Chris Hogan visiting Patriots-Signs $12M offer sheet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great. So they replaced Brandon LaFell.

Whoopy.

Not the best comparison given that they play different WR roles, but in any event Hogan holds more promise than LeFell at this point. LaFell isn't very good,and Hogan is better than Bills fans think he is. I trust Belichick on this one.

Who knows what the Bills really think of Hogan, but I would not read too much into the low tender by the Bills since they are up against the cap and were limited in what they could do at that time.

Interesting that a lot of the players released or not tendered have found homes quickly in free agency (Bradham, Brooks, Williams, Hogan (yes, I know he was tendered), McKelvin and Charles).

You don't feel Hogan isn't worth $2.5M to us, or you feel it's not true that's what the Bills FO and coaches think?

And if the latter, if the Bills thought Hogan was worth $2.5M why wouldn't they have put the higher tender on him and gotten a draft pick for compensation if he left?

Because they may have thought they could get him for cheaper. Why pay $2.5M if you can get him for less?

The issue isn't the Bills missing his production; the issue is that (in my opinion) he improves the best team in our division. I think he'll do well in NE.

He'll be fine because Brady is a better QB. But he's not a world beater. Brady can't magically implant field awareness into Chris's brain. I can't wait to see Belichick and Brady explode the first time Hogan comes up 1 yard short on 3rd and medium because he cut his route off too short.

He'll be fine because Brady is a better QB. But he's not a world beater. Brady can't magically implant field awareness into Chris's brain. I can't wait to see Belichick and Brady explode the first time Hogan comes up 1 yard short on 3rd and medium because he cut his route off too short.

That stuff is way overblown, in my opinion. Yeah, it happened once or twice, but whatever. That's not what I focus on.

Not the best comparison given that they play different WR roles, but in any event Hogan holds more promise than LeFell at this point. LaFell isn't very good,and Hogan is better than Bills fans think he is. I trust Belichick on this one.

Who's comparing them?

The Pats let Brandon LaFell go and his target volume will likely be assumed by Hogan and/or a combination of Hogan and a healthy Edleman.

Either way, the acquisition of Hogan won't have a tremendous impact on their offense. Expect more of the same. They'll be good and Hogan will be good in their system. But they won't be substantially better with LaFell gone and Hogan replacing him.

Oh, I see you skimmed over the part where he's caught 3 passes in 2 seasons while missing 20 games. Maybe that wasn't on the wikipedia page.

He's more committed to going to the Olympics than playing NFL football. And who can blame him? He can't stay healthy.

You posted: "Buffalo's current depth behind Sammy and Robert Woods now consists of Hankerson, Easley, Salas, Dez Lewis, Greg Little, Walt Powell, and Jarrett Boykin."

The fact is, Goodwin is part of that current depth and you omitted him.

Like others on that list, he may not be on the Bills final roster. He may get injured. He may make the Olympics team and the Bills may tell him "pick one". But he's part of the Bills current depth at WR.

Why is it so difficult for you to simply acknowledge a fact?

The issue isn't the Bills missing his production; the issue is that (in my opinion) he improves the best team in our division. I think he'll do well in NE.

he does no such thing at all. Brady may get more production out of Chris, but Chris will do nothing to make Brady better.

Hogan was average and average is what you let go. Now Stephan Charles was a much tougher pill to swallow, but this draft is deep in Stephan Charles type players

Edited by ddaryl

You're underselling it. It was a constant struggle for Hogan. Go watch the film.

"The film" - LOL. I watched all the games on TV, just like you did. It happened a couple of times. Will it continue to be an issue, or were those events outliers? Who knows? Again, I trust the Pats when it comes to this sort of stuff. They're not treating him like he's the second coming of Jerry Rice, after all. They think he'll improve their offense overall, which he probably will. He's an upgrade over the guys they presumably aren't going to keep (LaFell, Dobson).

he does no such thing at all. Brady may get more production out of Chris, but Chris will do nothing to make Brady better.

Hogan was average and average is what you let go. Now Stephan Charles was a much tougher pill to swallow, but this draft is deep in Stephan Charles type players

I think you're wrong about Hogan, but the proof will be in the pudding. It'll be fun to revisit next off-season.

Again, I trust that the Pats - who are FAR better at cap management than any other team - know what they're doing. The bottom line is that he's a good signing. They have the space this year, and if you notice, his cap #s go DOWN in years 2 and 3 of the contract (in contrast to what usually happens)--$5.5 million of the total $12 million is being absorbed in year one of the deal. Note that they don't have to pay a first round pick this year either.

People need to look at the larger context of NE cap management before passing judgment on this deal.

Nobody did that when we did it with Clay

Once again

Anything Patriots do = Genious

Bills do essentially the same thing with a higher caliber player = stupid

Edited by John from Hemet

Was Charles even active all year?