck out and say he has a good year in 2016.

EDIT: I am not doing the "Bills are idiots to let him get away" thing either. I said the other week before we tendered him that with our cap situation tendering a #3 WR was a luxury we probably couldnt afford.

Edited by GunnerBill

I never said it about Chandler. I rate Hogan. Always have. Think he is a fit in New England and I will stick my neck out and say he has a good year in 2016.

EDIT: I am not doing the "Bills are idiots to let him get away" thing either. I said the other week before we tendered him that with our cap situation tendering a #3 WR was a luxury we probably couldnt afford.

I don't think you're coming off that way (you or really anyone in this thread for that matter). You've always had a higher opinion of Hogan than me, but that doesn't mean you think the Bills are idiots for letting him get away. No harm, just good football discussion.

What did I say about Clay? As for the Pats, not everything they do works out. But their actions work out at a far higher rate than those of other teams. I'll play the percentages with the Pats on this one.

Because they have a QB

and for literally no other reason. They dont draft particulary well......their free agents often dont work out.....

Neither Tyrod or EJ run the quick passing game that a guy like Hogan works well in, imo.

Tyrod and Brady have different strengths.

Great post. Hogan may indeed do very well in NE's offense and he may be worth $4M/yr to them. His production in the Bills' offense can easily be replaced with a better fit to the scheme though. A lesser version of the Mario situation - if you can't or won't take advantage of what a player does best then he's not worth much to your team. Edited by BarleyNY

Hogan takes advantage of having a Sammy Watkins drawing all the attention on the field

We have see what Chris does when Sammy is out

In case you haven't seen New England play football, they take advantage of whatever match up you give them and when you split 3 wide add gronk and a good recieving RB, Hogan will be open. He'll have a career best season and blow away any numbers he'd ever amass in buffalo.

I honestly think this works out best for all. Pats overpay Hogan (a likable guy with a great story) gets a dream shot to work with the best, and buffalo gets to go look for guys that fit Tyrod and Roman better.

Hogan lovers and haters can continue debating the Bills catastrophic implosion from his void vs the pats cutting him before camp because he's the worst WR to ever step on the field at any level.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

meh, we will probably lose to them anyway with or without him. It's the rest of the matchups I worry about. I think they might cut Amendola to save cash and hogan is a downgrade IMO. If they sign hogan, we get that 1.67 back in cap and maybe sign a LB or NT for depth, draft a tall or speed WR to replace him.

this . give me the 1.67 back. Hogan is good player, but not edelman/amendola/welker good. Brady would make me look good, so look for Hogan to become a "star" and the Bills getting blasted for "letting him get away".

Clay will take all his catches this year anyway. I see Charles Clay becoming Antonio Gates this year. I really do. Roman has a hundred ways to throw to the TE and I think we will see them all this year.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

It didn't happen a couple of times in just one season. It's been a consistent problem for the past few years. Hogan is a guy the Bills can easily replace, this wouldn't even be a concern if it wasn't for the Pats being the team that signed him. Had it been anybody else people would have said, "ehh, let them have him."

I don't actually believe this to be true. I honestly think people are taking 2-3 instances and blowing it up into many with zero evidence to back it up other than vague claims. Which games? Which plays? Which seasons? (There are only 2 real ones, not a few.) I watch the games like everyone (and no, one doesn't need an all-22 feed to know if a guy catches a ball too short of the sticks--the TV feed catches those).

Edited by dave mcbride