Chris Hogan visiting Patriots-Signs $12M offer sheet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people keep insisting that Hogan won't work out in NE because Scott Chandler didn't? What the hell does one have to do with the other? Chandler was clearly at the end of his career. Hogan clearly is not. I think it's pretty predictable that Hogan will work out well in NE.

Because the posters did not like either player.

Hogan caught 36 passes for 450 yards last year and 2 TDs.

Buffalo's current depth behind Sammy and Robert Woods now consists of Hankerson, Easley, Salas, Dez Lewis, Greg Little, Walt Powell, and Jarrett Boykin.

That group combined managed a whopping 30 catches for 426 yards and 4 TDs, most of which came from Hankerson who spent time with 3 franchises last year.

Hogan isn't a world-beater. But their third receiver will be someone who's unproven.

Maybe they'll run it 40 times per game next season.

Wait, did I miss something? When did we cut Goodwin? Can't find it in Google.

Like it or don't, having a 2nd good TE to pair with Clay and a strong blocking WR is far more important to Roman than having a small WR who can catch across the middle, but who arguably tore his wrists up filling the blocking assignments they asked of him.

Ok maybe round 2

CBF

Still doubtful unless someone really falls.

Like it or don't, having a 2nd good TE to pair with Clay and a strong blocking WR is far more important to Roman than having a small WR who can catch across the middle, but who arguably tore his wrists up filling the blocking assignments they asked of him.

Ok maybe round 3 lol

CBF

I love me some 'quise, but he's a long jumper going to Rio. He'll miss most if not all of TC, so count on some type of injury in his first game back. I love me some 'quise, but dude is not a football player.

I might be alone in this, but I think a decent number 3 is in that group. One or two will emerge, and they'll probably add others before training camp.

Salas looked better than Hogan in the last two games of the season. And Little and Boykin have way more upside than Hogan. Hogan's catching a ball near the first down marker and not falling forward, but rather circling backwards to try and get more yardage-only to be stopped short of the first down every time was maddening.

Come training camp is anyone on this board going to even remember Chris Hogan? Seriously, he had three big plays for us. The catch against the Vikings in 2014, and the two catches against Tennessee on the winning drive last season. Other than that, what am I missing?

Isn't there a fairly decent chance Goodwin doesn't make it to Rio? Yes I know he will probably get hurt anyway but he isn't a lock to make the Olympic team, right?

Salas looked better than Hogan in the last two games of the season. And Little and Boykin have way more upside than Hogan. Hogan's catching a ball near the first down marker and not falling forward, but rather circling backwards to try and get more yardage-only to be stopped short of the first down every time was maddening.

Come training camp is anyone on this board going to even remember Chris Hogan? Seriously, he had three big plays for us. The catch against the Vikings in 2014, and the two catches against Tennessee on the winning drive last season. Other than that, what am I missing?

He won the HR competition at Shady's charity softball game B-)

He has never topped his yards or recs as a Ram, while with the Pats.

... yet he was phenomenal in the 2014 playoffs - in 2 of the 3 games, he had a total of 10 catches and 3 TDs. Yet he did barely anything against Indy in the championship game (they ran it down Indy's throat). The point is that judging Pats players like Amendola on stats alone misses the point. Belichick utilizes particular players in particular games, and it's game to game. BB is smart like that -- always situational. Amendola's not Edelman, of course, but he's a valuable player -- far more valuable than his stats in dictate. I expect that Hogan will be utilized in the best possible way too, but I don't expect huge stats. Instead, I expect the occasional big game when he's chosen as the weapon.

He's a great signing by the Pats and a loss for the Bills. I'll take BB's ability to evaluate Chris Hogan any day over the Hogan critics on this board (no offense, guys). He makes mistakes, sure, but he also cleans house immediately if a guy doesn't work out (Chandler, Ochocinco). As for Hogan, the guy was playing one-handed last year. That really needs to be emphasized when discussing his late-season performance.

What you're missing is not seeing him play in an offense with a QB who looks everywhere quickly and makes throws everywhere. Don't get me wrong -- I like Tyrod. But he's no Brady.

I might be alone in this, but I think a decent number 3 is in that group. One or two will emerge, and they'll probably add others before training camp.

That means it's another position where the Bills "hope" someone stands out. Journeymen, low cost UFAs, and UDFAs aren't going to make this team better anytime soon.

Oh, I see you skimmed over the part where he's caught 3 passes in 2 seasons while missing 20 games. Maybe that wasn't on the wikipedia page.

He's more committed to going to the Olympics than playing NFL football. And who can blame him? He can't stay healthy.

... yet he was phenomenal in the 2014 playoffs - in 2 of the 3 games, he had a total of 10 catches and 3 TDs. Yet he did barely anything against Indy in the championship game (they ran it down Indy's throat). The point is that judging Pats players like Amendola on stats alone misses the point. Belichick utilizes particular players in particular games, and it's game to game. BB is smart like that -- always situational. Amendola's not Edelman, of course, but he's a valuable player -- far more valuable than his stats in dictate. I expect that Hogan will be utilized in the best possible way too, but I don't expect huge stats. Instead, I expect the occasional big game when he's chosen as the weapon.

He's a great signing by the Pats and a loss for the Bills. I'll take BB's ability to evaluate Chris Hogan any day over the Hogan critics on this board (no offense, guys). He makes mistakes, sure, but he also cleans house immediately if a guy doesn't work out (Chandler, Ochocinco). As for Hogan, the guy was playing one-handed last year. That really needs to be emphasized when discussing his late-season performance.

What you're missing is not seeing him play in an offense with a QB who looks everywhere quickly and makes throws everywhere. Don't get me wrong -- I like Tyrod. But he's no Brady.

Dave, three years $12m mostly guaranteed. His mother doesn't think he's worth that.

Of course he will. They throw the ball 50x/game and he's going to be the #2 WR it appears unless they keep Amendola. Either way, he is bound to see the ball more. They aren't paying him to shine Sammy's shoes like he was doing here.

That is utter nonsense for he was catching balls before Sammy and Tyrod got in sync.

Dave, three years $12m mostly guaranteed. His mother doesn't think he's worth that.

Again, I trust that the Pats - who are FAR better at cap management than any other team - know what they're doing. The bottom line is that he's a good signing. They have the space this year, and if you notice, his cap #s go DOWN in years 2 and 3 of the contract (in contrast to what usually happens)--$5.5 million of the total $12 million is being absorbed in year one of the deal. Note that they don't have to pay a first round pick this year either.

People need to look at the larger context of NE cap management before passing judgment on this deal.

I don't think that's necessarily true.

You don't feel Hogan isn't worth $2.5M to us, or you feel it's not true that's what the Bills FO and coaches think?

And if the latter, if the Bills thought Hogan was worth $2.5M why wouldn't they have put the higher tender on him and gotten a draft pick for compensation if he left?

Hogan caught 36 passes for 450 yards last year and 2 TDs.

Buffalo's current depth behind Sammy and Robert Woods now consists of Hankerson, Easley, Salas, Dez Lewis, Greg Little, Walt Powell, and Jarrett Boykin.

That group combined managed a whopping 30 catches for 426 yards and 4 TDs, most of which came from Hankerson who spent time with 3 franchises last year.

Hogan isn't a world-beater. But their third receiver will be someone who's unproven.

Maybe they'll run it 40 times per game next season.

Maybe the NFL will hold a draft this year. Maybe WR's will be available to be drafted about 7 times over.

I'm hoping they have one, fingers crossed.

Edited by Ryan L Billz