Chris Hogan visiting Patriots-Signs $12M offer sheet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't actually believe this to be true. I honestly think people are taking 2-3 instances and blowing it up into many with zero evidence to back it up other than vague claims. Which games? Which plays? Which seasons? (There are only 2 real ones, not a few.) I watch the games like everyone (and no, one doesn't need an all-22 feed to know if a guy catches a ball too short of the sticks--the TV feed catches those).

And yet it is. Funny you can make that claim while also admitting you haven't watched the film. It happened on more than just catches, which is why the all 22s are enlightening. He consistently cut routes off short, and displayed over and over again that his field awareness is lacking. Which is what you'd expect from a guy who didn't play much football before coming to the NFL.

In case you haven't seen New England play football, they take advantage of whatever match up you give them and when you split 3 wide add gronk and a good recieving RB, Hogan will be open. He'll have a career best season and blow away any numbers he'd ever amass in buffalo.

I honestly think this works out best for all. Pats overpay Hogan (a likable guy with a great story) gets a dream shot to work with the best, and buffalo gets to go look for guys that fit Tyrod and Roman better.

Hogan lovers and haters can continue debating the Bills catastrophic implosion from his void vs the pats cutting him before camp because he's the worst WR to ever step on the field at any level.

My point is yes when you have Brady he just does his thing no matter what he is throwing to.....so why invest so much money in Hogan?

I mean....I like Hogan but I dont see anything in him that couldnt be replaced with some of the street free agents we picked up at the end of last year.

Our passing game revolves around Watkins and needs to revolve around Clay more....we have Woods.......how about getting Dez Lewis more involved?

My point is yes when you have Brady he just does his thing no matter what he is throwing to.....so why invest so much money in Hogan?

I mean....I like Hogan but I dont see anything in him that couldnt be replaced with some of the street free agents we picked up at the end of last year.

Our passing game revolves around Watkins and needs to revolve around Clay more....we have Woods.......how about getting Dez Lewis more involved?

My belief is the one thing hogan specifically does very very well, (get open fast) is the only thing NE cares about with their WRs more than ANYTHING else.

I'm beyond good players are good and bad players are bad anymore. I've seen enough to believe, given the level of competition, that the skill set fits or misfits are what drive everything. Including teams valuations of players (or at least the good teams)

Mario- he's a pro bowl wide 9 DE. And he's barely a starter in a two gap system.

Preston brown is a above average 4-3 MLB, in a simple scheme playing clean up in the middle. He's not a competent starter in a scheme where LBs penetrate and persue while the line executes gap control.

Look at Demarco Murray in a zone read run scheme vs all chips lateral movement stuff.

New England has demonstrated this time and time again, where guys thrive there and stink elsewhere. Brees in San Diego vs New Orleans.. Even manning in Kubiaks offense

You posted: "Buffalo's current depth behind Sammy and Robert Woods now consists of Hankerson, Easley, Salas, Dez Lewis, Greg Little, Walt Powell, and Jarrett Boykin."

The fact is, Goodwin is part of that current depth and you omitted him.

Like others on that list, he may not be on the Bills final roster. He may get injured. He may make the Olympics team and the Bills may tell him "pick one". But he's part of the Bills current depth at WR.

Why is it so difficult for you to simply acknowledge a fact?

Yep, you're right. Goodwin is on the roster and may be considered depth.

The question is, what's the over/under on how many games he actually suits up? Does his commitment to an Olympic run preclude him from really being a factor in 2016. And how does his 3 catches in 12 games played over the past 2 seasons make him this amazing depth Buffalo has?

Go ahead and keep quibbling about their lack of WR depth behind Watkins and Woods. I bow to your omniscience.

This doesn't bother me. I think Hogan hit his ceiling in Buffalo, and I don't blame him for it. The Bills never found an effective way to use him and they didn't seem to try very hard to achieve this. The Pats will, and they made that clear with the guaranteed money they offered him. Regardless of how well he does in New England, I will reject the "he would have done that for us" argument for two reasons:

1. He'll have a HOF QB throwing to him and will be playing for a HOF coach who hits more than he misses on free agents he hand picks for his system.
  2. He'll be a focal point of New England's office. In Buffalo, there has been no indication that his role would have changed in 2016.

Hogan vs. Amendola: Hogan is bigger, younger, quicker, fresher and more versatile. Amendola is signed through 2017, but the cap hit should be minimal if he's cut after the 2016 season. I don't see them keeping him past 2016 because they have a bunch of defensive guys up for renewal after this season. To me, Amendola and Edelman are the same player, and neither is a downfield threat. Situationally, Hogan could be.

I'm a big fan of guys who work hard and don't complain. Hogan is a team-first guy and I wish him well.

And yet it is. Funny you can make that claim while also admitting you haven't watched the film. It happened on more than just catches, which is why the all 22s are enlightening. He consistently cut routes off short, and displayed over and over again that his field awareness is lacking. Which is what you'd expect from a guy who didn't play much football before coming to the NFL.

This over-repeated bit was debunked many threads ago.

But, since you claim to know, tell us exactly how many times Hogan cut routes short.

Yep, you're right. Goodwin is on the roster and may be considered depth.

The question is, what's the over/under on how many games he actually suits up? Does his commitment to an Olympic run preclude him from really being a factor in 2016. And how does his 3 catches in 12 games played over the past 2 seasons make him this amazing depth Buffalo has?

Go ahead and keep quibbling about their lack of WR depth behind Watkins and Woods. I bow to your omniscience.

I am not counting on Goodwin for anything frankly......he has not shown that he deserves that

but that does not mean we dont have targets......there were a couple of WR's we brought in at the end of last year that I saw real potential in

My belief is the one thing hogan specifically does very very well, (get open fast) is the only thing NE cares about with their WRs more than ANYTHING else.

I'm beyond good players are good and bad players are bad anymore. I've seen enough to believe, given the level of competition, that the skill set fits or misfits are what drive everything. Including teams valuations of players (or at least the good teams)

Mario- he's a pro bowl wide 9 DE. And he's barely a starter in a two gap system.

Preston brown is a above average 4-3 MLB, in a simple scheme playing clean up in the middle. He's not a competent starter in a scheme where LBs penetrate and persue while the line executes gap control.

Look at Demarco Murray in a zone read run scheme vs all chips lateral movement stuff.

New England has demonstrated this time and time again, where guys thrive there and stink elsewhere. Brees in San Diego vs New Orleans.. Even manning in Kubiaks offense

+1. You need players that fit your system

I don't get it... The guy runs good routes, makes an occasional nice play, blocks well, plays hurt, can get open downfield, and gained a reputation for getting open. He's a quality 3/4 WR that does what they ask him to. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But the hate.... Why?

I have to agree. so much vitriol for the lunch pail is unwarranted in my opinion.

Drops balls, fails to pick up first downs, alligator arm passes... IMO, he's overrated by Bills fans.

so you are actually mad at the Fans then?

:devil:

@mikerodak

Per @AdamSchefter, Chris Hogan is signing 3-year, $12M offer sheet with NE this morning. $5.5M cap number in 2016.

@RapSheet

Given the structure of WR Chris Hogan's #Patriots offer sheet, the #Bills aren't expected to match. Final call coming when they see details.

So now the Bills need to draft QB Kevin Hogan to keep Hogan's Heroes alive.